Remember me
▼ Content

I feel left out

I feel left out20-08-2020 13:59
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
In W.A. we have no Covid cases and the borders are closed.I am sure when I get my CO2 sensor it will show 285ppm so I feel a bit left out

duncan61
20-08-2020 18:50
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
duncan61 wrote:
In W.A. we have no Covid cases and the borders are closed.I am sure when I get my CO2 sensor it will show 285ppm so I feel a bit left out

At least in WA, United States, the borders aren't closed (except with Canada).

CO2 is not uniformly distributed in the atmosphere. You might want to take several readings. In some rooms you might see a reading as high as 1000. Outdoors, depending on location, you could very well see variable readings, depending on how close to some fire or some thick vegetation you are. You should take multiple readings throughout the year also, since actively growing vegetation can change the value. That's all seasonal.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 20-08-2020 18:51
20-08-2020 19:45
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Into the Night wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

At least in WA, United States, the borders aren't closed (except with Canada).

CO2 is not uniformly distributed in the atmosphere. You might want to take several readings. In some rooms you might see a reading as high as 1000. Outdoors, depending on location, you could very well see variable readings, depending on how close to some fire or some thick vegetation you are. You should take multiple readings throughout the year also, since actively growing vegetation can change the value. That's all seasonal.

Great points.

In my mind, the two single biggest factors are:

1) outdoors vs. indoors. Walls prevent airflow and CO2 from indoor sources accumulates indoors and will never be related to outdoor CO2 levels. Personally I think you erred somewhat in your wording by implying that 1,000 ppm was some sort of upper limit. Presuming his CO2 meter is accurate he should find indoor settings above 1,000 rather easily.

2) elevation. CO2 is a heavy molecule. Most of Perth is close to sea level. My guess is that as soon as duncan gets an opportunity to check CO2 in a rocky, outdoor mountainous region at elevation ... the readings will plummet big time.

I actually have great expectations. I have a particular agenda. I don't mean to hype but this will actually be HUGE and I thoroughly plan on broadcasting this all over the internet. This is what we're looking at:

Our current "conventional wisdom" which is "what we know" of earth's atmosphere is that it is currently uniform at 412 ppm, right? (see attached)

What I expect that we will be learning is that the earth's atmosphere is just under 300 ppm at sea level (not necessarily uniformly distributed) ... that
it drops to close to 100 ppm at a couple of kilometers and then drops off to below his meter's tolerance at a few more kilometers, i.e. our Wikipedia-propogated notion that earth's CO2 percentage is 0.042% CO2 is going to suffer a hit. I'm going to draw up the "Duncan Model" (I was going to call it the "IBDaModel" but that wouldn't be right) based on duncan's measurements, with elevation being the most important, and I'm betting that my calculations will show an earth's global atmospheric CO2 percentage as being much closer to 0.013% than 0.0412%.

It will be glorious. duncan, no pressure ... it's only the future of earth science that rests on your shoulders. No pressure.

Did I mention that elevation is key?
Attached image:

Edited on 20-08-2020 19:48
20-08-2020 20:04
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
I think nobody wants people from Florida. Quite a list of states requiring us to self-quarantine 14 days.

I'm fairly certain that the CO2 readings are going to be much lower the Mauna Loa. Active volcano, an little vegetation. Seems to be the number one location, least it gets mentioned most.
20-08-2020 20:23
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
On Skeptical science it claims the measurements are taken from over 10,000 sites.then in the same paragraph it just quotes Mauna loa.My rifle club is up in the Perth hills in state forest so a reading there will be interesting.
20-08-2020 22:21
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
duncan61 wrote: On Skeptical science it claims the measurements are taken from over 10,000 sites.then in the same paragraph it just quotes Mauna loa.

I hope you are not surprised. Soon you will be making them all look foolish.

duncan61 wrote:My rifle club is up in the Perth hills in state forest so a reading there will be interesting.

If you wouldn't mind, let's standardize on elevations used here.

Wherever you measure, try to pinpoint the location on this topographic map and we'll use that as our "official" elevation ... however if you also know of second elevation measure, note it for reference.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
20-08-2020 23:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:

Really? In Australia the hot spot seems to be in Victoria.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk037559Nqn4vqT7bqPVlrMdtROXdjw%3A1597955111113&ei=J9w-X_LABtuStAbPia2AAg&q=covid+19+cases+in+western+australia&oq=covid+19+cases+in+western+australia&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIFCAAQxAIyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoECAAQRzoECCMQJzoECAAQQzoFCAAQkQI6CAgAELEDEIMBOgcIABCxAxBDOgIIADoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoFCAAQsQM6BwgAELEDEApQnRtY8GRg4WdoAHABeACAAeoBiAHRHJIBBzIwLjEzLjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiy8I7WzqrrAhVbCc0KHc9ECyAQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Maybe what benefits Aussies like yourself is that you live on an island and it's not Hawai'i? The Outback might be a good steak house but why go to Australia for that when we have an Outback here?
I mean you guys can't even drive to Alice Springs without going 4 wheeling. Please don't make Australians seem like idiots. The country has a lot of remote locations and that's different than living in the US.
21-08-2020 03:42
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
36 h (3,419.3 km) via National Highway A1 Perth to Melbourne.It was a bit tongue in cheek.
21-08-2020 04:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
36 h (3,419.3 km) via National Highway A1 Perth to Melbourne.It was a bit tongue in cheek.

What? No pictures of the Southern Ocean? You are a cheep bastard, aren't you ?

p.s., there is Outback Truckies and Their Prime Movers on NetFlix.

And on a historical note, when AC/DC was driving from Adelaide to Perth across the Nullarbor Plain, they wrote the song Highway to Hell about the road leading out of Perth to a bar where many rock bands played.
Still, I like INXS and Midnight Oil.

Edited on 21-08-2020 04:11
21-08-2020 10:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
James___ wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

What? No pictures of the Southern Ocean? You are a cheep bastard, aren't you ?

p.s., there is Outback Truckies and Their Prime Movers on NetFlix.

And on a historical note, when AC/DC was driving from Adelaide to Perth across the Nullarbor Plain, they wrote the song Highway to Hell about the road leading out of Perth to a bar where many rock bands played.
Still, I like INXS and Midnight Oil.

I like AC/DC a lot, until Bonn Scott died. Never really took to the new singer.
21-08-2020 12:42
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Hwy to hell is Canning Hwy from Perth to Fremantle because you get sentenced to jail in Perth and driven to Fremantle jail.Jailbreak was filmed at Fremantle prison in the 70s.Canning Hwy was closed a few months ago in celebration of the song 50 years ago.I was 9 when it came out and remember it on Countdown with Molly Meldrum.
27-08-2020 06:14
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
The CO2 sensor is showing 560ppm on the bonnet.I wish to fully charge it before I start moving around and taking measurements

Join the debate I feel left out:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The USA, China & Other Nations Have 10 Days Left To Choose Their Fate106-01-2022 04:00
By 2080, global warming will make New York City feel like Arkansas320-02-2019 18:51
Something To Make itn feel Good2226-07-2018 20:15
Don't feel guilty about driving your car123-11-2014 15:12
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact