Remember me
▼ Content

John Christy on Climate Change Roundtable

John Christy on Climate Change Roundtable17-11-2013 21:24
kfl
☆☆☆☆☆
(36)
John Christy on Climate Change Roundtable .
Dr. John Christy has in his presentation to Climate Change Roundtable from 30th May 2013 showed a number of graphs.

These graphs are a part of his internet presentation with a mixed panel (pro and con AGW). The panel who were quizzed on climate change by Rep David McKinley, a Republican congressman from the coal state of West Virginia consisted of:

Scott Denning...................Colorado State University
Jim Hurrell.........................National Center for Atmospheric Research
Joe Casola..........................Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
Annie Petsonk...................Environmental Defense Fund
Richard Thomas................West Virginia University
Marc Morano....................Climate Depot
Dennis Avery.....................Hudson Institute
Myron Ebell.......................Competitive Enterprise Institute.

John Christy's remarks to some of these graphs can be found here Committee on Environment and Public Works, 1 August 2012.

In total John Christy is en several ways misrepresenting the climate science?

John Christy on High Temperature Records in the US
Christy's graph on temperature records is shown below:

The graph could lead to various perceptions about temperature changes since there are no guidelines for interpretation of this statistics. This graph is very difficult to use as an argument for or against global warming since this statistics is influenced significant by the heat wave/the Dust Bowl in the 1930th. He states on the basis of the statistics that

The clear evidence is that extreme high temperatures are not increasing in frequency, but actually appear to be decreasing.

John Christy is misrepresenting the climate science.

For more details look into John Christy on High Temperature Records in the US

John Christy on precipitation
John Christy's graph on precipitation is in US is shown below:

John Christy states in Committee on Environment and Public Works,1 August 2012, that there is no development over time. However, it turns out that the wet areas are getting wetter and the dry areas are getting dryer.

Please refer to John Christy on Precipitation .

John Christy on snow cover
Below the graph for the snow cover on the Northern Hemisphere is shown

The unit on the y-axis is millions of square kilometers.

By only showing the November to April snow cover, the he does not give the full picture. It turns out that the snow cover on the Northern Hemisphere is significant decreasing.

Please refer into John Christy on snow cover on the Northern Hemisphere .

John Christy on US tornadoes.
Below the graph for the snow cover on the number of major tornadoes in US is shown:

Without any statistical analysis it looks like the number of tornadoes is fairly constant over the years 1954-2012. However, the number of major tornadoes is significantly decreasing in line with the theory of global warming.

Please refer to John Christy on tornado US tornadoes

John Christy on Tropical Cyclones
Below the graph for the number of tropical cyclone worldwide is shown:

Without any statistical analysis it looks like the number of tropical cyclones is constant or falling. However it turns out the number of tropical storms is decreasing and the major hurricane is increasing in line with the climate science.

Please refer to John Christy on tropical cyclones .

John Christy on model to observation
The following graph shows a comparison between the CIMP5 model and observations regarding mid-troposphere temperature measurements over the tropics

This graph is causing me some difficulties to verify or falsify. I do not have the knowledge about the data behind the graph in order to do so.

So far I will look up this graph as valid knowing that there is an ongoing discussion on the quality of the observed data and the climate models.

Summary
Dr. John Christy is a highly qualified scientist. I am sure that he knows the literature of climate science and is more than competent to read, to interpret and explain this to the public. It is a surprise to me that he does not appear to give the complete picture of the subjects. He is misrepresenting the climate science. This is disappointing: He owes us a better effort.

However, I would like to thank Christy to show the mentioned graphs giving me an opportunity to clarify how these graphs should be interpreted. I would remind Christy to bring the full picture in his next presentation.
Edited on 17-11-2013 21:27
RE: John Christy and statistics...20-11-2013 17:24
kfl
☆☆☆☆☆
(36)
The way John Christy uses statistics in Climate Change Roundtable is in my opinion incomplete and misleading. Therefore, it is justifiable to bring the following cartoon:

Statistics are like a street lamp. Not very informative, but good to lean on. - Robert Storm Petersen
Edited on 20-11-2013 17:32
Join the debate John Christy on Climate Change Roundtable:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Remembering the day that John McCain set the USS Forrestall on fire killing 134 American sailors421-06-2023 21:31
Demokrap senator John Fetterman confined to mental hospital003-03-2023 20:22
John Kerry is a GENIUS!!!!!!!624-04-2021 00:25
Radio Ecoshock - John Mashey lays out the conspiracy, and names names - Feb 20122816-12-2017 03:28
John Christy on US-tornadoes214-12-2013 23:32
Articles
John McCain: Remarks on Climate Change Policy
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact