Remember me
▼ Content

From ice core analysis to temperature curves

Page 3 of 7<12345>>>
24-07-2021 14:17
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
The Russian river in California flows south through the State.I am familar with this river as every single rainbow trout in Australia was imported from this river as the climate in California is similar to the southern parts of Australia and the fish were more heat tolerant than fish from say Iceland.If this river has been dammed a few times for water supply with no fish ladders they will not reproduce.We now export roe back to the origional suppliers as our trout have become even more heat tolerant from adapting to our conditions.Every brown trout in our rivers came over in the mid 1800s from England.No Salmonidae species will every go extinct as there are hatcheries all over the world producing fish and you just fill up the water cart and tip them in where needed
24-07-2021 17:00
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
deleted post, did a partial reply.
Edited on 24-07-2021 17:03
24-07-2021 17:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote:If light slows because it is reflected off of a mirror, it is refracted.

You are repeating yourself. I have already answered this once.

Reflection does not reduce the speed of light.

James___ wrote:The mirror is a prism.

No mirror is a prism if it is a mirror. No prism is a mirror if it is a prism.

Once again, reflection occurs off a surface while refraction occurs through a medium.

James___ wrote:And any surface that reflects light is absorbing some of it.

Absolutely none of the reflected light is absorbed.

The speed of light does slow when being absorbed and then emitted by a mirror. How a mirror is made.

Considering the near-magical function mirrors perform, their construction is surprisingly simple. Most household mirrors are made of glass with a thin layer of metal backing (usually aluminum), and several layers of paint. It turns out glass isn't the most important component of a looking glass. Instead, the glass surface of a mirror performs a predominantly protective function, preserving the extremely thin, extremely smooth layer of metal behind it. Light passes through the glass part of the mirror and is reflected by the metal. The layer of paint at the back of the mirror serves a similar protective function, keeping the metal in place.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/74633/how-do-mirrors-work

With a mirror, its surfaces are parallel and what you call a prism can be the same glass but with it being an isosceles triangle shape instead. It's not a prism because of its shape but because it slows light moving through it.
And with an isosceles shape prism, the light is in the prism for different lengths of time. With a mirror, the light is in the prism for the same amount of time. As a result, its change in wavelength will be proportional.
24-07-2021 18:43
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21592)
duncan61 wrote:
The Russian river in California flows south through the State.I am familar with this river as every single rainbow trout in Australia was imported from this river as the climate in California is similar to the southern parts of Australia and the fish were more heat tolerant than fish from say Iceland.If this river has been dammed a few times for water supply with no fish ladders they will not reproduce.We now export roe back to the origional suppliers as our trout have become even more heat tolerant from adapting to our conditions.Every brown trout in our rivers came over in the mid 1800s from England.No Salmonidae species will every go extinct as there are hatcheries all over the world producing fish and you just fill up the water cart and tip them in where needed

I am not talking about damming the Russian river.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
24-07-2021 18:46
(21592)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote:If light slows because it is reflected off of a mirror, it is refracted.

You are repeating yourself. I have already answered this once.

Reflection does not reduce the speed of light.

James___ wrote:The mirror is a prism.

No mirror is a prism if it is a mirror. No prism is a mirror if it is a prism.

Once again, reflection occurs off a surface while refraction occurs through a medium.

James___ wrote:And any surface that reflects light is absorbing some of it.

Absolutely none of the reflected light is absorbed.

The speed of light does slow when being absorbed and then emitted by a mirror. How a mirror is made.

A photon that is absorbed is DESTROYED. It has no speed anymore. There is nothing to re-emit. Reflection does not change the speed of light.

James___ wrote:
Considering the near-magical function mirrors perform, their construction is surprisingly simple. Most household mirrors are made of glass with a thin layer of metal backing (usually aluminum), and several layers of paint. It turns out glass isn't the most important component of a looking glass. Instead, the glass surface of a mirror performs a predominantly protective function, preserving the extremely thin, extremely smooth layer of metal behind it. Light passes through the glass part of the mirror and is reflected by the metal. The layer of paint at the back of the mirror serves a similar protective function, keeping the metal in place.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/74633/how-do-mirrors-work

With a mirror, its surfaces are parallel and what you call a prism can be the same glass but with it being an isosceles triangle shape instead. It's not a prism because of its shape but because it slows light moving through it.
And with an isosceles shape prism, the light is in the prism for different lengths of time. With a mirror, the light is in the prism for the same amount of time. As a result, its change in wavelength will be proportional.

No light changes it's frequency in a prism or a mirror.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
24-07-2021 19:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:

Someone on quora.com was trying to say Darwin vs. creationism and I mentioned that some animals like you've mentioned can adapt rather quickly. Basically adaptation does not prove nor disprove either argument.
Myself, I'm more of an environmentalist/sustainability kind of person. Kind of where science should allow for man and animal/insect, etc. Some people like places like New York and Los Angeles but I'm not one of them.
24-07-2021 19:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
duncan61 wrote:

Most every living thing has the capacity to adapt to a new environment. The problem is that they don't make the change at the snap of the fingers, takes time, like a few generations. Gradual changes in environment are easier to adapt to, and fewer fatalities. You buy fish at the pet store, they suggest you float the bag in the tank for a while, before dumping them in. The water temperature in the bag, is going to be a lot different than the tank, in most cases. Floating the bag, lets the temperatures equalize some, gradually. Less initial shock.

Environment, is more than climate. The fish (or animal) needs food and shelter. If there isn't enough food all year, they tend to die. If they can't escape other critters, they are just an easy meal.
25-07-2021 00:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Environment, is more than climate. The fish (or animal) needs food and shelter. If there isn't enough food all year, they tend to die. If they can't escape other critters, they are just an easy meal.

Kind of why over the last few decades putting out forest fires helped to create the current conditions. Trees need water and when there are too many, the land suffers. Also as you pointed out, small animals need underbrush which an overgrown forest might not provide.
With fish, they need to be able to make it to their spawning ground. On the way there they provide food to help support the ecosystem as well as fertilizer which also helps to support it.
Just think, select harvesting of timber along with cogeneration power plants might actually be good for the environment. At the same time it would also create jobs while helping smaller animals of prey.
25-07-2021 03:47
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Into the Night wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

I am not talking about damming the Russian river.

Too late
The Russian River drains the sparsely populated, forested coastal area that stretches from San Francisco to the Oregon border. Along the Russian, federally funded dams have created Lake Mendocino (at the Coyote Dam) and Lake Sonoma (Warm Springs Dam).

duncan61
25-07-2021 04:11
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
Pictures of Lakes Oroville in June 2019 and now. Can't be sure if anything is happening.

You do realize CA is experiencing a drought now?

You even said earlier farmers are leaving the state.

The drought is self inflicted. The SOTC does not bother to collect water.

All those huge dams, the biggest being Hoover, collecting water for the west, might be a cause of the drought...

'Red alert': Lake Mead falls to lowest water level since Hoover Dam's construction in 1930s

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7640437002

25-07-2021 04:24
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

Spongy Iris wrote:But radiation travels very slow in comparison.

Light is electromagnetic radiation. Light and radiation are not separate/different.

Spongy Iris wrote:Glass slows down radiation (increases wave length).

Nope. Glass simply slows down light without altering the wavelength. This is why we refer to the speed of light "in a vacuum" because other mediums have differing light speeds.

Spongy Iris wrote:Try this, walk around outside at high noon, or stand still. Standing still will make the sun burn worse than moving around.

Nope. What makes you think you have the capability to compare the two anyway?

If I'm driving my car, and the window is open, and the sunlight is hitting my arm, I can decrease the radiation hitting my arm by rolling up the window.

Isn't that increasing its wavelength? Such as this...

Shortwave radiation absorbed by the surface can be transformed into longwave radiation. This is what's happening when asphalt feels hot on a sunny day.

Also... Your eyes detect solar radiation most acutely. Try staring at the sun in motion and standing still. You will have more tolerance for the great light, when you're in motion, than when still.

I don't think visible light and radiation are the same thing. Sun shine doesn't appear any brighter at noon than 9 a.m. But sun shine feels a lot hotter at noon than 9 a.m.

25-07-2021 04:31
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And in the mid to late 1940's warming stopped. Why Lake Mead had a higher elevation in the 1930's. There was a better snow pack on the mountains.
25-07-2021 04:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:

I don't think visible light and radiation are the same thing. Sun shine doesn't appear any brighter at noon than 9 a.m. But sun shine feels a lot hotter at noon than 9 a.m.

I've been drinking Kentucky something. All radiation is the same thing because matter is composed of electromagnetic radiation. Whether it's a photon of light or heat from something, it is all electromagnetic radiation.
lambda = h/mv if drunk states that. ie., wavelength = Planck's constant divided by mass times velocity.
Surely the sober minds in this forum can explain that to you. If not, then they need a drink or 3. Their sobriety isn't helping them.
25-07-2021 05:20
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Have been drinking, okay? Frequency is lambda. Just too basic. If Planck's constant is divided by mass times velocity then we have our answer.
This actually gets into the mass of a wavelength because a prism slows C relative to the speed of light. Just basic physics and time for anothe rdrink....it was good, right? What do you guys not understand about quantum mechanics?
25-07-2021 05:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Newton hated Kepler. Yet without Kepler, there is no Newton. Basic science.

a freebie, Kepler was an astronomer. Newton was a mathematician. Newton's work was based on Kepler's observations. If you're familiar with science then you know this.
Really hate stating the obvious.
Edited on 25-07-2021 05:35
25-07-2021 09:03
(5196)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Light is electromagnetic radiation. Light and radiation are not separate/different.

Nope. Glass simply slows down light without altering the wavelength. This is why we refer to the speed of light "in a vacuum" because other mediums have differing light speeds.

Spongy Iris wrote:Try this, walk around outside at high noon, or stand still. Standing still will make the sun burn worse than moving around.

If I'm driving my car, and the window is open, and the sunlight is hitting my arm, I can decrease the radiation hitting my arm by rolling up the window.

Shortwave radiation absorbed by the surface can be transformed into longwave radiation. This is what's happening when asphalt feels hot on a sunny day.

Also... Your eyes detect solar radiation most acutely. Try staring at the sun in motion and standing still. You will have more tolerance for the great light, when you're in motion, than when still.

You do realize that auto glass has been tinted for quite some time now... The tint helps reduce glare, and UV damage to your interior... This is in the glass, not the add-on film tint, you pay extra for.
25-07-2021 19:11
(21592)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
Pictures of Lakes Oroville in June 2019 and now. Can't be sure if anything is happening.

All those huge dams, the biggest being Hoover, collecting water for the west, might be a cause of the drought...

'Red alert': Lake Mead falls to lowest water level since Hoover Dam's construction in 1930s

Lake Mead isn't in the SOTC. The reason it is low now is because of water use allocated upstream.

The Parrot Killer

25-07-2021 19:21
(21592)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

No. It is filtering out some wavelengths.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Shortwave radiation absorbed by the surface can be transformed into longwave radiation.

Absorption of a photon DESTROYS the photon. It doesn't transform it. It destroys it.
Spongy Iris wrote:
This is what's happening when asphalt feels hot on a sunny day.

EVERYTHING also radiates light according to it's temperature, not just asphalt on a sunny day.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Also... Your eyes detect solar radiation most acutely.

Not really. They only detect a tiny set of frequencies out of those put out by the Sun.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Try staring at the sun in motion and standing still.

Don't. You will ruin your eyes.
Spongy Iris wrote:
You will have more tolerance for the great light, when you're in motion, than when still.

Don't stare at the Sun. You will ruin your eyes.
Spongy Iris wrote:
I don't think visible light and radiation are the same thing.

Light is electromagnetic energy. You cannot see most of it.
Radiation is a description of vectors. As used in this conversation it is also referring to the way light radiates from the Sun.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Sun shine doesn't appear any brighter at noon than 9 a.m.

Yes it does. There is less atmosphere for it to shine through at noon. The sunrise is red looking and 'darker' because the angle of it means there is more atmosphere to travel through.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But sun shine feels a lot hotter at noon than 9 a.m.

There is still plenty of UVA and UVB in it too. UVB light gets filtered out more and more, being at pretty safe levels in tropic and equatorial areas by 2pm or so. It takes time to build up the ozone layer each day.

The Parrot Killer

25-07-2021 19:35
(21592)
James___ wrote:
And in the mid to late 1940's warming stopped. Why Lake Mead had a higher elevation in the 1930's. There was a better snow pack on the mountains.

Same snow pack in general. More water is used upstream, according to the Colorado River compact. The problem is overuse of the water, not lack of snow pack.

The Parrot Killer

25-07-2021 19:38
(21592)
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

I've been drinking Kentucky something.

Apparentlyh.
James___ wrote:
All radiation is the same thing because matter is composed of electromagnetic radiation.

Nope. Matter is not light.
James___ wrote:
Whether it's a photon of light or heat from something, it is all electromagnetic radiation.

Light is not heat.
James___ wrote:
...deleted random equation...
Surely the sober minds in this forum can explain that to you. If not, then they need a drink or 3. Their sobriety isn't helping them.

I'll stay sober. You got ahold of too much bourbon.

The Parrot Killer

26-07-2021 16:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:
All radiation is the same thing because matter is composed of electromagnetic radiation.

When nuclear fission was first observed, E = MC^2 quantified the energy/mass released by the radioactive material. And since E = hv as well, the difference in mass was equal to the energy emitted.

p.s., radioactive decay or the half life of matter is based on how much E = MC^2
is emitted over what period of time. Kind of how gold becomes lead.

Edited on 26-07-2021 16:38
26-07-2021 18:40
(21592)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

When nuclear fission was first observed, E = MC^2 quantified the energy/mass released by the radioactive material. And since E = hv as well, the difference in mass was equal to the energy emitted.

p.s., radioactive decay or the half life of matter is based on how much E = MC^2

Misquoting Einstein still does not make matter light.

The Parrot Killer

26-07-2021 22:28
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

Misquoting Einstein still does not make matter light.

Let's see, heat "is", light "is", matter "is". They are all the same thing.
27-07-2021 02:07
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And for you ITN, we now know that if something "is", it's electromagnetic radiation. I will let you say that high energy particle physics or better known by its common name, plasma physics is the 5th state of matter. Yet if it "is", then everything is nothing more than a different expression of the same thing of what "is".

p.s, I'm trying to meet you half way so work with me here, okay?

Oops, plasma is the 4th state of matter. Solid, liquid, gas and plasma. Yet wave energy exists. I think definitions have changed to be p.c. After all, what defines matter? That it can be observed?
Edited on 27-07-2021 03:06
27-07-2021 03:03
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
[quote][b]

Not really. They only detect a tiny set of frequencies out of those put out by the Sun.

Don't stare at the Sun. You will ruin your eyes.

Light is electromagnetic energy. You cannot see most of it.
Radiation is a description of vectors. As used in this conversation it is also referring to the way light radiates from the Sun.

Yes it does. There is less atmosphere for it to shine through at noon. The sunrise is red looking and 'darker' because the angle of it means there is more atmosphere to travel through.

There is still plenty of UVA and UVB in it too. UVB light gets filtered out more and more, being at pretty safe levels in tropic and equatorial areas by 2pm or so. It takes time to build up the ozone layer each day.

Your eyes can feel the radiation from the sun better than your skin can. The skin on your head and face
is also more sensitive to it than the skin on your hands.

Staring at the sun hasn't ruined my eyes.

The sky is not usually red at 9 a.m. In July, at 38 degrees N, the sun is already pretty high in the sky at 9 a.m. As a result, no red sky.

Since you fly a lot you can probably put my points to the test better than me.

30,000 feet up there is not very much atmosphere for the sun to pass through.

Around 38 degrees N, in Dec, when on land, even direct sun radiation is not enough to cause glass on a car to reach an intense temperature, like it could in June.

But when flying 30,000 feet, with a much thinner atmosphere, in Dec, sun radiation, at high noon is enough to heat up the plane windows to an intense temperature.

Since there is not much atmosphere at 30,000 feet, in Dec , say around 40 degrees N, the sun hitting the side of your face through the plane window, must feel no different at noon than it does at 9 a.m. right?

27-07-2021 03:06
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

Lake Mead isn't in the SOTC. The reason it is low now is because of water use allocated upstream.

California is supplied water by lake Mead

27-07-2021 03:09
(1643)
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

I've been drinking Kentucky something. All radiation is the same thing because matter is composed of electromagnetic radiation. Whether it's a photon of light or heat from something, it is all electromagnetic radiation.
lambda = h/mv if drunk states that. ie., wavelength = Planck's constant divided by mass times velocity.

I don't think visible light qualifies as radiation.

27-07-2021 04:26
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Screw science.
Edited on 27-07-2021 05:17
27-07-2021 05:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
deleted post. Science doesn't matter.
Edited on 27-07-2021 06:06
27-07-2021 06:48
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14395)

Spongy Iris wrote:I don't think visible light qualifies as radiation.

This was a totally stupid thing to write.

Visible light is electromagnetic radiation.

Might you be conflating "radiation" with "radioactivity"?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
27-07-2021 06:50
(14395)

Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:Lake Mead isn't in the SOTC. The reason it is low now is because of water use allocated upstream.
California is supplied water by lake Mead

Lake Mead itself is still not in California.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
27-07-2021 17:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

I don't think visible light qualifies as radiation.

I think it might be called radiation because it is emitted from something. It might be called electromagnetic because lines of magnetism are composed of photons. Even radio or microwaves are composed of photons. Kind of why E = hv. And that also describes a photon.
27-07-2021 17:31
(14395)

James___ wrote:I think it might be called radiation because it is emitted from something.

It is called radiation because something radiates it. It is the radiation of whatever is doing the radiating.

Do you see how that works?

James___ wrote: It might be called electromagnetic because lines of magnetism are composed of photons.

It is called "electromagnetic" because of its relationship to electrical energy and to magnetism.

When a rock guitarist is jamming, he has magnets at both ends of his process, i.e. the guitar's pickups and the amp's cone. The guitarist skillfully interferes in the pickups' magnetic fields, generating electrical voltages that create interference with the amp's magnet causing it to push and tug on the amp's cone in a very pleasing way.

27-07-2021 19:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote:I think it might be called radiation because it is emitted from something.

It is called radiation because something radiates it. It is the radiation of whatever is doing the radiating.

James___ wrote: It might be called electromagnetic because lines of magnetism are composed of photons.

It is called "electromagnetic" because of its relationship to electrical energy and to magnetism.

When a rock guitarist is jamming, he has magnets at both ends of his process, i.e. the guitar's pickups and the amp's cone. The guitarist skillfully interferes in the pickups' magnetic fields, generating electrical voltages that create interference with the amp's magnet causing it to push and tug on the amp's cone in a very pleasing way.

Have you ever heard the story of how Les Paul invented the guitar? It's pretty well known.
As for why something is called radiation might be because it has a charge. Even a neutrino that is observed might be considered radiation because of its charge.
Just a basic fundamental quality of energy.

Back to Les Paul. Railroad tracks and a window. His phonograph and the music he heard from it. He used the needle from his record player as a pick up on his guitar and played it through his phonograph.
With the railroad tracks, when a train went by, his window would rattle. He asked someone about this and said that whenever the trucks on the train crossed a gap in the rails, it sent waves of energy through the ground which his window made known. And that the needle on his phonograph vibrated and changed the electrical signal that it sent to the speakers.
Isn't it interesting that something like a needle can convert sound waves into electrical impulses and then have that sound reproduced in a pleasing manor?
Still, sound waves are not radiation. The signal from the pick up to the amp is electromagnetic radiation because of its properties.
27-07-2021 19:57
(5196)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Have you ever heard the story of how Les Paul invented the guitar? It's pretty well known.
As for why something is called radiation might be because it has a charge. Even a neutrino that is observed might be considered radiation because of its charge.
Just a basic fundamental quality of energy.

Back to Les Paul. Railroad tracks and a window. His phonograph and the music he heard from it. He used the needle from his record player as a pick up on his guitar and played it through his phonograph.
With the railroad tracks, when a train went by, his window would rattle. He asked someone about this and said that whenever the trucks on the train crossed a gap in the rails, it sent waves of energy through the ground which his window made known. And that the needle on his phonograph vibrated and changed the electrical signal that it sent to the speakers.
Isn't it interesting that something like a needle can convert sound waves into electrical impulses and then have that sound reproduced in a pleasing manor?
Still, sound waves are not radiation. The signal from the pick up to the amp is electromagnetic radiation because of its properties.

Les Paul didn't invent the guitar, they were around long before he was even born... Edison Labs was credited with using a needle as a pickup for the phonograph. Edison obviously just commercialized the work of others, took the money, and the credit. Acoustic guitars aren't particularly loud. Using a microphone to amplify the sound, was loss, and not ideal. Les Paul invented the electric guitar, picking up the string vibrations directly. It went well beyond what you could hear from an acoustic. If you don't have a service related disability.
27-07-2021 20:02
(14395)
James___ wrote: As for why something is called radiation might be because it has a charge.

Having a charge is a characteristic of certain matter. Electromagnetic radiation is not matter.

James___ wrote:Have you ever heard the story of how Les Paul invented the [electric] guitar?

The Christian account of God creating the universe is another example of a similarly major event.

James___ wrote: Isn't it interesting that something like a needle can convert sound waves into electrical impulses and then have that sound reproduced in a pleasing manor?

That's where magnets (and magnetic fields) come in. Metal can disrupt a magnetic field. Sound waves running through metal can vibrate the metal which causes disruptions in the magnetic field. The disruptions in the magnetic field generate corresponding voltage changes. The voltage changes can generate disruptions in a magnetic field. The disruptions in a magnetic field can cause metal to vibrate in a manner replicating the original sound waves in question.

James___ wrote: Still, sound waves are not radiation.

Correct. That's why we don't say "sound radiation."

27-07-2021 21:26
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote: Isn't it interesting that something like a needle can convert sound waves into electrical impulses and then have that sound reproduced in a pleasing manor?

That's where magnets (and magnetic fields) come in. Metal can disrupt a magnetic field. Sound waves running through metal can vibrate the metal which causes disruptions in the magnetic field. The disruptions in the magnetic field generate corresponding voltage changes. The voltage changes can generate disruptions in a magnetic field. The disruptions in a magnetic field can cause metal to vibrate in a manner replicating the original sound waves in question.

You got that wrong.
A needle on a phonograph bounces up and down. This changes the relationship between a magnet and a coil. Then at the speaker, that magnet and coil reverse the motion to radiate sound.
Depending on the design, either the magnet or the coil will move. This converts the potential of the current running through the coil. Basically it can change the Hz of the current. And when you listen to a record, just consider how many different sound waves you are hearing.
This means that when you're listening to music, there are small gaps in it. But with how fast electrons flow at about 2,200 kps, that gives a potential 2,200 different signals per second.
28-07-2021 01:13
(14395)
James___ wrote:You got that wrong.
A needle on a phonograph bounces up and down. This changes the relationship between a magnet and a coil.

Why are you needling me? Are you trying to get in one final jab? I already got your point. I see that you're a sharp guy who injects himself into the conversation when it needs a booster but you're getting under my skin.

28-07-2021 04:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:You got that wrong.
A needle on a phonograph bounces up and down. This changes the relationship between a magnet and a coil.

Why are you needling me? Are you trying to get in one final jab? I already got your point. I see that you're a sharp guy who injects himself into the conversation when it needs a booster but you're getting under my skin.

/quote]

And this week I'll be using my new sewing machine. I have one project to start working on. Hopefully it can sew 2 - 1/8 inch thick neoprene together. If not then I'll have to hand stitch it. Also have a pair of jeans with a tear. I'll just use some material from a pair that's not worth wearing.
I just wonder how many "beats" per second I'll get out of needling you?
Attached image:

28-07-2021 05:55
(14395)
James___ wrote: I just wonder how many "beats" per second I'll get out of needling you?

I'm just one man with a front and a back ... so you'll need to keep up with 45 rpm.

Page 3 of 7<12345>>>

Join the debate From ice core analysis to temperature curves:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Can we trust the satellite and surface-based temperature records?123-04-2024 16:21
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
Articles
Analysis - Explaining China's Climate Policy
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact