Remember me
▼ Content

Local Impact of Climate Change

Local Impact of Climate Change01-06-2019 22:00
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
https://www.wftv.com/news/florida/scientists-race-to-save-florida-reef-from-killer-disease/954315609

Just saw this story in the local news, and it does a pretty good job of illustrating how Climate Change actually works, although I don't think that was their intent. They focused on saving our precious coral reefs, a big tourist attraction. Seems like they could save a whole lot of time and money, if they sold samples commercially, as there are many, very impressive saltwater tanks around the world. Plastic coral in some, just doesn't seem to fit well. People that spend that much time and money on a nice tank, will naturally take good care of live coral, takes along time growing, can't just scrape it out, and flush it. Go buy a fresh batch to replace it, having it all look nice.

But the main points in the long article, was that this coral 'disease' has been around for a long time, though they have yet to identify what it actually is. They quote Climate Change, as being a factor for weakening coral, making it more susceptible to the 'disease'. The usually reasons, rising sea temperature/levels, acidification, bleaching. But, they also note that other human activities, like boats. They didn't touch on illegal harvesting, which has always been a problem, guess their harvesting was totally different, and okay. Many thousands of people visit those reefs every year, and quite a few chip off a few pieces to take home. Some take more than a few small pieces, which you can buy on Ebay, or as jewelry at flea markets. Always been a market, probably won't change. The disease, is probably over harvesting, or sloppy work (just fill the sack quickly, and leave fast). Mostly, I think the disease, is man meddling in the ecosystem down there. As mentioned, coral is home to a lot of other species, many of which feed on coral, the eggs, and the freshly hatched.

Basically, they spotted something, that might be an issue, might be completely natural, just don't know for sure. But felt a need to act quickly, for some reason. And, of course mention Climate Change, to insure some grant money, for years and years, coral is slow growing. Most likely, it's cruise ships and large boats, routinely purging their sewage tanks, before docking, to save a few thousand on waste disposal fees.
Join the debate Local Impact of Climate Change:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Climate change - effects, impact and solutions3417-08-2023 08:19
New International Asset Currency vs Domestic Local Currency Will End Global Conflict030-07-2022 05:53
Big Nations Must Allow Local States Big Cities To Issue It Own New Local Currency Money118-03-2021 19:44
Mobile carbonalyser: an app to estimate your mobile environmental impact1109-01-2020 02:25
Relatable Warming Impact Articles & Studies2022-11-2019 16:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact