Remember me
▼ Content

Global Warming and the consequences - is it real?

Global Warming and the consequences - is it real?29-01-2016 14:16
kdinesen
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Hi guys!
I am writing my main project in school about climate changes and the long term consequences. Mainly my focus is on Greenland and the melting ice sheet. I was wondering, if anybody have some sources showing me the consequences of global warming? I am mainly interested in relevant sources with concrete numbers and facts about the changes.

I hope somebody is able to help me!
Thank you in advance

Kind regards,
Kirstine

Kirstine
29-01-2016 14:57
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Here's a recent article you might be interested in:

New NASA videos show stark ice loss from Earth's ice sheets
29-01-2016 15:03
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Hi you will find helpfull and knowlegeable people here, you will also find people who for whatever reason are not helpfull at all, I will let you decide who is who. Be aware that this is an internet talkboard and anyone can say anything preatty much what they want. People will have wildly different opionions on the answer to the question; "is climate change real?"

Having said that nobody is going to do your homework for you, Wikipedia would be a far better place to start and that should have refrences to the original work. it really depends on how much detail you are looking for.
29-01-2016 15:48
kdinesen
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Thank you for you comment, Surface Detail.

Spot, I am simply seeking relevant facts and sources to be inspired by. Not asking anyone to do my homework for me. I think this is a forum with many people interested in this topic - some of the might have some relevant and interesting sources or articles to refer to. Have a nice day :-)
29-01-2016 16:15
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
kdinesen wrote:
Hi guys!
I am writing my main project in school about climate changes and the long term consequences. Mainly my focus is on Greenland and the melting ice sheet. I was wondering, if anybody have some sources showing me the consequences of global warming? I am mainly interested in relevant sources with concrete numbers and facts about the changes.

I hope somebody is able to help me!
Thank you in advance

Kind regards,
Kirstine

Here's a few reliable sources:

National Snow and Ice Data Centre
http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/greenland_ice_sheet.html

Also, you can do a search for 'Greenland' in the 2014 AR5 IPCC reports for the physical science, graphs, projections, impacts etc:

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/

Edited on 29-01-2016 16:33
29-01-2016 16:23
kdinesen
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Thanks Ceist!
Looks great. :-)
29-01-2016 16:58
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
There's a lot of rubbish and misinformation on the internet, so best to stick with science institutions or .edu educational websites.

Edited on 29-01-2016 17:00
29-01-2016 19:01
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
no worries kdinesen I just wanted to give you a heads up, good luck with your project.

In my opinion Surface Detail and Ceist are people who would be helpful since we are sharing links perhaps this is relevant.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/01/the-greenland-melt/
Edited on 29-01-2016 19:07
29-01-2016 21:26
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
kdinesen wrote: Hi guys!
I am writing my main project in school about climate changes and the long term consequences. Mainly my focus is on Greenland and the melting ice sheet. I was wondering, if anybody have some sources showing me the consequences of global warming?

You are likely to be embarrassed in 10-15 years. There is no Global Warming. The Greenland ice sheet is not disappearing.

You are apparently a Global Warming believer. Global Warming is a religion that appeals to the scientifically illiterate. You will probably write your paper explaining how the earth is warming, how Greenland ice is disappearing and of all the problems we will have with a warmer world...

...and in ten years earth's temperatures will have decreased due to the solar minimum (although members of your Global Warming Church will keep telling you year after year that each year is the "hottest globally on record")

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum/

...and the Greenland ice sheet, which has verifiably been accumulating ice all this century...

http://www.longrangeweather.com/ArticleArchives/GreenlandIceSheet.htm

http://www.sott.net/article/177782-Greenlands-Ice-Sheet-is-Growing

...will pack on a whole lot more ice over the next couple of decades.

You and your friends will dig up your report on Global Warming and you will all laugh about it over a beer. You'll remember back in the old days when you actually believed in all this Global Warming nonsense.

Will you post a copy of your paper (or a link to it) on this site once it is written? I'd really like to read it.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-01-2016 21:31
(14389)
spot wrote: Hi you will find helpfull and knowlegeable people here, you will also find people who for whatever reason are not helpfull at all,

You should warn Kirstine that you and several other warmizombies on this site are not interested whatsoever in being helpful but rather are more interested in pushing your politically motivated Global Warming agenda.

spot wrote: Wikipedia would be a far better place to start and that should have refrences to the original work. it really depends on how much detail you are looking for.

The last place Kirstine should look is Wikipedia. The first place should be truly authoritative sources.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-01-2016 21:36
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
The OP is probably smart enough to judge for themselves who is being helpful and unhelpful.
29-01-2016 21:53
(14389)
spot wrote: The OP is probably smart enough to judge for themselves [sic] who is being helpful and unhelpful.

We certainly hope so, yes?

30-01-2016 01:10
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
spot wrote:
The OP is probably smart enough to judge for themselves who is being helpful and unhelpful.

It's fascinating that IBdaMned hand-waves about "truly authoritative sources" then provides a link to a wacky conspiracy blog and a link to the website of a guy with zero background in science who believes he can predict the climate using the Bible. This guy also labels himself on his website as "one of the top climatologists in the world".

I've yet to see any "authoritative sources" from IBdaMned, other than one link to physics textbook he claimed did not mention greenhouse effect - then he was shown a screen shot of the pages where it did.

Mentally ill people like IBdaMned post all sorts of wacky scientifically illiterate rubbish and misinformation on the internet, so when a schoolkid is doing a school project, it's best for them to stick to authoritative sources like major science institutions, .edu educational websites or textbooks.

Edited on 30-01-2016 01:50
30-01-2016 01:33
(14389)
Ceist wrote:It's fascinating that IBdaMned hand-waves about "truly authoritative sources" ....

I'm relieved to know that there are people like you in the world to make my kids relatively more competitive.

Rock on.

30-01-2016 01:43
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
IBdaMned has children? Poor kids.

It's a good thing that his insane rantings on the internet are anonymous.

30-01-2016 01:48
(14389)
Ceist wrote: IBdaMned has children? Poor kids.

Well they don't think so, unless Starbucks is not serving their desired beverage.

p.s. - they understand the laws of thermodynamics. They probably won't be joining your church.

03-02-2016 09:36
ThePolarGuy
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Hey kdinesen

maybe you can use this link here???

http://www.greenland.com/en/about-greenland/nature-climate/climate-changes/

also - there's an very usefull infographic at the bottom, something you could include in your project ?? best of luck

- ThePolarGuy
Edited on 03-02-2016 09:40
03-02-2016 09:55
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
ThePolarGuy wrote:
Hey kdinesen

maybe you can use this link here???

http://www.greenland.com/en/about-greenland/nature-climate/climate-changes/

also - there's an very usefull infographic at the bottom, something you could include in your project ?? best of luck

- ThePolarGuy

Sensible source for a school project.

Welcome PolarGuy.

03-02-2016 10:12
kdinesen
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
*Thank you all for replying and adding relevant and very informal links. Also fun to be a part of an overall really intriguing discussion about whether global warming is real or not. I read all of your comments and find it interesting to go deeper into.

*ThePolarGuy: I had trouble finding the infographic in the beginning. But just to be sure - is it this one you are referring to: http://www.greenland.com/media/7719/greenland-climate-changes-infographic.pdf ??
03-02-2016 10:16
ThePolarGuy
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Thank you Ceist
glad to hear you like it as well!

Kdinesen: thats the one! i think it gives a short, but good introduction to the consequences of global warming

-ThePolarGuy
Edited on 03-02-2016 10:25
03-02-2016 13:28
Hank Samler
☆☆☆☆☆
(45)
IBdaMann wrote:

...will pack on a whole lot more ice over the next couple of decades.

Hi IB,

Do you have any more current links which perhaps show the oscillations of the ice sheet? *That* would be brilliant. 2005, 2009 are not real recent and the piece from Cliff Harris is unfortunately not dated:-(
03-02-2016 14:11
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
Another of IBdaMann's favorite 'truly authoritative" sources is

http://www.iceagenow.com/

It's a blog by Robert Felix, a crackpot ex-architect with no background in any field of science, but I'm sure you could some truly awesome 'graphs' there. Or in his self-published book- available for purchase on his blog.

http://americanloons.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/666-robert-w-felix.html

Edited on 03-02-2016 14:21
03-02-2016 16:34
Hank Samler
☆☆☆☆☆
(45)
Ceist wrote:

Thanks, Ceist. I love "big picture" blogs. Maybe I'll get addicted too.
*And* it looks like he keeps it updated..-)
03-02-2016 19:01
(14389)
Hank Samler wrote:
Hi IB,

Do you have any more current links which perhaps show the oscillations of the ice sheet? *That* would be brilliant. 2005, 2009 are not real recent and the piece from Cliff Harris is unfortunately not dated:-(

Hank, are you claiming this "Arctic ice disappearing" is now a new/recent thing? I thought the Arctic has supposedly been losing ice since the Industrial Revolution due to "greenhouse gases" being pumped into the atmosphere, with "accelerated ice melt" since the 1980's.

It was that understanding that had me certain that a 2009 verification of Greenland ice accumulation would be sufficient.

Is the new understanding that, naturally, everyone knows that the Greenland ice sheet has been accumulating ice up through 2009...and then it started losing ice?

03-02-2016 20:04
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
Hank Samler wrote:
Ceist wrote:

Thanks, Ceist. I love "big picture" blogs. Maybe I'll get addicted too.
*And* it looks like he keeps it updated..-)
you're welcome. It could provide hours of entertainment.

13-02-2016 10:11
Gogsy
☆☆☆☆☆
(23)
When I was looking I found it quite useful lookng at the IPCC website and to get some views from the NIPCC website.
It allows you to at least make some judgements yourself rather than just being led by one view.

Happy reading.
13-02-2016 20:41
(14389)
Gogsy wrote:
When I was looking I found it quite useful lookng at the IPCC website and to get some views from the NIPCC website.
It allows you to at least make some judgements yourself rather than just being led by one view.

Happy reading.

There is nothing honest published by the IPCC. There is information benefit from differing honest sources. There is only information benefit from a dishonest source if it is understood how they are being deceptive.

14-02-2016 17:09
Paul O
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Question the logic. Create some paramaters for your assignment. State your assumptions. Then do the research.
1. Is Global warming real? If so how would i prove it? If not what would prove it is not real?
2. What is the relationship with Al Gore losing the election to George Bush and global warming starting almost immediately after.
3. What were the temperatures 200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1000 Years ago (there are no records so this is a stumbling block to any assignment. Short term variations in anything are not reliable as evidence. Global warming is using short term evidence to prove its point. Be careful how you assess this.
4. The ice caps are not melting? Check research to prove this
5. Most of the predictions of the Global warming exponents are proven to have not happened.
6. Calculate the mass of Ice at the north and south poles, make allowance for Canada, Russia, Iceland and Greenland and see how much water in volume you will have then see if that was spread across the oceans how much would it increase the water level in inches. (dont worry about feet because there is not enough ice if melted to increase even on foot on the oceans
7. Look at the constitution of the air. How much is Co2 and how much of that is man made?
8. Look at the effect of a massive volcanic eruption on the climate. We have had a lot in the last 20 years. See how much the gasses may have affected the climate from natural reactions of nature
9. Ask the question "what if the climate warms up" "Is this good or bad for mankind" "Ask some people if they prefer warm or cold climate" Then see if the hypothesis that climate change to a warmer climate is better for mankind stacks up?

This is just a start. There are so many more questions but your assignment will need to be kept to a specific word count.
14-02-2016 21:45
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Consider the scenario that Greenland was once on the North Pole. The ice sheet was formed here, it has been dislocated to the current location and that is the reason why it is melting very slowly. There only answer possible on the question why there's an ice sheet solely present on Greenland.

When you want research this issue seriously you have to think outside of the box.

You can read this two precursors for a new book:
http://hubpages.com/education/Why-is-Greenland-Covered-in-Ice
http://hubpages.com/education/How-Old-Are-Pyramids-Around-the-World

Good luck!
14-02-2016 22:26
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
Paul O wrote:
Question the logic. Create some paramaters for your assignment. State your assumptions. Then do the research.
1. Is Global warming real? If so how would i prove it? If not what would prove it is not real?
2. What is the relationship with Al Gore losing the election to George Bush and global warming starting almost immediately after.
3. What were the temperatures 200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1000 Years ago (there are no records so this is a stumbling block to any assignment. Short term variations in anything are not reliable as evidence. Global warming is using short term evidence to prove its point. Be careful how you assess this.
4. The ice caps are not melting? Check research to prove this
5. Most of the predictions of the Global warming exponents are proven to have not happened.
6. Calculate the mass of Ice at the north and south poles, make allowance for Canada, Russia, Iceland and Greenland and see how much water in volume you will have then see if that was spread across the oceans how much would it increase the water level in inches. (dont worry about feet because there is not enough ice if melted to increase even on foot on the oceans
7. Look at the constitution of the air. How much is Co2 and how much of that is man made?
8. Look at the effect of a massive volcanic eruption on the climate. We have had a lot in the last 20 years. See how much the gasses may have affected the climate from natural reactions of nature
9. Ask the question "what if the climate warms up" "Is this good or bad for mankind" "Ask some people if they prefer warm or cold climate" Then see if the hypothesis that climate change to a warmer climate is better for mankind stacks up?

This is just a start. There are so many more questions but your assignment will need to be kept to a specific word count.

You can find 'answers' to these 'questions' on your favourite junk-science conspiracy blogs and industry-funded right-wing libertarian 'think tank' websites.

Edited on 14-02-2016 22:26
14-02-2016 22:37
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
Gogsy wrote:

Happy reading.

Try fact-checking the NIPCC claims. It's an eye opener.

It's no coincidence that the NIPCC was started by the same people who were paid by the tobacco industry to create doubt about the research into the health risks of smoking.

15-02-2016 00:01
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21586)
Ceist wrote:
Gogsy wrote:

Happy reading.

Try fact-checking the NIPCC claims. It's an eye opener.

It's no coincidence that the NIPCC was started by the same people who were paid by the tobacco industry to create doubt about the research into the health risks of smoking.

Try fact-checking yourself.

The issue was about 2nd hand smoke, not smoking. You might also reference Dr. Singer's statement on the matter of funding about this particular instance. You might also mention that the NIPCC was founded by him, it is made of others as well.

Now, who do you suppose is funding Dr. Singer to take his stances against global warming? or the ozone scare?

What is the difference between his funding and the government funded (and therefore government influenced) scientists you claim to be the Great God Consensus?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-02-2016 07:57
(14389)
Paul O wrote:Question the logic. Create some paramaters for your assignment. State your assumptions. Then do the research.

"Prove" and "real" aren't the correct words.

1. Is Global Warming falsifiable? If so, produce the falsifiable Global Warming model. Otherwise it's simply not science.

Paul O wrote:2. What is the relationship with Al Gore losing the election to George Bush and global warming starting almost immediately after.

2. Is Global Warming political? Would it require a Library of Congress to document the extent to which it is?

Paul O wrote: 3. What were the temperatures 200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1000 Years ago (there are no records so this is a stumbling block to any assignment.

3. Does humanity yet have the means to accurately measure the average global temperature, whatever that is supposed to mean? No? Well, this is a stumbling block for Global Warming.

Paul O wrote:4. The ice caps are not melting? Check research to prove this

This is another stumbling block for Global Warming.

Join the debate Global Warming and the consequences - is it real?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
What a "REAL" American Brings to the Table305-12-2023 01:14
None Of You Know The Real Intend, Purpose Of Climate Change Issue On The Media704-12-2023 04:02
The government now wants everyone to ALWAYYS use their real name when using the net2018-11-2023 22:35
LOL was that a super bimbo demonstrating her only real mental prowess106-09-2023 14:05
My real name is Oleg Aleksandr Boris Vasiliev303-08-2023 13:15
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact