Remember me
▼ Content

Mount Everest glaciers are melting. And it's exposing the bodies of dead climbers


Mount Everest glaciers are melting. And it's exposing the bodies of dead climbers22-03-2019 22:33
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1031)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/03/22/mount-everest-melting-exposing-bodies-dead-climbers/3245459002/
22-03-2019 22:44
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3688)
Should we be worried about expanding/growing Himalayan glaciers COVERING dead bodies now?
22-03-2019 23:49
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7976)
Well...at least they're being found.

Did you know that glaciers flow and melt on the ends? Why is this news (other than finding the lost bodies of climbers)?

Oh...that's right...it's USA Today. Another rag I ignore.
Edited on 22-03-2019 23:50
23-03-2019 03:17
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(694)
How many climbers die each year, and how long does it typically take to recover the bodies? Is there a list of the lost, and never recovered? I grew up on the side of a snow capped mountain in Oregon, climbers lost every year. Some aren't found until spring, or even summer. Quite a list of never found remains. And that's a much smaller mountain, compared to Everest. Doubt seriously that you would find anything unusual about finding remains of lost climbers, somebody eventually stumbles across them.
23-03-2019 17:31
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7976)
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many climbers die each year, and how long does it typically take to recover the bodies? Is there a list of the lost, and never recovered? I grew up on the side of a snow capped mountain in Oregon, climbers lost every year. Some aren't found until spring, or even summer. Quite a list of never found remains. And that's a much smaller mountain, compared to Everest. Doubt seriously that you would find anything unusual about finding remains of lost climbers, somebody eventually stumbles across them.


There is such a list for every mountain that people climb. Popular climbs tend to get longer lists. Even Yosemite, which loses all of it's snow pretty early, has such a list of climbers that are never found. Presumably, their bodies are somewhere in the woods below and became animal food, or they never climbed it in the first place and simply used the method to disappear.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 23-03-2019 17:33
23-03-2019 18:05
paramount99
☆☆☆☆☆
(39)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/03/22/mount-everest-melting-exposing-bodies-dead-climbers/3245459002/


Yes I have to agree with most of the reply posts here... This is nothing more than a post regarding bodies of past climbers (on Everest here) popping or emerging out of the snow at some point - which many will inevitably do. Snow and ice (and rocks) also moves downhill and not up, and glaciers mostly spew out (sorry for edginess word used) bodies eventually as they too move downhill and not up... Whole aircraft (well bits and bobs) have exited and been rediscovered after many years in the same way. Snow and Ice come and go as they always have done so for hundreds of millions of years - without threads of global warming popping up if only to cause or create mass global hysteria of mostly misinformed people. The Vikings (just to let you know these were around way before global warming hysteria) colonised both Iceland (they named it) and then Greenland (yes they named this too) during a period from about 874AD and 1200AD (at 1203AD the weather changed drastically) when the weather got much, much, much hotter than is currently is. They grew crops in both places where today it is way too cold to do so - and they never once complained about global warming... Or global cooling... They just got on with life... Time Magazine in the 70s put up a report about a coming Ice Age, as the weather had been moderately chilly for a few number of years. Another instance of global warming hysteria gone barmy. Maybe we should simply call it 'Global Weather...' and just get on with it like those steely Vikings etc?!?
23-03-2019 18:18
Wake
★★★★★
(4026)
HarveyH55 wrote:
How many climbers die each year, and how long does it typically take to recover the bodies? Is there a list of the lost, and never recovered? I grew up on the side of a snow capped mountain in Oregon, climbers lost every year. Some aren't found until spring, or even summer. Quite a list of never found remains. And that's a much smaller mountain, compared to Everest. Doubt seriously that you would find anything unusual about finding remains of lost climbers, somebody eventually stumbles across them.


As a rule, at least one person is killed every year. They normally are killed in flash storms that come up with deep snow and high winds displacing the bodies for considerable distances from the trails.

If they are not found during the climbing season they are usually buried in the snow and conveyed via glacier movement down to the foot of the glaciers where they can be found. These glaciers ebb and flow with normal conditions and we cannot discover any unusual variations in the seasons on Mt. Everest. Looking back through the records it appears that there has been more than 40 years since there was a year without a climber dying and that was unusually cold and stormy, forcing only the most competent climbers to try it.
23-03-2019 23:48
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3688)
Wake wrote:As a rule, at least one person is killed every year. They normally are killed in flash storms that come up with deep snow and high winds displacing the bodies for considerable distances from the trails.

If they are not found during the climbing season they are usually buried in the snow and conveyed via glacier movement down to the foot of the glaciers where they can be found. These glaciers ebb and flow with normal conditions and we cannot discover any unusual variations in the seasons on Mt. Everest. Looking back through the records it appears that there has been more than 40 years since there was a year without a climber dying and that was unusually cold and stormy, forcing only the most competent climbers to try it.

Has anyone given birth on Mt. Everest?


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
24-03-2019 02:07
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(694)
IBdaMann wrote:
Wake wrote:As a rule, at least one person is killed every year. They normally are killed in flash storms that come up with deep snow and high winds displacing the bodies for considerable distances from the trails.

If they are not found during the climbing season they are usually buried in the snow and conveyed via glacier movement down to the foot of the glaciers where they can be found. These glaciers ebb and flow with normal conditions and we cannot discover any unusual variations in the seasons on Mt. Everest. Looking back through the records it appears that there has been more than 40 years since there was a year without a climber dying and that was unusually cold and stormy, forcing only the most competent climbers to try it.

Has anyone given birth on Mt. Everest?


Likely quite a few, they aren't all monks living on the mountain. Not all monks have vows, to handle it themselves...




Join the debate Mount Everest glaciers are melting. And it's exposing the bodies of dead climbers:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Siberian ice melting!012-06-2019 21:32
Mike Pompeo: Melting Arctic Ice Presents New Trade Opportunities028-05-2019 15:33
Almost all glaciers are in sharp decline10418-05-2019 04:02
Arctic's melting permafrost will cost nearly $70 trillion, study finds101-05-2019 21:12
Research examines new links between retreating glaciers and global warming130-04-2019 16:04
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact