Remember me
▼ Content

How are O2 and N2 not greenhouse gases?

How are O2 and N2 not greenhouse gases?09-02-2019 16:05
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
They take heat from the ground by conduction and by conduction in the air and between ground and air they keep days cool and nights warm and reduce transfer of heat from ground into space.
09-02-2019 19:11
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
They take heat from the ground by conduction and by conduction in the air and between ground and air they keep days cool and nights warm and reduce transfer of heat from ground into space.

You are quite correct. But the term "greenhouse gases" has been co-opted by the environmental movement as a threat and so you can't use it anywhere without people shivering in fear.
09-02-2019 20:40
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

It's simpler than that. Air, water, and the ground all have mass. It takes time to heat or cool any mass. How long? Varies with what the mass is. This is known as the heat index of a substance. Water has the highest heat index of any of the common materials...the oceans. It takes a LOT more energy to heat water by one degree than it takes to heat, say, a piece of iron.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-02-2019 20:42
(21588)
Wake wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

You are quite correct. But the term "greenhouse gases" has been co-opted by the environmental movement as a threat and so you can't use it anywhere without people shivering in fear.

There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse gas', Wake. No gas or vapor can warm the Earth using IR emitted from the Earth.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-02-2019 19:57
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Something that might interest you. The specific heats of O2 and N2 are measurably higher than that of CO2 and hence those gases actually hold more heat and conduct more of it into the upper atmosphere to radiate out into space than CO2.

You need to study the energy balance charts very carefully. Those that show energy in watts/meter^2 are difficult to understand but if you look at one showing percentages they are more easily understood.

If you look at https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=91FCE8DBF9E9C817F7FF345DC2CAE1418BC69F4A&thid=OIP.O5PDtG8D2mGQ4jSxZxmwBAHaFW&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fgoodheartextremescience.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F09%2Fearths_energy_cycle.jpg&exph=557&expw=770&q=Earth%27s+Energy+Cycle&selectedindex=4&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

You can see that 30% of the energy that strikes the upper atmosphere is lost through reflection whereas 30% of that which is absorbed by the surface is lost via conduction and the remaining 40% though various forms of radiation.
10-02-2019 20:39
(21588)
Wake wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Something that might interest you. The specific heats of O2 and N2 are measurably higher than that of CO2 and hence those gases actually hold more heat and conduct more of it into the upper atmosphere to radiate out into space than CO2.

You can't slow or trap heat, Wake. Specific heat is not holding or trapping heat. Thermal conductivity has nothing to do with specific heat.
Wake wrote:
You need to study the energy balance charts very carefully.
Why? They are random numbers.
Wake wrote:
Those that show energy in watts/meter^2 are difficult to understand but if you look at one showing percentages they are more easily understood.
...deleted Holy Link...

There is no meaning to random numbers, Wake. ALL of the energy absorbed by Earth is radiated by Earth.
Wake wrote:
You can see that 30% of the energy that strikes the upper atmosphere is lost through reflection
Random number. You are making it up.
Wake wrote:
whereas 30% of that which is absorbed by the surface
Random number. You are making it up.
Wake wrote:
is lost via conduction
Earth does not heat space by conduction, Wake. ZERO is lost through conduction.
Wake wrote:
and the remaining 40% though various forms of radiation.

There is only one kind of radiance, Wake. It's called light. ALL of the thermal energy of Earth is lost by radiance, just as ALL of the thermal energy of Earth is gained by radiance, with the exception of a tiny amount that is gained by naturally occurring nuclear fission.

The Parrot Killer

10-02-2019 21:52
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Yet more science denial from Nightmare. What's next? The world is really flat?
11-02-2019 01:10
(21588)
Wake wrote:

It is YOU that denies science, Wake. You deny the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You also deny mathematics

No, Wake, the world is spherical. Even the Greeks from 500BC knew that. They figured it out through sheer philosophy, something apparently completely foreign to you.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 11-02-2019 01:12
11-02-2019 22:33
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

It is YOU that denies science, Wake. You deny the Stefan-Boltzmann law and the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You also deny mathematics

No, Wake, the world is spherical. Even the Greeks from 500BC knew that. They figured it out through sheer philosophy, something apparently completely foreign to you.

He doesn't have time for philosophy, nor logic, nor science, nor religion... He's too busy being angry. He needs to get his anger issues under control, as it has clouded many aspects of his life, including his "ability" to "train" dogs...
11-02-2019 23:52
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

He doesn't have time for philosophy, nor logic, nor science, nor religion... He's too busy being angry. He needs to get his anger issues under control, as it has clouded many aspects of his life, including his "ability" to "train" dogs...

Agreeing with yourself again? Sorry but Nightmare doesn't understand what the Stefan-Boltzmann equation means and he is pretty iffy on the 2nd law of thermodynamics. He likes to throw these terms around since their sound "sciency" to him.
11-02-2019 23:54
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Agreeing with yourself again? Sorry but Nightmare doesn't understand what the Stefan-Boltzmann equation means and he is pretty iffy on the 2nd law of thermodynamics. He likes to throw these terms around since their sound "sciency" to him.
12-02-2019 01:32
(21588)
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

It's what prevents from learning anything. I hope he hasn't beaten any dogs lately.

The Parrot Killer

12-02-2019 01:36
(21588)
Wake wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Agreeing with yourself again? Sorry but Nightmare doesn't understand

Paradox, Wake. You say we are the same, but then you address us as different people.
Wake wrote:
what the Stefan-Boltzmann equation means

radiance = SBconstant * emissivity constant * temperature ^ 4

What about this equation confuses you, Wake?
Wake wrote:
and he is pretty iffy on the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Entropy must increase or stay the same in any isolated system. What about that confuses you, Wake?
Wake wrote:
He likes to throw these terms around since their sound "sciency" to him.

They are 'sciency'. They are theories of science. YOU just deny them.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate How are O2 and N2 not greenhouse gases?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The "radiative Greenhouse effect" does not exist14015-04-2024 19:43
'Greenhouse' Effect?4930-11-2023 06:45
The SCIENCE of the "Greenhouse Effect"29105-11-2023 22:46
Nitrate Reduction - Powerful Greenhouse Gas Emission AND Alkalinity10205-06-2023 13:19
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact