Remember me
▼ Content

Indoor air humidity

Indoor air humidity29-12-2020 14:52
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
During the winter the humidity level of the rooms tends to get very low. Which is the safest way to rise it? The humidity level is currently around 30% and it will be even lower if the outdoor temperature would drop further down. I have heard about humidifiers but it seems they have quite a lot of problems. For example the salts and minerals etc that are in the water( if using tap water) would also get atomized into the air and they would cover the walls etc. I am sure that lungs also do not like to deal with the calcium carbonate and other particles from the atomized water.
What is the safest option to rise the humidity? There are many types of humidifiers and I can not choose the right one. It seems that the hot mist type are the safest because they would boil the water and therefore kill all the bacters and viruses and as much as I understand the minerals content of the water would also remain in the container. The downside is the high energy consumption.
29-12-2020 15:29
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Xadoman wrote:
During the winter the humidity level of the rooms tends to get very low. Which is the safest way to rise it? The humidity level is currently around 30% and it will be even lower if the outdoor temperature would drop further down. I have heard about humidifiers but it seems they have quite a lot of problems. For example the salts and minerals etc that are in the water( if using tap water) would also get atomized into the air and they would cover the walls etc. I am sure that lungs also do not like to deal with the calcium carbonate and other particles from the atomized water.
What is the safest option to rise the humidity? There are many types of humidifiers and I can not choose the right one. It seems that the hot mist type are the safest because they would boil the water and therefore kill all the bacters and viruses and as much as I understand the minerals content of the water would also remain in the container. The downside is the high energy consumption.

Run distilled water through your humidifier.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-12-2020 16:22
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)

I checked the price of the distilled water but it is just too costly for me. I read about evaporative type of humidifier which uses some kind of filter that absorbs water and then the fans blow the water vapor out of the filter. Supposedly the minerals and other nasties stay in the filter which needs replacement after 4-6 weeks. Sounds beautiful but I have my doubts. I think I will go with the boiling water type of humidifier because it needs no special filters, no distilled water and I do not have to worry about mold or other nasties that could grow inside the humidifier. The heat from boiling water would kill them.
Edited on 29-12-2020 16:23
29-12-2020 16:40
(14389)
Xadoman wrote:

I checked the price of the distilled water but it is just too costly for me.

Really? $0.80 for a gallon at Wal-Mart.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-12-2020 16:45
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I also have a question which is on my mind lately. The house got renovated lately and the builders installed 4 inch external insulation( some kind of wool). I do not remember exactly how it was before renovation but it seems that the low humidity thing started after the renovation. Could it be that insulating the walls messed things up? The walls are made of logs and before the renovation they were covered with some kind of plaster( probably clay) from outside. I am starting to think that the plastered wall kept the moisture much better inside the building. If so then I have to say that I am quite disappointed with the results of the renovation.
29-12-2020 16:51
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
IBdaMann wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

This is quite cheap indeed. Unfortunately the cheapest I found here was about 3 dollars per 5 litres.
29-12-2020 22:43
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Xadoman wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Xadoman wrote:

This is quite cheap indeed. Unfortunately the cheapest I found here was about 3 dollars per 5 litres.

I too use distilled water (for my computer, as it's water cooled). I have never spent more than $1 for it, and that's at Safeway.

Perhaps you should go check out Walmart or Safeway in your area.

Or you could distill your own. Of course, boiling water will leave behind scale and salts, you'll have to keep them cleaned out of your boiler apparatus. On the plus side, you could use the same apparatus to make corn squeezin's.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-12-2020 03:37
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Just get a hot tub installed... Humidify the house, and enjoy a relaxing soak... Can't really imagine a world with a low humidity problem. Never seems to be an issue in Florida. What happens with low humidity, besides static electricity? Dry, cracked skin?
30-12-2020 04:46
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Just get a hot tub installed... Humidify the house, and enjoy a relaxing soak... Can't really imagine a world with a low humidity problem. Never seems to be an issue in Florida. What happens with low humidity, besides static electricity? Dry, cracked skin?

That does seem to increase the humidity quite well, and it also gives you a relaxing spa.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-12-2020 05:28
(14389)
HarveyH55 wrote: What happens with low humidity, besides static electricity? Dry, cracked skin?

Whatever happens with low humidity stays with low humidity.

30-12-2020 12:02
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Dry skin, dry eyes, congested nose etc. It dryes out mucous membranes in the airways and makes people prone to get infections such as covid. It also messes up music instruments made of wood. I do not have them but I can see how it shrinks the wood. For example I can not close some doors because the springed tonque of the door lock does not reach into the socket anymore. Overall it is quite an annoyance during heating period.
I already have a bathtub but I use it reasonably because the house is made of wood. Too much moisture falling down on the floor could rot the wood and the whole thing could eventually fell through the floor. If it were a stone house with concrete floors then ofcourse I would sit in the hot bathtub every night.
30-12-2020 13:19
(21588)
Xadoman wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Dry skin, dry eyes, congested nose etc. It dryes out mucous membranes in the airways and makes people prone to get infections such as covid. It also messes up music instruments made of wood. I do not have them but I can see how it shrinks the wood. For example I can not close some doors because the springed tonque of the door lock does not reach into the socket anymore. Overall it is quite an annoyance during heating period.
I already have a bathtub but I use it reasonably because the house is made of wood. Too much moisture falling down on the floor could rot the wood and the whole thing could eventually fell through the floor. If it were a stone house with concrete floors then ofcourse I would sit in the hot bathtub every night.

So the house has a crawlspace?

You can still sit in the hot bath every night. Just leave the bathroom door open. The moisture won't build up in the bathroom that way, and the humidity will increase to a reasonably comfortable level without dripping anywhere.

That is assuming, of course, that the attic is properly vented and insulation has been placed in the joists above the ceiling. That sort of thing has been required by code for some time now.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 30-12-2020 13:20

Join the debate Indoor air humidity:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
B-17 and Bell King Cobra collided at Dallas air show today. Story at 11013-11-2022 01:38
HOW PRACTICAL IS HARVESTING WATER FROM THE AIR?101-11-2021 00:34
Lion Air 737 Max 8 Crash7530-10-2019 18:29
I don't believe CO2 makes air hotter because I don't see any experimental proof509-10-2019 03:15
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact