14-10-2016 18:59
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Oh, stop it. I am showing the graph:

_____X
__X__X
X_X__X

In which X represents a part of the graph, and _ is an annoying but necessary part to keep it from getting weird.

Does that have one, two, three, or no local maxima, or peaks? (Note that if there is no X in a particular column, that x-value is not within the domain.)

Great.

Do you understand what a local maximum is?

Do you yet understand why every segment in a discontinuous domain will necessarily have a highest point?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-10-2016 21:04
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
IBdaMann wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:
Oh, stop it. I am showing the graph:

_____X
__X__X
X_X__X

In which X represents a part of the graph, and _ is an annoying but necessary part to keep it from getting weird.

Does that have one, two, three, or no local maxima, or peaks? (Note that if there is no X in a particular column, that x-value is not within the domain.)

Great.

Do you understand what a local maximum is?

Do you yet understand why every segment in a discontinuous domain will necessarily have a highest point?

Ah, okay. I'm just a bit rusty on my Calc definitions. I see that I need to clarify.

If we do not allow the endpoints to be considered local maxima, by declaring the interval to be open-ended, then not every segment will have a local maximum.

Why would I do this? Because then the number of local maxima is conserved when we remove intervals from the domain.

"Heads on a science
Apart" - Coldplay, The Scientist

IBdaMann wrote:
No, science doesn't insist that, ergo I don't insist that.

I am the Ninja Scientist! Beware!
14-10-2016 21:07
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote:Ah, okay. I'm just a bit rusty on my Calc definitions. I see that I need to clarify.

If we do not allow the endpoints to be considered local maxima, by declaring the interval to be open-ended, then not every segment will have a local maximum.

Why would I do this? Because then the number of local maxima is conserved when we remove intervals from the domain.

You can't simply do that. Gases have discontinuous domains. You have to work with the domains you have. You don't get to tweak them.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-10-2016 21:10
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
I'm not tweaking the domains. More like tweaking the definition of "peak". If you'd like, I could define a new term, "jay-peak", which is thus defined, and which is conserved when removing intervals from domains. The problem is that "peak" is somewhat vague.

Not every interval contains a local maximum, anyway.
14-10-2016 21:13
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote: Not every interval contains a local maximum, anyway.

Yes, every domain segment contains at least one local maximum.

You don't get to "tweak" definition of "domain" or "maxima."

14-10-2016 21:22
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Does every open-ended interval contain a local maximum?
17-10-2016 20:47
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote: Does every open-ended interval contain a local maximum?

Yes, at least one. It could contain many.

17-10-2016 22:29
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
No, it doesn't. Let us imagine a monotonically increasing function f over an open-ended domain D, which is (a, b). For any number x within D that is not b, there will be another number m such that f(m)>f(x). b is not an acceptable input number, since it is not within the domain. Ergo there can be no local maximum.
18-10-2016 22:23
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote:Let us imagine a monotonically increasing function f

Just a trivial note, "monotone increasing" is the correct descriptor of the monotonic function you wish to discuss

...carry on...

jwoodward48 wrote: over an open-ended domain D, which is (a, b). For any number x within D that is not b, there will be another number m such that f(m)>f(x). b is not an acceptable input number, since it is not within the domain. Ergo there can be no local maximum.

OK, you are correct. I misinterpreted the "open-ended" part. I thought you meant "the domain extends out to infinity in both directions." If you pick a domain interval with the endpoints then you must have a greatest f(x) value. With the endpoints removed then yes, there is no maximum f(x).

I apologize for the confusion.

Page 7 of 7<<<567

Join the debate Global Warming: Weak in Argument but Strong in Faith:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Church of the Mask -- "Magick Mask Argument"9402-04-2021 05:36
Argument against AGW science314-08-2019 20:51
The Faith Basis for Radiometric Data627-05-2019 21:00
Climate change: CO2 emissions fall in 18 countries with strong policies, study finds126-02-2019 18:15
Maxime Bernier believes in climate change, but defends argument that CO2 is just 'food for plants'124-02-2019 18:59
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact