▼ Content

Geoengineering to Neutralize Ocean Acidification

Page 3 of 9<12345>>>
14-03-2022 02:52
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
sealover wrote:
...deleted fictional story...
What is the alkalinity of a pH 7 solution? No way to tell from that alone.
You'll have to give me more info.

A pH of 7 is not an alkaline.
sealover wrote:
...deleted more fictional story...
If I start with a 1 molar solution of vitamin C and adjust it to pH 4.5, what is the alkalinity? 0.5 moles per liter. Off the scale compared to groundwater.

Unit error. Alkalinity is not measured in moles.
sealover wrote:
Should I translate that alkalinity into calcium carbonate equivalents, grams per liter? Only if I have to write a government report.

I have to write a government report constantly. One I write every year describes my income and deductions. I do not have to mention 'alkalinity' or 'calcium carbonate equivalents' or even use grams at all.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-03-2022 02:53
(21582)
sealover wrote:
sealover wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
sealover wrote:Is it fun to be a genius? I can only imagine.

It's great! ... but it's not for everyone. Warmizombies are an excellent example of a class whereby intelligence just rubs them the wrong way.

If you'd like to see how my half lives, start defining your terms and you'll be in for an exhilarating ride.

Terms defined:

xenobiotic is not of biological origin

reductive dehalogenenation is the process by which bacteria remove atoms of chlorine, fluorine, bromine, or iodine.

These halogenated organics include everything from teflon to DDT.

No microorganism is capable of degrading these things for profit.

It costs more to make the enzymes to degrade them and make the carbon available for oxidation than they can get from oxidizing the carbon.

The stuff just hangs out in the environment for the longest time.

However, if we provide the right anaerobic bacteria with a source of energy (usually carbohyrate) to do it and provide extreme hypoxia conditions, they can tear the chlorine, fluorine, bromine or iodine off the xenobiotic. The halogen is chemically reduced to chloride, fluoride, bromide, or iodide ion. The remaining carbon can later be degraded for profit by (different) aerobic bacteria when oxygen is allowed to return.

Proven fact. It's already a success story, not a theory.

Contracting microorganisms to do our dirty work for us offers hope for how we can detoxify xenobiotics and facilitate their degradation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll probably have to try this one again when there are more people visiting the thread.

XENOBIOTICS include PLASTIC.

We synthesized a lot of materials that no organism ever evolved to degrade.

Many bacteria and fungi produce the right kind of enzymes, or are capable of carrying out detoxifying redox reactions, but cannot degrade xenobiotics unless they are supplied.

But it can be as simple and flooding the soil with beer brewery waste to create extreme low oxygen with an energy source for reductive dehalogenation and other xenobiotic degradation reactions.

And we can use a model from Mother Nature. Chitin degradation.

3-way symbiosis: Plant-fungi-bacteria.

Chitin is what arthropod (insects, etc.) exoskeletons are made of. There is a lot of it in soil communities. It is a great source of nitrogen, but it's tough to degrade.

Some bacteria make enzymes that can degrade chitin. But they can't make a living at it. They can tear apart the chitin to mobilize the nitrogen. They could then oxidize the remaining organic carbon. But there's no profit in it.

Almost all plants have symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi associated with their roots.

Plants provide organic carbon to the fungi. The fungi with its extensive network of fine hyphae, contacts about 50 times as much soil surface area as the roots of its plant partner. The fungal hyphae can reach far and wide, using the food provided by the plant. They can then transfer to the plant nutrients acquired from the soil.

Fungi are biochemical wizards are far as producing enzymes to degrade decomposing organic matter. But chitin is a tough nut to crack even for a fungi.
Besides, many fungi include chitin in their own structure. Producing a self-digesting enzyme is hazardous.

Bacteria can degrade chitin, but it's generally not worth it. Unless they are truly starving for nitrogen. But let's connect the three to see the model nature provides for degrading xenobiotics.

The tree gives its mycorrhizal fungi some organic carbon. Go get me some nitrogen. The fungi has a monolayer of bacteria on the tips of its hyphae.
The fungi gives some of the organic carbon it got from the tree and gives it to the bacteria. Go get me some nitrogen. The bacteria produces chitinase. Just far enough away from the fungi not to digest it too. Soil chitin is degraded by the chitinase from the bacteria. The mycorrhizal fungi pick up the nitrogen mobilized by the bacteria and pass it back up to the tree.

We can use those guys to break down things besides chitin.

We can selectively breed bacteria to degrade things that Mother Nature has never seen before. Maybe even throw in a little genetic engineering.

You certainly DO like to tell stories. They don't seem to have any purpose except to let you use your buzzwords more often.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-03-2022 02:54
(21582)
sealover wrote:
There are some other resident science experts who may want to take the next obvious step in this discussion.

What discussion? You aren't having one.
sealover wrote:
Why do you hate plastic?

I don't.

The Parrot Killer

14-03-2022 03:02
(21582)
sealover wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
sealover wrote:XENOBIOTICS include PLASTIC.

Are you saying that "xenobiotics" is just another word invented to make "anthropogenic" appear as though it is not simply a religious doctinal concept of Global Warming but a fully developed branch of science?

"Xenobiotics" means "evil, vile product of human activity that causes Climate Change" right?

There is no such thing as a "good" xenobiotic, right?

sealover wrote:We synthesized a lot of materials that no organism ever evolved to degrade.

Would you mind explaining to the board why belief in Darwin's theory of evolution is necessary in order for your subject matter to be fully understood?

sealover wrote:Many bacteria and fungi produce the right kind of enzymes, or are capable of carrying out detoxifying redox reactions, but cannot degrade xenobiotics unless they are supplied.

What does this mean? Are you saying that anthropogenic materials are so evil that bacteria and fungi are effectively prevented from degrading them via astral projection?

sealover wrote:But it can be as simple and flooding the soil with beer brewery waste to create extreme low oxygen with an energy source for reductive dehalogenation and other xenobiotic degradation reactions.

Beer brewery waste will reenable the astral projection?

sealover wrote:And we can use a model from Mother Nature. Chitin degradation.

I don't want my chitin degraded. I want my mushrooms just right when I put them in my lasagna.

Seriously, please explain to these neaderthalls why Darwin's theory is a "must- believe". I mean, it's a fact, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I miss speaking at scientific conferences.

They don't allow any hecklers in the peanut gallery

Science isn't a conference.

Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

So far you have discarded acid-base chemistry, attempted to burn a carbonate, discarded the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics, discarded Plank's law, and discarded the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

You seem to also confuse carbon with carbonates and confuse carbon with carbon dioxide.

The Parrot Killer

RE: "Oxygen Catastrophe" Never Happened15-03-2022 10:16
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Paleobiogeochemistry time again!

The banded iron formations reveal that life has been present on earth for 4000 million years.

The geologic record revealed that there was a time before the earth had oxygen in the atmosphere.

The banded iron formations revealed a major shift in oxidation-reduction conditions, where iron was fully oxidized.

It was known that oxygen is deadly to microorganisms adapted exclusively to low oxygen conditions.

So, there must been an "oxygen catastrophe".

A mass extinction must have occurred.

One little flaw in the theory was that there wasn't just one band of oxidized iron in the banded iron formations.

The "oxygen catastrophe" must have happened over and over.

And over and over and over again, over a period of 2000 million years.

The quantities of oxidized iron in the banded iron formations represent at least a 1000 million years of oxygenic photosynthesis.

And this was before enough of the iron in the earth's crust had oxidized that it became possible for free oxygen to accumulate in the atmosphere.

There was no "oxygen catastrophe".

There were 2000 million years during which oxygen was at least sometimes present under otherwise prevailing reducing conditions.

Oxygen was not a poison.

It was a coveted resource.

It was the most powerful oxidant nature ever provided.

It released more energy than any other oxidant when used to oxidize hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, reduced sulfur of all forms, manganese(II), ferrous iron, and all the other reductants.

And, of course, carbon. Oxygen got the most bang for the buck when a microorganism used it to oxidize organic carbon.

Sulfur gave a lot more energy than carbon, using oxygen to burn it.

Sulfur oxidizing bacteria parked next to the photosynthetic cyanobacteria.

They wanted to catch the oxygen as soon as it came out.

They left us some distinct fossil layers to prove it.
15-03-2022 10:39
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Nah.It was single cell bacteria called stromatilites wot done it.I have seen it!
15-03-2022 19:53
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Paleobiogeochemistry time again!

Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
The banded iron formations reveal that life has been present on earth for 4000 million years.

The geologic record revealed that there was a time before the earth had oxygen in the atmosphere.

The banded iron formations revealed a major shift in oxidation-reduction conditions, where iron was fully oxidized.

It was known that oxygen is deadly to microorganisms adapted exclusively to low oxygen conditions.

So, there must been an "oxygen catastrophe".

A mass extinction must have occurred.

One little flaw in the theory was that there wasn't just one band of oxidized iron in the banded iron formations.

The "oxygen catastrophe" must have happened over and over.

And over and over and over again, over a period of 2000 million years.

The quantities of oxidized iron in the banded iron formations represent at least a 1000 million years of oxygenic photosynthesis.

And this was before enough of the iron in the earth's crust had oxidized that it became possible for free oxygen to accumulate in the atmosphere.

There was no "oxygen catastrophe".

There were 2000 million years during which oxygen was at least sometimes present under otherwise prevailing reducing conditions.

Oxygen was not a poison.

It was a coveted resource.

It was the most powerful oxidant nature ever provided.

It released more energy than any other oxidant when used to oxidize hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, reduced sulfur of all forms, manganese(II), ferrous iron, and all the other reductants.

And, of course, carbon. Oxygen got the most bang for the buck when a microorganism used it to oxidize organic carbon.

Sulfur gave a lot more energy than carbon, using oxygen to burn it.

Sulfur oxidizing bacteria parked next to the photosynthetic cyanobacteria.

They wanted to catch the oxygen as soon as it came out.

They left us some distinct fossil layers to prove it.

How do you know? Were you there?
You keep making up these stories like you were actually there or something.

Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalism).

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 15-03-2022 19:53
RE: it IS possible to measure the pH of the ocean17-03-2022 03:29
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Into the Night wrote:[quote]sealover wrote:
ocean "acidification"

You can't acidify an alkaline.

sealover wrote:
(i.e. depletion of alkalinity) would continue to get worse for decades to come.

It is not possible to measure the pH of the oceans.

Buzzword fallacies. Denial of chemistry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
pH is commensurate with hydrogen ion ACTIVITY, but not necessarily hydrogen ion CONCENTRATION.

Before we go there, let's start with the basic.

Actually it IS possible to measure the pH of the oceans.

That probably doesn't require too much suspension of disbelief.

But when they measure pH, what are they even measuring.

I used the word "commensurate" rather than "proportional" because the pH scale is logarithmic.

pH is the negative of the logarithm of hydrogen ion activity.

Before we get into "activity" rather than "concentration", make sure we got the "logarithm" part right.

pH 7 is where the activity of hydrogen ions is equal to the activity of hydroxide.

10 to the minus 7 power is a tiny number. 0.000001

pH 6 translates to 0.00001 a unit change of just 1 represents tens times as much hydrogen activity.

Why "activity"?

To illustrate, let's look at ferric iron.

Put some ferric iron into our pH 7 solution and nearly all of it precipitates.

Equilibrium activity of labile ferric ion is extremely low at pH 7.

A measure of iron concentration would show extremely low.

Now make a pH 7 solution of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and add ferric iron to it.

The concentration of iron in solution can be orders of magnitude higher at pH 7 than the pH 7 water with no vitamin C.

Concentration is not activity.

When the ferric iron was chelated by vitamin C, its reactive sites were occluded by attachment to organic ligands.

These iron atoms have very low chemical activity, compared to ferric iron not chelated by vitamin C.

The same level of total chemical activity can support a much much higher concentration of iron in solution, if each iron atom atom has low chemical activity.

But you could still calculate iron concentration based on pH if you have the right activity coefficient for iron in vitamin C chelation complexes.

And by the way, the fact that chelated ferric iron is so soluble, it means that even at SEA WATER pH it remains soluble and bioavailable.

And I don't think I can to convince most of you that you can measure that pH.
17-03-2022 06:25
(21582)
sealover wrote:
pH is commensurate with hydrogen ion ACTIVITY, but not necessarily hydrogen ion CONCENTRATION.

More of your basic illiteracy?
sealover wrote:

No. You are denying statistical math again.
sealover wrote:

It doesn't. It requires denying math.

The Parrot Killer

RE: No Science. Why bother listening anymore?17-03-2022 06:27
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

More of your basic illiteracy?
sealover wrote:

No. You are denying statistical math again.
sealover wrote:

It doesn't. It requires denying math.

F U you disgusting piece of S
17-03-2022 06:44
(21582)
sealover wrote:
F U you disgusting piece of S

Insult fallacy. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

17-03-2022 07:10
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
sealover wrote:Actually it IS possible to measure the pH of the oceans.

It is possible to measure the pH of the ocean (there is only one).

It is not possible to measure the pH of the ocean to within any usable margin of error. That's what the reference to statistical math is all about. Since you are a warmizombie, I wouldn't expect you to fully grasp that "math" stuff so I'll gladly give you a pass.

Oh, by the way, not being able to measure the pH of the ocean (there is only one) to any usable accuracy is effectively the same, for all intents and purposes, as not being able to measure the pH of the ocean (there can be only one).

... and you get a pass out of the deal, so that's a good thing.

sealover wrote:But when they measure pH, what are they even measuring.

Oh, oh, ... pick me, pick me ... are they measuring the sadness of the loss of a coral reef?

sealover wrote: I used the word "commensurate" rather than "proportional" because the pH scale is logarithmic.

The scale is exponential. The pH value is what is logarithmic. Don't worry about trying to figure that "Math" stuff out.

sealover wrote:pH is the negative of the logarithm of hydrogen ion activity.

See? You get it. The pH value is what is logarithmic.

sealover wrote:Before we get into "activity" rather than "concentration", make sure we got the "logarithm" part right.

Yes, let's make sure we get that "exponential" aspect of the scale right.

sealover wrote:pH 7 is where the activity of hydrogen ions is equal to the activity of hydroxide.

I'm getting excited ... you look like you're about to explain how going from 8 to 9 or going from 6 to 5 is a whole lot more than going from 7 to 8 or from 7 to 6 ... like it is exponential or something.

sealover wrote:And by the way, the fact that chelated ferric iron is so soluble, it means that even at SEA WATER pH it remains soluble and bioavailable.

So you are using pharmacology lingo because everyone knows what you mean?

Edited on 17-03-2022 07:12
RE: How do you think this looks to sane people?18-03-2022 07:55
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Is it possible you are unaware you are leaving a permanent record for whole world to see?

How do you think this looks to a sane person?

You wouldn't know, would you?

------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:

20-03-2022 08:09
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
sealover wrote:
sealover wrote:
One geoengineering approach to use coastal wetlands to generate alkalinity for the sea would also sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Coastal deserts could be farmed for alkalinity by pumping sea water into them.

Constructed wetlands have been employed for more than 50 years to neutralize acid mine drainage. Constructed saltwater wetlands could use the same biogeochemical mechanisms to neutralize ocean acidification.

It could be as simple as a low earthen dam across a dry river outlet. Wind-driven or sea-wave powered pumps could give sea water the slight lift uphill. As the water drains back to the sea, it carries the alkalinity acquired from sulfate reduction in the low oxygen sediment.

Continuous pumping of sea water in would balance with continuous drainage and evaporation to establish a steady state of hypersalinity in the constructed, upland saltwater wetland. A high enough rate of continuous sea water input could establish a steady state of only slightly elevated salinity, tolerable for aquaculture.

The resources are already available on site at little or no cost. Unproductive land could be transformed into a sink to sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide, as well as a source of new alkalinity for the sea.

A word of caution about coastal desert chemistry.

You won't have to wait for the live wetland ecosystem to establish before you'll generate a whole lot of alkalinity.

Rewetting a dry desert soil with sea water could result in extremely high initial pH. A toxic witch's brew will be the immediate result, although capable of rapid self attenuation. An exceptionally high pH initial mix could contain toxic concentrations of arsenic, boron, selenium, even hexavalent chromium (of natural origin).

Within seconds of initial contact between the dry desert soil and applied sea water, the soil becomes a high pH chemical trap for CO2.

The pH will decline soon as alkali hydroxides absorb CO2 to become carbonates.

Self attenuation with decreasing pH as CO2 is absorbed will soon sequester arsenic, borate, etc. out of solution.

I am enjoying the comments from sealover. New life has been breathed into Climate Debate

Questions for this solution...

Would it be hazardous to one's health, to breathe in the air near the constructed saltwater wetlands?

How long would it take to sequester arsenic, borate, etc. out of the solution?

RE: toxic gas from constructed wetland? Yes20-03-2022 08:56
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
"Would it be hazardous to one's health, to breathe in the air near the constructed saltwater wetland?"

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

The answer is, potentially, yes.

There are many kinds of sulfate reducing bacteria, and many potential products of sulfate reduction.

One very common such product is hydrogen sulfide.

H2S. The most highly reduced form of sulfur, which has multiple oxidation states.

It is toxic.

The vast majority of sulfur transformed during sulfate reduction by bacteria ends up in the form of pyrite.

I will avoid the long lecture required to explain why, but during part of the initial year of establishment, H2S emissions will be their greatest.

It is unlikely to harm anyone, but it sure stinks.

It's temporary.

"How long would it take to sequester arsenate, borate, etc., out of solution."

Not long at all.

That would be limited to the initial days or maybe weeks upon the very first wetting of the dry desert soil.

Hydroxides of sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium make excellent CO2 traps.

So good that you have to change them out frequently if you using them in a lab.

The hydroxide sequesters CO2. CO2 + OH- = HCO3-

Carbon dioxide is transformed into bicarbonate ion. Far less alkaline than hydroxide.

The high pH will drop quickly, long before anything even starts to grow.

I am truly delighted that you wanted to know this.

Most of the local residents who feel the need to post on my threads do not have the slightest interest in any questions about chemistry.

Never even asked me to give an unambiguous definition of chemistry!

You asked me some good ones that gave me an opportunity to share my unique skill set.

Very refreshing!

Thank you, Spongy Iris!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:
sealover wrote:
One geoengineering approach to use coastal wetlands to generate alkalinity for the sea would also sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Coastal deserts could be farmed for alkalinity by pumping sea water into them.

Constructed wetlands have been employed for more than 50 years to neutralize acid mine drainage. Constructed saltwater wetlands could use the same biogeochemical mechanisms to neutralize ocean acidification.

It could be as simple as a low earthen dam across a dry river outlet. Wind-driven or sea-wave powered pumps could give sea water the slight lift uphill. As the water drains back to the sea, it carries the alkalinity acquired from sulfate reduction in the low oxygen sediment.

Continuous pumping of sea water in would balance with continuous drainage and evaporation to establish a steady state of hypersalinity in the constructed, upland saltwater wetland. A high enough rate of continuous sea water input could establish a steady state of only slightly elevated salinity, tolerable for aquaculture.

The resources are already available on site at little or no cost. Unproductive land could be transformed into a sink to sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide, as well as a source of new alkalinity for the sea.

A word of caution about coastal desert chemistry.

You won't have to wait for the live wetland ecosystem to establish before you'll generate a whole lot of alkalinity.

Rewetting a dry desert soil with sea water could result in extremely high initial pH. A toxic witch's brew will be the immediate result, although capable of rapid self attenuation. An exceptionally high pH initial mix could contain toxic concentrations of arsenic, boron, selenium, even hexavalent chromium (of natural origin).

Within seconds of initial contact between the dry desert soil and applied sea water, the soil becomes a high pH chemical trap for CO2.

The pH will decline soon as alkali hydroxides absorb CO2 to become carbonates.

Self attenuation with decreasing pH as CO2 is absorbed will soon sequester arsenic, borate, etc. out of solution.

I am enjoying the comments from sealover. New life has been breathed into Climate Debate

Questions for this solution...

Would it be hazardous to one's health, to breathe in the air near the constructed saltwater wetlands?

How long would it take to sequester arsenic, borate, etc. out of the solution?
RE: Alkaline versus Alkalinity Misconceptions20-03-2022 16:07
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Alkalinity and alkaline sound very similar but have little in common.

Alkaline refers to the extent above pH of a solution.

Bicarbonate is less alkaline than carbonate less alkaline than hydroxide.

"You can't acidify an alkaline"

It's either or pH > 7, alkaline, or pH < 7, acid.

But alkalinity is quite different, not at all interchangeable with alkaline.

Alkalinity is acid neutralizing capacity.

A solution can have pH < 7, yet have very high alkalinity.

A solution can have pH > 7, yet have very low alkalinity.

Try not to get them mixed up.

It's a common mistake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:

It is not possible to measure the pH of the oceans.

Alkalinity is not a source, and it doesn't get stale.

Groundwater is not a discharge.

There is no oxidizing in chemistry.

You can't reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced.

Carbon is not alkaline. It is an element. It is neither an acid nor an alkaline.

Sulfate contains no carbon or carbon dioxide.

You can't generate alkalinity. There is no such thing as oxidation in chemistry. Sulfate has no carbon. You can't reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced.

Buzzword fallacies. Denial of chemistry.
20-03-2022 22:14
(14389)
seal over wrote:Alkalinity and alkaline sound very similar but have little in common.

Don't they have everything in common, i.e. a certain ability to receive hydrogen ions?

seal over wrote:Alkaline refers to the extent above pH of a solution.

... which is the solution's ability to receive hydrogen ions.

seal over wrote:Alkalinity is acid neutralizing capacity.

... which is another way of expressing the solution's ability to receive hydrogen ions.

seal over wrote:A solution can have pH < 7, yet have very high alkalinity.

... which is to say that the solution can give hydrogen ions and can receive hydrogen ions.

seal over wrote:A solution can have pH > 7, yet have very low alkalinity.

... which is to say that a base solution can have a lesser ability to receive hydrogen ions.

20-03-2022 22:24
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
sealover wrote:
"Would it be hazardous to one's health, to breathe in the air near the constructed saltwater wetland?"

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

There are many kinds of sulfate reducing bacteria, and many potential products of sulfate reduction.

H2S. The most highly reduced form of sulfur, which has multiple oxidation states.

It is toxic.

The vast majority of sulfur transformed during sulfate reduction by bacteria ends up in the form of pyrite.

I will avoid the long lecture required to explain why, but during part of the initial year of establishment, H2S emissions will be their greatest.

It's temporary.

Not long at all.

That would be limited to the initial days or maybe weeks upon the very first wetting of the dry desert soil.

Hydroxides of sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium make excellent CO2 traps.

Carbon dioxide is transformed into bicarbonate ion. Far less alkaline than hydroxide.

Most of the local residents who feel the need to post on my threads do not have the slightest interest in any questions about chemistry.

You asked me some good ones that gave me an opportunity to share my unique skill set.

Very refreshing!

Thank you, Spongy Iris!

Thank you for reply sealover!!

I had come across the following article in researching my reply to you yesterday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/carson-california-federal-help-lingering-stench/

"The mayor of Carson, California, along with a local environmental group, has called for federal intervention to help with a foul odor that has plagued the city for a month now (11/21/21)....

According to the Los Angeles County Public Works, the rotten egg smell is coming from hydrogen sulfide within the Dominguez Channel. The gas is created by rotting plants and other materials in the water...

Maintenance crews have attempted to neutralize the smell by spraying a biodegradable deodorizer into the channel and by utilizing a nano-bubbler system to increase dissolved oxygen. Officials on Monday proposed dredging the channel, but the process could take months to complete..."

And another story...

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-03-08/dominguez-channel-legacy-of-pollution

"The 15.7 mile-long Dominguez Channel remains a neglected, trash-strewn waterway designed to flush pollution from surrounding neighborhoods, industrial facilities and oil refineries into the Pacific Ocean.(Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)"

Now that looks like a major source of ocean acidification...

Wonder how far that spreads...

Would unpopulated coastal areas in Southern California be a good place to establish constructed saltwater wetlands?

On a separate note, I often remark, when at California beaches, it looks like the sand is sprinkled with gold. Do you think that could be, sulfate reduction by bacteria ending up in the form of pyrite?

RE: Another good contribution from Spongy Iris20-03-2022 22:48
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Thank you, Spongy Iris, for a meaningful contribution to a rational discussion.

You mentioned that one approach to mitigating the "rotten egg" smell is simply to aerate.

Bubbling oxygen in.

That is your easiest, cheapest, best quick fix.

Entry of oxygen accomplishes two things.

It allows sulfur oxidizing bacteria to transform hydrogen sulfide into sulfuric acid.

Maybe that doesn't sound better than rotten eggs, but it really is.

Entry of oxygen also prevents further generation of H2S.

Some microorganisms are adapted to exclusively low-oxygen conditions, and oxygen will simply kill them.

Others, like many sulfate reducers won't be killed by oxygen.

But they will be STARVED by the presence of oxygen.

They just can't compete if oxygen is around.

Aerobic microorganisms will get much much greater payoff by using oxygen, rather than sulfate, as oxidant to get energy from the oxidation of organic carbon.

The aerobic population will quickly outnumber the sulfate reducers and starve them out.

Back to the sulfuric acid generated when H2S is oxidized using oxygen.

Some sewer systems built of concrete get dissolved by the stuff.

Hydrogen sulfide, H2S, emitted from the anaerobic sewage by sulfate reducing bacteria under low oxygen conditions, floats up into the air.

Sulfur oxidizing bacteria on the concrete walls of the sewer catch the H2S and turn it into sulfuric acid.

That sulfuric acid then reacts with the calcium carbonate (lime) in the concrete.

The acid neutralizing capacity (alkalinity) of the lime comes into play.

Sulfuric acid + calcium carbonate = calcium sulfate + carbon dioxide + water

Back to bubbling oxygen to prevent anaerobic generation of stink and such.

During dredging operations, anaerobic sediment is exposed to oxygen.

It often contains a lot of H2S that is released.

Dredging use to occasionally cause big fish kills.

Then they learned to use industrial scale injection of air bubbles in the process.

Rather than get fish kills, they get fish feeding frenzies.

Thank you again, Spongy Iris for bringing relevant information and knowledge that makes a valuable contribution to the discussion!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

It is toxic.

It's temporary.

Not long at all.

Very refreshing!

Thank you, Spongy Iris!

I had come across the following article in researching my reply to you yesterday.

"The mayor of Carson, California, along with a local environmental group, has called for federal intervention to help with a foul odor that has plagued the city for a month now (11/21/21)....

According to the Los Angeles County Public Works, the rotten egg smell is coming from hydrogen sulfide within the Dominguez Channel. The gas is created by rotting plants and other materials in the water...

Maintenance crews have attempted to neutralize the smell by spraying a biodegradable deodorizer into the channel and by utilizing a nano-bubbler system to increase dissolved oxygen. Officials on Monday proposed dredging the channel, but the process could take months to complete..."

And another story...

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-03-08/dominguez-channel-legacy-of-pollution

"The 15.7 mile-long Dominguez Channel remains a neglected, trash-strewn waterway designed to flush pollution from surrounding neighborhoods, industrial facilities and oil refineries into the Pacific Ocean.(Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)"

Would unpopulated coastal areas in Southern California be a good place to establish constructed saltwater wetlands?

On a separate note, I often remark, when at California beaches, it looks like the sand is sprinkled with gold. Do you think that could be, sulfate reduction by bacteria ending up in the form of pyrite?
RE: additional note: sulfuric acid in, carbonic acid out21-03-2022 01:16
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
additional note: sulfuric acid in, carbonic acid out.

Acid neutralizing capacity typically changes a strong acid into a weak acid.

In this case, the strong acid is sulfuric acid.

The weak acid is carbonic acid.

The chemical equation show "carbon dioxide" not "carbonic acid"

But "carbon dioxide" and "carbonic acid" are really the SAME THING!

We'll get back to that later.
RE: Fluxes per unit time versus total pools21-03-2022 01:22
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Fluxes per unit time versus total pools.

There is 50 times as much carbon dioxide dissolved in sea water as there is floating in the atmosphere.

These are the TOTAL POOLS of carbon dioxide. The units are mass.

When a wetland is drained, 50 times as much carbon dioxide is emitted as there there is sequestered.

These fluxes are RATES. The units are mass per time.

The difference between total pools and fluxes is a common source of confusion.
21-03-2022 02:10
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:

Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:

The Parrot Killer

21-03-2022 02:14
(21582)
sealover wrote:
additional note: sulfuric acid in, carbonic acid out.

There is sulfur in carbon. There is no carbon in sulfur.
sealover wrote:
Acid neutralizing capacity typically changes a strong acid into a weak acid.

What 'acid neutralizing capacity'? Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
The chemical equation show "carbon dioxide" not "carbonic acid"

What chemical equation?
sealover wrote:
But "carbon dioxide" and "carbonic acid" are really the SAME THING!

Carbon dioxide (CO2)and carbonic acid (H2CO3) are NOT the same thing.
sealover wrote:
We'll get back to that later.

I'm sure you will. You're moronic enough to make this stupid claim again. You are only showing your illiteracy in chemistry.

The Parrot Killer

21-03-2022 02:21
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Fluxes per unit time versus total pools.

Obviously you have no idea what 'flux' means. Define 'total pools'.
sealover wrote:
There is 50 times as much carbon dioxide dissolved in sea water as there is floating in the atmosphere.

Argument from randU fallacy. Denial of air/water equilibrium and partial pressure physics.
sealover wrote:
These are the TOTAL POOLS of carbon dioxide. The units are mass.

So a random number of a 'total pools'. Gotit. What mass do you speak of?
sealover wrote:
When a wetland is drained, 50 times as much carbon dioxide is emitted as there there is sequestered.

Argument from randU fallacy. Draining does not emit CO2.

Why are you so scared of CO2?? It's a naturally occurring gas that is absolutely necessary for life to exist on Earth.
sealover wrote:
These fluxes are RATES. The units are mass per time.

Go learn what 'flux' means.
sealover wrote:
The difference between total pools and fluxes is a common source of confusion.

Buzzword fallacies. Gibber-babble confusion described as 'clarification'.

Illiteracy. Denial of chemistry. Buzzword fallacies. Arguments from randU fallacies. Denial of physics.

The Parrot Killer

RE: OMG! OMG! OMG! Don't get me started. Yet.21-03-2022 06:56
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Would unpopulated coastal area of SOCAL provide a chance to prove that it works?

With predictable success?

Incredibly cheap and easy.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

On the other Baja may offer fewer obstacle.

Plenty of dry, low places close to saltwater.

Historically, as long-term (i.e. thousands of years range) weather patterns ebbed and flowed with the rise and fall of the glaciers and seas, wetlands switched back and forth with deserts.

Jaguars used to live not far from Death Valley when the marshlands offered the best hunting grounds.

Now, a word of advisory.

I got too excited when you asked the question but it is way jumping the gun on anything bigger than a small lagoon.

A small lagoon you would have seen naturally occurring in that same spot if you had been here, back in the day.

Back at that point in ice cycle It rained a WHOLE lot more in SOCAL.

Only now it was a desert.

You are talking about getting it wet again when it had a long time to get dry.

If the rewetting had been over millenia of gradual increase, it surely would be nothing like suddenly getting it wet now.

Let the scientists check it out thoroughly before you try it.

Do me a favor and ask my advise before going in yet.

The controlled study of the small new lagoon, fed by sea water pumped upland, would measure submarine groundwater discharge with extensive monitoring and clustered-wells where muliple ground wateer bearing units at multiple depths can be sampled in a single location.

And that's where I stop, because it was premature of me bring this up at all.

BUT OMG! That's gonna be a cool part of future presentation.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

It is toxic.

It's temporary.

Not long at all.

Very refreshing!

Thank you, Spongy Iris!

And another story...

21-03-2022 08:21
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Would unpopulated coastal area of SOCAL provide a chance to prove that it works?
...deleted excess...

Random phrases. No apparent coherency. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

RE: A local scumbag to ignore22-03-2022 12:59
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
So, if any of you start your own discussion threads, you will certainly meet some of our prolific local scumbags.

You'll find your own posts vastly outnumbered by responses that are useless or worse.

Of course, ANY thread you want to follow, there is no need to see any troll garbage.

Posts of the originator, or of any participants in the thread can all be found in chronological order with subject titles.

I still have to read the kind of stuff you see below for a while longer.

You never will.

And to answer the troll's question, "are any of these geoengineering schemes free?"

Yes, most of them are free, or next to no cost.

---------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:
I already mentioned this before. You haven't defined a single term. You did not come here with any science. You came here with a religious dogma looking to preach.

.Define: "Climate", "Climate Change", "Climate Change mitigation" and criteria for evaluating Climate Change mitigation.

A chemist would use the correct term "hydrocarbons." A chemist would know that no fossils are burned as fuel.

So you are a scientifically illiterate Marxist whose objective is to frighten people into a panic to end capitalism.

Ask me how I know.

I hope you realize that you have discarded any credibility that you might have otherwise had.

This thread is a non-starter.

You simply copy-pasted this text on someone else's order, didn't you?

Right. Natural geological processes can't possibly be the source of the ocean's alkalinity. No, of course not. It has to be coastal wetlands, Climate's cousin, I presume ... but then there are those pesky "nutrients" that will kill us all if the government doesn't swoop in and save us, right? How much should our taxes be increased in order to properly rectify the situation?

Are you talking about the hypoxic DEAD ZONES? You know, the ones that "scientists" assure us are worse than previously feared?

Are any of these three "geoengineering" approaches free? ... or does each cost a lot of money? Wait, don't tell me, the most expensive one is the "preferred" one but it will require substantial government "investment" which can easily be funded by a small tax increase, am I right?

I have a much better idea. Just have the US Navy scoop up some sea water the next time it has a ship at sea, and simply measure the sea water's pH. When you discover that the sea water is still greater than 8.0 ... you can claim victory without having to do anything.
RE: Pyrite at the beach - Bacterial sulfate reduction,22-03-2022 19:14
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Pyrite at the beach - Bacterial sulfate reduction?

Spongy Iris asked about the "fool's gold" one often sees at the beach.

Was that pyrite in the sand formed by bacterial sulfate reduction?

Not most of it.

Most of the pyrite eroded off the mountains and washing down to the sea was not formed by bacteria.

It is the same chemical compound, formed by abiotic mechanisms in geochemical processes millions of years ago. It was in the rocks before erosion.

But walk around to the right part of the beach and you can find enormous crystals of pyrite formed in place by bacteria, during your lifetime.

The rising sea level created a new layer of pyrite in the nearby mud flat.

You don't have to dig deep at all to find them in the sediment.

Some of those chunks of "fool's gold" are HUGE!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sealover wrote:
Thank you, Spongy Iris, for a meaningful contribution to a rational discussion.

You mentioned that one approach to mitigating the "rotten egg" smell is simply to aerate.

Bubbling oxygen in.

That is your easiest, cheapest, best quick fix.

Entry of oxygen accomplishes two things.

It allows sulfur oxidizing bacteria to transform hydrogen sulfide into sulfuric acid.

Maybe that doesn't sound better than rotten eggs, but it really is.

Entry of oxygen also prevents further generation of H2S.

Some microorganisms are adapted to exclusively low-oxygen conditions, and oxygen will simply kill them.

Others, like many sulfate reducers won't be killed by oxygen.

But they will be STARVED by the presence of oxygen.

They just can't compete if oxygen is around.

Aerobic microorganisms will get much much greater payoff by using oxygen, rather than sulfate, as oxidant to get energy from the oxidation of organic carbon.

The aerobic population will quickly outnumber the sulfate reducers and starve them out.

Back to the sulfuric acid generated when H2S is oxidized using oxygen.

Some sewer systems built of concrete get dissolved by the stuff.

Hydrogen sulfide, H2S, emitted from the anaerobic sewage by sulfate reducing bacteria under low oxygen conditions, floats up into the air.

Sulfur oxidizing bacteria on the concrete walls of the sewer catch the H2S and turn it into sulfuric acid.

That sulfuric acid then reacts with the calcium carbonate (lime) in the concrete.

The acid neutralizing capacity (alkalinity) of the lime comes into play.

Sulfuric acid + calcium carbonate = calcium sulfate + carbon dioxide + water

Back to bubbling oxygen to prevent anaerobic generation of stink and such.

During dredging operations, anaerobic sediment is exposed to oxygen.

It often contains a lot of H2S that is released.

Dredging use to occasionally cause big fish kills.

Then they learned to use industrial scale injection of air bubbles in the process.

Rather than get fish kills, they get fish feeding frenzies.

Thank you again, Spongy Iris for bringing relevant information and knowledge that makes a valuable contribution to the discussion!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

It is toxic.

It's temporary.

Not long at all.

Very refreshing!

Thank you, Spongy Iris!

And another story...

22-03-2022 20:33
(21582)
sealover wrote:
So, if any of you start your own discussion threads, you will certainly meet some of our prolific local scumbags.
...deleted excess...

Spamming. Trolling. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

22-03-2022 20:36
(21582)
sealover wrote:

You cannot reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced.
sealover wrote:
Not most of it.

Most of the pyrite eroded off the mountains and washing down to the sea was not formed by bacteria.

It is the same chemical compound, formed by abiotic mechanisms in geochemical processes millions of years ago. It was in the rocks before erosion.

But walk around to the right part of the beach and you can find enormous crystals of pyrite formed in place by bacteria, during your lifetime.

Pyrite is everywhere you go, 'salted' throughout soil everywhere. Yes some is on the beach also.
sealover wrote:

What rising sea level? Did you know it's not possible to even measure the global sea level?

The Parrot Killer

RE: Inorganic Carbon versus Organic Carbon23-03-2022 19:31
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Inorganic Carbon versus Organic Carbon

Some of the important differences.

ORGANIC CARBON is in chemically reduced state.

INORGANIC CARBON is in a chemically oxidized state.

Organic carbon can yield energy by being oxidized.

Inorganic carbon cannot yield energy by being oxidized.

Inorganic carbon is a very weak oxidant. Ancient methanogens used to combine hydrogen gas with carbon dioxide to generate methane, water, and a very small amount of energy.

Organic carbon is a weaker reductant than many others in nature, such as hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, and other reduced forms of sulfur. If stronger reductants than organic carbon are available in the presence of oxygen, microorganisms that use the stronger reductants have a competitive advantage.

Such as the sulfur oxidizers who competed to get the oxygen from ancient cyanobacteria in a time when oxygen was a coveted and limited resource.
Sulfur oxidation yielded so much more energy than carbon oxidation, the carbon oxidizers didn't have a chance until the sulfur ran out.

Inorganic carbon oxyanions bicarbonate and carbonate provide the vast majority of alkalinity in the sea.

Organic carbon anions of deprotonated organic acids (citrate, acetate, etc.) provide more of the sea's alkalinity than previously recognized.

ORGANIC ALKALINITY can be one fourth of the total alkalinity in submarine groundwater discharge from wetlands.

As for use of quotes for Ignoramus, Parrot Boy ran out of original stuff weeks ago.

All Parrot Boy does is parrot. No science. No argument. Fallacies X, Y, Z..

Parrot Boy gets no more attention unless he can think of something new.

I BE DUMB is still coming through with gems here and there. Scientific sounding words that can be used for science lessons.

I BE DUMB has yet to display if he ever got the alkalinity thing.

I suspect he never will because it turns out he doesn't know what pH is either!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:
seal over wrote:Alkalinity and alkaline sound very similar but have little in common.

Don't they have everything in common, i.e. a certain ability to receive hydrogen ions?

... which is another way of expressing the solution's ability to receive hydrogen ions.

... which is to say that the solution can give hydrogen ions and can receive hydrogen ions.

... which is to say that a base solution can have a lesser ability to receive hydrogen ions.

RE: Thank you for sharing... NOT!23-03-2022 21:21
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Thank you for sharing... NOT!

So, what wisdom has been interjected into the discussion?

"You cannot reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced."

"Pyrite is everywhere you go, 'salted' throughout soil everywhere. Yes, some is on the beach also."

"What rising sea level? Did you know it's not possible to even measure the global sea level?"

I'm tired of trying to explain to you what sulfate reduction is. It's been weeks.

I don't know how the observation about pyrite being "salted" everywhere has anything to do with anything other than evading admission that earlier statements insisted that pyrite could not be oxidized to sulfuric acid, nor could it be formed by microorganisms via sulfate reduction because "you cannot reduce a sulfate."

So do you stand by ANY of your previous assertions? No sulfuric acid from pyrite oxidation? No pyrite formation via sulfate reduction?

And a hundred other absurd anti-scientific claims left here for the whole world to ridicule.

Was I supposed to concede defeat?

Are you just trying to teach me something? If so, it's not working.

Basically it is another demonstration that you are not teachable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

You cannot reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced.
sealover wrote:
Not most of it.

Pyrite is everywhere you go, 'salted' throughout soil everywhere. Yes some is on the beach also.
sealover wrote:

What rising sea level? Did you know it's not possible to even measure the global sea level?
23-03-2022 21:48
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Inorganic Carbon versus Organic Carbon

Some of the important differences.

ORGANIC CARBON is in chemically reduced state.

INORGANIC CARBON is in a chemically oxidized state.

Carbon is not organic. Carbon is carbon. It is no different than any other carbon.
sealover wrote:
Organic carbon can yield energy by being oxidized.
Inorganic carbon cannot yield energy by being oxidized.

Burning carbon produces carbon dioxide. People heat their homes and businesses that way, you know.
sealover wrote:
Inorganic carbon is a very weak oxidant.

Carbon is not oxygen.
sealover wrote:
Ancient methanogens used to combine hydrogen gas with carbon dioxide to generate methane, water, and a very small amount of energy.

Hydrogen gas combined with carbon is called a hydrocarbon. Hydrocarbons include methane and oil. Gasoline is a hydrocarbon. A small amount of energy, eh? Bacteria are not needed to make a hydrocarbon using carbon dioxide and hydrogen. All you need is heat, pressure, and an iron catalyst. Conditions that naturally occur underground. This is why oil and methane are renewable forms of energy.
sealover wrote:
Organic carbon is a weaker reductant than many others in nature, such as hydrogen, hydrogen sulfide, and other reduced forms of sulfur.

Carbon is not sulfur.
sealover wrote:
If stronger reductants than organic carbon

Carbon is not organic.
sealover wrote:
are available in the presence of oxygen, microorganisms that use the stronger reductants have a competitive advantage.

Buzzword fallacies. You still can't get your head wrapped around oxy-reduction reactions.
sealover wrote:
Such as the sulfur oxidizers who competed to get the oxygen from ancient cyanobacteria in a time when oxygen was a coveted and limited resource.

Sulfur is not an oxidizer. What bacteria conducts nuclear reactions?
sealover wrote:
Sulfur oxidation yielded so much more energy than carbon oxidation, the carbon oxidizers didn't have a chance until the sulfur ran out.

Carbon is not oxygen. Sulfur is not oxygen.
sealover wrote:
Inorganic carbon oxyanions bicarbonate and carbonate provide the vast majority of alkalinity in the sea.

Organic carbon anions of deprotonated organic acids (citrate, acetate, etc.) provide more of the sea's alkalinity than previously recognized.

ORGANIC ALKALINITY can be one fourth of the total alkalinity in submarine groundwater discharge from wetlands.

Buzzword fallacies.
sealover wrote:
As for use of quotes for Ignoramus, Parrot Boy ran out of original stuff weeks ago.

Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself.
sealover wrote:
All Parrot Boy does is parrot. No science. No argument. Fallacies X, Y, Z..

sealover wrote:
Parrot Boy gets no more attention unless he can think of something new.

It is you that is trying to get attention by puffing yourself up and using techno-gibber-babble.
sealover wrote:
I BE DUMB is still coming through with gems here and there. Scientific sounding words that can be used for science lessons.

You deny science.
sealover wrote:
I BE DUMB has yet to display if he ever got the alkalinity thing.

Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
I suspect he never will because it turns out he doesn't know what pH is either!

He does, and he explained it quite well to you. You just ignored it. Argument of the Stone fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

23-03-2022 21:53
(21582)
sealover wrote:

Ingrate.
sealover wrote:
So, what wisdom has been interjected into the discussion?

RQAA.
sealover wrote:
"You cannot reduce a sulfate. It's already reduced."

"Pyrite is everywhere you go, 'salted' throughout soil everywhere. Yes, some is on the beach also."

"What rising sea level? Did you know it's not possible to even measure the global sea level?"

Ingrate.
sealover wrote:
I'm tired of trying to explain to you what sulfate reduction is. It's been weeks.

sealover wrote:
I don't know how the observation about pyrite being "salted" everywhere has anything to do with anything other than evading admission that earlier statements insisted that pyrite could not be oxidized to sulfuric acid,

It can't. Pyrite in the presence of oxygen does nothing. Sulfuric acid contains no iron.
sealover wrote:
nor could it be formed by microorganisms via sulfate reduction because "you cannot reduce a sulfate."

You cannot reduce a sulfate.
sealover wrote:
So do you stand by ANY of your previous assertions? No sulfuric acid from pyrite oxidation? No pyrite formation via sulfate reduction?

RQAA.
sealover wrote:
And a hundred other absurd anti-scientific claims left here for the whole world to ridicule.

You are describing yourself again. Inversion fallacy.
sealover wrote:
Was I supposed to concede defeat?

You never will, apparently.
sealover wrote:
Are you just trying to teach me something? If so, it's not working.

Obviously.
sealover wrote:
Basically it is another demonstration that you are not teachable.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Natural Selection versus Sexual Selection - Ducks gang raping a corpse.23-03-2022 23:47
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Natural Selection versus Sexual Selection - Ducks were gang raping a corpse.

Half an hour ago I saw a horrifying thing. Nature isn't always pretty. But it reminded about an important topic to understand in evolution. The difference between NATURAL selection and SEXUAL selection in determining "fitness".

Not unusual for this time of year, bachelor ducks in the park were forcing themselves upon undefended females.

Not unusual for this time of year, the poor females were outnumbered.

But I had never seen them actually drown of the the females to death, and then continue the gang rape without missing a beat.

I remember reading about it among narwaals once. It sounded like it was just an accident that one of the males stabbed her with his tusk. But it seemed so weird that they kept trying to mate with her when she was dead.

I watched the ducks a little while ago. I'm sure that the drowning was no accident. I'm sure that the male was aware he was killing her. I'm sure that the other males who would later take turns knew that she was already dead.

So, what gives? How is a male going to maximize his reproductive success if he kills the female before she can lay any eggs of his progeny?

Without actually drowning her, the male duck rapist strategy actually makes sense in natural selection. He can't find a partner of his own anyway. If he forces himself on someone else's partner, someone can take care of his babies for him and he won't even have to help. There would be selective pressure to favor a "rape gene" carried on the Y chromosome in some populations.

A "rape-murder gene" doesn't seem like such a winner for reproductive success.

But the "fitness" imparted by a "rape gene" is only in regard to SEXUAL selection, rather than NATURAL selection. The two are not the same.

Fitness in NATURAL selection is the ability to survive long enough to have the potential to reproduce as much as possible. It doesn't matter if she eats you when its over (black widow, praying mantis), as long as you lived long enough to fertilize her eggs.

The salmon swimming upstream to certain death. It's okay as long as you make some babies before you die.

For the male salmon to have their jaws mutate into weapons with which to battle rivals for mates. Those jaws are now useless for hunting and eating if you were to ever go back to the see. It's okay as long as it helps you make babies before you die.

SEXUAL selection isn't always compatible with natural selection.

What if the only way to get a girl's attention is to be brightly colored?

Not very good for hiding from predators.

What if you must play a song to get her attention?

The predators can hear it too.

What if the only way to get her attention in a place like this is to flash some lights or go out in the open to do a dance?

The predators can see it too.

The features that give advantage in sexual selection may be a disadvantage for surviving long enough to even have the option.

And if the only way to impress the girls is for the boys to do battle with their horns. Bigger horns win the battles with other males, but not much else. Those big horns can be a huge disadvantage most of the time. But how else is a guy to win a partner?

Well, some of the males ducks seemed to find a short cut. You do not need to have any qualities to be attractive in sexual selection. She does not need to decide that you are the first choice she would prefer.

That one wasn't too hard to understand until I saw them gang raping the corpse today. That wasn't natural selection. That wasn't even sexual selection run amok. That was a violent sex crime, and reproductive success was not the motive.

Of course, Mother Nature gives us incentive to be willing to swim upstream to certain death in order to make whoopie. It sure does feel good when you do it.

It's supposed to make you feel good because it rewards you for maximizing your reproductive success. That's the only reason you got to be born in the first place. That's the only reason anyone else gets to be born in the future.

But there must be faulty wiring in the brain when you can feel the reward for maximizing reproductive success while gang raping a corpse. She CAN'T lay anybody's eggs now. She obviously dead. Why are they still fighting to take turns?

I've never seen that before with my own eyes. I never wanted to kill a duck before, but I am sure he knew he was killing her.

Nature isn't always pretty. Sexual selection CAN run amok.

I almost had the impression that duck was a sociopathic sexual sadist.

I wanted to grab a big rock and bash his freaking head in!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]IBdaMann wrote:[/b
24-03-2022 04:58
(14389)
seal over wrote:Natural Selection versus Sexual Selection

"sexual selection" is natural selection. It's included.

Maybe you need to start over.

seal over wrote:Ducks were gang raping a corpse.

Another valuable anecdote to make us stronger if it doesn't kill us.

RE: Oxygen Limitation - Evolution of Mitochondrial Symbiosis.24-03-2022 06:44
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Oxygen Limitation - Evolution of Mitochondrial Symbiosis.

When the first oxygenic photosynthetic cyanobacteria stumbled on to a way to generate hydrogen for reduction of inorganic carbon, using water as the source of hydrogen, it changed biology, ecology, and the very chemistry of the land, sea, and air.

Oxygenic photosynthesis generated oxygen gas, a powerful oxidant.

A whole new niche opened up for anyone who could grab the oxygen as soon as it came off, and use it oxidize some reductant from somewhere else.

One consequence were the layered fossils, NOT banded iron formations, showing the earliest adaptations.

Hydrogen sulfide was the second strongest reductant out there, after hydrogen.

Hydrogen sulfide was much heavier than hydrogen H2.

Big bursts of geologic activity could fill the atmosphere with hydrogen gas.

But the earth's gravity couldn't keep it on the planet very long.

After the hydrogen floated off to space, taking its reducing power and potential energy off with it, the heavy hydrogen sulfide remained as the next most powerful reductant.

The most profitable transaction out there for a bacteria was to get the oxygen from the cyanobacteria and use to oxidize hydrogen sulfide.

There were plenty of other reductants around to oxidize for whoever got the oxygen first. Especially organic carbon. There was tons of it EVERYWHERE.

It just didn't pay as well to use weaker reductants, with the oxygen.

The hydrogen sulfide oxidizing bacteria had a competitive advantage.

They formed a dense layer immediately below the photosynthetic bacteria at the surface.

When the sulfur oxidizing bacteria use oxygen as oxidant, it generates sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid, hydrogen sulfate, contains sulfate.

Sulfate is a divalent oxyanion that can be used to oxidize organic carbon during sulfate reduction.

Top layer. Cyanobacteria making oxygen oxidant.

Middle layer. Sulfur oxidizing bacteria making sulfate oxidant.

Bottom layer. Sulfate reducing bacteria turn organic carbon to inorganic carbon oxyanion.

The chemistry of the fossil is consistent with the three layers of microbial communities.

We'll get back to mitochondria tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:

"sexual selection" is natural selection. It's included.

Maybe you need to start over.

seal over wrote:Ducks were gang raping a corpse.

Another valuable anecdote to make us stronger if it doesn't kill us.
24-03-2022 07:08
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Animals aren't bound to human morals. They just get the need to breed, and only care about planting the seed. They can always find a new mate, and produce more seed. Eventually, they succeed.

Humans are a much stranger species though. Liberals keep pushing gender as a choice, and sexual preferences, that obviously can't possibly bear offspring. They can't help themselves, they were born that way, it's genetic. Counter-intuitive, since if it were genetic, breeding must take place, to pass on the gay-genes. The gay genes would be bred out of the pool over time, not increase in popularity. Yet liberals promote non-reproductive lifestyle choices, as normal... Fortunately, it also means fewer liberals reproduce as well.

Those weren't exactly wild ducks, so why expect them to behavior normally? Most animals stick around, when they find a safe place, that provides all the basic essentials for survival. Parks are great places, humans protect them, and provide and abundance of food. The male ducks have little else to do, but feed and breed, so they show up most often for the free meals. Female ducks that show up, provide for the male duck's other need. The park only is concern about the number of ducks, not the gender ratio.

Humans create a lot of these disturbing animal behaviors and tragedies, but never consider themselves to blame. People move to Florida, who don't really know much about wildlife, or nature. Their only experience is zoos and parks the grew up with in those big, rat infested, shithole cities. They think it's okay to feed everything. Really cool to get them to come right in their front yard for the free meals. Not all of them are quick enough crossing the roads. Gators have a huge appetite, seldom sated by handouts, but better than nothing. The stick around, snack on the neighborhood pets. Sometimes the owners get bit, trying to rescue 'Fluffy', then the gator gets trapped and killed. Black bears eat pretty much anything, and always hungry for more. Knocking over trash cans, for a snack. Mostly, homeowners and pets get attacked for being a nuisance to the bears, not for food.

People do more harm, with their 'good' intentions. Climate Change is the same deal. They thing they are doing a 'good' thing, protecting and preserving. But, they are going to do great damage, and harm in the process, accomplishing nothing.
RE: Irony is Lost on the Ignorant24-03-2022 08:22
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Irony is Lost on the Ignorant

What if someone comes to this website for the specific purpose of learning about biogeochemistry in the context of climate change and ocean acidification?

What if most of them have at least one degree in chemistry and they understand every gibber babble buzzword we already agreed on.

What if these post are dyslexic first drafts without any notes for reference, without any search engine assists, just off the top of my head to try to clarify some point of biogeochemistry?

What if biogeochemistry is a REAL THING THAT SMART PEOPLE UNDERSTAND?

The ones that read the things you have written will know EXACTLY WHY you make the PERFECT IGNORAMUS. Plus, you're a bully who deserves to suffer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:

RE: Organic Alkalinity - Carboxylic and Phenolic functional groups on organic acids.24-03-2022 09:13
sealover
★★★★☆
(1239)
Organic Alkalinity - Carboxylic and Phenolic groups on organic acids.

Historically, organic alkalinity was not recognized as an important component in the alkalinity of the ocean.

It was known that oxyanions of deprotonated organic acid existed.

It was known that they contributed acid neutralizing capacity (alkalinity).

Few people had any idea how much of them there was in sea water, and how important this unique "pool" of alkalinity is.

Most alkalinity in sea water arises from phenol carboxylic acids, such as "humic" acids.

These are often large molecules that act as polydentate ligands with multiple binding sites provided by carboxylic and phenolic functional groups.

Carboxylic acids are the most familiar organic acids. Vinegar, citric acid, vitamin C, lactic acid. They all have a carboxylic group. A carbon double bonded to one oxygen, and single bonded to a second oxygen in a hydroxyl (-OH) group.

Carboxylic acids typically have pKa in the ballpark of 4.5. This means that at near pH 4.5, they are half deprotonated and half in acid form.

The alkalinity of organic acid buffers can be calculated knowing the pH of the solution and the pKa of the organic acid.

One thing that organic carbon alkalinity can do that inorganic carbon alkalinity cannot is to form organometallic complexes with transition metals such as iron.

Often tightly bound as inner sphere chelation complexes, organic anions are a major controller on the behavior of metals in solution.

Organic alkalinity is finally getting the attention it deserves in the new research.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:
Oh, oh, ... pick me, pick me ... are they measuring the sadness of the loss of a coral reef?

Page 3 of 9<12345>>>

Join the debate Geoengineering to Neutralize Ocean Acidification:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Restoring Alkalinity to the Ocean40520-12-2023 09:14
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Californicators attempt ocean climate solution121-04-2023 18:18
Climate Change and Ocean Acidification Science - how to find "sealover" posts1318-08-2022 06:25
CO2 ocean uptake30622-02-2021 04:08
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact