Remember me
▼ Content

microwave

microwave19-12-2020 01:55
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I have been doing more research and my latest understanding is as certain wavelenghts of light pass by dipole molecules it excites them making them wriggle or spin or both.Carbon does this apparently and this is the warming theory.As usual the practical aplication should make the carbon rise so the upper layers should be warming more than the lower layers.This is not occuring and how dare I mention Global warming on a climate debate site when it is clear this site is for election results and covid updates

duncan61
19-12-2020 03:14
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14407)
duncan61 wrote:I have been doing more research and my latest understanding is as certain wavelenghts of light pass by dipole molecules it excites them making them wriggle or spin or both.Carbon does this apparently and this is the warming theory.

1) Error 1: Carbon (C) is not carbon-dioxide (CO2).
2) Error 2: The theory, i.e. Greenhouse Effect, involves a spontaneous increase in temperature without any additional energy, i.e. a violation of thermodynamics. Your example above, on the other hand, merely illustrates energy changing form which is perfectly in-line with the 1st law of thermodynamics. Nobody questions the ability of matter to increase in temperature when energy is added. The problem emerges when an increase in temperature is claimed without any additional energy.

duncan61 wrote: As usual the practical aplication should make the carbon rise so the upper layers should be warming more than the lower layers.

Error 3: CO2 is heavier than either Oxygen (O2) or Nitrogen (N2). As such, CO2 "falls" or "settles" towards the ground over time. Anything involving CO2 would have a more pronounced effect at the bottom of the atmosphere than at any other altitude.

duncan61 wrote:This is not occuring and how dare I mention Global warming on a climate debate site when it is clear this site is for election results and covid updates

I was going to ask you what you were thinking.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
19-12-2020 06:18
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Microwaves and global warming is an interesting topic. Microwave ovens are tuned to 2.45 GHz, the resonant frequency of water. the 2.4 GHz band is also used for WiFi, cell phones, and many other transmitters as well. I've resisted getting a cell phone, as the thought of holding a mini-microwave oven to the side of my head, just never seemed like a healthy idea. Well, actually, the billing nonsense, contracts, minutes, texts, and all that other crap. Not to mention I don't really need to be on call 24/7 for anything, or care to be on a leash, by a woman. Sometimes, I just need some peace and quiet.
19-12-2020 06:25
(14407)
HarveyH55 wrote: Microwave ovens are tuned to 2.45 GHz, the resonant frequency of water.

Harvey, I have bad news for you. Microwave ovens are not tuned to the 22.2GHz resonance frequency of water.

Yes, I was disappointed too when I found out.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
19-12-2020 07:37
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I did not post CO2 as it is only the carbon atom that is dipole not the 2 oxygen atoms.I had it explained to me well and am not fully with it yet but am finding it fascinating.Remember my main aim is to have answers if I ever meet a warmazombie.I have to have the ability to calmly refute the claims with logic
19-12-2020 11:50
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
duncan61 wrote:
I have been doing more research and my latest understanding is as certain wavelenghts of light pass by dipole molecules it excites them making them wriggle or spin or both.Carbon does this apparently and this is the warming theory.As usual the practical aplication should make the carbon rise so the upper layers should be warming more than the lower layers.This is not occuring and how dare I mention Global warming on a climate debate site when it is clear this site is for election results and covid updates

Carbon dioxide can absorb infrared light and convert that to thermal energy. It does not rise simply because that energy is dissipated into the surrounding air. We aren't talking about enough energy to overcome the natural adiabatic lapse rate of the air.

Air is warmed by the surface any through conductive heating. The absorption of infrared light by CO2 is just another way for the surface to warm the air.

In all cases, the surface is cooled by this heating of the air.

Air has a natural adiabatic lapse rate (a natural rate of cooling with altitude). This is normally 3.5 deg F or 2 deg C. This is pretty consistent up to about 36000 feet or so (the stratopause, where jet aircraft like to fly).

Air will not rise unless it is cooler at altitude than the normal lapse rate. This situation is called 'unstable air' by meteorologists. Any at or less is called 'stable air'.

Air has weight. Only air that is warmer than it's surroundings will rise. The cooler surrounding air helps to push the warmer air aloft.

If air is stable, there is generally no cooler surrounding air around to push warm air aloft.

Hot air balloons contain a bubble of very warm air, much warmer than the cooler air around it. That's why they fly. They get the energy to make that warmer air from the burner. Once out of fuel, the balloon must come down.

Helium filled balloons are lighter than just plain air. That's why they float.
Hydrogen can also be used, but it's flammable, making such a balloon dangerous.

At the stratopause, temperature stops dropping with altitude. Air will no longer rise due to temperature. This is why storms generally don't extend into the stratosphere, unless they are so strong the inertia in the rising air carries them up a bit into there. Only strong storms have this kind of velocity of rising air.

Right next to such storms is the 'down elevator' to compensate for the 'up elevator' in the storm. This rapidly descending air is what brings the rain (and even some ozone) down and in front of the leading edge of the storm. It's that 'rain smell' you sometimes get before a strong storm hits.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-12-2020 12:00
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Microwaves and global warming is an interesting topic. Microwave ovens are tuned to 2.45 GHz, the resonant frequency of water. the 2.4 GHz band is also used for WiFi, cell phones, and many other transmitters as well. I've resisted getting a cell phone, as the thought of holding a mini-microwave oven to the side of my head, just never seemed like a healthy idea. Well, actually, the billing nonsense, contracts, minutes, texts, and all that other crap. Not to mention I don't really need to be on call 24/7 for anything, or care to be on a leash, by a woman. Sometimes, I just need some peace and quiet.

The resonant frequency of water has several 'resonant' frequencies, or more precisely, frequencies that can cause water to convert light into thermal energy. Microwave ovens are tuned to one of these frequencies. There is no single resonant frequency of water.

Cell phones are not at microwave frequencies, though they operate in the same band. Further, they only put out 300mW, to save on battery life. The real battery sucker these days is the display being on.

If you don't want to mess with cell phone companies and cell phones, fine. But the so-called danger to your brain from cell phones is hogwash.

Weather radar can be dangerous. Fortunately, in most cases, the dishes are pointed skyward. Aircraft are too distant to be bothered by it.

Such radar systems on aircraft, though, can also be dangerous. This antenna is in the nose of the aircraft. The radar operator is supposed to shut off this weather radar while on the ground. Some have interlocks with the squat switches in the landing gear. If there is weight on the landing gear, the system is disabled. It is normal procedure by the operator to shut it off anyway instead of relying on the squat switches.

Microwave dishes can be dangerous, but their beam is quite narrow and any distance from them beyond about 30 feet is fine. There have been cases where a microwave dish technician has cooked a hot dog by holding it up in front of the microwave dish though. Ever wonder why your calls start getting a little poor on the connection at times?

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 19-12-2020 12:05
19-12-2020 12:06
(21597)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote: Microwave ovens are tuned to 2.45 GHz, the resonant frequency of water.

Harvey, I have bad news for you. Microwave ovens are not tuned to the 22.2GHz resonance frequency of water.

Yes, I was disappointed too when I found out.

Water doesn't really have a single resonant frequency. It can be excited by many different frequencies.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 12:13
(21597)
duncan61 wrote:
I did not post CO2 as it is only the carbon atom that is dipole not the 2 oxygen atoms.I had it explained to me well and am not fully with it yet but am finding it fascinating.Remember my main aim is to have answers if I ever meet a warmazombie.I have to have the ability to calmly refute the claims with logic

The shape of the atom doesn't matter. This is a distraction technique by the Church of Global Warming.

It comes down to three simple laws: the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. Occasionally some idiot will also muck up the ideal gas law which only applies to changing pressures of a given volume of air. In the atmosphere, if something is compressing air, somewhere else there is lower pressure. Air moves around, but it is not compressing overall.

Static pressures do not change temperature via the ideal gas law.

That pretty much covers most of the crap they try to bring up. Occasionally, of course, you get some like tmiddles that like to deny chemistry in various ways as well.

For math, the important topics to learn here is probability math and statistical math, particularly statistical math. The Church of Global Warming denies both.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 12:49
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
It comes down to three simple laws: the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

Those are indeed quite simple and intuitive to understand. I just can not understand why even some serious physicists around the world could fall for the greenhouse gas scam. I found a quite funny video of a Physics Nobel Laureate who indeed says that the global warming thing is a pseudoscience but in his presentation he also says some incorrect stuff like that the water is bigger greenhouse gas than CO2 and the earth would be colder without atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGSVsl-ing&ab_channel=1000frollyPhD
Edited on 19-12-2020 12:51
19-12-2020 16:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:

If we could say the solar constant is `1,366 w/m^2 and the amount of solar radiation reaching the troposphere has remained unchanged, then ground level temperature wold have a constant. The Roman and Medieval Warm Periods did happen. The Earth was closer to the Sun then just as with the cooler periods.
With increased CO2 levels and a greater decrease in O2 levels, the atmosphere's density would increase. And water is also a greenhouse gas and is said to be responsible for 60% of warming. https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/climatescience/climatesciencenarratives/its-water-vapor-not-the-co2.html

It could be said that less oxygen in the troposphere and stratosphere is allowing the oceans to be heated just as water molecules are heated in a microwave oven. It's been said that 93% of warming is found in the oceans. And the ozone layer as you know is depleted. In the troposphere, O2 has decreased by 0.06%.
Many industrial applications use O2 as an oxidizer to cause reactions in the manufacturing process. If your boat is made out of fibreglass, that's one example. I don't think anyone would want industry shut down because then we'd be back in the stone ages. At the same time, a healthy ozone layer decreases the amount of incoming solar IR.
19-12-2020 16:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
A discussion in a physics forum which explains how/why microwaves heat water in a microwave oven. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-microwaves-only-heat-up-water.458951/

Just checked. UV radiation can also heat water. It's the 2nd section from the bottom of the page.

UV-B exposure decreases rapidly at increasing depths in the water column. In other words, water and the impurities in it strongly absorb and scatter incoming UV-B radiation.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/UVB/uvb_radiation3.php
19-12-2020 18:03
(14407)
James___ wrote:
A discussion in a physics forum which explains how/why microwaves heat water in a microwave oven. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-microwaves-only-heat-up-water.458951/

Just checked. UV radiation can also heat water. It's the 2nd section from the bottom of the page.

UV-B exposure decreases rapidly at increasing depths in the water column. In other words, water and the impurities in it strongly absorb and scatter incoming UV-B radiation.

Much of the electromagnetic spectrum will increase the temperature of water. The power of the radiation is key. Additional energy is needed to increase temperature.

19-12-2020 19:08
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:

Much of the electromagnetic spectrum will increase the temperature of water. The power of the radiation is key. Additional energy is needed to increase temperature.

A depleted ozone layer will allow more electromagnetic (solar) radiation into the troposphere. It's great at reflecting UV radiation.
19-12-2020 20:40
(21597)
Xadoman wrote:
It comes down to three simple laws: the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

Those are indeed quite simple and intuitive to understand. I just can not understand why even some serious physicists around the world could fall for the greenhouse gas scam. I found a quite funny video of a Physics Nobel Laureate who indeed says that the global warming thing is a pseudoscience but in his presentation he also says some incorrect stuff like that the water is bigger greenhouse gas than CO2 and the earth would be colder without atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGSVsl-ing&ab_channel=1000frollyPhD

Remember that many physicists are paid through government grants. That can't bite the hand that feeds them and have no consequences. Scientists are also people. They have religions just like everyone else.

Science is not a prize. It is not a scientist. It is not people at all. It is just a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 20:50
(21597)
James___ wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

If we could say the solar constant is `1,366 w/m^2 and the amount of solar radiation reaching the troposphere has remained unchanged, then ground level temperature wold have a constant. The Roman and Medieval Warm Periods did happen. The Earth was closer to the Sun then just as with the cooler periods.

Are you actually trying to argue that Earth has shifted it's orbit during the Roman and Medieval warm periods????? What has caused the Earth to shift it's orbit so dramatically?? That requires energy! Earth has no rocket engines. Where is Earth getting this additional energy????
James___ wrote:
With increased CO2 levels and a greater decrease in O2 levels, the atmosphere's density would increase.

No. The atmosphere is not a closed container.
James___ wrote:
And water is also a greenhouse gas and is said to be responsible for 60% of warming.

No gas or vapor can create energy out of nothing or cause entropy to decrease. The temperature of Earth is unknown.
James___ wrote:
It could be said that less oxygen in the troposphere and stratosphere is allowing the oceans to be heated just as water molecules are heated in a microwave oven.

A molecule is not light.
James___ wrote:
It's been said that 93% of warming is found in the oceans.

It is not possible to measure the temperature of Earth or it's oceans.
James___ wrote:
And the ozone layer as you know is depleted. In the troposphere, O2 has decreased by 0.06%.

The ozone layer is not depleted. We couldn't destroy the ozone layer even if we wanted to. See the Chapman cycle.
James___ wrote:
Many industrial applications use O2 as an oxidizer to cause reactions in the manufacturing process. If your boat is made out of fibreglass, that's one example.

Fiberglass resin does not require exposure to oxygen in the air to work.
James___ wrote:
I don't think anyone would want industry shut down because then we'd be back in the stone ages. At the same time, a healthy ozone layer decreases the amount of incoming solar IR.

Ozone does not decrease infrared light.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 20:53
(21597)
James___ wrote:

UV does not convert to thermal energy when absorbed by water or anything else.
James___ wrote:
...deleted Holy Link...

Irrelevant. UV-B is absorbed the oxygen in the atmosphere. Very little reaches the surface. The result of that absorption is the creation of ozone. See the Chapman cycle.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 20:54
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:

A depleted ozone layer will allow more electromagnetic (solar) radiation into the troposphere. It's great at reflecting UV radiation.

The ozone layer does not reflect UV.

The Parrot Killer

19-12-2020 22:38
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Actually, ozone absorbs uv and the energy breaks apart ozone O3 into O2 and O.

It's kind of like GHG's don't create thermal energy, they provide insulation, thereby slowing the flow of outgoing energy. at the same time the incoming energy from the sun continues.
You can easily guess the result regarding temp.
19-12-2020 23:33
(14407)
keepit wrote:Actually, ozone absorbs uv and the energy breaks apart ozone O3 into O2 and O.

Actually, you have that backwards.

UV splits O2 into O and O, each of which binds to another O2 forming O3 (ozone)

At night, the UV is gone, the O loses its binding to the O2, detaches and pairs up with another O that has similarly detached and they reform into O2.

Each pole has a six month nighttime that simply never has any sunlight and doesn't form any ozone. We call this the "ozone hole" and each hemisphere pretends it is a concern every six months and then act relieved when the ozone "makes an amazing recovery" during the six-month daytime while the other hemisphere takes its turn being concerned.

keepit wrote:It's kind of like GHG's don't create thermal energy, they provide insulation, thereby slowing the flow of outgoing energy.

Nope. Physics says otherwise.

20-12-2020 01:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote:Actually, ozone absorbs uv and the energy breaks apart ozone O3 into O2 and O.

At night, the UV is gone, the O loses its binding to the O2, detaches and pairs up with another O that has similarly detached and they reform into O2.

Each pole has a six month nighttime that simply never has any sunlight and doesn't form any ozone. We call this the "ozone hole" and each hemisphere pretends it is a concern every six months and then act relieved when the ozone "makes an amazing recovery" during the six-month daytime while the other hemisphere takes its turn being concerned.

keepit wrote:It's kind of like GHG's don't create thermal energy, they provide insulation, thereby slowing the flow of outgoing energy.

The reason for the lack of ozone at both poles is because of ozone depleting substances (ODSs). Seasonal variation is taken into account. If people took a little time to think rather than just reacting to a post, could go into more detail.
What I'm referring to is the change in CO2 and O2 levels. To some extent that does play a role in the temperature of our atmosphere.
At the same time, temperature is based on the flow of heat in a given volume. And a flow on heat is based on the Ideal Gas law and atmospheric pressure.
I'm just bored right now. When people look at things like this, reading the explanation of the substitutions is mandatory. The same letters will be used differently in different explanations. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Kinetic/idegas.html

And then P (pressure) = 2N/3V (volume) * 1/2mv^2. Capital N is the number of molecules while a lower case n is Avagrado's number.
This explains the difference between R and k in gas theory.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Kinetic/idegas.html#c2

With a mol, we have Avagrado's Number which is 6.02214 * 10^23.
That's particles/electrons in about 22.4 liters of volume. The mixture of molecules will explain how the particles are accounted for.
H2O has 10 while CO2 has 22. This also agrees with the atomic mass, you know, how many protons and neutrons does an atom have?
Like I said, am bored so just having some fun.

p.s., I didn't talk about the roles that O2 and CO2 plays in our atmosphere. That's detail. Everything else is common knowledge.
Edited on 20-12-2020 01:08
20-12-2020 01:20
(21597)
keepit wrote:
Actually, ozone absorbs uv and the energy breaks apart ozone O3 into O2 and O.

Wrong. UV light both creates and destroys ozone. See the Chapman cycle.
keepit wrote:
It's kind of like GHG's don't create thermal energy,

They don't.
keepit wrote:
they provide insulation,

They don't. You can't trap light. You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law, as well as the thermal conductivity of CO2 vs other gases.
keepit wrote:
thereby slowing the flow of outgoing energy.

You can't slow energy. You can't trap heat. You can't trap light.
keepit wrote:
at the same time the incoming energy from the sun continues.
You can easily guess the result regarding temp.

Denial of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You can't decrease entropy. Denial of the Stefan-Boltzmann law. You can't trap light.

The Parrot Killer

20-12-2020 01:24
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The reason for the lack of ozone at both poles is because of ozone depleting substances (ODSs).

Nope. There aren't any. The hole at each pole only occurs during the winter of that pole, when the is no sun to create ozone.
James___ wrote:
Seasonal variation is taken into account. If people took a little time to think rather than just reacting to a post, could go into more detail.

What I'm referring to is the change in CO2 and O2 levels. To some extent that does play a role in the temperature of our atmosphere.[/quote]
None. No gas or vapor can warm the Earth.
James___ wrote:
At the same time, temperature is based on the flow of heat in a given volume.

Wrong. Denial of the 0th law of thermodynamics.
James___ wrote:
And a flow on heat is based on the Ideal Gas law and atmospheric pressure.
...deleted distortion of the ideal gas law and bad mathematics...

Wrong. The ideal gas law does not apply to static pressures.

The Parrot Killer

20-12-2020 01:30
(14407)
James___ wrote: The reason for the lack of ozone at both poles is because of ozone depleting substances (ODSs).

Nope.

There are certainly many OSDs in our atmosphere ... at the bottom of the atmosphere, far from the ozone in the stratosphere.

The OSDs are industrial chemicals that will quickly return stray O3 that drifts down towards the surface to its original O2 form. When that happens we reclaim a little bit of breatheable oxygen from the unbreatheable ozone ... down at the surface where we reside.

So take a deep breath and thank your local OSD.

Join the debate microwave:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Did you know that in 1970/80 microwave ovens cooked food from the inside out?2113-08-2023 01:23
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact