Remember me
▼ Content

I say, let the ice melt



Page 1 of 212>
I say, let the ice melt31-12-2015 15:34
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Almost everyone have never seen sea ice and land glaciers their entire lives. Only like, a few thousand people who live in the north, mostly Inuit people do. I say, ice serves humanity no good. They are too cold and hog too much fresh water from humanity. So, I say, let them be gone. What say you?
Edited on 31-12-2015 16:10
31-12-2015 15:51
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Almost everyone have never seen sea ice and land glaciers their entire lives. Only like, a few thousand people live in the north, mostly Inuit people. I say, ice serves humanity no good. They are too cold and hog too much fresh water from humanity. So, I say, let them be gone. What say you?


it seems a bad idea. there's quite a few animal species that depend on that environment: diversity is a good thing. Also, getting of the albeido effect from all that ice doesn't bring good prospects in terms of future warming.
31-12-2015 16:02
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Almost everyone have never seen sea ice and land glaciers their entire lives. Only like, a few thousand people live in the north, mostly Inuit people. I say, ice serves humanity no good. They are too cold and hog too much fresh water from humanity. So, I say, let them be gone. What say you?


it seems a bad idea. there's quite a few animal species that depend on that environment: diversity is a good thing. Also, getting of the albeido effect from all that ice doesn't bring good prospects in terms of future warming.


What species depends on ice? Reducing albedo is better. Warmer is better. Earth is too cold at the moment.
Edited on 31-12-2015 16:06
31-12-2015 16:22
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Almost everyone have never seen sea ice and land glaciers their entire lives. Only like, a few thousand people live in the north, mostly Inuit people. I say, ice serves humanity no good. They are too cold and hog too much fresh water from humanity. So, I say, let them be gone. What say you?


it seems a bad idea. there's quite a few animal species that depend on that environment: diversity is a good thing. Also, getting of the albeido effect from all that ice doesn't bring good prospects in terms of future warming.


What species depends on ice?


polar bears, certain seal species (harp seal, spotted seal and the ringed seal), walruses, certain seabird species (ivory gulls and little auks), Ice algae. check the level of dependency and reasons for ut here:

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/arctic-climate-change/l-2/5-arctic-animals.htm

this is just regarding artic sea ice, many other species are perfectly adapted to the tundra conditions on the lands around the arctic oceans.



Reducing albedo is better. Warmer is better. Earth is too cold at the moment.

you said that already, but you haven't explained why: what we know for sure is that the earth as it is today is very adequate to mammal/primate/man.
And that those weren't around in periods the earth was warmer.

Or by "better" you mean "better for reptiles"? I would agree with that
31-12-2015 16:28
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
this summary is more extensive and has more species that use the arctic as part of their ecossystem:

http://www.caff.is/assessment-series/97-arctic-sea-ice-ecosystem-a-summary-of-species-that-depend-on-and-associate-with/download
Edited on 31-12-2015 16:30
31-12-2015 16:33
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tundra#Arctic


1,700 species of vascular plants and only 48 species of land mammals can be found, although millions of birds migrate there each year for the marshes.[5] There are also a few fish species. There are few species with large populations. Notable animals in the Arctic tundra include caribou (reindeer), musk ox, Arctic hare, Arctic fox, snowy owl, lemmings, and polar bears (only near ocean-fed bodies of water).[6] Tundra is largely devoid of poikilotherms such as frogs or lizards.
31-12-2015 16:35
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Polar bears can hybridize with brown bears. Seals don't need to stay on ice. They can stay on the shore.
31-12-2015 16:44
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Polar bears can hybridize with brown bears.

Are you saying we should just give up on this species just because of hybridization? And it doesn't really help. Look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_speciation


For a hybrid form to persist, it will generally have to be able to exploit the available resources better than either parent species, which, in most cases, it will have to compete with. While grizzly bears and polar bears may have offspring, a grizzly–polar bear hybrid will likely be less suited in either of the ecological roles than the parents themselves. Although the hybrid is fertile, this poor adaptation would prevent the establishment of a permanent population.



Seals don't need to stay on ice. They can stay on the shore.

You asked for species that depended on sea ice. I gave you 3 seal species that do, which contradicts your generic, vague and baseless assertion on "seals", whatever it is you think "seal" means regarding animal species.
31-12-2015 18:04
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Polar bears can hybridize with brown bears.

Are you saying we should just give up on this species just because of hybridization? And it doesn't really help. Look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_speciation


For a hybrid form to persist, it will generally have to be able to exploit the available resources better than either parent species, which, in most cases, it will have to compete with. While grizzly bears and polar bears may have offspring, a grizzly–polar bear hybrid will likely be less suited in either of the ecological roles than the parents themselves. Although the hybrid is fertile, this poor adaptation would prevent the establishment of a permanent population.



Seals don't need to stay on ice. They can stay on the shore.

You asked for species that depended on sea ice. I gave you 3 seal species that do, which contradicts your generic, vague and baseless assertion on "seals", whatever it is you think "seal" means regarding animal species.


Species come and go. The woolly rhino, the cave lion, the saber tooth tiger, the mammoth, once inhabited ice age Europe. There are no more rhinos, lions, tigers, elephants in Europe. Today they are all in Africa and India.
Edited on 31-12-2015 18:07
31-12-2015 19:47
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
it doesn't mean we have to, or even have the right to, speed up the process of extinction: nature does it well by itself
31-12-2015 19:49
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
it doesn't mean we have to, or even have the right to, speed up the process of extinction: nature does it well by itself


Nature does not give mankind a good environment. Mankind transforms nature in order to thrive. If mankind didn't invent agriculture, today there would only be like a million humans around, tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHB0X_r_Kw
Edited on 31-12-2015 19:52
31-12-2015 19:59
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Oh, I forgot to mention, there used to wild horses and bisons in Europe during the ice age. Today Europe has very little wild life left. Only some brown bears.
Edited on 31-12-2015 20:00
31-12-2015 20:03
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
it doesn't mean we have to, or even have the right to, speed up the process of extinction: nature does it well by itself


Nature does not give mankind a good environment.

Yes, it does! It allowed man to evolve! You're talking nonsense, sir.

Mankind transforms nature in order to thrive. If mankind didn't invent agriculture, today there would only be like a million humans around, tops.

It doesn't feel necessary to me. Anyway, what's done it's done: the question is that we clearly have done too much damage and are aware of it, so the moral imperative is to stop. We can do it too, you know..
31-12-2015 20:08
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote: it doesn't mean we have to, or even have the right to, speed up the process of extinction: nature does it well by itself

As if ice melting means humans are speeding up extinction.

I suppose if you could be easily duped into believing Global Warming then no one should be surprised at whatever you assert next.

So sitting on ice because happens to be there is "depending on it"? Interesting. I wonder how seals that live where there is no ice manage to prevent their own extinction. What do the seals know that we don't?


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-12-2015 20:21
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
IBdaMann wrote:
Barts wrote: it doesn't mean we have to, or even have the right to, speed up the process of extinction: nature does it well by itself

As if ice melting means humans are speeding up extinction.

Not just ice melting, but all the transformations humans are imposing on the planet: you should read more carefully, the number of times you interpret something wrongly is frightening.

Silly, silly IBdaMann...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

The Holocene extinction, sometimes called the Sixth Extinction, is a name proposed to describe the ongoing extinction event of species during the present Holocene epoch (since around 10,000 BCE) mainly due to human activity.




I suppose if you could be easily duped into believing Global Warming then no one should be surprised at whatever you assert next.

So sitting on ice because happens to be there is "depending on it"?

Nope. nobody talked about sitting.. you're inventing stuff again..


Interesting. I wonder how seals that live where there is no ice manage to prevent their own extinction. What do the seals know that we don't?


.

What kind of species is a seal? Can you introduce it to me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinniped


Pinnipeds commonly known as seals,[a] are a widely distributed and diverse clade of carnivorous, fin-footed, semiaquatic marine mammals. They comprise the extant families Odobenidae (whose only living member is the walrus), Otariidae (the eared seals: sea lions and fur seals), and Phocidae (the earless seals, or true seals). There are 33 extant species of pinnipeds



Me, talking about seal species that have dependency on Arctic ice and being specific about them:
certain seal species (harp seal, spotted seal and the ringed seal),
31-12-2015 20:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote: Not just ice melting, but all the transformations humans are imposing on the planet:

...and I suppose humans are responsible for tectonic shifts as well.

Barts wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

Dismissed.



Barts wrote: What kind of species is a seal? Can you introduce it to me?

Monk seal, meet Barts. Barts, meet monk seal.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-12-2015 20:44
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
I like seals, but to say seals would become extinct because of melting sea ice is simply silly.
31-12-2015 20:49
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
IBdaMann wrote:
Barts wrote: Not just ice melting, but all the transformations humans are imposing on the planet:

...and I suppose humans are responsible for tectonic shifts as well.

????

Barts wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

Dismissed.

You're a lunatic lol


Barts wrote: What kind of species is a seal? Can you introduce it to me?

Monk seal, meet Barts. Barts, meet monk seal.


Not really one of the 3 seal species I presented as examples, is it?
You are being even more dense than usual, IB.


.

!
31-12-2015 21:06
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote: Not really one of the 3 seal species I presented as examples, is it?

They are two species that I am presenting.

Why are they not extinct? They have no ice whatsoever in their habitats.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-12-2015 21:53
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
You really need to read better, dude. You'll make fewer mistakes..

IBdaMann wrote:
Barts wrote: Not really one of the 3 seal species I presented as examples, is it?

They are two species that I am presenting.


The conversation started with Tai asking:


What species depends on ice?


to which I replied:


polar bears, certain seal species (harp seal, spotted seal and the ringed seal), walruses, certain seabird species (ivory gulls and little auks), Ice algae. check the level of dependency and reasons for ut here:


to which you said, out of the blue:


So sitting on ice because happens to be there is "depending on it"? Interesting. I wonder how seals that live where there is no ice manage to prevent their own extinction. What do the seals know that we don't?


showing no ability to distinguish between different species of seal, or the context of the conversation. Tai asked for examples of species that depend on ice, I gave them to him, your participation refering other species is nonsense.


Why are they not extinct? They have no ice whatsoever in their habitats.

Because they are different species. Duhh

monk seal Not Equal To harp seal.

.[/quote]
31-12-2015 21:57
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.
Edited on 31-12-2015 21:59
31-12-2015 22:00
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.


I just show a bunch of them that do depend on ice. With multiple sources, you just decided to ignore them. Deal with them before moving on to general baseless assertions, please.
31-12-2015 22:01
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote:to which you said, out of the blue:

You were trying to make the case that seals somehow "depend" on the ice whereas it seems that they don't depend on it at all. Rather, it appears that they exist atop ice at times but could just as easily exist on ground that had no ice. I gave examples of seal species that exist without ice.

How is it that harp seals "depend' on ice? Are you claiming that they eat it? Are you claiming the ice affords them something without which they would not survive?


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-12-2015 22:01
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.


I just show a bunch of them that do depend on ice. With multiple sources, you just decided to ignore them. Deal with them before moving on to general baseless assertions, please.


No animal depends on ice.
31-12-2015 22:02
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.


I just show a bunch of them that do depend on ice. With multiple sources, you just decided to ignore them. Deal with them before moving on to general baseless assertions, please.


No animal depends on ice.


Now you're just repeating your baseless assertion. Well done.
31-12-2015 22:04
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.


I just show a bunch of them that do depend on ice. With multiple sources, you just decided to ignore them. Deal with them before moving on to general baseless assertions, please.


No animal depends on ice.


Now you're just repeating your baseless assertion. Well done.


Seals don't depend on ice. Bears don't depend on ice. Penguins don't depend on ice. People don't depend on ice. Foxes don't depend on ice. Hares don't depend on ice. Varieties of them are adapted for icy environments, but it does not mean any animal depends on ice.
Edited on 31-12-2015 22:05
31-12-2015 22:15
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Specific species that do depend on Arctic Sea Ice with supporting link, to the attention of Tai:

Barts wrote:

polar bears, certain seal species (harp seal, spotted seal and the ringed seal), walruses, certain seabird species (ivory gulls and little auks), Ice algae. check the level of dependency and reasons for ut here:

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/arctic-climate-change/l-2/5-arctic-animals.htm

31-12-2015 22:19
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
You don't seem to understand what species mean, do you, Tai?


a species (abbreviated sp., with the plural form species abbreviated spp.) is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms where two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile offspring (hybrids), typically using sexual reproduction.


Changing your language to "Varieties of animals", whatever that means, doesn't save you.

Your original question:


What species depends on ice?


Just recognize I'm right. It's the honest thing to do.
31-12-2015 22:27
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
Barts wrote:
You don't seem to understand what species mean, do you, Tai?


a species (abbreviated sp., with the plural form species abbreviated spp.) is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms where two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile offspring (hybrids), typically using sexual reproduction.


Changing your language to "Varieties of animals", whatever that means, doesn't save you.

Your original question:


What species depends on ice?


Just recognize I'm right. It's the honest thing to do.


Inuit people are adapted to an icy environment. They are not a species. Polar bears, Arctic fox, Arctic hares, Arctic owls, none of them are species.

Zoologists over stated the number of species. Most of the so called species are actually varieties, not species.
Edited on 31-12-2015 22:48
31-12-2015 23:34
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
You don't seem to understand what species mean, do you, Tai?


a species (abbreviated sp., with the plural form species abbreviated spp.) is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as the largest group of organisms where two individuals are capable of reproducing fertile offspring (hybrids), typically using sexual reproduction.


Changing your language to "Varieties of animals", whatever that means, doesn't save you.

Your original question:


What species depends on ice?


Just recognize I'm right. It's the honest thing to do.


Inuit people are adapted to an icy environment. They are not a species. Polar bears, Arctic fox, Arctic hares, Arctic owls, none of them are species.

Zoologists over stated the number of species. Most of the so called species are actually varieties, not species.


Pfuuuu.. you're not very smart, I can tell...

Inuit people are part of the human species.. All people are, it's just one species, it's called Humans.

Polar bears are a unique species.
So do Arctic Foxes
Arctic Hares
Arctic Owls

Look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear
Species: U. maritimus

from the Genus: Ursus


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_fox

Genus: Vulpes
Species: V. lagopus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_owl

Genus: Bubo
Species: B. scandiacus


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_hare


The Arctic hare[2] (Lepus arcticus), or polar rabbit, is a species of hare which is adapted largely to polar and mountainous habitats.


Genus: Lepus
Species: L. arcticus


you really need to improve your taxonomy skills, dude.
pfuuuuuuu
31-12-2015 23:42
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genus


A genus (/ˈdʒiːnəs/, pl. genera) is a taxonomic rank used in the biological classification of living and fossil organisms in biology. In the hierarchy of biological classification, genus comes above species and below family. In binomial nomenclature, the genus name forms the first part of the binomial species name for each species within the genus.


They are distinct things. If you want to rise again the issue of hybridization let me remind you that generally hybrids cannot interbreed sucessfully (because they are not a species, but the fruit of interbreed between two species, usually from the same genus), which is kinda important, if you want them not to go extinct. Think Horses and Donkeys.
01-01-2016 00:28
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote:
Just recognize I'm right. It's the honest thing to do.

Somebody sure seems desperate for a win.

Barts wrote:Pfuuuu.. you're not very smart, I can tell...

Awesome! Pot meet kettle.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-01-2016 01:12
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
IBdaMann wrote:
Barts wrote:
Just recognize I'm right. It's the honest thing to do.

Somebody sure seems desperate for a win.

Not really.. this is actually too easy, I'll get bored in no time: you people need to find someone that can actually give a fight.

Barts wrote:Pfuuuu.. you're not very smart, I can tell...

Awesome! Pot meet kettle.


.

Ehhh, it seems a fair representation for someone that doesn't know what a species is, or distinguish the concept from genus.
01-01-2016 02:05
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1077)
There is no formal definition of species. I'm sure, some alien scientists, class Inuits as a separate species from other people. Doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.
01-01-2016 02:12
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
There is no formal definition of species. I'm sure, some alien scientists, class Inuits as a separate species from other people. Doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.

"Species" is determined by ability to reproduce. Yes, there are gray areas.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-01-2016 02:18
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
IBdaMann wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
There is no formal definition of species. I'm sure, some alien scientists, class Inuits as a separate species from other people. Doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.

"Species" is determined by ability to reproduce. Yes, there are gray areas.

[/quote]
You're being inaccurate. It's ability to reproduce fertile offspring. And there's absolutely no doubt that Polar Bear is indeed a species, like Tai Chen foolishly tried to deny, and that Polar Bear - Grizzle Bear hybrids are not a separate species, just an hybrid.
01-01-2016 02:21
Barts
★☆☆☆☆
(52)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
There is no formal definition of species. I'm sure, some alien scientists, class Inuits as a separate species from other people. Doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.


I wouldn't be surprised you or IB would try class to classify people as a different species from people. Any "alien scientist" or "you-kind" that would do that, would be just throwing nonsense into the air with no logical or evidence support, obviously. Like IB and you do here... Nonsense
01-01-2016 02:48
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
There is no formal definition of species......


Take a beginning biology class sometime.
When you've done the coursework you'll be expected to be able to explain what a species is. Get it wrong, maybe flunk the course.
01-01-2016 06:20
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5025)
Barts wrote: It's ability to reproduce fertile offspring.

Yes.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
04-01-2016 08:33
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(9872)
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Barts wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Not a single animal depends on ice. Not even penguins do. Furthermore, Inuits ought to practice agriculture when it gets warmer, so they would not have to live like bloodthirsty carnivores all the time. Remember, meat is unhealthy. Go vegan.


I just show a bunch of them that do depend on ice. With multiple sources, you just decided to ignore them. Deal with them before moving on to general baseless assertions, please.


No animal depends on ice.


Now you're just repeating your baseless assertion. Well done.


Argumentum ad lapidem. You have not provided any counter examples of why any animals you have listed depend on ice. You are just dismissing Tai Hai Chen's statement out of hand.


The Parrot Killer
Page 1 of 212>





Join the debate I say, let the ice melt:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
"GREENLANDS melting ice may affect everyone"922-10-2019 23:17
Plant Growth and Ice Cores617-09-2019 22:45
ice melting223-06-2019 19:52
Temperatures leap 40 degrees above normal as the Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June mel318-06-2019 06:22
Siberian ice melting!012-06-2019 21:32
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact