Remember me
▼ Content

Hurricane Michael Is Officially More Powerful than Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Michael Is Officially More Powerful than Hurricane Katrina11-10-2018 03:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
..For some strange reason the frequency that we have strong hurricanes seems to have increased.

https://www.livescience.com/63798-hurricane-michael-more-instense-than-katrina.html?utm_source=notification
11-10-2018 04:39
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:
..For some strange reason the frequency that we have strong hurricanes seems to have increased.

It really flies in the face of northern hemisphere warming, doesn't it? (if it were actually true, of course)
11-10-2018 15:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:

It really flies in the face of northern hemisphere warming, doesn't it? (if it were actually true, of course)

...It'd actually be in agreement with it. Hurricane Michael went from a tropical storm to almost a level 4 hurricane in less than 48 hours. There is something I haven't seen mentioned in here which does make me wonder about co2's influence on our atmosphere. There are slightly fewer tornadoes and hurricanes but their intensities have significantly increased.
11-10-2018 17:44
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
..p.s., the water near the Florida panhandle was +4° F. warmer than normal.
11-10-2018 18:42
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James,

We've been through this.

1. Show me an increase in violent tornado numbers. It hasn't happened.

2. We've shown on any random day the water temps from buoy readings can vary 5 degrees over just a few miles. What is your source on this?
11-10-2018 20:46
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

2. We've shown on any random day the water temps from buoy readings can vary 5 degrees over just a few miles. What is your source on this?

...Why don't you show otherwise? It's all over the news.
Edited on 11-10-2018 21:17
11-10-2018 21:33
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

As easy as that would be...you made the claim, back it up with something.
12-10-2018 02:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

...We could take a poll and see how many people in here know that hurricanes will increase in strength because of warmer water. That might have something to do with them being called heat engines. Yet all your showing is your ignorance.
12-10-2018 06:18
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

...We could take a poll and see how many people in here know that hurricanes will increase in strength because of warmer water. That might have something to do with them being called heat engines. Yet all your showing is your ignorance.

I remember quite few polls that had Trump losing badly. Enough said about that?

Warm water does not make a hurricane stronger. We've been through this one too. Why don't hurricanes form near the equator where the water is warmest?

Warm water is certainly one ingredient to a strong hurricane, but it's not what increases their strength. But enough about that...

How are you coming along with your sources? Can you post up a link or something to show that tornadoes are getting less frequent but stronger?
12-10-2018 15:22
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

...The pictures are of my invitation to volunteer for the Republican Party of Kentucky for Pres. Trump's visit Saturday to support Congressman Barr who I am in the 2nd picture with.
..You haven't watched any news about Hurricane Michael? I could post research but you'll just ignore it. It's sad because if anyone has watched any news then they'd know that Hurricane Michael went from a Category 1 to almost Category 4 in less than 2 days. That usually takes about 5 days. Enough said about that?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qATiAiZBL8rDjSaT7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E98YnkZmkZMBRDip9
Edited on 12-10-2018 15:23
12-10-2018 16:41
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
...It's funny gasguzzler but I've never met a Republican who's actually met a Republican politician or have attended any events sponsored by a Republican. If I go Saturday it will mark the 3rd time I have been at an event hosted by Republican Congressman Barr.
..I am on disability and have a fixed income. I need surgery I can't have because of no oversight of our healthcare system. Otherwise I'd probably would be working because I could've kept my job. I'm on the fence about going. As an American it would let me understand a little better how our political system works. I do need to remember that you don't like me and you seem to support Pres. Trump. I hope you see the irony in this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qVihzh513ZdTRx9G8

..And gasguzzler, if you look at the top of the screen shot that I captured, the tab EKU/Rally is shown. The original link discussed EKU's policy concerning rallies in general. I'll let you see it for yourself because I'm a nice guy

..The original web page that was linked;
https://www.eku.edu/rally-message-october-5-2018

..The page the same link is linked with;
https://www.eku.edu/rally

...Enough said about that? Mind you gasguzzler, I think this is funny as he11 because you brought Pres. Trump in it to support your claims. I think it's outright hilarious. And what helps to make it so funny is that you've probably never met a Republican or even communicated with the Republican party. Nope, nothing on your side except posts and to this I'll say that when I served in the U.S. Navy it was about the Red, White and Blue and not if it was Red or Blue.
..What is it they say? There are 2 sides to every story and then there is the truth?
..Enough said about that?
Edited on 12-10-2018 17:30
12-10-2018 21:19
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

We've been through this too. Hurricanes are not caused by warmer water.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
12-10-2018 21:23
(21582)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James,

We've been through this.

..You haven't watched any news about Hurricane Michael?

Michael is one hurricane. It wasn't even the strongest to hit Florida.
James___ wrote:
I could post research but you'll just ignore it.

Research isn't data.
James___ wrote:
It's sad because if anyone has watched any news then they'd know that Hurricane Michael went from a Category 1 to almost Category 4 in less than 2 days.

So? Sometimes it takes only one day!
James___ wrote:
That usually takes about 5 days.

Irrelevant.
James___ wrote:
Enough said about that?

Yup. You are making another compositional error. It's the same kind error that causes your bigotry.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
12-10-2018 21:37
(21582)
James___ wrote:
...It's funny gasguzzler but I've never met a Republican who's actually met a Republican politician or have attended any events sponsored by a Republican.

You need to get out more.
James___ wrote:
If I go Saturday it will mark the 3rd time I have been at an event hosted by Republican Congressman Barr.
Irrelevant and off topic.
James___ wrote:
..I am on disability and have a fixed income.

Why? Get off your butt and get or make a job. I did work for a guy that had no use of his legs that started two successful businesses. I know a blind radio announcer (he's pretty good!), and another that's a piano tuner (he's excellent!).
James___ wrote:
I need surgery I can't have because of no oversight of our healthcare system.

You can get surgery.
James___ wrote:
Otherwise I'd probably would be working because I could've kept my job.

No, you would rather be on welfare.
James___ wrote:
I'm on the fence about going.

No, you're griping about the fences around you. Get off your butt and get or make a job. If you can to visit politicians, you can get a job or start a company.
James___ wrote:
As an American it would let me understand a little better how our political system works.
So you have no idea? You claim to have served in the U.S. military and you have no clue?
James___ wrote:
I do need to remember that you don't like me and you seem to support Pres. Trump. I hope you see the irony in this.

Trump is not keeping you getting any surgery you need. He is not keeping you from working.
James___ wrote:
...Enough said about that? Mind you gasguzzler, I think this is funny as he11 because you brought Pres. Trump in it to support your claims. I think it's outright hilarious. And what helps to make it so funny is that you've probably never met a Republican or even communicated with the Republican party.

You have no idea who he has met or when.
James___ wrote:
Nope, nothing on your side except posts and to this I'll say that when I served in the U.S. Navy it was about the Red, White and Blue and not if it was Red or Blue.

I don't believe you. I don't believe you can't get surgery either. I don't believe you can't work. You're a lazy ass that doesn't want to work.
James___ wrote:
..What is it they say? There are 2 sides to every story and then there is the truth?
..Enough said about that?

It is obvious you have little knowledge about the sea, about the U.S. military, about the VA, about the hospitals, or about capitalism.

The Parrot Killer

12-10-2018 23:41
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James.
You said we could take a poll on Hurricanes and how they gain strength.
I said polls showed Trump losing. It was a statement about polls being wrong, as are the people using them to prove anything. It was not a political statement. Apparently that one went way over your head.

No, I did not watch much news on this latest hurricane. Mt current line of work (preforeclosure work for banks)has slowed dramatically, thanks to Trump. I am successfully pursuing another line of work and have been extremely busy doing both...with a disability. Anyway, I did watch the radar closely as this hurricane came ashore. What I found impressive about this storm, compared to others over the last decade, is how long it maintained wind speed after complete landfall. Many times they will utterly collapse even as the eye wall is still offshore. This thing hung Cat 3? till the Georgea border with a well defined eye. I've not had time to look at the data but it appeared on radar to be going through an eye wall restructuring phase as it was just off shore. By the way, I don't like my new "updated" radar on my phone.

ITN, you got any idea what happened to Intellicast for Android? It was the best detail available for years, and then suddenly it turned to this crap....and I can't find a decent alternative. You're a pilot. What app do you prefer?

Too much chit to do do, gotta run thanks for any help on that radar!
13-10-2018 00:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.
I said polls showed Trump losing. It was a statement about polls being wrong, as are the people using them to prove anything. It was not a political statement. Apparently that one went way over your head.

No, I did not watch much news on this latest hurricane. Mt current line of work (preforeclosure work for banks)has slowed dramatically, thanks to Trump. I am successfully pursuing another line of work and have been extremely busy doing both...with a disability. Anyway, I did watch the radar closely as this hurricane came ashore. What I found impressive about this storm, compared to others over the last decade, is how long it maintained wind speed after complete landfall. Many times they will utterly collapse even as the eye wall is still offshore. This thing hung Cat 3? till the Georgea border with a well defined eye. I've not had time to look at the data but it appeared on radar to be going through an eye wall restructuring phase as it was just off shore. By the way, I don't like my new "updated" radar on my phone.

ITN, you got any idea what happened to Intellicast for Android? It was the best detail available for years, and then suddenly it turned to this crap....and I can't find a decent alternative. You're a pilot. What app do you prefer?

...This is sad. You did misspell Georgia. You spelled it Georgea. Maybe itn can recommend a good spell checker for you?
13-10-2018 00:47
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
So, is that a no on backing your original claim?
13-10-2018 00:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
So, is that a no on backing your original claim?

...You've shown it doesn't matter. Donald Trump became president. Any other opinion is meaningless.
13-10-2018 05:15
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:

https://www.livescience.com/63798-hurricane-michael-more-instense-than-katrina.html?utm_source=notification

well then, I guess we go back to the top. I'm not going to let you out of your ridiculous claim.

The story you linked contained another link to the holier-than-thou IPCC holy grail 5th landmark report.

I pounded two shots of Pepto-Bismol, and lined up three more in case I needed them... And then I opened the report.

Low and behold!!! Even the IPCC (Igorant People Creating Chaos?) diagrees with your statement!
Not that they have any credibility....

I would like to throw out some quotes from it, but for some reason at the bottom of every page, it says "do not cite, quote, or redistribute". Now why on Earth would that be? Don't want IPCC thugs beating down my door.

Anyway, refer to section 3 page 46 of the 5th landmark and then tell me if you still stand by your statement.
13-10-2018 10:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:

well then, I guess we go back to the top. I'm not going to let you out of your ridiculous claim.

The story you linked contained another link to the holier-than-thou IPCC holy grail 5th landmark report.

I pounded two shots of Pepto-Bismol, and lined up three more in case I needed them... And then I opened the report.

Low and behold!!! Even the IPCC (Igorant People Creating Chaos?) diagrees with your statement!
Not that they have any credibility....

I would like to throw out some quotes from it, but for some reason at the bottom of every page, it says "do not cite, quote, or redistribute". Now why on Earth would that be? Don't want IPCC thugs beating down my door.

Anyway, refer to section 3 page 46 of the 5th landmark and then tell me if you still stand by your statement.

...Once Trump became president everything became ridiculous. You did use his winning the presidency to show why you're credible.
...It is interesting though, Jesus said this 2,000 years ago, just quoting the man

Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
Edited on 13-10-2018 11:17
14-10-2018 06:51
(21582)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

Pilots today get their briefings today through 1800wxbrief.com or by phone (same number). Intellicast was somewhat dependent on DUATS information, which has been discontinued effective May of this year.

I use IFly, which can run as an Android app, but it requires a subscription to the charts (about $70/year). It is compatible with certain ADS-B in receivers which contain weather information that is displayed on the GPS image.

You might try Dark Sky, an app that is designed around local weather and is pretty accurate. If you don't mind spending $10, you can get NOAA Radar Pro, which displays weather radar on your phone.

The Parrot Killer

14-10-2018 06:52
(21582)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

...This is sad. You did misspell Georgia. You spelled it Georgea. Maybe itn can recommend a good spell checker for you?

Maybe you shouldn't waste time being a spelling cop.

The Parrot Killer

15-10-2018 01:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

...This is why we don't get along. When I defended you, you took offense with that. It's funny that someone thought someone else put you up to being a troll.
..Since Donald Trump iis POTUS we can now spell Georgia as Georgea. After all, why get the small details rright like Boltzmann believing that atmospheric gases having heat content?
15-10-2018 09:17
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

...This is why we don't get along.

Because you're a spelling cop??
James___ wrote:
When I defended you,

You didn't.
James___ wrote:
you took offense with that.

I am pointing that you were being a spelling cop.
James___ wrote:
It's funny that someone thought someone else put you up to being a troll. ...deleted random words...

A spelling cop IS a troll.

The Parrot Killer

15-10-2018 18:23
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

Pilots today get their briefings today through 1800wxbrief.com or by phone (same number). Intellicast was somewhat dependent on DUATS information, which has been discontinued effective May of this year.

I use IFly, which can run as an Android app, but it requires a subscription to the charts (about $70/year). It is compatible with certain ADS-B in receivers which contain weather information that is displayed on the GPS image.

You might try Dark Sky, an app that is designed around local weather and is pretty accurate. If you don't mind spending $10, you can get NOAA Radar Pro, which displays weather radar on your phone.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried Dark Sky and it was like so many others. I like a phone only big enough to go in the back pocket, so I want a full screen radar that has very small and very few option on it....or removable. I just want a full screen radar. Zoom with 2 fingers, loop and stop. That's it! Can you design that for me?

I will see what NOAA has to offer.
15-10-2018 18:29
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James wrote:...This is sad. You did misspell Georgia. You spelled it Georgea.

I know you're just being stupid here but it was kinda funny why I accidentally spelled it that way. I had just seen a video of this miserably horribly not funny comedian named Georgea Brooks. She's just terrible and it reminded me just a bit of you James!
15-10-2018 18:51
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried Dark Sky and it was like so many others. I like a phone only big enough to go in the back pocket, so I want a full screen radar that has very small and very few option on it....or removable. I just want a full screen radar. Zoom with 2 fingers, loop and stop. That's it! Can you design that for me?

I thought you guys did not trust NOAA

IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.

Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
15-10-2018 19:13
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

If NOAA cranked up the sensitivity on the radar, people would figure them out too quick.

It's funny you say that though....
On every Doppler site there is an option for "radar estimated storm total". I have never once found this to be accurate as it is always overshot compared to what I get in the actual rain gauge at home.

Why funny? Any time we get heavy rains, the NOAA is responsible for the forecasting of river flooding levels. They use their own wrong numbers for the predictions. Just this past weekend they were forecasting a crest of 19.4 ft for the Cedar River at Cedar Rapids Ia. Major flooding preparations took place costing thousands and thousands of dollars.

The actual crest came in at around 14 ft, just barely over flood stage. Not a dollars worth of damage would have been done if nothing was done. Not really funny. It's just stupid!

This was just the latest example. It happens with peculiar consistency.
Edited on 15-10-2018 19:14
15-10-2018 21:45
(21582)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

Heh. Not in the business of writing phone apps. I will forward your suggestion to those that do though!

Sounds like the NOAA pro radar app might be the ticket though.

The Parrot Killer

15-10-2018 21:46
(21582)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

NOAA isn't completely useless. They just can't measure a global temperature. No one can.
Weather radar is a useful service. So is the local weather forecasting service.

The Parrot Killer

15-10-2018 22:09
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

NOAA isn't completely useless. They just can't measure a global temperature. No one can.

Yes, the local weather forecasting services are excellent. I just don't understand how they can be so wrong on these River forecast. I get it, River forecasting is difficult, but this latest example I cited the entire basin received heavy rainfall on already saturated ground. Ground absorption was a factor of 0. Seems this forecast should have been a bit closer. I don't understand how they can miss by 5ft. The only guess I have is that they are using estimates that are over bloated.

Haven't had time to look at NOAA Pro but will do soon.
15-10-2018 22:49
(21582)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James.

Yes, the local weather forecasting services are excellent. I just don't understand how they can be so wrong on these River forecast. I get it, River forecasting is difficult, but this latest example I cited the entire basin received heavy rainfall on already saturated ground. Ground absorption was a factor of 0. Seems this forecast should have been a bit closer. I don't understand how they can miss by 5ft. The only guess I have is that they are using estimates that are over bloated.

Haven't had time to look at NOAA Pro but will do soon.

They are using assumptions that are incorrect.

They don't take into account the amount of soil that will soak up floodwater upstream. They don't take into account the condition of dikes along the river upstream. They don't take into account the silt and debris in the river at the time (which will dramatically change it's cresting level).

When it comes to river forecasting, they try to be conservative and err on the 'generous' side. Predicting a lower crest than what actually occurs invites lawsuits.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Hurricane Michael Is Officially More Powerful than Hurricane Katrina:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Deadline Pass Without Money, The United States USD Is Officially Gone Now !214-11-2023 16:29
Climate Change Hurricane Idalia1803-09-2023 13:58
Nitrate Reduction - Powerful Greenhouse Gas Emission AND Alkalinity10205-06-2023 13:19
Climate Change is Officially Science927-02-2023 17:18
Interesting news about Donald Trump (The Don officially to 80 million of us) anyway Trump is415-08-2022 04:08
Articles
Al Gore: Hurricane Katrina and Global Warming
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact