Remember me
▼ Content

"Likely Feasible Solution to World Energy & Carbon Crises" by Warren D Smith

Page 3 of 3<123
15-10-2021 19:38
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
The point is that the whole concept is full of heavy losses. Windmills aren't cheap. You waste a lot of the electricity generated, by splitting seawater into H2. Miles of pipe and cables aren't 'free', even if the US government is 'paying' the bill, for all materials. All materials involved, are premium, corrosion resistant. You can't get away with cheap, Chinese, from recycled scrap. You don't want shot rusting, and falling apart. Before the project is even gets partially installed.

Of course, cost, and efficiency never matter, because it frees us from the 'Evil' CO2, and a scorched planet by 2050 (or did they move that back some more). Sure, wind, and seawater are 'free', but at what point is this project a cost effective means of converting to a usable product? No private company would ever consider getting pulled into s scheme. Extremely high costs to complete the project. Many years, before production can begin. No chance of recovering investment capital, in our lifetime.
15-10-2021 22:34
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
James___ wrote:
duncan61 wrote:
At the moment the efficiency of generating hydrogen and then converting it into water is about 42.5%. Once the efficiency is about 60% then such a system could start generating power.

I thought the plan was to generate electricity with ocean based wind farms then use the electricity to make hydrogen to run a power plant on land.Can you explain how making water from hydrogen creates electricity.

With what Warren suggested, generating AC current and then having transmission lines on the sea floor might be more efficient. This is one reason why with what I wrote I mentioned the efficiency of generating and converting hydrogen into clean energy.
To generate hydrogen, that efficiency is rated at about 75% while converting hydrogen into electricity is rated at about 60%. This is why I suggested onsite conversion might be preferable. A lot of loss in generating, transporting and converting would be removed from consideration.
And this would put the focus on improving the efficiency of generating hydrogen and then converting hydrogen into electricity. Then the water that is the waste generated would provide for hydroelectric power while providing material that can be converted back into hydrogen.
And this also means that it won't matter if the skies are overcast or if there is no wind today. A constant source of energy could be realized. This is why I asked him about making me a coauthor on his paper. If you consider the gigawatts of power that industrialized countries need, then basically the technology that can allow for such power plants IMO should be pursued.

Nope. You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
You will never get more energy out of hydrogen than it cost to make it. Every conversion wastes MORE energy. You are also ignoring the incredibly expensive transmissions lines required. You are also ignoring transmission line losses over such a long wire.

There are a lot cheaper ways to generate electrical power.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 15-10-2021 22:35
15-10-2021 22:36
(21588)
James___ wrote:
This is why I tend to like science. For something like a better hydrogen generator, that can be done with a minimal investment. Some of it might go all the way back to basic principles in electrical fields. After all, Tesla realized the A.C. generator back in 1887.
And with converting hydrogen and oxygen back into water, I think this is something that I might see about building in the coming years. I'll need to pursue my atmospheric chemistry experiment first. It's with the PEM type cell they use, after all, Harvey as his electronic devices and this would be me with mine. This might actually be fun to play around with.

You deny science.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-10-2021 23:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
This is why I tend to like science. For something like a better hydrogen generator, that can be done with a minimal investment. Some of it might go all the way back to basic principles in electrical fields. After all, Tesla realized the A.C. generator back in 1887.
And with converting hydrogen and oxygen back into water, I think this is something that I might see about building in the coming years. I'll need to pursue my atmospheric chemistry experiment first. It's with the PEM type cell they use, after all, Harvey as his electronic devices and this would be me with mine. This might actually be fun to play around with.

You deny science.

I went to a seance once. It just wasn't for me. It was like going Into the Night.
It's just not a place that I think we're supposed to go. Might be why some of us live in the "light" or E = hv.
And from this we derive hv = hc/λ. v is the frequency while lamda (λ) is its wavelength. As Einstein realized, it's all relative.

p.s., with my previous post, Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) is used for the fusion process of generating electricity by creating water. With my atmospheric chemistry experiment, it's about whether or not astrophysics influences our atmosphere and allows for the natural occurrence of a different fusion process.
With the PEM, it might be interesting to try some different experiments with them. It is interesting to think that a small shop would be sufficient for such research. Realistically speaking, it will probably take a fusion process to provide the gigawatts of energy needed to allow for anything close to our way of life.
I do support slowing the economy but that would hurt profits.And this is in disagreement with capitalism which is not about sustainability or quality of life.
In a democracy, 2 out of 3 would win.
Edited on 15-10-2021 23:38
05-12-2021 23:34
Warren D Smith
☆☆☆☆☆
(14)
1. reply to to "James blank":
The usual assessment of "total kinetic energy of air motions" in earth
atmosphere in the sources I was citing, leaves out the fact the earth is
spinning, orbiting the sun, sun orbiting the galaxy, relativistic
effects, etc. It is purely based on the fiction of a stationary
earth, because all that other stuff is irrelevant and unhelpful for climate thinking
purposes. I do not deviate from that convention. Nor, normally, does
anybody else. Those sources mainly used large worldwide many-year
datasets of balloon-radiosonde tracking data to compute wind speeds to deduce
these facts about the earth. (The meteorology books I cited and
warned-to-avoid had just stated numbers with no sources, no evidence, no
calculations at all. They still were right to within a factor of 3,
but that is pretty bad.)

2. Also, somebody had claimed (with zero evidence, and when asked for evidence
refused to provide any) the Hywind Scotland Array had suffered severe
anchor drag, plus anchor chain corrosion requiring expensive replacement.
So I contacted HS and asked about this - confirm? deny? elaborate? Anything?
Alas, no reply ever came back from them after months.

3.To anybody: I'm wondering if there are any actual climate scientists
on this forum.
(Since, e.g, recent posts often seem to have no connection to climate at all.)
If so, can anybody point out some interesting posts by them.
Especially during last 2 years. Thanks.
I found a list claiming to give the top 50 posters on climate-debate.com
and it appears only one of them claims to be a climate scientist, and
she/he quit posting many years ago. Most of those top 50 have fake or
incomplete names.

--Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org
06-12-2021 02:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14394)
Warren D Smith wrote:It is purely based on the fiction of a stationary earth,

Well, you certainly know what you're talking about.

By the way, what is the scientific consensus for the amount of energy in a climate?

Warren D Smith wrote:I found a list claiming to give the top 50 posters on climate-debate.com and it appears only one of them claims to be a climate scientist, and she/he quit posting many years ago.

Well, you certainly know what's important. Let us all know what you learn.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-12-2021 06:46
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Warren D Smith
I have read your post a few times and do not understand what you are sharing
06-12-2021 15:50
(21588)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

You deny science.

I went to a seance once. It just wasn't for me. It was like going Into the Night.
It's just not a place that I think we're supposed to go. Might be why some of us live in the "light" or E = hv.
And from this we derive hv = hc/λ. v is the frequency while lamda (λ) is its wavelength. As Einstein realized, it's all relative.

p.s., with my previous post, Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) is used for the fusion process of generating electricity by creating water. With my atmospheric chemistry experiment, it's about whether or not astrophysics influences our atmosphere and allows for the natural occurrence of a different fusion process.
With the PEM, it might be interesting to try some different experiments with them. It is interesting to think that a small shop would be sufficient for such research. Realistically speaking, it will probably take a fusion process to provide the gigawatts of energy needed to allow for anything close to our way of life.
I do support slowing the economy but that would hurt profits.And this is in disagreement with capitalism which is not about sustainability or quality of life.

Random phrases. No apparent coherency.

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2021 15:51
(21588)
Warren D Smith wrote:
1. reply to to "James blank":
The usual assessment of "total kinetic energy of air motions" in earth
atmosphere in the sources I was citing, leaves out the fact the earth is
spinning, orbiting the sun, sun orbiting the galaxy, relativistic
effects, etc. It is purely based on the fiction of a stationary
earth, because all that other stuff is irrelevant and unhelpful for climate thinking
purposes. I do not deviate from that convention. Nor, normally, does
anybody else. Those sources mainly used large worldwide many-year
datasets of balloon-radiosonde tracking data to compute wind speeds to deduce
these facts about the earth. (The meteorology books I cited and
warned-to-avoid had just stated numbers with no sources, no evidence, no
calculations at all. They still were right to within a factor of 3,
but that is pretty bad.)

2. Also, somebody had claimed (with zero evidence, and when asked for evidence
refused to provide any) the Hywind Scotland Array had suffered severe
anchor drag, plus anchor chain corrosion requiring expensive replacement.
So I contacted HS and asked about this - confirm? deny? elaborate? Anything?
Alas, no reply ever came back from them after months.

3.To anybody: I'm wondering if there are any actual climate scientists
on this forum.
(Since, e.g, recent posts often seem to have no connection to climate at all.)
If so, can anybody point out some interesting posts by them.
Especially during last 2 years. Thanks.
I found a list claiming to give the top 50 posters on climate-debate.com
and it appears only one of them claims to be a climate scientist, and
she/he quit posting many years ago. Most of those top 50 have fake or
incomplete names.

--Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2021 19:14
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14394)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

You deny science.

I'm not sure if I would refer to James__'s post as "random phrases." I see more of a haphazard melange forming an eclectic blend of muddling gulling.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-12-2021 23:41
(5196)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

You deny science.

I'm not sure if I would refer to James__'s post as "random phrases." I see more of a haphazard melange forming an eclectic blend of muddling gulling.

The less wordy version... Kentucky Corn Whiskey.
07-12-2021 00:07
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:

The less wordy version... Kentucky Corn Whiskey.[/quote]

Has that "Florida Sunshine" fried your grey matter? Once again you went off topic. Since you live in Florida I have to wonder, do you have that seniors disease?
You know, the Bingo halls are closed.
Just not sure why you guys can't grasp a simple, even basic concept like the Coulomb effect.
Coulomb's law states that the electrical force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of the quantity of charge on the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the separation distance between the two objects.
Please tell me guys you get this. This is basically Newton's theory of gravity applied to objects that have an electrical charge. Basically astronomy/astrophysics meets the molecular world. It can't be an easier than that.
07-12-2021 20:50
(5196)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Has that "Florida Sunshine" fried your grey matter? Once again you went off topic. Since you live in Florida I have to wonder, do you have that seniors disease?
Just not sure why you guys can't grasp a simple, even basic concept like the Coulomb effect.
Coulomb's law states that the electrical force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of the quantity of charge on the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the separation distance between the two objects.
Please tell me guys you get this. This is basically Newton's theory of gravity applied to objects that have an electrical charge. Basically astronomy/astrophysics meets the molecular world. It can't be an easier than that.[/quote]

Not sure about all that Wikipedia crap. Coulomb in electronics has something to do with charging things like capacitors and batteries. I just barely remember, never used outside of class. Never used in class all that much either... Guessing it works out better on paper, rather than in practice....
08-12-2021 19:31
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Please tell me guys you get this. This is basically Newton's theory of gravity applied to objects that have an electrical charge. Basically astronomy/astrophysics meets the molecular world. It can't be an easier than that.

Not sure about all that Wikipedia crap. Coulomb in electronics has something to do with charging things like capacitors and batteries. I just barely remember, never used outside of class. Never used in class all that much either... Guessing it works out better on paper, rather than in practice....[/quote]

Don't blame you about that Wikipedia crap. Like usual, their article on Coulombs is inaccurate.

A Coulomb is a measure of electrostatic charge, like what an electron has.
One Coulomb is the number of electrons that travel through a wire when one ampere of current flows for one second (approximately 6.24*10^18 electrons.

Since electrons are negatively charged, 6.24*10^18 electrons is one negative Coulomb. The flow definition, however, is expressed as positive Coulombs.

It is often more convenient to count electron charge (or protons of equivalent charge) using this unit, just like it's convenient to refer to dozens of eggs or quarts of milk (instead of drops). It really is not mysterious at all. It's just another way of counting electrostatic charge.

Coulomb's law relates electrostatic charge to a mechanical force in Newtons. In other words, it describes why a balloon that is rubbed against a carpet can be stuck to a window. This too, is not difficult to comprehend. Kids do this as a matter of learning about the world around them.

Since both capacitors and batteries are a bit like a 'tank' for electrons (a place to store them in), then Coulombs can be used to describe how many electrons are stored in them.

It is, of course, not gravity. Gravity is not electrostatic charge, and electrons are not the carrier of gravity.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 08-12-2021 19:40
Page 3 of 3<123

Join the debate "Likely Feasible Solution to World Energy & Carbon Crises" by Warren D Smith:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems82923-04-2024 16:24
Climate Change + Pandemic + Gun Rocket War + Economy Money = Divine World Solution028-12-2023 05:09
The Technology Team & Some Entities Was, Are Preventing The Messiah To Save The World1702-08-2023 06:23
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact