Remember me
▼ Content

gravity and temperature

Page 5 of 6<<<3456>
17-11-2021 05:57
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14407)
keepit wrote:I think the coriolis force has an effect on wind. It isn't a real force though.

,,, but centrifugal force is real for you, and that's all that matters. Don't feel obligated to tax your mind with defining what specific "effect" you believe centrifugal force might have on wind because that would only be counterproductive.

Enjoy!

17-11-2021 19:04
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
James___ wrote:
@spongy iris, at besslerwheel.com, a perpetual motion forum they say this is why it's impossible.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1LeYYidRXlk

Conservation of energy is not perpetual motion.
Yet in that forum, enough of its members will say prove it to me.
Basically they want credit for what someone does if someone understands the first law of thermodynamics. Energy can be converted and if gravity has no energy then it cannot have force.

Gravity is a force. Gravity is not energy.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-11-2021 19:05
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:There is never zero wind outdoors. Particles are never absolutely still.

So it is your position that gravity therefore causes particle movement?

Yes

Gravity is not thermal energy.

It is a force, no? A force can move particles.

A force is not energy.

You can harvest energy using a force.

You don't harvest energy. Energy doesn't grow.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-11-2021 19:07
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Wind is not caused by gravity.

ALL of it is caused by uneven heating of the Earth.

Thermals are not wind.

They are flying due to falling. All flight is based on falling...with style...quite literally.

Due to uneven heating. The Sun sets in the West, you see.

Yes there is. The Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, you see.

ALL wind is caused by uneven heating.

You often seem to express your opinion as if it's a fact. I try to avoid doing that.

Because you deny science. You deny the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Anyway...

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west at the equator, and at 38 degrees north. Why then do winds prevail in moving eastward at 38 degrees north, and moving westward at the equator?

Look up Hadley cell.
RQAA.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:08
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[

Is gravity any less on a calm day? No.

I didn't say gravity was the ONLY cause of winds' movement. I said it was A cause.

Nope. Gravity is not less on a calm day.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:09
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

So why does mercury rise against the pull of gravity in a mercury thermometer?

It expands. But it still can't float like air.

It expands up the tube. The hotter it is, the higher in the tube. Gravity does not warm anything.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:10
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Gravity does not operate sideways.

Wind movements suggest it prevails in pushing air east in most of the world, and west in the tropics.

Gravity does not operate sideways nor cause the wind.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:12
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Oops wrong link. Here you go.
https://youtu.be/zqG-TL0WnjE

Your error is a rather silly one. The work, i.e. source of energy, to rotate the wheel is being provided by a human who alternates between extending the magnet forward and retracting it back. He could have instead just flicked the wheel with his fingers and rotated it that way.

Did you watch the whole video? They built a stick to wack it upward with each spin to accomplish that task.

You fell for a magick trick. The video didn't show him starting the wheel, and it didn't run long enough to show the wheel was slowing significantly (but it was slowing).

Perpetual motion is not possible. You cannot create energy out of nothing.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:14
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Oops wrong link. Here you go.
https://youtu.be/zqG-TL0WnjE

Your error is a rather silly one. The work, i.e. source of energy, to rotate the wheel is being provided by a human who alternates between extending the magnet forward and retracting it back. He could have instead just flicked the wheel with his fingers and rotated it that way.

The latter part of the video automates moving the stator magnet in this way. It does NOT show giving the wheel a spin to get it started, or show the wheel long enough where the slowdown is obvious.

In other words, the usual parlor trick with 'perpetual motion machines'. Like any magicians trick, it's all about redirection and lying with a straight face.

This magician, however, doesn't tell you he's lying. It's magick.

It looked like to start the spinning, they pulled a lever to drop the magnetic bar.

It looks like it is spinning steady for a good amount of time. I'm not sure what would slow it down unless the magnets stopped working...

Friction.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:15
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:First, let's address your position that NO wind is caused by "uneven heating"
I never said that.

It is exactly what you are saying when you claim that it is not thermal energy that causes particle motion.

I never accused you of knowing what you were saying, although you keep omitting that phrase "not thermal energy" when you quote my text.

It appears to be not just uneven heating that causes wind, but also gravity.

Gravity does not heat anything. Gravity is not energy.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:17
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:You can harvest energy using a force.

This is gibberish. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume you just tipped your king.

Dude look up how windmills create electricity if you want to understand all the steps in an example of how energy is harvested from a force called wind.

Energy isn't harvested. Energy doesn't grow.

A windmill is a solar powered device.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:18
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:You often seem to express your opinion as if it's a fact. I try to avoid doing that. Anyway...

You do it every time you fail to support your arguments.

For example, you expressed your mistaken opinion as fact that gravity, a mere force, and not thermal energy, which is energy, accomplishes the work, which requires energy, of causing wind.

Why can't there be more than 1 cause of wind?

Why do you want more than one cause of wind?

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:19
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Dude look up how windmills create electricity if you want to understand all the steps in an example of how energy is harvested from a force called wind.

Dude, make an affirmative argument that doesn't violate physics and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.

Windmills don't violate physics.

Windmills are solar powered devices.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:19
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:It appears to be not just uneven heating that causes wind, but also gravity.

No, it does not appear that way. Why do you make the claim?

Why does wind move west in the tropics and east in the rest of the world?

RQAA

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:20
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Friction.

Maybe keep the wheel well lubed.

No bearing is perfect. There is always friction.
The other part of the magick trick you missed, of course, is that there is no load applied to the wheel.

The Parrot Killer

17-11-2021 19:21
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:It appears to be not just uneven heating that causes wind, but also gravity.

No, it does not appear that way. Why do you make the claim?

Why does wind prevail in moving west in the tropics and east in the rest of the world?

This is a question and is not any sort of affirmative argument.

I thought you might understand the Socratic method.

There is no 'Socratic Method' here. Your question is not rhetorical.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 17-11-2021 19:22
17-11-2021 19:59
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:You often seem to express your opinion as if it's a fact. I try to avoid doing that. Anyway...

For example, you expressed your mistaken opinion as fact that gravity, a mere force, and not thermal energy, which is energy, accomplishes the work, which requires energy, of causing wind.

There are 2 basic causes of wind. One is the warming of the atmosphere as it is exposed to solar radiation. Another would be when the atmosphere is cooling in the evening, moving away from the Sun. Then there's the Moon's gravitational effect on decreasing the relative mass of the atmosphere creating both low and high tides just as it does with the oceans. After that, topography would influence how the wind blows.
As for why are there easterly winds that blow into the Caribbean? It might be that the jet stream that flows across the US and then the same jet stream in the southern hemisphere cause air from Africa to blow towards the west. This is because both jet streams might create a slight atmospheric depression after they cross mountain ranges in Brazil (the Andes) and the US (the Rocky Mountains).
And it can get more complicated if you consider warm ocean currents in the Atlantic Ocean.
I think with where I am at on my project, I think I'll take it easy while I finish it. I do have a simpler design that I am working on the design drawings for. And if everything works out for me, and I mean with my experiment, it will be interesting.

Edited on 17-11-2021 20:05
17-11-2021 22:12
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

There are 2 basic causes of wind. One is the warming of the atmosphere as it is exposed to solar radiation. Another would be when the atmosphere is cooling in the evening, moving away from the Sun.

That is the same cause. Uneven heating.
James___ wrote:
Then there's the Moon's gravitational effect on decreasing the relative mass of the atmosphere creating both low and high tides just as it does with the oceans. After that, topography would influence how the wind blows.

Tides do not cause currents except in narrow passages, which cause a delay in tides. There is no narrow passage for the atmosphere.

In the open ocean, there is no rapid flow of water anywhere due to tides.
James___ wrote:
As for why are there easterly winds that blow into the Caribbean? It might be that the jet stream that flows across the US and then the same jet stream in the southern hemisphere cause air from Africa to blow towards the west. This is because both jet streams might create a slight atmospheric depression after they cross mountain ranges in Brazil (the Andes) and the US (the Rocky Mountains).
And it can get more complicated if you consider warm ocean currents in the Atlantic Ocean.
I think with where I am at on my project, I think I'll take it easy while I finish it. I do have a simpler design that I am working on the design drawings for. And if everything works out for me, and I mean with my experiment, it will be interesting.

What about winds that blow against the jet stream?

The Parrot Killer

18-11-2021 00:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

There are 2 basic causes of wind. One is the warming of the atmosphere as it is exposed to solar radiation. Another would be when the atmosphere is cooling in the evening, moving away from the Sun.

The atmosphere warming in the morning and cooling in the evening is directional. Hot flows to cold, ie., west to east just as the jet streams and the coreolis effect is in the same direction.
And as we know, atmospheric gasses move at about the same velocity that the Earth rotates at near ground level. At altitude of 500 m, it can be over 10 m/s. That can also affect winds at ground level if the air pressure in the upper atmosphere changes. You know, like the Moon affecting the Earth's gravity.
And now we can consider if the warming in the morning and cooling in the evening "push" the air at 500 m altitude. Would need to consider wind speeds at night at that altitude. It's possible that air circulation at 500 m altitude is consistent but someone would have to do a search for that.
18-11-2021 04:08
(14407)
James___ wrote:The atmosphere warming in the morning and cooling in the evening is directional. Hot flows to cold, ie., west to east just as the jet streams and the coreolis effect is in the same direction.

Incorrect. Yes, the "warming" and "cooling" is directional in the sense that heat is the flow of thermal energy from the warmer body of matter to the cooler, but that means from the sun to the earth, i.e. downward through the atmosphere, not east to west or whatever. The cooling is simply the earth's thermal radiation into space so there are infinite directions for that, all away from the earth.

James___ wrote: And now we can consider if the warming in the morning and cooling in the evening "push" the air at 500 m altitude.

Let me consider it for a moment.

Done.

Nope, neither heat (measured in power) nor thermal radiation (measured in power) is a force that accelerates mass.

That was easy-peezy-lemon-squeezy! Any more?

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.
18-11-2021 08:09
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

The atmosphere warming in the morning and cooling in the evening is directional.

Nope. Temperature has no direction.
James___ wrote:
Hot flows to cold, ie., west to east just as the jet streams and the coreolis effect is in the same direction.

What if it's hotter to the east and colder in the west? That's pretty common here in Washington.
James___ wrote:
And as we know, atmospheric gasses move at about the same velocity that the Earth rotates at near ground level.

Nah. Winds have hit 70mph here. A typical day has winds around 5-20mph. They can come from any direction.
James___ wrote:
At altitude of 500 m, it can be over 10 m/s.

Yes it can. Just like on the ground. There can also be no wind at all at 500m ASL, since no wind is possible, such as at Denver airport.
James___ wrote:
That can also affect winds at ground level if the air pressure in the upper atmosphere changes. You know, like the Moon affecting the Earth's gravity.

The Moon does not change air pressure.
James___ wrote:
And now we can consider if the warming in the morning and cooling in the evening "push" the air at 500 m altitude. Would need to consider wind speeds at night at that altitude. It's possible that air circulation at 500 m altitude is consistent but someone would have to do a search for that.

It is very inconsistent. No research is necessary. Any normal weather report describes winds at this altitude (assuming a wind at 500m ASL is possible).

The Parrot Killer

18-11-2021 17:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Does it bother you (plural) that spongy iris might be right? If you (plural) consider that it stays warm after sunset until the early morning hours, is that because the warming and expanding atmospheric gasses pushing warm air into the night? p.s., that's a double entendre as it is also a pun. ITN is filled with a lot of hot air.

And as a result the wind comes from changes in the atmospheric pressure at altitude which allows for weather systems?
Edited on 18-11-2021 18:24
18-11-2021 18:45
(14407)
James___ wrote:Does it bother you (plural) that spongy iris might be right?

Let me rephrase your statement: "Does FALSE bother you (plural)?"

James___ wrote:If you (plural) consider that it stays warm after sunset

Totally irrelevant

James___ wrote:is that because the warming and expanding atmospheric gasses pushing warm air into the [future]?

The passage of time does that.

James___ wrote: And as a result the wind comes from changes in the atmospheric pressure at altitude which allows for weather systems?

It's simply the atmosphere that "allows for" weather systems.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
18-11-2021 18:47
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Does it bother you (plural) that spongy iris might be right? If you (plural) consider that it stays warm after sunset until the early morning hours, is that because the warming and expanding atmospheric gasses pushing warm air into the night? p.s., that's a double entendre as it is also a pun. ITN is filled with a lot of hot air.

And as a result the wind comes from changes in the atmospheric pressure at altitude which allows for weather systems?

Changes in pressure occur at the surface too. Apparently you never looked a barometer.

The Parrot Killer

18-11-2021 21:36
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Changes in pressure occur at the surface too. Apparently you never looked a barometer.

When you asked about the weather pattern that brings the spring rain to Ethiopia then across both northern Africa and the Atlantic Ocean, I said it was because of a low pressure system caused by the tropical jet stream moving over the Rocky Mountains.
I mean granted, the temperature variances of the Atlantic Ocean help but have to ask, did you miss that post?
18-11-2021 22:23
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Now everybody knows that the hurricanes in Florida start over Ethiopia, right? This is because you have dry air blowing down the Atlas Mountains from Turkey and mixing with warm, moist air coming up through the Red Sea.
And yet the winds blow across the hot Sahara Desert. This is probably because as you see in the attached image, the currents recirculating from the Gulf Stream going north have a cooler recirculation gyre the closer to North Africa (the country) they go.
Then when you have the warmest water coming from off the coast of the African continent to Colombia and then up to Florida, then the weather patterns that start in Ethiopia can become hurricanes the closer to the Gulf Stream they get. This is because the surface temperature of the ocean needs to be above 85º F. in order for a tropical depression to become a hurricane.
And with hurricanes just as with tornadoes, the barometer will drop because such weather phenomena are a low pressure system.
And ITN, hopefully this answers any questions that you and Harvey might have as to why Florida has hurricanes and Seattle doesn't.
18-11-2021 23:51
(14407)
James___ wrote:Now everybody knows that the hurricanes in Florida start over Ethiopia, right?

It's what we know.

The hurricanes come charging across the Atlantic looking for food.

James___ wrote:This is because you have dry air blowing down the Atlas Mountains from Turkey and mixing with warm, moist air coming up through the Red Sea.

Why can't those dry airs just keep to themselves?

James___ wrote: And yet the winds blow across the hot Sahara Desert.

Of course nobody wants to just stay in one place because the sand is hot, hot, hot.

James___ wrote: This is probably because as you see in the attached image, the currents recirculating from the Gulf Stream going north have a cooler recirculation gyre the closer to North Africa (the country) they go.

Wouldn't they have to have been circulating previously in order to be recirculating?

By the way, anything with the word "gyre" in it is booooooolsch't.

The following is a boooooooolsch't detector test. Can you identify all the boooooooooooolsch't in the following lesson on gyres? Some has already been identified for you to get you started.

The Gulf Stream extension and its recirculation to the south is a region whose dynamics are of great interest. Here in the north-west corner of the subtropical gyre the Sverdrup constraint on the integrated mass transport no longer holds: the circulation is 'overspun' with inertial effects exerting a controlling influence. The presence of the intense eastward flowing Gulf Stream extension, on the northern rim of the gyre, see Fig. 1, is an indication of the inertial nature of the flow. Warm fluid emanating from the western boundary current flows eastwards in this jet and, in winter, yields up much heat to the atmosphere. The consequent convection weakens the stratification and so can act as a vertically distributed source of low potential vorticity on the northern rim of the gyre. The direct driving by the wind must also be an important vorticity sink; as noted by Behringer et al. (1979) the eastward wind-stress is particularly intense over the warm core of the Gulf Stream in winter and its curl is high and anticyclonic. Thus the recirculation occurs where fluid circulating in the gyre is very likely to have its potential vorticity reduced by both thermodynamic and mechanical surface processes.

For the full boooooooolsch't effect you have to GO HERE.
19-11-2021 00:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

For the full boooooooolsch't effect you have to GO HERE.

You must be Russian if you don't like Borscht.
19-11-2021 01:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Hurricanes are natures 'gravity wheels"? I don't think your Bill Nye weather lesson comes close. Not all tropical storms travel from Africa...
19-11-2021 02:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Hurricanes are natures 'gravity wheels"? I don't think your Bill Nye weather lesson comes close. Not all tropical storms travel from Africa...

For you, they do. During the summer, every weather system that visits Florida is from Ethiopia. How do you not know this? Hopefully you won't say "I'm white".
19-11-2021 02:19
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:

And not all jet streams are Norwegian...
19-11-2021 02:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

And not all jet streams are Norwegian...

And the Christian says "we are white". As a disabled veteran I can't be an "American". Thank you gfm. I just didn't know that some of you were so openly racist.
19-11-2021 03:25
(14407)
James___ wrote:Thank you gfm. I just didn't know that some of you were so openly eracist.

19-11-2021 04:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:Thank you gfm. I just didn't know that some of you were so openly eracist.

And it's times like these IBDM that I call you "son".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7L5EboI7A
19-11-2021 04:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtffv9bpB-U
19-11-2021 08:56
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

For you, they do. During the summer, every weather system that visits Florida is from Ethiopia. How do you not know this? Hopefully you won't say "I'm white".

Your understanding of weather, is almost as good as your understanding of electronics...

The more common severe weather systems that plague Florida, have nothing to do with Ethiopia.
19-11-2021 19:11
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

When you asked about the weather pattern that brings the spring rain to Ethiopia then across both northern Africa and the Atlantic Ocean, I said it was because of a low pressure system caused by the tropical jet stream moving over the Rocky Mountains.
I mean granted, the temperature variances of the Atlantic Ocean help but have to ask, did you miss that post?

I didn't ask about the weather pattern. You are hallucinating.

The Parrot Killer

19-11-2021 19:16
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Now everybody knows that the hurricanes in Florida start over Ethiopia, right? This is because you have dry air blowing down the Atlas Mountains from Turkey and mixing with warm, moist air coming up through the Red Sea.

No, hurricanes start at sea.
James___ wrote:
And yet the winds blow across the hot Sahara Desert.

So?
James___ wrote:
This is probably because as you see in the attached image, the currents recirculating from the Gulf Stream going north have a cooler recirculation gyre the closer to North Africa (the country) they go.

The Gulf Stream isn't anywhere near Africa.
James___ wrote:
Then when you have the warmest water coming from off the coast of the African continent to Colombia and then up to Florida, then the weather patterns that start in Ethiopia can become hurricanes the closer to the Gulf Stream they get. This is because the surface temperature of the ocean needs to be above 85º F. in order for a tropical depression to become a hurricane.

Nope. You can get hurricanes at lower temperatures.
James___ wrote:
And with hurricanes just as with tornadoes, the barometer will drop because such weather phenomena are a low pressure system.

So? You just denied your earlier post. Which is it, dude?
James___ wrote:
And ITN, hopefully this answers any questions that you and Harvey might have as to why Florida has hurricanes and Seattle doesn't.

Seattle does get hurricanes. We just call them typhoons here.

The Parrot Killer

19-11-2021 19:17
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Not all hurricanes begin as tropical storms either.

The Parrot Killer

19-11-2021 19:18
(21597)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What about the storms that arrive from the Pacific? What about the freezing temperatures that arrive out of the north that hit Florida from time to time?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-11-2021 19:24
Page 5 of 6<<<3456>

Join the debate gravity and temperature:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Can we trust the satellite and surface-based temperature records?123-04-2024 16:21
Gravity1030-03-2024 02:38
Gravity Has Energy Debate3303-02-2024 17:02
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact