Remember me
▼ Content

Mastercard Develops Quantum-Safe Payment Cards

Page 1 of 212>
Mastercard Develops Quantum-Safe Payment Cards21-10-2022 14:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
https://www.quantumbusinessnews.com/applications/mastercard-develops-quantum-safe-payment-cards

A new generation of contactless cards from Mastercard has been approved as meeting security specifications designed to protect against attacks from both traditional and quantum computers.
Near-future quantum computers could decrypt even the most secure encryption that currently keeps financial transactions secure from bad actors. To combat this, Mastercard researchers released quantum-resistant enhanced contactless specifications in January 2021.
The company has since worked with EMVCo, the global technical body that ensures secure payment transactions are accepted worldwide and work together, to develop new industry standards. The cards would be the first contactless payment cards to incorporate enhanced quantum-resistant security features that meet EMVCo's EMV contactless kernel specification.
"Technology has the potential to open new opportunities for both consumers and fraudsters," said Mastercard cyber and intelligence division president Ajay Bhalla. "That's why future-proofing security is critical."
"By bringing quantum-era technology to contactless payments, we are taking steps to future-proof security and privacy protection as much as possible. These new cards will deliver that greater peace of mind, while also providing consumers and merchants a seamless transition from today's contactless experience."
The first card issuers to distribute the cards, which are designed to be compatible with existing payment systems, will be Giesecke+Devrient and Thales. Mastercard will continue to partner with card manufacturers and oversee the transition to these new cards in 2023 and beyond.

In July, Mastercard announced a multi-year partnership with quantum computing company D-Wave to investigate quantum-powered applications for the payments industry.

Yawning

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
21-10-2022 16:15
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14411)
Swan wrote:A new generation of contactless cards from Mastercard has been approved as meeting security specifications designed to protect against attacks from both traditional networks, and attacks from quantum computers, purple leprechauns, ninja cheese turtles, la chupa cabra and other things that don't exist.

Wow! They actually made it through the approval process? I never thought they'd get that far.

You must be totally correct. I'm convinced.

Swan wrote:Near-future quantum computers could decrypt even the most secure encryption that currently keeps financial transactions secure from bad actors.

It's good that they are addressing such absolute certainty with such a definite response.

Swan wrote: To combat this, Mastercard researchers released quantum-resistant enhanced contactless specifications in January 2021.

Guess what specifications have never been released. Why do you think that is the case?

Swan wrote:In July, Mastercard announced a multi-year partnership with quantum computing company D-Wave to investigate quantum-powered applications for the payments industry.

How do the previous "accomplishments" mentioned above jive with the future tense of D-Wave looking "to investigate" them?

Did someone jump the gun on claiming accomplishments/achievements?
21-10-2022 18:14
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
More marketing hype, since quantum computers are still a lab toy, at best. Why would MasterCard need to secure against Quantum attacks this early, when there is only lab prototypes, at best, with limited use. The only bad actors would be university employees, maybe the government. If quantum computers are such a threat, no way they are going to be widely available. What government will allow anybody with the cash, to own a tool capable of hacking into any computer on the planet? With permits, licences and such, we can own and use most anything. But, there are still quite a few things that will never happen. How many privately own nuclear bombs are out there? Can anybody own a Cruise missile? There are weaponized drones, but I don't think you can buy them, and likely to have some legal trouble if caught with one.

But, as with any security, humans are always going to be the weak link. If the card can be read at the point-of-sale, it can be read by anyone. This is before any badass, super-secure server gets involved. Compatibly with existing means it's still compatible with existing hacking... Humans are lazy and imperfect. Regardless of the rules, policies, guidelines, regulations, people are going to find and easy, more convenient way, that takes the least effort. It's in our DNA, and why we make and use tools. Building tools, that make our lives more difficult goes against our nature.

I'm still highly skeptical that quantum computing exist, as defined by the theory of how it could work. I tend to believe the existing hardware only simulates how it's suppose to work, using existing/traditional technology. We never really fully exploited the existing technology, and still plenty of room to play. A tradition computer operates on binary numbers, 1s and 0s. In the chips though, these are actually voltage levels. A 1, doesn't have to be precisely +5 volts, and a 0 isn't exactly 0 volts. Lot of room to play, if we want to add complexity. A third state could be added with the use of negative voltage. We have the precision to set many states, by assigning states to various voltage levels. We use low voltages, to reduce heat generated. We could use higher voltages, to expand how many states a bit could have, but we would need to remove heat quickly, to keep it stable. There could be a new hardware coming out, but doubt it's the theoretical 'quantum' kind. They are likely just using existing technology in a different approach.
21-10-2022 19:55
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
HarveyH55 wrote:
More marketing hype, since quantum computers are still a lab toy, at best. Why would MasterCard need to secure against Quantum attacks this early, when there is only lab prototypes, at best, with limited use. The only bad actors would be university employees, maybe the government. If quantum computers are such a threat, no way they are going to be widely available. What government will allow anybody with the cash, to own a tool capable of hacking into any computer on the planet? With permits, licences and such, we can own and use most anything. But, there are still quite a few things that will never happen. How many privately own nuclear bombs are out there? Can anybody own a Cruise missile? There are weaponized drones, but I don't think you can buy them, and likely to have some legal trouble if caught with one.

But, as with any security, humans are always going to be the weak link. If the card can be read at the point-of-sale, it can be read by anyone. This is before any badass, super-secure server gets involved. Compatibly with existing means it's still compatible with existing hacking... Humans are lazy and imperfect. Regardless of the rules, policies, guidelines, regulations, people are going to find and easy, more convenient way, that takes the least effort. It's in our DNA, and why we make and use tools. Building tools, that make our lives more difficult goes against our nature.

I'm still highly skeptical that quantum computing exist, as defined by the theory of how it could work. I tend to believe the existing hardware only simulates how it's suppose to work, using existing/traditional technology. We never really fully exploited the existing technology, and still plenty of room to play. A tradition computer operates on binary numbers, 1s and 0s. In the chips though, these are actually voltage levels. A 1, doesn't have to be precisely +5 volts, and a 0 isn't exactly 0 volts. Lot of room to play, if we want to add complexity. A third state could be added with the use of negative voltage. We have the precision to set many states, by assigning states to various voltage levels. We use low voltages, to reduce heat generated. We could use higher voltages, to expand how many states a bit could have, but we would need to remove heat quickly, to keep it stable. There could be a new hardware coming out, but doubt it's the theoretical 'quantum' kind. They are likely just using existing technology in a different approach.

Could a lab toy in chinka empty your bank account?

Yes, which is why you want quantum code protecting your accounts.

Yawning

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

21-10-2022 19:57
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:A new generation of contactless cards from Mastercard has been approved as meeting security specifications designed to protect against attacks from both traditional networks, and attacks from quantum computers, purple leprechauns, ninja cheese turtles, la chupa cabra and other things that don't exist.

Wow! They actually made it through the approval process? I never thought they'd get that far.

Swan wrote:Near-future quantum computers could decrypt even the most secure encryption that currently keeps financial transactions secure from bad actors.

It's good that they are addressing such absolute certainty with such a definite response.

Swan wrote: To combat this, Mastercard researchers released quantum-resistant enhanced contactless specifications in January 2021.

Guess what specifications have never been released. Why do you think that is the case?

Swan wrote:In July, Mastercard announced a multi-year partnership with quantum computing company D-Wave to investigate quantum-powered applications for the payments industry.

How do the previous "accomplishments" mentioned above jive with the future tense of D-Wave looking "to investigate" them?

Actually your claim is that none of this is happening. Well it seems that the World is leaving you behind once again.

PS. Mastercard actually sets their own specs, nimrod

ULTRA MAGA

21-10-2022 19:59
(14411)
Swan wrote:Yes, which is why you want quantum code protecting your accounts.

How would quantum code protect any accounts?

Oh, that's right, you can just show the architectures. Well played!

Post those architectures. Throw them in his face.
21-10-2022 21:46
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:

Wow that is an easy one as a quantum encrypted code could be a hundred million times more complex than analogue and still open in less time than analogue would open. Furthermore, all that Mastercard is actually doing is strengthening their codes to reflect the new threats that idiots like you claim are not happening. On the other hand no one will be hacking your billy carter beer can collection

Silly girl

ULTRA MAGA

21-10-2022 23:45
(5197)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wow that is an easy one as a quantum encrypted code could be a hundred million times more complex than analogue and still open in less time than analogue would open. Furthermore, all that Mastercard is actually doing is strengthening their codes to reflect the new threats that idiots like you claim are not happening. On the other hand no one will be hacking your billy carter beer can collection

Silly girl

How would MasterCard know what needs protecting, since there is no Quantum computer outside the lab? Basically, the can market anything, but doesn't mean they are actually addressing anything. There cover all but $50 of fraudulent charges policy, is probably the only protection they can actually offer. They won't actually have a quantum computer to implement any changes for a while... What they play with in a lab, is seldom the same as what goes into production. A whole lot of refinement goes into most any commercial product. It needs to be reliable, repeatable, and useful to people without a specific Phd. Price tag also figures into it quite a bit. How many units can you sell, at $100 million+, each? Right now, only a vision is being sold. Maybe the lab guys are making huge strides in a certain direction, but there is no reason others can't jump in, take a slightly different path, with similar results, but a better product to take to market. We saw this with early desktop computers, with few standards. Expansion cards from one company, weren't compatible with others. Apple was on of the worst, since they didn't want anyone messing with what they sold. You had to buy genuine Apple parts, at a premium price. Some even need an authorized technician to install, or you had a paperweight. Always almost cheaper, just to buy the new, upgraded model. I prefer to repair and modify what I own, rather than let a company dictate what I can and can't do.

You can buy padlocks, supposedly pick-proof... But, a theft can still just cut the shackle...
22-10-2022 00:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

How would MasterCard know what needs protecting, since there is no Quantum computer outside the lab? Basically, the can market anything, but doesn't mean they are actually addressing anything. There cover all but $50 of fraudulent charges policy, is probably the only protection they can actually offer. They won't actually have a quantum computer to implement any changes for a while... What they play with in a lab, is seldom the same as what goes into production. A whole lot of refinement goes into most any commercial product. It needs to be reliable, repeatable, and useful to people without a specific Phd. Price tag also figures into it quite a bit. How many units can you sell, at $100 million+, each? Right now, only a vision is being sold. Maybe the lab guys are making huge strides in a certain direction, but there is no reason others can't jump in, take a slightly different path, with similar results, but a better product to take to market. We saw this with early desktop computers, with few standards. Expansion cards from one company, weren't compatible with others. Apple was on of the worst, since they didn't want anyone messing with what they sold. You had to buy genuine Apple parts, at a premium price. Some even need an authorized technician to install, or you had a paperweight. Always almost cheaper, just to buy the new, upgraded model. I prefer to repair and modify what I own, rather than let a company dictate what I can and can't do.

You can buy padlocks, supposedly pick-proof... But, a theft can still just cut the shackle...

LOL the fastest qubits are currently in chinka, and as we know chinka labs are all communist government owned and used for terrorism. Man u is stoopud

ULTRA MAGA

22-10-2022 01:21
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21599)
Swan wrote:
https://www.quantumbusinessnews.com/applications/mastercard-develops-quantum-safe-payment-cards

A new generation of contactless cards from Mastercard has been approved as meeting security specifications designed to protect against attacks from both traditional and quantum computers. ...deleted rest of marketing hype...

Pretty easy, since there is no such thing as a quantum computer.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-10-2022 01:22
(21599)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Could a lab toy in chinka empty your bank account?

Yes, which is why you want quantum code protecting your accounts.

Yawning

There is no such thing as 'quantum code'.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-10-2022 01:24
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Actually your claim is that none of this is happening. Well it seems that the World is leaving you behind once again.

PS. Mastercard actually sets their own specs, nimrod

So they set their own spec. So what?
So do banks. So do most any company. So do I.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 01:25
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Void argument fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 01:27
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Padlocks are incredibly easy to pick or bypass in most cases.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 01:28
(21599)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

LOL the fastest qubits are currently in chinka, and as we know chinka labs are all communist government owned and used for terrorism. Man u is stoopud

Where is chinka? There is no such thing as a 'qubit'. How is guessing a password 'terrorism'??

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 22-10-2022 01:29
22-10-2022 01:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

A new generation of contactless cards from Mastercard has been approved as meeting security specifications designed to protect against attacks from both traditional and quantum computers. ...deleted rest of marketing hype...

Pretty easy, since there is no such thing as a quantum computer.

Ok if you say so it must absolutely be true, at least in your daycare.

ULTRA MAGA

22-10-2022 01:42
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Where is chinka? There is no such thing as a 'qubit'. How is guessing a password 'terrorism'??

The chinkas or ruskies hack the password then ransom the info back to the owner. It's called terrorism on Earth, not sure what it is called on your planet. LOL I guess you have no dog eaters in the NSA building. All those years in law school led you to here where you will achieve nothing just like the last platoon of asses..............

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 22-10-2022 01:44
22-10-2022 02:37
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

The chinkas or ruskies hack the password then ransom the info back to the owner. It's called terrorism on Earth, not sure what it is called on your planet. LOL I guess you have no dog eaters in the NSA building. All those years in law school led you to here where you will achieve nothing just like the last platoon of asses..............

Ah. So you don't know what 'terrorism' means either.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 02:47
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Actually I know exactly what terrorism is, you on the other hand clearly do not

The Department of Justice has declared that ransomware will now be treated with the same level of vigilance as terrorism. FBI Director Christopher Wray recently compared the current cyber-threat landscape to the challenge posed by the 9/11 aftermath, and several officials have followed suit in their declarations.

During his confirmation hearing for the new position of National Cyber Director, Chris Inglis – arguably the most senior individual for combatting state and non-state cyber actors – said the US government must "seize back the initiative that has too long been ceded to criminals and rogue nations... and bring to bear consequences on those who hold us at risk."

https://darktrace.com/blog/the-elevation-of-cyber-crime-to-terrorism-threat-status#:~:text=The%20Department%20of%20Justice%20has,followed%20suit%20in%20their%20declarations.

ULTRA MAGA

22-10-2022 16:54
(14411)
Swan wrote:Wow that is an easy one

... except that you are about to show otherwise by not being able to provide the architectures you gullibly believe "have been released."

After all, you have never seen these architectures because the people who do your thinking for you will not allow you to request them, or even ask for proof of their existence. You have been told what to regurgitate and you have every intention of OBEYING.

MORAL:. There are no architectures of the non-existent.

Swan wrote: ... as a quantum encrypted code could be a hundred million times more complex than analogue

You are not a programmer. Ask me how I know.

MORAL: Non-existent code is the simplest.

Swan wrote: Furthermore, all that Mastercard is actually doing is strengthening their codes

It's not "strengthening" if they are only adding protections against non-existent threats, e.g. purple leprechauns, chupacabra, quantum computing, ninja cheese turtles, etc...

I realize that you are embarrassed every time you gullibly believe what you are told to believe. This is why the best policy is to not have anyone do your thinking for you.

22-10-2022 18:22
(5197)
https://www.popsci.com/technology/fujitsu-riken-quantum-computer/

The idea of a quantum computer was first proposed in the 1980s: A miracle machine that could outperform classical computers on special tasks. Since then, many groups have invested in research that could make this dream real. Now, the devices are inching ever closer to existing in the real-world as Fujitsu and the Riken research institute plan to jointly develop and sell quantum computers to corporations starting April 2023, becoming the first to do so in Japan, Nikkei Asia reported earlier this week.

These quantum computers will likely be used in applications such as financial forecasting, and the development of new materials and medicines.

If the timeline sticks, Fujitsu and Riken's machines will beat out Google's commercial quantum computers, which the company has previously said would be ready by 2029. Since 2019, IBM has been offering a commercial quantum-classical hybrid service for companies to test. However, IBM says that it can have a machine capable of quantum advantage (in which it can reliably and accurately solve a problem better than a classical computer) ready by 2025.

The hype behind quantum computers stems from the belief that the machines will be better than the best supercomputers of today at solving certain calculations, like natural science simulations and optimization tasks (i.e. finding the shortest route from point A to point B—also known as the traveling salesman problem).

This stems from a quirk these computers have: They don't represent information in binary 0-or-1 bits, but rather as qubits, which can have a value of 0, 1, or both at the same time due to the quantum property of superposition. But to exhibit quantum properties, objects must either be very small or very cold. That means qubits can either be built from a tiny particle like an atom, or from something like a superconducting material kept cold in a cryogenic container.

Fujitsu's computer will reportedly have 64 qubits, although the company wants to produce a 1,000-qubit machine by April 2026. This would sit between Google's latest record, 54 qubits, and IBM's, which was 127 qubits.

[Related: Chicago now has a 124-mile quantum network. This is what it's for.]

"Like Google and IBM, Fujitsu will adopt a method of computing with a 'superconductive' circuit that is cooled to extremely low temperatures to eliminate electrical resistance," according to Nikkei. Superconducting qubits tend to be the most popular materials used in quantum computers because they can be manufactured in a way similar to silicon chips. However, other experimental designs, like trapped-ion quantum computers, exist as well.

For the past decade, several companies have been racing to build the first commercial quantum computer, and not everyone is doing it the same way. While there's been a lot of momentum and groundbreaking research, these machines are undeniably difficult to control (as of present, they're still finicky, error-prone, and qubits can only ephemerally hold onto their quantum states). It's yet to be seen which group pulls ahead in practical tests in the real world—when a quantum computer can solve a modern problem better than a classical computer.

Seems that quantum computers have a limited range for application. Interestingly, they seem ideal for climate models... Or anything predictive, where there is no way to tell if it's results are accurate. Faith-base computing... China has a desktop model selling now for $50k... Which was the closest I could find to actual hardware for sale. No actual product details for most. Was really hard to tell if some companies actually sold the hardware, or just a cloud-based service. Still seems kind of sketchy, and over-hyped.
22-10-2022 22:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:

... except that you are about to show otherwise by not being able to provide the architectures you gullibly believe "have been released."

After all, you have never seen these architectures because the people who do your thinking for you will not allow you to request them, or even ask for proof of their existence. You have been told what to regurgitate and you have every intention of OBEYING.

Swan wrote: ... as a quantum encrypted code could be a hundred million times more complex than analogue

Swan wrote: Furthermore, all that Mastercard is actually doing is strengthening their codes

It's not "strengthening" if they are only adding protections against non-existent threats, e.g. purple leprechauns, chupacabra, quantum computing, ninja cheese turtles, etc...

I realize that you are embarrassed every time you gullibly believe what you are told to believe. This is why the best policy is to not have anyone do your thinking for you.

Actually, if Mastercard gave away their security architecture it would instantaneously be worthless, as anyone who is not a schizoid government worker like you would understand.

Now seriously kid, fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, as Dean Wormer would say anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgVFPO_OJc

ULTRA MAGA

22-10-2022 23:52
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Nah. Ransomware is not terrorism.
Swan wrote:
The Department of Justice has declared that ransomware will now be treated with the same level of vigilance as terrorism.

Meh. The government cannot redefine 'terrorism' either. Maybe they should stop using such insecure operating systems.
Swan wrote:
FBI Director Christopher Wray recently compared the current cyber-threat landscape to the challenge posed by the 9/11 aftermath, and several officials have followed suit in their declarations.

Obviously a Windows user. What a moron.
Swan wrote:
During his confirmation hearing for the new position of National Cyber Director, Chris Inglis – arguably the most senior individual for combatting state and non-state cyber actors – said the US government must "seize back the initiative that has too long been ceded to criminals and rogue nations... and bring to bear consequences on those who hold us at risk."

https://darktrace.com/blog/the-elevation-of-cyber-crime-to-terrorism-threat-status#:~:text=The%20Department%20of%20Justice%20has,followed%20suit%20in%20their%20declarations.

Nope. There really isn't a risk. This is just a government agency fear mongering to justify it's own existence again.

Don't run Windows. That operating system effectively has a giant 'Kick Me' sign on it's back, and people...well...kick it.

Most government agencies have notoriously easy to hack systems. They still haven't figured out even the most basic security techniques, despite the NSA.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 23:55
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.popsci.com/technology/fujitsu-riken-quantum-computer/

The idea of a quantum computer was first proposed in the 1980s: A miracle machine that could outperform classical computers on special tasks. Since then, many groups have invested in research that could make this dream real. Now, the devices are inching ever closer to existing in the real-world as Fujitsu and the Riken research institute plan to jointly develop and sell quantum computers to corporations starting April 2023, becoming the first to do so in Japan, Nikkei Asia reported earlier this week.

These quantum computers will likely be used in applications such as financial forecasting, and the development of new materials and medicines.

If the timeline sticks, Fujitsu and Riken's machines will beat out Google's commercial quantum computers, which the company has previously said would be ready by 2029. Since 2019, IBM has been offering a commercial quantum-classical hybrid service for companies to test. However, IBM says that it can have a machine capable of quantum advantage (in which it can reliably and accurately solve a problem better than a classical computer) ready by 2025.

The hype behind quantum computers stems from the belief that the machines will be better than the best supercomputers of today at solving certain calculations, like natural science simulations and optimization tasks (i.e. finding the shortest route from point A to point B—also known as the traveling salesman problem).

This stems from a quirk these computers have: They don't represent information in binary 0-or-1 bits, but rather as qubits, which can have a value of 0, 1, or both at the same time due to the quantum property of superposition. But to exhibit quantum properties, objects must either be very small or very cold. That means qubits can either be built from a tiny particle like an atom, or from something like a superconducting material kept cold in a cryogenic container.

Fujitsu's computer will reportedly have 64 qubits, although the company wants to produce a 1,000-qubit machine by April 2026. This would sit between Google's latest record, 54 qubits, and IBM's, which was 127 qubits.

[Related: Chicago now has a 124-mile quantum network. This is what it's for.]

"Like Google and IBM, Fujitsu will adopt a method of computing with a 'superconductive' circuit that is cooled to extremely low temperatures to eliminate electrical resistance," according to Nikkei. Superconducting qubits tend to be the most popular materials used in quantum computers because they can be manufactured in a way similar to silicon chips. However, other experimental designs, like trapped-ion quantum computers, exist as well.

For the past decade, several companies have been racing to build the first commercial quantum computer, and not everyone is doing it the same way. While there's been a lot of momentum and groundbreaking research, these machines are undeniably difficult to control (as of present, they're still finicky, error-prone, and qubits can only ephemerally hold onto their quantum states). It's yet to be seen which group pulls ahead in practical tests in the real world—when a quantum computer can solve a modern problem better than a classical computer.

Seems that quantum computers have a limited range for application.

None, since there is no such thing as a 'quantum computer'.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Interestingly, they seem ideal for climate models... Or anything predictive, where there is no way to tell if it's results are accurate. Faith-base computing... China has a desktop model selling now for $50k... Which was the closest I could find to actual hardware for sale. No actual product details for most. Was really hard to tell if some companies actually sold the hardware, or just a cloud-based service. Still seems kind of sketchy, and over-hyped.

Yup. Both.

The Parrot Killer

22-10-2022 23:58
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Actually, if Mastercard gave away their security architecture it would instantaneously be worthless,
...removed Mantra 1a...

Not at all. The security architecture is actually quite public. The same is true for openssl, a commonly used encryption system. Yet the encryption works for the purposes it was designed for.

The Parrot Killer

23-10-2022 00:19
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Swan wrote:
The Department of Justice has declared that ransomware will now be treated with the same level of vigilance as terrorism.

Meh. The government cannot redefine 'terrorism' either. Maybe they should stop using such insecure operating systems.
Swan wrote:
FBI Director Christopher Wray recently compared the current cyber-threat landscape to the challenge posed by the 9/11 aftermath, and several officials have followed suit in their declarations.

Swan wrote:

Nope. There really isn't a risk. This is just a government agency fear mongering to justify it's own existence again.

Don't run Windows. That operating system effectively has a giant 'Kick Me' sign on it's back, and people...well...kick it.

Most government agencies have notoriously easy to hack systems. They still haven't figured out even the most basic security techniques, despite the NSA.

So the government cannot define terrorism, but you can. Very interesting, please feel free laying back on the couch and telling us why your mother did that to you.

ULTRA MAGA

23-10-2022 06:39
(14411)
Swan wrote:So the government cannot define terrorism, but you can. Very interesting, please feel free laying back on the couch and telling us why your mother did that to you.

I can define terrorism, thank you for asking.

IBDaTerrorismDefinition: The generation of fear/panic/dread through violence for the purpose of advancing a political agenda.

A bomb/explosion does not, by itself, qualify as terrorism. Violence involving bombs/explosives is not necessarily terrorism, but can certainly be one of many other crimes. When a bank robber uses explosives to blast open a vault, that is not terrorism; it is theft. When Timothy McVeigh killed people with a truck bomb, it was not terrorism; it was simply murder.

Stealing money and other financial and/or cyber crimes do not qualify as terrorism. The government has demonstrated that it cannot effectively define terrorism.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.
23-10-2022 08:48
(21599)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Silly girl

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

Swan wrote:

So the government cannot define terrorism, but you can. Very interesting, please feel free laying back on the couch and telling us why your mother did that to you.

Redefine terrorism. No, the government cannot redefine terrorism. Neither can you. Neither can I.

The Parrot Killer

23-10-2022 09:10
(21599)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:So the government cannot define terrorism, but you can. Very interesting, please feel free laying back on the couch and telling us why your mother did that to you.

IBDaTerrorismDefinition: The generation of fear/panic/dread through violence for the purpose of advancing a political agenda.

A bomb/explosion does not, by itself, qualify as terrorism. Violence involving bombs/explosives is not necessarily terrorism, but can certainly be one of many other crimes. When a bank robber uses explosives to blast open a vault, that is not terrorism; it is theft. When Timothy McVeigh killed people with a truck bomb, it was not terrorism; it was simply murder.

Stealing money and other financial and/or cyber crimes do not qualify as terrorism. The government has demonstrated that it cannot effectively define terrorism.

This definition of terrorism is accurate.

The term comes from Latin and French. It was first applied to the Revolutionaries in France in 1795. It refers to using acts of terror (such as violent acts instilling fear, awe, panic, or dread among non-combatants). It was again used in 1798 to describe the Irish rebellions. It's purpose is to further a political agenda.

Ransomware is nothing more than a scam to get money from someone. It is not a violent act. It does not involve anything more than a criminal act. In Washington State, this crime is punishable as a class B felony.

Ransomware only works with weak systems such as Windows, that are operated by people that are too clueless to make backups of their data. It is easily dealt with simply by using a more secure system and by making regular backups of your data. There is never any need to pay anyone to 'unlock your computer'.

Ransomware is not terrorism.

The Parrot Killer

23-10-2022 13:32
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:

The FBI says that you are wrong and that ransomware is a form of terrorism. No one cares about your own definitions that you use to justify the meaningless internet babbles that give purpose to your otherwise empty, lonely life

ULTRA MAGA

24-10-2022 00:00
(14411)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:I can define terrorism, thank you for asking.

The FBI says that you are wrong

Swan, you screwed the pooch on this one. The FBI says that you are wrong, both in pretending to speak for the FBI and in your hilarious attempt to lump financial and cyber crimes in with terrorism.

From FBI.gov

Terrorism Definitions

International terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups who are inspired by, or associated with, designated foreign terrorist organizations or nations (state-sponsored).

Domestic terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.

The FBI precludes financial and cyber crimes in their definitions.

As a consolation prize, the pooch will be humping your leg a bit more frequently in the future.
24-10-2022 09:25
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The FBI says that you are wrong and that ransomware is a form of terrorism. No one cares about your own definitions that you use to justify the meaningless internet babbles that give purpose to your otherwise empty, lonely life

Redefinition fallacy (scam<->terrorism). I didn't define either word, dumbass. No, you don't get to redefine them. Neither does the government.

The Parrot Killer

24-10-2022 15:07
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:

I never mentioned architectures kid, the first mention of that was yours in the above post

LOL so again what law school did you drop out of?

ULTRA MAGA

24-10-2022 15:52
(14411)
Swan wrote:I never mentioned architectures kid, the first mention of that was yours in the above post

Nope. You explained how the current qubit architectures get down in the weeds and specify required operating temperatures. Wow! You did so on 20 October at 20:35

Depending on the architecture and qubit systems, some implementations need their qubits to be kept at temperatures close to absolute zero.

Just post those architecures that you have that specify all this. It's not like you gullibly reposted a pure fabrication, is it?
24-10-2022 18:01
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:I never mentioned architectures kid, the first mention of that was yours in the above post

Nope. You explained how the current qubit architectures get down in the weeds and specify required operating temperatures. Wow! You did so on 20 October at 20:35

Depending on the architecture and qubit systems, some implementations need their qubits to be kept at temperatures close to absolute zero.

Just post those architecures that you have that specify all this. It's not like you gullibly reposted a pure fabrication, is it?

This is truly becoming some amusing crap to read through... A lot of techno-babble ab out yo qubits, and what could be done with them, how they are controlled and manipulated. But not a lot on how computations are actually performed. You need a traditional computer handling most everything. Seems to take at least 2 qubits, just to form a single logic gate. At best, quantum computers are a hybrid. Most everything is done with traditional hardware. Multiple-state bits might have some interesting possibilities, but do see the computational boost, if traditional computers are handling the bulk of the work. Those who wish to play, can only submit their program, and wait in line for the job to be submitted, results posted, or e-mail. Not sure about how long people wait. Don't think quantum computing is an advantage for most computer needs. Really don't see quantum video games anytime soon...
24-10-2022 18:43
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL I did not say that, I reposted what another person said. Really you seem to not understand that you are attributing everything that I post as mine when in reality you are denying reality as explained by multiple persons and groups. Not that you can ever really know.

But it is nice owning a government clown's little IQ brain.

You may now continue babbling

Shit if I said "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." You would babble that this is not true.

Again nothing in front of you is yours, because you are nothing and no one.

ULTRA MAGA

24-10-2022 19:40
(14411)
Swan wrote:LOL I did not say that, I reposted what another person said.

... and in so doing, you made it your own.

So are you now admitting that you really have been mindlessly regurgitating what you have been told to believe? Are you now admitting that you have no rational basis for believing any of the absurd things you have been spouting about "entanglement" and "quantum computing"?

Why did you allow yourself to be so gullible when all you had to do was demand the architectures and immediately realize you were being taken for a ride?
24-10-2022 20:19
(21599)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

This is truly becoming some amusing crap to read through... A lot of techno-babble ab out yo qubits, and what could be done with them, how they are controlled and manipulated. But not a lot on how computations are actually performed. You need a traditional computer handling most everything. Seems to take at least 2 qubits, just to form a single logic gate. At best, quantum computers are a hybrid. Most everything is done with traditional hardware. Multiple-state bits might have some interesting possibilities, but do see the computational boost, if traditional computers are handling the bulk of the work. Those who wish to play, can only submit their program, and wait in line for the job to be submitted, results posted, or e-mail. Not sure about how long people wait. Don't think quantum computing is an advantage for most computer needs. Really don't see quantum video games anytime soon...

There is no such thing as a 'qubit' or 'quantum computing'.

There are three types of logic gates: AND, XOR and negation. All other gates are built of these two simple gates.
(IOR is an inverted input AND gate)
By combining two NAND gates, you can build a simple SR latch, the simplest of latches. All latches are modifications to this basic latch.

Dynamic memory is even simpler. Each cell is just a capacitor. The rest of the chip is simple address decoding logic to select which capacitor is being read or written.

Dynamic RAM must be refreshed occasionally. The capacitors will only hold a charge for 2ms. This circuitry is built into a typical microprocessor chip and runs independent of microprocessor activity, other than coordinating timing for a memory read. This interface is called the 'north bridge', and is now built into the processor itself.

Microprocessors themselves store bits in various types of latches, most commonly a D or an SR latch. This type of memory is very fast, but more bulky and expensive. These form the L1 and L2 caches, as well as the ALU and sequencing capability of the processor.

Processors also contain read-only memory, or ROM, which contains the microcode and instruction set for a microcoded processor such as the Intel or AMD chips, and the instruction set for a basecoded processor such as an ARM chip commonly used in embedded designs such as thermostats, cars, so-called 'smart' appliances, video game consoles (such as Nintendo's Switch, or DS series consoles including the 3DS).

ROM doesn't forget like dynamic and static RAM does when you turn off the power. It's made up of a type of replaceable 'fuse' that is 'blown' when the microcode or instruction set is coded into the chip. Some designs allow this 'fuse' to be restored and the processor given a new microcode or instruction set.

Microcode is a 'sort of' instruction set. The instructions set you see on an Intel chip, for example, is NOT the instruction set of the chip. It is a set of routines interpreted by the actual instruction set of the chip (Intel is currently using an instruction set that is 204 bits wide). This allows a 'smarter' chip, but the instructions you see have nothing to do with actual hardware sequencing on the chip itself. Assembly language on these chips compile down to a set of microcode subroutines instead.

This interpretation is slower, but it provides for a 'smarter' machine code that requires less memory than the actual sequencer running the 204 bit wide actual instructions. The cost is that you have to clock the processor very fast to get any kind of usable speed in the combined device. This speed is power hungry. The processor runs very hot, requiring large heat sinks (some are now using liquid cooling, such as in my own machine).

ARM chips are basecoded. There is no microcode. The machine instructions are the actual machine instructions. The advantage is that you can do a lot with a much slower clock speed, but the instructions are 'dumber'. That means they have to be more elegantly designed to be efficient. This is the 'reduced instruction set' school of design. It makes the ARM chip perfect for embedded applications due to low power requirements. Cooling requirements are minimal. Often no heat sink at all is required, or at most a minimal passive one.

Nintendo's Switch, for example, uses passive heat sinks on the processor, and has a small and very quiet fan to get air through the console (mostly to cool the GPU, not the processor).

A GPU is actually a processor as well, and microcoded (requiring higher cooling requirements). The resulting instruction set is, however, minimal. The GPU, however, is many processors in parallel, making it idea for the matrix math used in rendering graphics.

The Parrot Killer

24-10-2022 20:21
(21599)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

LOL I did not say that, I reposted what another person said. Really you seem to not understand that you are attributing everything that I post as mine when in reality you are denying reality as explained by multiple persons and groups. Not that you can ever really know.

But it is nice owning a government clown's little IQ brain.

You may now continue babbling

Shit if I said "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, upon this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal." You would babble that this is not true.

Again nothing in front of you is yours, because you are nothing and no one.

Denial of self argument (paradox). Insult fallacies. Extreme argument fallacy. No argument presented. Trolling.

The Parrot Killer

24-10-2022 22:21
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5722)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:LOL I did not say that, I reposted what another person said.

... and in so doing, you made it your own.

So are you now admitting that you really have been mindlessly regurgitating what you have been told to believe? Are you now admitting that you have no rational basis for believing any of the absurd things you have been spouting about "entanglement" and "quantum computing"?

Why did you allow yourself to be so gullible when all you had to do was demand the architectures and immediately realize you were being taken for a ride?

So whatever I post becomes my own, ok now I understand.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. "Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. "But in a larger sense we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us,that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion, that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

And if I post Genesis, does that make me God

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

But I don't want to be God, so I think I will post the music to the Hungarian dance #5 and be Brahm's

But what if I want to be Einstein? Well then I just need to stop combing my hair and claim that the universe is not expanding.

Who knew that I became whatever I say?

Well obviously the local schizoid knows

ULTRA MAGA

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Mastercard Develops Quantum-Safe Payment Cards:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
86 year old Jane Fonda will only date men in their 20's. Whew I'm safe204-12-2023 03:58
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
IBM quantum experience7213-09-2023 19:48
Better than Quantum Computing525-07-2023 00:11
QUANTUM COMPUTING ON A COMMODORE 64 IN 200 LINES OF BASIC305-07-2023 18:48
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact