Remember me
▼ Content

Global Warming Miracles

Global Warming Miracles26-10-2015 15:02
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14406)
Religions involve miracles. Global Warming is no exception.

The Christian-style miracles to which we have become accustomed involve a human performing magic that violates the laws of physics, e.g. walking on water, turning water into wine, rising from the dead, etc... Global Warming miracles, on the other hand, involve the atmosphere performing magic that violates the paws of physics, i.e. creating weather events, "trapping" heat, "slowing" thermal radiation and the big one, performing "forcings."

"Forcings" is the best literal translation for the word "Miracle" in the Global Warming lexicon. One item of note, a "forcing" typically carries the connotation of a punitive-type miracle, e.g. God's "wrath" or Satan's "evil power". Whenever one hears/reads of an instance of a "forcing" then a scientist would translate that as "a violation of physics is occurring at this point." For example:

climate scientist wrote: CH4 is the second largest contributor to anthropogenic radiative forcing.

Here, Climate Scientist is teaching us that CH4 holds a special place in Global Warming lore, that it is believed to be a powerful deity who wanders the earth in the form of the man-made portion of an atmospheric gas, and who can perform miracles involving thermal radiation. According to Global Warming legend, the mighty Global Warming deity, who is the enemy of humanity, is nourished by these "forcings" and with his renewed strength lashes out in wrath to punish humanity for its sins, typically with "extreme weather event" miracles. Many faithful point to the recent hurricane Patricia as Global Warming unleashing punishment on Mexico for the sins of human-kind.

climate scientist wrote: CH4 is 72 times as potent as CO2, because there is a lot more CO2, the total radiative forcing from CO2 dominates.

Here we learn that CH4 is the all-time pound-for-pound miracle-producing champion, but that CO2 wears the all-time super heavyweight belt. Many of the Global Warming faith believe CO2 has the special magical ability to grow and/or reproduce on its own. For example:

climate scientist wrote: If we stopped emitting CO2 today, however, atmospheric CO2 would probably continue to rise slightly for a few years, and then level off.

This thread can serve as a repository for the best/favorite/all-time-most-awesome Global Warming miracles ever recorded.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-10-2015 16:45
(14406)
The Holy Church of RealClimate has an interesting legend of First Order Climate Forcings.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/09/what-is-a-first-order-climate-forcing/

The following commentary includes the standard Global Warming delusion that "The Science" is actual science and that discussions of this topic should be treated in actual science discussions.

Roger Pielke Sr. (Colorado State) has a blog (Climate Science) that gives his personal perspective on climate change issues. In it, he has made clear that he feels that apart from greenhouse gases, other climate forcings (the changes that affect the energy balance of the planet) are being neglected in the scientific discussion.

This article gives us a two-for-one, allowing us to see how the infamous "radiative forcing" factors into the ominous "Climate forcing."

It is helpful to distinguish forcings that are important in the global mean, from those which might be important locally but not have much impact for 'global warming'. A good metric for the importance of a global forcing is the radiative forcing (i.e. the global mean radiation impact at the tropopause for an instantaneous change – the so-called "instantaneous forcing").

It's a fascinating read.
27-10-2015 16:28
(14406)
The miracle of "Thermal Forcing" also serves the Global Warming community as a writing tool for Global Warming clergy, enabling them to provide a more pleasant sounding tone to topics not well understood or appreciated outside the congregation of believers. More importantly, it generates verbiage that has a miraculously profound euphoric effect when heard by ears of the faithful creating a "high" unlike any other drug.

For example, instead of saying "We fabricate figures like a numerical sweatshop!" ...they can write:

From Thermal forcing for a global ocean circulation model using a three-year climatology of ECMWF analyses: The formulation is based on previous methods which have used bulk formulas to define a model-dependent correction to the air-sea fluxes applied to the model. An estimate of the flux correction is calculated from a recent 3-year climatology of atmospheric surface fields provided by the 6-hour analyses performed at the European Center for Medium-range Weather Forecasts. The mean correction term and its seasonnal cycle are analysed and compared to similar climatological quantities.

Instead of saying "The tropics are hot and humid" ...they can write:

From The Tropical Response to Extratropical Thermal Forcing in an Idealized GCM: The Importance of Radiative Feedbacks and Convective Parameterization: The response of tropical precipitation to extratropical thermal forcing is reexamined using an idealized moist atmospheric GCM that has no water vapor or cloud feedbacks, simplifying the analysis while retaining the aquaplanet configuration coupled to a slab ocean from the authors' previous study. As in earlier studies, tropical precipitation in response to high-latitude forcing is skewed toward the warmed hemisphere. Comparisons with a comprehensive GCM in an identical aquaplanet, mixed-layer framework reveal that the tropical responses tend to be much larger in the comprehensive GCM as a result of positive cloud and water vapor feedbacks that amplify the imposed extratropical thermal forcing.

Instead of saying "Ocean water is cool and causes heat flows in the atmosphere" ...they can write:

From The Response of the ITCZ to Extratropical Thermal Forcing: Idealized Slab-Ocean Experiments with a GCM: The northern extratropics are cooled and the southern extratropics are warmed by an imposed cross-equatorial flux beneath the mixed layer, forcing a southward shift in the ITCZ. The ITCZ displacement can be understood in terms of the degree of compensation between the imposed oceanic flux and the resulting response in the atmospheric energy transport in the tropics. The magnitude of the ITCZ displacement is very sensitive to a parameter in the convection scheme that limits the entrainment into convective plumes. The change in the convection scheme affects the extratropical–tropical interactions in the model primarily by modifying the cloud response. The results raise the possibility that the response of tropical precipitation to extratropical thermal forcing, important for a variety of problems in climate dynamics (such as the response of the tropics to the Northern Hemisphere ice sheets during glacial maxima or to variations in the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation), may be strongly dependent on cloud feedback. The model configuration described here is suggested as a useful benchmark helping to quantify extratropical–tropical interactions in atmospheric models.
31-10-2015 01:47
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
@IBdaMann - by the way, you may have noticed that some members like to be disrespectful toward other members to the point that they'll even extract quotes from other threads in order to mock them. For some reason, they prefer to shoot the messenger at any cost rather than discuss the message. If you find this kind of behavior as unfortunate as I do, then consider the following:

We now have a new sub-forum here in Climate-debate.com for anyone who would like to discuss their ideas without being harassed because of what they think: Sharing Ideas. Please feel free to start a new thread there if you would rather be posting in a respectful, harassment-free environment.

Sharing Ideas is unique among all the other sub-forums on this website, as it is currently the only one dedicated to creating a non-debate, non-judgmental, supportive, respectful and synergistic environment where people can share and explore new ideas about climate, climate change, and climate change science together.

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
31-10-2015 02:52
(14406)
I have a question for any Global Warming believers. How was there "climate forcing" centuries before the Industrial Revolution?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v392/n6678/abs/392779a0.html
31-10-2015 02:58
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
IBdaMann wrote:
I have a question for any Global Warming believers. How was there "climate forcing" centuries before the Industrial Revolution?

The paper to which you refer tells you precisely that. Do you never read your own references?
31-10-2015 03:05
(779)
@IBdaMann - perhaps the better question is not of the existence of climate forcing, but rather the cause of climate forcing.

As to the best of my knowledge, climate forcing only refers to factors other than the atmosphere itself which move climate trends in one direction or another. Since climate does change over time, there must be a force behind that change, therefore climate forcing is simply a term referring to the existence of such forces which do not originate within the atmosphere itself.

Thus, real question here is what is behind those forces?

As is widely accepted, M2C2 (man-made climate change) is behind the climate forcing of today.

31-10-2015 03:36
(14406)
Surface Detail wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The paper to which you refer tells you precisely that.

There's a more subtle question residing behind my overt one. In your own words, what is the cause for "climate forcing" (you can draw from the article or not, your choice).

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-10-2015 03:48
(14406)
trafn wrote:
@IBdaMann - perhaps the better question is not of the existence of climate forcing, but rather the cause of climate forcing.

That is exactly in what I am interested. Hopefully Surface Detail will give me a response.

31-10-2015 04:12
Totototo
★☆☆☆☆
(117)
http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/radiative-climate-forcing
Interesting, short and simple article about climate forcing.
31-10-2015 04:16
(779)
@IBdaMann - but why do you need someone else's response? What is your response? What do you think about climate forcing and its many causes? Why not just share your own thoughts with everyone as a guide to further conversation? In an effort to help you, I will start.

As is accepted by most recognized scientific authorities today, climate forcing over the past century or so is predominantly due to M2C2 (man-made climate change).

Thoughts?

Join the debate Global Warming Miracles:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact