gravity and temperature

Page 3 of 6<12345>>>
14-11-2021 19:08
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Have you ever been outdoors on a day without any wind? Was there nonetheless gravity?

There is never zero wind outdoors. Particles are never absolutely still.

Perhaps you can explain the meaning of 'calm' used by the National Weather Service in their reports then.

Calm doesn't mean zero wind.

14-11-2021 19:10
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

"Perpetual Motion" is the more convenient term for the concept of entropy not increasing while work is being performed.

Thanks for clarifying.

I was talking about a wheel that could spin using magnetic force. Free energy could probably be used as a marketing slogan for a wheel propelled like this, because you don't have to perpetually fill it up with gas.

You don't have to fill a vacuum up with gas either.

I'm not sure what kind of vacuum you are talking about.

My vacuum at home runs on electricity. And that electricity is supplied by mostly natural gas and coal.

14-11-2021 19:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:You don't have to fill a vacuum up with gas either.

Spongy Iris loves his word games. I detected as much on the Spongy Iris Scan.

Attached image:

14-11-2021 19:48
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Windmills get energy from gravity, because gravity causes wind. Uneven heating may offer some explanation for wind, but not all.

Wind is not caused by gravity.

ALL of it is caused by uneven heating of the Earth.

The wind blowing up (thermals), which offers paragliders "free flight," is probably the best example of uneven heating causing air particles to move from hot to cold.

But the prevailing wind pattern basically moves from west to east in most of the world, except the tropical latitudes, where it moves east to west.

There is not going to be much temperature variation moving eastward or westward, especially if it's over a long stretch of ocean or flat land.

That should cause you uncertainty as to whether ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.

Florida, during the summer (rainy season), we get water heavy wind blowing in from both the west and the east. They call it sea-breeze. When the two wind masses meet, causes impressive thunderstorms, torrential rain, occasionally a tornado or two. This happens pretty much everyday, not always causing severe weather, but usually some rain. Doesn't last long, hour or so.

Wind, like most anything else follows a path of least resistance. Wind speed and direction, is independent of what created it in the first place.
14-11-2021 19:51
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:There is never zero wind outdoors. Particles are never absolutely still.
So it is your position that gravity therefore causes particle movement?
Yes

Then perhaps you can explain why a mercury thermometer will have varying readings when the gravity never changes.

I'm all ears.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-11-2021 20:00
(1643)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Windmills get energy from gravity, because gravity causes wind. Uneven heating may offer some explanation for wind, but not all.

The wind blowing up (thermals), which offers paragliders "free flight," is probably the best example of uneven heating causing air particles to move from hot to cold.

But the prevailing wind pattern basically moves from west to east in most of the world, except the tropical latitudes, where it moves east to west.

There is not going to be much temperature variation moving eastward or westward, especially if it's over a long stretch of ocean or flat land.

That should cause you uncertainty as to whether ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.

Florida, during the summer (rainy season), we get water heavy wind blowing in from both the west and the east. They call it sea-breeze. When the two wind masses meet, causes impressive thunderstorms, torrential rain, occasionally a tornado or two. This happens pretty much everyday, not always causing severe weather, but usually some rain. Doesn't last long, hour or so.

Wind, like most anything else follows a path of least resistance. Wind speed and direction, is independent of what created it in the first place.

Although winds can blow in every direction, I was talking about the directions which usually prevail all around the world.

14-11-2021 20:06
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:There is never zero wind outdoors. Particles are never absolutely still.
Yes

Then perhaps you can explain why a mercury thermometer will have varying readings when the gravity never changes.

I'm all ears.

I don't see what your question has to do with anything I said.

The mercury detects barometric/atmospheric pressure not gravity.

14-11-2021 20:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Although winds can blow in every direction, I was talking about the directions which usually prevail all around the world.

Why the wind blows might actually have a complicated reason. There are 2 basic things that can influence the wind blowing outside of the Norwegian Jet Stream. These guys have named it in honor of Moi. That's pretty cool.

The Moon changes sea levels and since atmospheric gasses are not as dense as water, even more so. Also as the Earth rotates the height of the tropopause changes. It's elevation can change by up to 8 miles. They really don't like making known the height during the day or night and during what season.
14-11-2021 20:21
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Same deal, they follow the path of least resistance. The path doesn't change a whole lot...
14-11-2021 20:24
(1643)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Same deal, they follow the path of least resistance. The path doesn't change a whole lot...

They don't just follow. They are also pushed.

14-11-2021 20:28
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

I'm all ears.

Just thought I'd share a pic my son took this past Halloween from a look out inside the world's largest corn maze in Dixon, CA.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEitFSWrSPUFzTZCkFovesBORNC4itCQzZnkiOMoiaLO95hgQDnJwAMlxOgY0BQqRi3WCZPjuiXmJrEo3y0iEQZq3DCzjfcbX8nXZblkotygB1xp2ToupHBT7h8Q47omt0mdXxMisjoOeL5f2gOI-VWAoklzBubnlh08C8jEl2u0k3teZYobETW1BkyDvg=s2048

P.S. the IMG button isn't working for me anymore to embed these as pics in the thread. So I use the URL button.

Edited on 14-11-2021 20:31
14-11-2021 20:44
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Yes
Then perhaps you can explain why a mercury thermometer will have varying readings when the gravity never changes. I'm all ears.

... because you don't have a clue about the subject matter. Of course I mean that in only the nicest sense.

A mercury thermometer's readings are based on the particle movement of the mercury. You specified that the particle movement is due to gravity and not due to thermal energy.

Ergo, when gravity does not change, a thermometer's reading should not change, correct? This is known as applying the scientific method to your argument.

Guess what?

Your argument has been falsified.

We're back to thermal energy, which is a form of energy, alters the particle movement of mercury, whereas gravity, which is not a form of energy, does not do so.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-11-2021 20:58
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Yes
Then perhaps you can explain why a mercury thermometer will have varying readings when the gravity never changes. I'm all ears.

... because you don't have a clue about the subject matter. Of course I mean that in only the nicest sense.

A mercury thermometer's readings are based on the particle movement of the mercury. You specified that the particle movement is due to gravity and not due to thermal energy.

Ergo, when gravity does not change, a thermometer's reading should not change, correct? This is known as applying the scientific method to your argument.

Guess what?

We're back to thermal energy, which is a form of energy, alters the particle movement of mercury, whereas gravity, which is not a form of energy, does not do so.

You have made a false equivalence argument. Mercury is not the same as air particles in the atmosphere. Mercury is very heavy, weighing 13.6 times the amount of an equal volume of water.

14-11-2021 21:16
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:You have made a false equivalence argument.

Incorrect. I applied the scientific method and it blew your argument out of the water. You should have thought your argument through a little better.

Spongy Iris wrote:Mercury is not the same as air particles in the atmosphere.

I regret to inform you that the electrons, protons and elementary particles in mercury are the same as the electrons, protons and elementary particles in the atmosphere.

Tough luck.

Gravity does not alter particle movement. Mercury thermometers obliterate your argument. Sorry.

14-11-2021 22:41
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]
Gravity does not alter particle movement. Mercury thermometers obliterate your argument. Sorry.

Really? I thought it was forcing heavy particles like Mercury to fall down to Earth. You wouldn't argue with that would you?

Lighter particles that don't fall completely down to Earth such as Nitrogen and Oxygen, get forced east or west by it.

14-11-2021 23:12
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:Really? I thought it was forcing heavy particles like Mercury to fall down to Earth.

Yes. Gravity, a force, accelerates mass.

So you were going to explain how gravity, which we have established accelerates mass, causes the particles in a mercury thermometer to have one reading one moment and then a different reading the next moment when gravity has not changed.

You do remember that I am all ears for that, right?

This is proving to be all the fun I had anticipated.

14-11-2021 23:48
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Really? I thought it was forcing heavy particles like Mercury to fall down to Earth.

Yes. Gravity, a force, accelerates mass.

So you were going to explain how gravity, which we have established accelerates mass, causes the particles in a mercury thermometer to have one reading one moment and then a different reading the next moment when gravity has not changed.

You do remember that I am all ears for that, right?

This is proving to be all the fun I had anticipated.

Dear Child of the Corn,

I have said gravity has an effect of pushing air particles east (or west in the tropics).

The movement of air particles is called wind.

Wind can bring dry or wet weather, and each will have different barometric pressures.

Edited on 14-11-2021 23:49
15-11-2021 00:44
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ibd,
As you say, gravity accelerates mass. Now think about this - if there is no such thing as gravitational energy, where do hydrogen atoms in the sun get enough energy to break through the atoms positive em field to be able to fuse into helium? Clue: don't forget about quantum tunneling.
Edited on 15-11-2021 01:29
15-11-2021 01:19
(14389)
keepit wrote:if there is no such thing as gravitational energy, where do hydrogen atoms in the sun get enough energy break through the atoms positive em field to be able to fuse into helium?

keepit, I cannot parse your gibberish.

Instead of asking an incomprehensible question, make a declarative statement.

15-11-2021 01:25
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:I shared below 4 minute clip earlier. Did you miss it?
https://youtu.be/H5xKS4lTzGY

This is a six-and-a-half-minute video of a Cessna.
15-11-2021 01:28
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
It's a test of your capability of refuting gravitational energy. I doubt if you can do it other than maybe making a semantic argument.
Name calling won't work. Neither will false accusations.
Edited on 15-11-2021 01:31
15-11-2021 01:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

It's actually a 24 and a 1/2 minute video of a 16 year old girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wCMD29zUI
15-11-2021 01:35
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:That should cause you uncertainty as to whether ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.

First, let's address your position that NO wind is caused by "uneven heating" or anything to do with thermal energy...

Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:So it is your position that gravity therefore causes particle movement, not thermal energy?
Yes

I'm still waiting for your explanation of mercury thermometers.

15-11-2021 01:36
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

Oops wrong link. Here you go.

https://youtu.be/zqG-TL0WnjE

15-11-2021 01:41
(14389)
keepit wrote:It's a test of your capability of refuting gravitational energy. I doubt if you can do it other than maybe making a semantic argument.
Name calling won't work. Neither will false accusations.

... so make your affirmative argument for gravity having energy.

How is it that you made an entire post and somehow forgot what you were supposed to write in it?

keepit wrote:Name calling won't work.

If it will help, when I point out that you are a moron, realize that it is merely an observation intended for your edification, that's all. You could even thank me if you're feeling appreciative.

15-11-2021 02:31
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ibd,
Google "stellar nucleosynthesis" and you'll understand gravitational energy better.
15-11-2021 03:00
(14389)
keepit wrote:ibd,Google "stellar nucleosynthesis" and you'll understand gravitational energy better.

What I have been saying all this time is that you have no affirmative argument ... and that you are a moron.

Reread your posts and you'll see that both statements are true.

Oh, that's right, you can't read. You are only able to waste bandwidth.

Oh well.

15-11-2021 03:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

What I have been saying all this time is that you have no affirmative argument ... and that you are a moron.

Oh well.

That explains everything. I'm not sure what, butt am sure Harvey and GasGuzzler will say........
15-11-2021 04:07
(14389)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Oh well.
That explains everything. I'm not sure what, butt am sure Harvey and GasGuzzler will say........

They will agree with me wholeheartedly that bacon-wrapped drumsticks in honey-bourbon BBQ sauce is mighty fine eating.

Maybe Into the Night has some suggestions on how to work in basil and rosemary.

James__, I'm trying to find a way to always have the same number of bacon-wrapped drumsticks in honey-bourbon BBQ sauce no matter how many I eat. Currently, my project doesn't rotate more than 90 degrees but if my project works out, I'll be known and I'll be able to go to Norway and have a life.

I'm thinking that I can have some scientists do the heavy lifting on the research and then I will tell them how to make it work and many a pig's and chicken's life work will be realized. The laws of culinary preparation will have to be rewritten.

Wish me luck.

15-11-2021 07:07
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes

Gravity is not thermal energy.

It is a force, no? A force can move particles.

A force is not energy.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-11-2021 07:13
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

The wind blowing up (thermals),

The wind does not cause thermals. Thermals are not wind.
Spongy Iris wrote:
which offers paragliders "free flight,"

They are flying due to falling. All flight is based on falling...with style...quite literally.
Spongy Iris wrote:
is probably the best example of uneven heating causing air particles to move from hot to cold.

Convection is one form of heating. It can occur in any liquid.
Spongy Iris wrote:

Due to uneven heating. The Sun sets in the West, you see.
Spongy Iris wrote:

Yes there is. The Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you see.
Spongy Iris wrote:

ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-11-2021 07:14
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

The wind blowing up (thermals),

The wind does not cause thermals. Thermals are not wind.
Spongy Iris wrote:
which offers paragliders "free flight,"

They are flying due to falling. All flight is based on falling...with style...quite literally.
Spongy Iris wrote:
is probably the best example of uneven heating causing air particles to move from hot to cold.

Convection is one form of heating. It can occur in any liquid.
Spongy Iris wrote:

Due to uneven heating. The Sun sets in the West, you see.
Spongy Iris wrote:

Yes there is. The Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you see.
Spongy Iris wrote:

ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.
All thermals are caused by uneven heating as well.

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:16
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Have you ever been outdoors on a day without any wind? Was there nonetheless gravity?

There is never zero wind outdoors. Particles are never absolutely still.

Perhaps you can explain the meaning of 'calm' used by the National Weather Service in their reports then.

Calm doesn't mean zero wind.

Is gravity any less on a calm day? No.

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:16
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

"Perpetual Motion" is the more convenient term for the concept of entropy not increasing while work is being performed.

Thanks for clarifying.

I was talking about a wheel that could spin using magnetic force. Free energy could probably be used as a marketing slogan for a wheel propelled like this, because you don't have to perpetually fill it up with gas.

My vacuum at home runs on electricity. And that electricity is supplied by mostly natural gas and coal.

Semantics fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:17
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Semantics fallacy. Contextomy fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:18
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Still can't figure out that the Sun sets in the west, can ya?

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:19
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Yes

I'm all ears.

The mercury detects barometric/atmospheric pressure not gravity.

Then why is a mercury thermometer called a 'thermometer'? Why is it marked out in degrees?

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:20
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Why the wind blows might actually have a complicated reason. There are 2 basic things that can influence the wind blowing outside of the Norwegian Jet Stream. These guys have named it in honor of Moi. That's pretty cool.

The Moon changes sea levels and since atmospheric gasses are not as dense as water, even more so. Also as the Earth rotates the height of the tropopause changes. It's elevation can change by up to 8 miles. They really don't like making known the height during the day or night and during what season.

The Moon does not change the global sea level.

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:22
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Yes

Guess what?

You have made a false equivalence argument. Mercury is not the same as air particles in the atmosphere. Mercury is very heavy, weighing 13.6 times the amount of an equal volume of water.

He hasn't made an equivalence at all. Fallacy fallacy.

You say mercury is very heavy. How does a mercury thermometer work?

The Parrot Killer

15-11-2021 07:24
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]

Really? I thought it was forcing heavy particles like Mercury to fall down to Earth. You wouldn't argue with that would you?

Lighter particles that don't fall completely down to Earth such as Nitrogen and Oxygen, get forced east or west by it.

So why does mercury rise against the pull of gravity in a mercury thermometer?

The Parrot Killer

Page 3 of 6<12345>>>

Join the debate gravity and temperature:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Gravity1030-03-2024 02:38
Gravity Has Energy Debate3303-02-2024 17:02
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact