Remember me
▼ Content

heat retention capability of CO2 versus O2 and N2?

heat retention capability of CO2 versus O2 and N2?10-09-2016 00:53
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
James Hansen says the atmosphere retains some of the heat coming off the ground, making Earth warmer than it otherwise would be.

We know, for instance, places near ocean is much warmer than places far from ocean. This is because water retains heat much better than ground does. This is because water molecules move faster than ground molecules and so there is more conduction in water compared to in ground. Likewise, air retains heat better than water does because air molecules move faster than water molecules and so there is more conduction in air compared to in water.

CO2 retains by both radiation and conduction. O2 and N2 retain by conduction only. However, O2 has a higher specific heat than CO2 does.

So I was wondering which is more effective at heat retention? CO2 or O2 / N2? In other words, if the atmosphere were entirely CO2 or entirely O2 / N2, which atmosphere would be more efficient at heat retention?
Edited on 10-09-2016 01:12
10-09-2016 01:54
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
No substance retains thermal emission. Thermal emission pours freely out of all substances. The power of that output is dependent only on temperature. Re: Stefan-Boltzmann

Thermal energy in a substance is exactly like water in a spaghetti strainer. The more you increase the flow of energy becoming thermal energy going in the mre you increase the thermal emission going out.

If you turn off the flow going in then it will all emit out because it can't be retained or trapped or contained or held.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-09-2016 02:15
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
IBdaMann wrote:
No substance retains thermal emission. Thermal emission pours freely out of all substances. The power of that output is dependent only on temperature. Re: Stefan-Boltzmann

Thermal energy in a substance is exactly like water in a spaghetti strainer. The more you increase the flow of energy becoming thermal energy going in the mre you increase the thermal emission going out.

If you turn off the flow going in then it will all emit out because it can't be retained or trapped or contained or held.

Then how do you explain Norway being 30 C warmer than Greenland which is the same latitude? It's because of ocean. Ocean retains heat much better than land.
Edited on 10-09-2016 02:15
11-09-2016 17:18
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:Then how do you explain Norway being 30 C warmer than Greenland which is the same latitude? It's because of ocean. Ocean retains heat much better than land.

1. Greenland, at the same latitude, and at the same altitude, is not 30degC colder than Norway except in cases of extremely differing weather.

Prins Christian Sund, Greenland
Elev 74 m 60.06 °N, 43.17 °W
Today. High 9 | Low 4 °C
0% Chance of Precip

Evanger, Norway
Elev 0 m 60.52 °N, 6.08 °E
Today High 15 | Low 7 °C
40% Chance of Precip.

2. I performed a test. I took some sea water and I substantially increased its temperature.

What I observed is that the high-temperature sea water cooled. It didn't retain its thermal energy.

I'm sorry. I don't know where you got the idea that sea water somehow differs from all other substances and that it doesn't thermally emit per its own temperature.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-09-2016 00:26
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
You joshing us, dude?

You took a gallon of water. You can't drown in that, right? Your experiment was either woefully inadequate, or you should have used mathematics, or you can just drown yourself, because of course you can't! A few gallons of water make up the oceans.

Are you seriously saying that all substances release heat at the same rate? Ever boiled a pot of water? You actually think that all materials would traverse that temperature range in the same amount of time?
Edited on 14-09-2016 00:28
14-09-2016 01:54
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
jwoodward48 wrote:
You joshing us, dude?

You took a gallon of water. You can't drown in that, right? Your experiment was either woefully inadequate, or you should have used mathematics, or you can just drown yourself, because of course you can't! A few gallons of water make up the oceans.

Are you seriously saying that all substances release heat at the same rate? Ever boiled a pot of water? You actually think that all materials would traverse that temperature range in the same amount of time?

Are you seriously suggesting that either Greenland or Norway are not next to the sea?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate heat retention capability of CO2 versus O2 and N2?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Some can take the heat, and214-10-2023 13:26
Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?4902-02-2023 01:23
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact