Page 2 of 7<1234>>>
22-07-2021 17:59
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
James___ wrote:
Pictures of Lakes Oroville in June 2019 and now. Can't be sure if anything is happening.

In 2019, there had been 3 solid rainy seasons in CA.

But that was after maybe almost 10 years of drought since 2006.

In 2019, lots of pundits started declaring an end to the drought. But past 2 years looks like the drought is back with a vengeance.

I love the desert weather. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. We're not out of water... yet...

I sometimes feel sorry for these guys. They just don't understanding how interesting the Earth is. I've known for a while that we need to improve desalination. Economies can adapt.
From a scientific perspective, as water tables drop in the West, outgoing solar radiation has a longer wave length. This keep it in the atmosphere longer. And this in turn increases the "greenhouse effect". But these guys don't know enough about science to understand that.

p.s., when I lived in Mesa (a suburb of Phoenix) I used to go for rides on my 10 speed bike out into the desert all the time. I really did enjoy it. It was actually quite relaxing.

Yeah, democrat science, is simply consensus. With the proper marketing an politics, pretty much any stupid thing, can be accepted science. Actual science isn't what's popular, trendy, or requires faith.

Quite accurate. Democrats are all about describing 'consensus' (even where there isn't any!) and using supporting evidence as a 'proof'. This is not science. This is religion. Only religions do this. Only fundamentalists try to prove a religion is True.

Science is just a set of falsifiable theories. There are no people, no voting blocs, no use of supporting evidence. It is just the theories themselves.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-07-2021 19:08
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
Pictures of Lakes Oroville in June 2019 and now. Can't be sure if anything is happening.

Does everyone here forget that clouds forming from evaporation over the Pacific, moving over the land and raining or snowing IS desalination?

Looks like that's not happening as much as it usually does around Lake Oroville

22-07-2021 19:12
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

There is no such thing as 'outgoing solar radiation' from Earth. Earth is not the Sun.
Frequency does not change the speed of light.

You deny science.

When the Sun reflects off the ocean, what do you call that?

22-07-2021 19:14
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

The cause is not climate change (whatever THAT is!). It's simply that the SOTC doesn't collect the water it gets.

Do you propose a new method for California to collect more water?

22-07-2021 19:22
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

The cause is not climate change (whatever THAT is!). It's simply that the SOTC doesn't collect the water it gets.

Yes. Start collecting some water.

22-07-2021 19:59
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

Quite giving them such generous disaster relief money, for being lazy stupid humans. Invest in building lakes and reservoirs.
22-07-2021 20:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

There are a couple of things that could be tried to improve desalination. One is based in chemistry while the other is a better solar panel. If heat can be efficiently removed from steam, then that heat could be used to heat salty water. Basically it would be flashing salt water into steam. And because heat will flow from hot to cold, a radiator could be used to transfer some heat.
Of course, if a green energy source allowed for water to be converted into oxygen and hydrogen, then when it gives off heat to become water again, it could generate some energy.
Of course with making hydrogen and oxygen, the salt wouldn't become a gas and this requires adding 2 electrons per water molecule for water to become hydrogen and oxygen elements. What makes things economically feasible is not needing new energy to be developed. So would need to consider how much energy is lost in any process.
Edited on 22-07-2021 20:41
22-07-2021 22:57
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14411)

Spongy Iris wrote:When the Sun reflects off the ocean, what do you call that?

That is solar radiation, outgoing from the sun.

At some point it might be "absorbed" and converted to thermal energy by some body of matter. At that point the energy will cease to be solar radiation.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-07-2021 03:14
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

There is no such thing as 'outgoing solar radiation' from Earth. Earth is not the Sun.

You deny science.

Refracted;
The electromagnetic waves constituting light are refracted when crossing the boundary from one transparent medium to another because of their change in speed. https://www.britannica.com/science/refraction

When solar radiation is reflected,
Solar radiation reflection
Reflection of solar radiation occurs when the radiation is sent directly backward from a surface.
http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/earth-energy-balance.php

When reflected light has it's wavelength lengthened, it moves slower away from the body that reflected it. This constitute both refraction and reflection as a part of the energy is absorbed and a change in velocity is observed.
Sadly, ITN and Friends do not accept science.
23-07-2021 10:52
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

Does everyone here forget that clouds forming from evaporation over the Pacific, moving over the land and raining or snowing IS desalination?

Looks like that's not happening as much as it usually does around Lake Oroville

Actually it is. The images are timed between wet and dry seasons to make it look like the lake is drying up, but it's not.

The same kind of parlor trick is used to convince people that glaciers are melting.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-07-2021 10:53
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

You deny science.

Reflection. Not solar radiation.

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2021 10:54
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

None needed. They use to collect sufficient water. Now they no longer do. The removed and destroyed dams and reservoirs.

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2021 10:59
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

You deny science.

Refracted;

Reflection is not refraction.
James___ wrote:
The electromagnetic waves constituting light are refracted when crossing the boundary from one transparent medium to another because of their change in speed. https://www.britannica.com/science/refraction

James___ wrote:
When solar radiation is reflected,
Solar radiation reflection
Reflection of solar radiation occurs when the radiation is sent directly backward from a surface.
http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/earth-energy-balance.php

When reflected light has it's wavelength lengthened,

Reflection does not change the frequency of light.
James___ wrote:
it moves slower away from the body that reflected it.

James___ wrote:
This constitute both refraction and reflection as a part of the energy is absorbed and a change in velocity is observed.

James___ wrote:

Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself.

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2021 17:01
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

If light moves slower through the atmosphere as a result of having been reflected by a mirror then it is also refracted. Don't be a science denier.
23-07-2021 17:13
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

Actually it is. The images are timed between wet and dry seasons to make it look like the lake is drying up, but it's not.

The same kind of parlor trick is used to convince people that glaciers are melting.

Both pictures were in June, 2019 and 2021.

23-07-2021 17:38
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into The Night wrote:

So??

A picture of the creek by my house in June 2021 would show drought conditions (the creek was, and still is today, nothing more than a piss trickle, as Southern Wisconsin has received virtually no rain all Summer, to date --apparently it all went to China--), but a picture of the very same location of the very same creek in June 2008 would show absolute flood conditions (meaning that the creek breached its banks and water was even flowing over the road at a decent speed)... That SUCKED trying to get home from work that day.

I specifically remember that early June in 2008 because my dad and I had to go out with the tractor and 4-wheeler to clear out a bunch of large logs and other debris from the road so that people could actually get through there again. The township wouldn't've responded near fast enough, so we had to do it ourselves.

Edited on 23-07-2021 17:46
23-07-2021 17:43
(14411)

James___ wrote:If light moves slower through the atmosphere as a result of having been reflected by a mirror then it is also refracted.

Reflection does not cause photons to decrease in speed.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-07-2021 18:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

You're not familiar with a prism, are you? The basics of the prism separating light into different colors is because their wavelengths change according to their mass.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/physics_part1/physics_refraction_of_light_through_prism.htm

Red has a longer wavelength because it has a shorter path through the prism. With violet, it has more mass and thus has a shorter wavelength because its path through the prism is longer.
https://science.nasa.gov/ems/09_visiblelight
23-07-2021 18:35
(14411)

James___ wrote:You're not familiar with a prism, are you?

I am very familiar with prisms.

Light passing through a prism is refracted, not reflected.

Refraction involves light "passing through" a particular medium. Reflection does not.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.

Edited on 23-07-2021 18:36
23-07-2021 18:39
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

If light moves slower through the atmosphere as a result of having been reflected by a mirror then it is also refracted. Don't be a science denier.

Reflection does not change the speed of light.

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2021 18:40
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

Cherry picking fallacy. You do realize that weather varies, right?

The Parrot Killer

23-07-2021 18:42
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

You're not familiar with a prism, are you? The basics of the prism separating light into different colors is because their wavelengths change according to their mass.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/physics_part1/physics_refraction_of_light_through_prism.htm

Red has a longer wavelength because it has a shorter path through the prism. With violet, it has more mass and thus has a shorter wavelength because its path through the prism is longer.

Frequency is not mass. Frequencies do not change in a prism.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 23-07-2021 18:44
23-07-2021 18:57
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

You do realize CA is experiencing a drought now?

You even said earlier farmers are leaving the state.

23-07-2021 20:08
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Guess this is just another example of science, doesn't translate well to Norwegian. 'white' light, doesn't have a wavelength. It's all colors traveling same direction.

23-07-2021 20:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Guess this is just another example of science, doesn't translate well to Norwegian. 'white' light, doesn't have a wavelength. It's all colors traveling same direction.

Sunlight is not white light. What snow reflects is white light. How to say it so an American can understand?
At the same time mixing red, blue and green in equal quantities makes white light. Then white light can be converted into all colors.
23-07-2021 21:49
(1643)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:

You're not familiar with a prism, are you? The basics of the
Sunlight is not white light. What snow reflects is white light. How to say it so an American can understand?
At the same time mixing red, blue and green in equal quantities makes white light. Then white light can be converted into all colors.

The sun looks white. Why don't you call it white light?

23-07-2021 21:52
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

None needed. They use to collect sufficient water. Now they no longer do. The removed and destroyed dams and reservoirs.

I heard removing some dam is to help some fish populations make a comeback from the brink of extinction...

23-07-2021 22:01
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:

It's a brown dwarf and not a neutron star. Chances are that atmospheric gasses influence its color . And with snow being white, if it was pure then it would not be white, it would be crystal clear. SO its impurities most likely changes the color it refracts/reflects.
This link will help to explain why stars look like they emit white light.

https://frostydrew.org/publications.dc/show/entry-589/
23-07-2021 22:04
(1643)
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

James___ wrote:

Visible light travels to your eye in a flash.

But radiation travels very slow in comparison.

Glass slows down radiation (increases wave length).

Try this, walk around outside at high noon, or stand still. Standing still will make the sun burn worse than moving around.

Edited on 23-07-2021 22:05
23-07-2021 22:24
(14411)

Spongy Iris wrote:Visible light travels to your eye in a flash.

No pun intended, I presume.

Spongy Iris wrote:But radiation travels very slow in comparison.

Light is electromagnetic radiation. Light and radiation are not separate/different.

Spongy Iris wrote:Glass slows down radiation (increases wave length).

Nope. Glass simply slows down light without altering the wavelength. This is why we refer to the speed of light "in a vacuum" because other mediums have differing light speeds.

Spongy Iris wrote:Try this, walk around outside at high noon, or stand still. Standing still will make the sun burn worse than moving around.

Nope. What makes you think you have the capability to compare the two anyway?

Attached image:

24-07-2021 02:35
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

You do realize CA is experiencing a drought now?

You even said earlier farmers are leaving the state.

The drought is self inflicted. The SOTC does not bother to collect water.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2021 02:39
(21597)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Sunlight is not white light.

The Sun puts out light ranging in frequencies from radio all the way up to X rays, including all the visible frequencies of light. It is white light.
James___ wrote:
What snow reflects is white light.

Snow absorbs infrared light and reflects most other frequencies.
James___ wrote:
How to say it so an American can understand?

Try it in a way that does not deny physics.
James___ wrote:

White light is not a single frequency. It is not converted to anything.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2021 02:41
(21597)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:

I heard removing some dam is to help some fish populations make a comeback from the brink of extinction...
...no fish was brought to extinction by any dam in the SOTC, but without them, farmers and ranchers were brought to extinction.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2021 02:46
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:

It's a brown dwarf and not a neutron star.

Irrelevant.
James___ wrote:
Chances are that atmospheric gasses influence its color.

Yes. Due to blue scattering in the atmosphere (causing the blue sky), the Sun itself appears slightly yellow when viewed from the surface, except of course during sunset and sunrise, when viewed through more of the atmosphere, making the Sun appear redder.
James___ wrote:
And with snow being white, if it was pure then it would not be white, it would be crystal clear.

Nope. It would be white.
James___ wrote:
SO its impurities most likely changes the color it refracts/reflects.

Snow absorbs infrared light and reflects most other frequencies.
James___ wrote:
This link will help to explain why stars look like they emit white light.

https://frostydrew.org/publications.dc/show/entry-589/

The Sun emits white light. It emits frequencies from radio all the way up to X rays, including all visible frequencies of light.

The Parrot Killer

24-07-2021 02:52
(21597)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Glass slows down radiation (increases wave length).

Nope. Glass simply slows down light without altering the wavelength. This is why we refer to the speed of light "in a vacuum" because other mediums have differing light speeds.

Wavelength in a medium other than a vacuum DOES change. The frequency does not.
Assuming a single frequency of light with a given wavelength in a vacuum, as that light slows down in a medium the wavelength becomes shorter. The frequency does not change.

Remember the wavelength is typically calculated for light in a vacuum, not in any medium.

Indeed, a radio antenna cut for the wavelength of the speed of light in a vacuum will set up a standing wave on that antenna feedline. The antenna must be shortened slightly to account for the speed of light in the wire, which is a tad slower than the speed of light in a vacuum.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 24-07-2021 02:53
24-07-2021 04:06
(14411)
Into the Night wrote:Wavelength in a medium other than a vacuum DOES change. The frequency does not.

Yes, I misspoke. I meant that the speed of the light is reduced and thus the distance covered in the process of completing one cycle (i.e. one wavelength) is reduced ... while the frequency thus remains the same.

Speed_of_Light = Wavelength * Frequency

If the speed of the light is reduced because of the medium, then the wavelength must shorten as well.

Good catch. Thanks for keeping me honest.

24-07-2021 05:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:Wavelength in a medium other than a vacuum DOES change. The frequency does not.

Yes, I misspoke. I meant that the speed of the light is reduced and thus the distance covered in the process of completing one cycle (i.e. one wavelength) is reduced ... while the frequency thus remains the same.

Speed_of_Light = Wavelength * Frequency

If the speed of the light is reduced because of the medium, then the wavelength must shorten as well.

Good catch. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Geez, that's what I said.
And yet you guys said I was wrong.

p.s., when light slows moving through a prism, it gains mass. This increases its amplitude. This is why the wavelengths change. If the mass of the light wave remained the same then when leaving the prism it would return to a wavelength relative to the amount of energy in that wave.
λ=wavelength = wavelength * 10^-10m where m is kg is how you calculate the the mass of of a wavelength. Since red light has a wavelength of about 700a and blue light is about 500a, blue light has about 1.4 times more mass.

Edited on 24-07-2021 06:02
24-07-2021 05:56
(14411)
James___ wrote:Geez, that's what I said.

You said reflection is refraction. Neither is the other.

Once again, reflection occurs off a surface while refraction occurs through a medium.

24-07-2021 06:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:Geez, that's what I said.

You said reflection is refraction. Neither is the other.

Once again, reflection occurs off a surface while refraction occurs through a medium.

If light slows because it is reflected off of a mirror, it is refracted. The mirror is a prism. And any surface that reflects light is absorbing some of it. Why that surface will become warmer. What happens when light is refracted.
24-07-2021 06:45
(14411)

James___ wrote:If light slows because it is reflected off of a mirror, it is refracted.

You are repeating yourself. I have already answered this once.

Reflection does not reduce the speed of light.

James___ wrote:The mirror is a prism.

No mirror is a prism if it is a mirror. No prism is a mirror if it is a prism.

James___ wrote:And any surface that reflects light is absorbing some of it.

Absolutely none of the reflected light is absorbed.

Page 2 of 7<1234>>>

Join the debate From ice core analysis to temperature curves:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Can we trust the satellite and surface-based temperature records?123-04-2024 16:21
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
Articles
Analysis - Explaining China's Climate Policy
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact