Remember me
▼ Content

Measuring the Earth's Surface Temperature


Measuring the Earth's Surface Temperature01-07-2020 00:49
James___
★★★★★
(3178)
This could be a fun project to do. And with 1 measuring station every 500 miles, 8,000 stations would cover the Earth's surface. By knowing atmospheric air pressure and temperature, it would allow the what's happening between 2 stations to be known.
This would get into Boltzmann's Ideal Gas Law. And with weather systems, they are usually influenced by areas of high and low pressure and that would be known as well.
Then over the years a model based on actual data that has been collected at set points can show if change is happening. What this could do is make know when vents in the seafloor open and close.
And solar radiation could also be monitored. And then all of this could be considered at the same time as the Earth's and Moon's orbit around the Sun goes. That could influence the amount of incoming solar IR as well.
01-07-2020 17:19
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★☆
(1217)
James___ wrote:
This could be a fun project to do.

FUN??!! I LIKE FUN!!!!!

James___ wrote:
And with 1 measuring station every 500 miles, 8,000 stations would cover the Earth's surface.

Unfortunately, your math is in error here.

Earth has approximately 197,000,000 sq miles of surface area. This means that, if measuring stations could be uniformly spaced out, each station would cover an area of 24,625 sq miles, or an area about the size of the State of West Virginia. If you wish to have each station cover an area of 500 sq miles (which would be an area about the size of the city of Los Angeles, CA), then you would need 394,000 stations.

However, whether you have 8,000 stations or 394,000 stations, it simply isn't enough stations to yield any meaningful result since temperatures can vary by as much as 20degF/mile.

James___ wrote:
By knowing atmospheric air pressure and temperature, it would allow the what's happening between 2 stations to be known.

No, we wouldn't "know what's happening" between the two stations. We would only "know what's happening" AT the two stations themselves (as those two locations are being measured). Everywhere else around and between the two stations would be unknown (as those locations are NOT being measured).

James___ wrote:
This would get into Boltzmann's Ideal Gas Law. And with weather systems, they are usually influenced by areas of high and low pressure and that would be known as well.

What is "that"? Pressures?

James___ wrote:
Then over the years a model based on actual data that has been collected at set points can show if change is happening.

Measuring individual locations is not the same as measuring a volume. See above.

James___ wrote:
What this could do is make know when vents in the seafloor open and close.
And solar radiation could also be monitored. And then all of this could be considered at the same time as the Earth's and Moon's orbit around the Sun goes. That could influence the amount of incoming solar IR as well.

?????? Have fun with that... Let me know how it goes for ya...
01-07-2020 18:36
James___
★★★★★
(3178)
gfm7175 wrote:


However, whether you have 8,000 stations or 394,000 stations, it simply isn't enough stations to yield any meaningful result since temperatures can vary by as much as 20degF/mile.

James___ wrote:
By knowing atmospheric air pressure and temperature, it would allow the what's happening between 2 stations to be known.

No, we wouldn't "know what's happening" between the two stations. We would only "know what's happening" AT the two stations themselves (as those two locations are being measured). Everywhere else around and between the two stations would be unknown (as those locations are NOT being measured).




And since you wouldn't be doing it, you'll complain that it's not good enough for you. You can't show where you can do better. You sound like a born again Christian. They require perfection as well.
01-07-2020 20:24
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2420)
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:


However, whether you have 8,000 stations or 394,000 stations, it simply isn't enough stations to yield any meaningful result since temperatures can vary by as much as 20degF/mile.

James___ wrote:
By knowing atmospheric air pressure and temperature, it would allow the what's happening between 2 stations to be known.

No, we wouldn't "know what's happening" between the two stations. We would only "know what's happening" AT the two stations themselves (as those two locations are being measured). Everywhere else around and between the two stations would be unknown (as those locations are NOT being measured).




And since you wouldn't be doing it, you'll complain that it's not good enough for you. You can't show where you can do better. You sound like a born again Christian. They require perfection as well.


Haven't been to church in a while? You can still go out and drink yourself passed out drunk on saturday night. Drag yourself to church later the next day, still wearing the same pike stained shirt from the night before, and be forgiven, long as regret being hung over, sufficiently, which most, at the time. Of course, they expect you to tip the collection plate generously, when passed. Titty bar cash, for free cover charge, doesn't count, or appreciated...
01-07-2020 21:44
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★☆
(1217)
James___ wrote:
And since you wouldn't be doing it, you'll complain that it's not good enough for you. You can't show where you can do better. You sound like a born again Christian. They require perfection as well.

** Doing what, exactly?
** What isn't good enough for me, exactly?
** Do better at what, exactly?
** Yes, I'm a Christian. -- It is actually God that requires perfection.
01-07-2020 21:45
James___
★★★★★
(3178)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:


However, whether you have 8,000 stations or 394,000 stations, it simply isn't enough stations to yield any meaningful result since temperatures can vary by as much as 20degF/mile.

James___ wrote:
By knowing atmospheric air pressure and temperature, it would allow the what's happening between 2 stations to be known.

No, we wouldn't "know what's happening" between the two stations. We would only "know what's happening" AT the two stations themselves (as those two locations are being measured). Everywhere else around and between the two stations would be unknown (as those locations are NOT being measured).




And since you wouldn't be doing it, you'll complain that it's not good enough for you. You can't show where you can do better. You sound like a born again Christian. They require perfection as well.


Haven't been to church in a while? You can still go out and drink yourself passed out drunk on saturday night. Drag yourself to church later the next day, still wearing the same pike stained shirt from the night before, and be forgiven, long as regret being hung over, sufficiently, which most, at the time. Of course, they expect you to tip the collection plate generously, when passed. Titty bar cash, for free cover charge, doesn't count, or appreciated...



Am glad you got my post. I think the church has forgotten that it's meant to be the servant. And by doing so it is the light.
I'm not sure why going to a titty bar is an issue. If no one says you were there then what's the problem? It's all about image.




Join the debate Measuring the Earth's Surface Temperature:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
New High Temperature Records Again Outpace Lows3102-09-2020 23:24
New Temperature High Recorded in Death Valley1919-08-2020 02:27
Another week, more new high temperature records1117-08-2020 01:52
It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth13205-07-2020 00:00
Once Again, High Temperature Records Outpace Low by a Wide Margin429-06-2020 21:40
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact