Remember me
▼ Content

From ice core analysis to temperature curves

Page 4 of 7<<<23456>>>
29-07-2021 18:15
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
This was a totally stupid thing to write.

Visible light is electromagnetic radiation.

Might you be conflating "radiation" with "radioactivity"?

Let's look at an LED light as another example.

It can emit lots of light, but almost no radiation.

In the above example, I don't think the holes and electrons emit any radiation. I think there is just slight radiation from the wires and battery. But the holes and electrons are where the light comes from, right?

Edited on 29-07-2021 18:18
29-07-2021 21:16
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

In the above example, I don't think the holes and electrons emit any radiation. I think there is just slight radiation from the wires and battery. But the holes and electrons are where the light comes from, right?

It radiates light from a point source (the junction). It is radiation.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
29-07-2021 21:32
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Why don't you just explain what you misunderstand "radiation" to be and we can clear this matter up in a jiffy.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
31-07-2021 21:27
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:

Regarding the "photo electric effect..."

From Brittanica, "the maximum kinetic energy of the released electrons did not vary with the intensity of the light, but was proportional instead to the frequency of the light. What the light intensity did determine was the number of electrons released from the metal (measured as an electric current)."

Intensity is brightness, like visible light.

Frequency is wavelength, like radiation.

31-07-2021 23:02
(14389)

Spongy Iris wrote:Intensity is brightness, like visible light.

Nope. Intensity and Brightness are separate things.

Intensity is a measure of power, i.e. energy/time

Brightness, on the other hand, is a subjective measure of human perception. Brightness "Contrast" can be manipulated to fool people's perception. Ask gfm7175.

In software applications such as GIMP and Photoshop, adjusting the "Brightness" merely shifts the K values (amount of black) along the greyscale (to lighter or darker shades of grey) which make the overall image "brighter" or "darker." Also, adjusting the "Contrast" simply "spreads out" or "draws in" the span/range of K values

Spongy Iris wrote:Frequency is wavelength, like radiation.

... except that we just covered the major difference between Frequency and Wavelength, besides them being inverses. Frequency does not change depending upon the meduim through which the light is traveling whereas Wavelength does vary per the medium because the speed of light varies per the medium.

Let's just keep our terms straight.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-08-2021 01:50
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

Brightness, on the other hand, is a subjective measure of human perception. Brightness "Contrast" can be manipulated to fool people's perception. Ask gfm7175.

In software applications such as GIMP and Photoshop, adjusting the "Brightness" merely shifts the K values (amount of black) along the greyscale (to lighter or darker shades of grey) which make the overall image "brighter" or "darker." Also, adjusting the "Contrast" simply "spreads out" or "draws in" the span/range of K values

... except that we just covered the major difference between Frequency and Wavelength, besides them being inverses. Frequency does not change depending upon the meduim through which the light is traveling whereas Wavelength does vary per the medium because the speed of light varies per the medium.

In the context of the discussion of visible light, intensity refers to brightness.

The human eye can detect brightness intensity. And the shutter speed of a camera could be a scientific way of measuring brightness intensity.

Anyway regarding wavelength, which appears to be a separate matter, can you please give another example of how Wavelength does vary per the medium? An experiment that can be replicated in a household perhaps...

01-08-2021 03:35
(14389)
Spongy Iris wrote: In the context of the discussion of visible light, intensity refers to brightness.

Nope. The context does not matter. Brightness does not mean the power measure of Intensity unless you specify that you are defining Brightness to mean Intensity.

I will presume that you are so defining Brightness.

Spongy Iris wrote:The human eye can detect brightness intensity.

Were you paying attention? The human eye can be fooled. Ergo, human perception is hardly ever a good measure.

Spongy Iris wrote: And the shutter speed of a camera could be a scientific way of measuring brightness intensity.

No. Just, no.

Hint: A camera's shutter speed is not a measure of anything ... it is the value for the speed of a shutter only.

Spongy Iris wrote: Anyway regarding wavelength, which appears to be a separate matter, can you please give another example of how Wavelength does vary per the medium?

Sure. Stick a pencil in a glass of water. Notice that the pencil appears to distort/bend. This is the effect of light passing through different mediums, i.e. water, glass and air.

Any given medium will affect the speed of the light. Since you can see that the frequency remains the same, i.e. the color isn't changing, then the wavelength must be changing since the speed is changing but the frequency is not.

Note: Wavelength * Frequency = Speed_of_Light

This demonstration can be performed anywhere.

01-08-2021 17:55
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
'Brightness' and 'intensity', are also a little subjective, when measured by the human eye. We all don't perceive colors exactly the same. Our eyes are also more sensitive to some wavelengths, than others. Consider our vision at nighttime. Some people can see quite well at night, where others are nearly blind. 'Sight', isn't entirely our eyes either, it's a brain function.
01-08-2021 20:43
(14389)

HarveyH55 wrote:'Brightness' and 'intensity', are also a little subjective, when measured by the human eye. We all don't perceive colors exactly the same. Our eyes are also more sensitive to some wavelengths, than others. Consider our vision at nighttime. Some people can see quite well at night, where others are nearly blind. 'Sight', isn't entirely our eyes either, it's a brain function.

Well put.

Both terms, i.e. Brightness and Intensity have colloquial, subjective meanings pertaining to human perception as well as having established technical meanings, e.g. Intensity being a specific measure of power (energy or work over time) and Brightness being a standard photoshop setting pertaining to K values.

If you are saying that one should specify which meaning is being used then your point is well taken.

02-08-2021 01:01
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[quote]Spongy Iris wrote:
[quote]IBdaMann wrote:

Regarding the "photo electric effect..."

From Brittanica, "the maximum kinetic energy of the released electrons did not vary with the intensity of the light, but was proportional instead to the frequency of the light. What the light intensity did determine was the number of electrons released from the metal (measured as an electric current)."

Intensity is brightness, like visible light.

Intensity is not brightness. Apparently you don't know what 'amplitude' means.
Spongy Iris wrote:
Frequency is wavelength, like radiation.

Frequency is not radiation.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-08-2021 01:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
[/center]

In the context of the discussion of visible light, intensity refers to brightness.

The human eye can detect brightness intensity. And the shutter speed of a camera could be a scientific way of measuring brightness intensity.

Anyway regarding wavelength, which appears to be a separate matter, can you please give another example of how Wavelength does vary per the medium? An experiment that can be replicated in a household perhaps...

Light from a distant star is considered in terms of "intrinsic brightness". Emission divided by the inverse square law diminishes the brightness of intrinsic light. Basically is an absolute in astronomy.
With wavelength in a household appliance, there is both a toaster and a microwave oven. A toaster radiates heat based on E = hv that has a wavelength of about 620 - 700 nm.
A microwave has a wavelength of about 1cm in length. 1 nm is 1 / 10,000,000.
Red light is about 1/700,000 of a cm of that of a microwave.
As per IBDM's request, I am a nuisance here. I am simply ignorant. It was the Kiev Roosk who created what became known as Russia. And Ukrainian is considered as the 3rd most beautiful language in the world after French and Italian. Thank you for correcting me IBDM.

Edited on 02-08-2021 01:40
02-08-2021 02:09
(14389)

James___ wrote:Light from a distant star is considered in terms of "intrinsic brightness".

Light from a distant star is considered in terms of the distance it has travelled.

James___ wrote:Emission divided by the inverse square law diminishes the brightness of intrinsic light.

... because Brightness is power, and the power of waves is reduced by the square of the distance travelled.

James___ wrote: A toaster radiates heat based on E = hv

Nope. A toaster radiates per Stefan-Boltzmann. A microwave's magentron radiates per the power of its resonance cavities.

James___ wrote: As per IBDM's request, I am a nuisance here. I am simply ignorant. It was the Kiev Roosk who created what became known as Russia. And Ukrainian is considered as the 3rd most beautiful language in the world after French and Italian. Thank you for correcting me IBDM.

I have no recollection of any of this. Could you refesh my memory regarding this conversation?

02-08-2021 02:23
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote:Light from a distant star is considered in terms of "intrinsic brightness".

Light from a distant star is considered in terms of the distance it has travelled.

And how is that determined? Its intrinsic brightness quantifies the brightness of light becoming dimmer further from its star. With this it is measured in magnitude and can have some variance.
02-08-2021 02:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote: A toaster radiates heat based on E = hv

Nope. A toaster radiates per Stefan-Boltzmann. A microwave's magentron radiates per the power of its resonance cavities.

James___ wrote: As per IBDM's request, I am a nuisance here. I am simply ignorant. It was the Kiev Roosk who created what became known as Russia. And Ukrainian is considered as the 3rd most beautiful language in the world after French and Italian. Thank you for correcting me IBDM.

I have no recollection of any of this. Could you refesh my memory regarding this conversation?

Ukrainians are ok.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/11/02/the-death-match-of-1942/
Both a toaster and a microwave oven work according to black body radiation theory. As for language, Я рузумию. Тї правда. Что Я знаю? Я не делаю!
Edited on 02-08-2021 02:39
02-08-2021 03:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
ie.,
One is that, per photon visible light has more energy than microwave radiation. But this is misleading: a microwave oven puts about 1 kW of power into a confined space. That's a lot of power. You don't often see that much power from visible or near-visible light in a small volume: if you did, you would be just as worried about cooking yourself. In other words, if you put a 1 kW source of visible light in a small box, it would cook the stuff in the box.

Microwaves may also be absorbed in different ways to visible light. Microwaves penetrate flesh far more deeply than light and can therefore have a more immediate effect on temperatures throughout the flesh. On the other hand the same intensity of visible light will ultimately generate the same amount of heating (the same amount of power is being dissipated) but in a much thinner layer on the surface of the flesh. Is that less dangerous? Only if you prefer to be broiled rather than fried.

And visible light is often dangerous to various body parts when concentrated enough. Handheld laser pointers typically operate at <1 mW of power output but will leave holes in your retina if you stare at them.

Visible light is dangerous. But for a fair comparison to microwaves you need to look at the total amount of energy involved. Microwave ovens dump a lot of energy into their contents and there is little reason to think that doing the same with visible light would be much less harmful.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/452592/if-visible-light-has-more-energy-than-microwaves-why-isnt-visible-light-danger
02-08-2021 06:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Some basic info about "intrinsic brightness". Let's say a star emits some type of solar radiation called "light". Amplitude divided by wavelength equals H, right?
A basic way of considering this is that at the source of emission amplitude is exponentially greater. It's like x/2. If x is 10 km then x/2 = 5 km. Not really.
x/2 becomes x/4 then x/16 then x/64. That's how "intrinsic brightness" is considered. Its brightness is reduced by 1/4 for every equal measurement of 1 that it moves from it source.
And if it moves a distance of 4 from its source, then 4^4 = 256. Basically a light a distance 4 from its source has a lesser magnitude of 1/256.

p.s., A = 4PiR^2 (surface area of a sphere). You guys will one day know basic math.

Edited on 02-08-2021 06:15
03-08-2021 00:00
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Were you paying attention? The human eye can be fooled. Ergo, human perception is hardly ever a good measure.

No. Just, no.

Hint: A camera's shutter speed is not a measure of anything ... it is the value for the speed of a shutter only.

Sure. Stick a pencil in a glass of water. Notice that the pencil appears to distort/bend. This is the effect of light passing through different mediums, i.e. water, glass and air.

Any given medium will affect the speed of the light. Since you can see that the frequency remains the same, i.e. the color isn't changing, then the wavelength must be changing since the speed is changing but the frequency is not.

You probably have a manual option on your cell phone camera, where you can use shutter speed and ISO to see the sun is brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:30 p.m. in the summer time.

The top pictures were at 5:30 p.m. The bottom pictures were at 2:30 p.m on Aug 1.

The left pictures were at 1/1600 shutter speed and ISO 50.

The right pictures were at 1/3200 shutter speed and ISO 50.

Those are both very fast shutter speeds, and if you pointed the camera away from the sun at those shutter speeds, everything would look dark.

Don't the pictures at 5:30 p.m. look brighter?

But on the contrary, the radiation is less, not more at 5:30 p.m compared to 2:30 p.m.

Visible light can pass through water more than radiation. As an example, I could submerge myself in an outdoor pool at high noon and block any burn from radiation. But if I open my eyes underwater, I'm still going see lots of sunlight. (though the water distorts the visible light, it doesn't block it as effectively as it does radiation)

03-08-2021 03:03
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

No. Just, no.

You probably have a manual option on your cell phone camera, where you can use shutter speed and ISO to see the sun is brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:30 p.m. in the summer time.

The top pictures were at 5:30 p.m. The bottom pictures were at 2:30 p.m on Aug 1.

The left pictures were at 1/1600 shutter speed and ISO 50.

The right pictures were at 1/3200 shutter speed and ISO 50.

Those are both very fast shutter speeds, and if you pointed the camera away from the sun at those shutter speeds, everything would look dark.

Don't the pictures at 5:30 p.m. look brighter?

But on the contrary, the radiation is less, not more at 5:30 p.m compared to 2:30 p.m.

Visible light can pass through water more than radiation.

Spongy Iris wrote:
As an example, I could submerge myself in an outdoor pool at high noon and block any burn from radiation.

Spongy Iris wrote:
But if I open my eyes underwater, I'm still going see lots of sunlight. (though the water distorts the visible light, it doesn't block it as effectively as it does radiation)

The Parrot Killer

03-08-2021 06:27
(14389)

Spongy Iris wrote:... to see the sun is brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:30 p.m. in the summer time.

The point about absolute values vs. human perception was already made and reemphasized.

Absolute: The sun's brightness is treated as constant. The sun sits there in the barycenter of our solar system and is not changing in brightness to any discernible extent.

Human Perception: The sun appears brighter/less bright to our human perceptions here on earth depending on atmospheric factors, angle of view, state of our eyes and other relative cues that play on our human senses.

Your claim that the sun appears brighter at 5:30 pm than at 2:30 pm is not my experience. My human perception perceives the sun as brighter at 2:30 pm and less bright at 5:30 pm.

Spongy Iris wrote:Don't the pictures at 5:30 p.m. look brighter?

The camera's limiter is restricting more of the light from the 2:30 sun so that it won't be too bright.

Spongy Iris wrote:Visible light can pass through water more than radiation.

Visible light is radiation. You need to get over this hump. What is the point of having this conversation if you refuse to get educated on the subject matter?

Spongy Iris wrote: As an example, I could submerge myself in an outdoor pool at high noon and block any burn from radiation. But if I open my eyes underwater, I'm still going see lots of sunlight.

Visible electromagnetic radiation is not UV electromagnetic radiation. Green visible light effectively passes through oxygen whereas UV-C has a much more difficult time, as one example.

03-08-2021 16:36
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

No. Just, no.

Not sure who is posting what. With the pencils in the glass with water, it shows how a prism influences light. The glass is curved like a magnifying lens. With the Sun "seeming" brighter in the evening, it might be the inverse of the pencils in water.
This is because sun light over a greater surface might be focused by the Earth's atmosphere towards its surface. This would show that the Earth's atmosphere can act as a prism.
Edited on 03-08-2021 16:37
03-08-2021 17:09
(14389)
James___ wrote:This would show that the Earth's atmosphere can act as a prism.

That's what rainbows do ... and you know what rainbows are. That's right, they are God's promise to never raise the ocean level again, which is why the ocean has never risen since b.c.

... and God's promise includes never again killing all the people via extreme weather, which is why there has never been any spikes in extreme weather events outside of regular, normal extreme weather activity.

I think I learned this at the church gfm7175 and I attend if I'm not mistaken.

03-08-2021 19:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:This would show that the Earth's atmosphere can act as a prism.

That's what rainbows do ... and you know what rainbows are. That's right, they are God's promise to never raise the ocean level again, which is why the ocean has never risen since b.c.

... and God's promise includes never again killing all the people via extreme weather, which is why there has never been any spikes in extreme weather events outside of regular, normal extreme weather activity.

I think I learned this at the church gfm7175 and I attend if I'm not mistaken.

I think that's why I wasn't welcomed in church. I remembered that Jesus said;

John 18:36; Jesus answered, "My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."

kind of why I keep science separate from any religious belief. When someone looks at the Sun at 5:30 pm, is it as harsh as at 12:00 noon? I think you'll find out that solar panels are less efficient at 5:30 p.m.
This then would show that while the way solar radiation moves through our atmosphere can increase the path of solar radiation while decreasing its intensity.
I tend to find how our atmosphere and solar system work fascinating.
12-08-2021 23:32
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

The point about absolute values vs. human perception was already made and reemphasized.

Absolute: The sun's brightness is treated as constant. The sun sits there in the barycenter of our solar system and is not changing in brightness to any discernible extent.

Human Perception: The sun appears brighter/less bright to our human perceptions here on earth depending on atmospheric factors, angle of view, state of our eyes and other relative cues that play on our human senses.

Your claim that the sun appears brighter at 5:30 pm than at 2:30 pm is not my experience. My human perception perceives the sun as brighter at 2:30 pm and less bright at 5:30 pm.

The camera's limiter is restricting more of the light from the 2:30 sun so that it won't be too bright.

Visible light is radiation. You need to get over this hump. What is the point of having this conversation if you refuse to get educated on the subject matter?

Visible electromagnetic radiation is not UV electromagnetic radiation. Green visible light effectively passes through oxygen whereas UV-C has a much more difficult time, as one example.

The sun may not be changing in brightness on its own.

But the sun appears measurably brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:00 p.m. You can rely on a camera for this if you don't trust your human perception. You seem to be confusing brightness with temperature. It is hotter at 2:00 p.m than 5:30 p.m, but not brighter.

I figured I should repeat the experiment, as I noticed the white balance and focus were still set to auto in the last pictures I shared. I set them to manual, and kept them the same settings for all 4 pictures.

See. It's still brighter at 5:30 than 2:00. This was 8/11/21 in NorCal.

I can stare at the Sun and focus clearly enough, to see the actual ball of the Sun always looks the same in brightness on a clear day. But when I do that, I lose focus on the corona of light around the sun.

The camera cannot focus that intensely. The camera will see the sun and the corona of light around it as the same color of white. In that sense the camera can more objectively measure the brightness around the sun than I can with my perception.

The reason it appears brighter at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m. I think is due to greater reflection and/or refraction of sunlight in the atmosphere at this time.

I still don't believe you can measure a degree of radiation for visible light...

A main difference between radiation and visible light is radiation appears to behave like a wave, but visible light appears to behave like a particle.

12-08-2021 23:55
(14389)

Spongy Iris wrote:But the sun appears measurably brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:00 p.m. You can rely on a camera for this if you don't trust your human perception.

No, you cannot rely on a camera. Almost all cameras today have brightness autoadjust. When the field of view is too bright the camera automatically reduces the amount of light allowed in. This is what is happening when you use a camera to take a picture of the sun at 2:00 p.m., i.e. the camera automatically darkens it whereas it does not at 5:30 p.m. The result, your picture of the 2:00 sun might very well appear darker than your picture of the 5:30 sun.

So when the sun 2:00 p.m. sun appears brighter to your eyes than the 5:30 sun, trust your eyes on that one despite any camera's brightness autoadjust giving you a different impression.

Spongy Iris wrote:I figured I should repeat the experiment, as I noticed the white balance and focus were still set to auto in the last pictures I shared. I set them to manual, and kept them the same settings for all 4 pictures.

I can't say that I know what your error is but I am quite capable of walking outside and noticing that the 2:00 sun is noticeably brighter than the 5:30 p.m. sun. I too will repeat this experiment tomorrow and I'll let you know the results.

Spongy Iris wrote:I still don't believe you can measure a degree of radiation for visible light...

There is no such thing as "degree of radiation."

All electromagnetic radiation is radiation. All visible light is electromagnetic radiation. I don't know where you are getting lost on this.

Spongy Iris wrote: A main difference between radiation and visible light is

... all visible light is electromagnetic radiation but not all electromagnetic radiation is visible light.

All electromagnetic radiation behaves as both a wave and as a particle.

Let me know if you have any questions.

13-08-2021 05:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

But the sun appears measurably brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:00 p.m. You can rely on a camera for this if you don't trust your human perception. You seem to be confusing brightness with temperature. It is hotter at 2:00 p.m than 5:30 p.m, but not brighter.

I figured I should repeat the experiment, as I noticed the white balance and focus were still set to auto in the last pictures I shared. I set them to manual, and kept them the same settings for all 4 pictures.

I can stare at the Sun and focus clearly enough, to see the actual ball of the Sun always looks the same in brightness on a clear day. But when I do that, I lose focus on the corona of light around the sun.

The camera cannot focus that intensely. The camera will see the sun and the corona of light around it as the same color of white. In that sense the camera can more objectively measure the brightness around the sun than I can with my perception.

The reason it appears brighter at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m. I think is due to greater reflection and/or refraction of sunlight in the atmosphere at this time.

I still don't believe you can measure a degree of radiation for visible light...

A main difference between radiation and visible light is radiation appears to behave like a wave, but visible light appears to behave like a particle.

What could explain the optical illusion that you noticed is like with the prism, consider the angle that sunlight is passing through our atmosphere. The difference between 2:00 and 5:30 is that sunlight is passing through more of our atmosphere. This shows that our atmosphere is a gaseous prism.
And as we all know, prisms can slow light and heat up or become warmer. Spongy, you just proved that our atmosphere has qualities similar to what a prism has. Thank You.

p.s., I took screenshots except for the image that I attached. I am going to make one image from it to post on social media. This will hopefully get people to understand that the troposphere acts like a prism. Your pictures show that incoming solar radiation is affected by atmospheric gasses. If that weren't true then all of your pictures would look the same.

p.s.s, am sorry it took me so long to realize what you observed. That's my bad.

Attached image:

Edited on 13-08-2021 05:44
13-08-2021 15:42
(21582)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The Sun is quite capable of changing in brightness on its own.
Spongy Iris wrote:
But the sun appears measurably brighter at 5:30 p.m than 2:00 p.m. You can rely on a camera for this if you don't trust your human perception.

So?
Spongy Iris wrote:

Don't stare at the Sun.
Spongy Iris wrote:

Just another way of saying the Sun is higher in the sky. Big hairy deal. So?
Spongy Iris wrote:

Correct. Radiation has no degree.
Spongy Iris wrote:

WRONG. Light is both a wave and a particle. Radiation can be of waves or particles, and may or might not have light involved at all.

The Parrot Killer

13-08-2021 16:45
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With my calling what Spongy observed an optical illusion, I was wrong for saying that because it is not an illusion. It shows that gasses in our atmosphere slows sunlight. And with the Sun appearing larger it is because the sunlight that has been slowed creates a larger path for itself. Atmospheric gasses lack the density to change the wavelength of sunlight to any meaningful magnitude.
Because atmospheric gasses lack density, instead of the amplitude of sunlight increasing, it expands outward which is observed as a larger Sun. So yep, Spongy has proof that the Earth's atmosphere slows incoming IR which helps to heat the Earth's atmosphere.
Anyone can check, it is usually warmer at 5:30 than it is at 2:00. What Spongy observed might be the reason why. And with temperatures, storms and cloud cover will affect the temperature. Clear skies would be necessary for comparison purposes.
This is for Des Moines, Iowa. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/des-moines/50316/hourly-weather-forecast/328810 At noon it is 78º F. and then at 8:00 pm it will be that cool. At 4:00 pm, it's warmest at 85º F. It's actual sunset time tonight is 8:16 pm. Tilt of the Earth towards the Sun.
What you guys can consider is that at 8:00, sunlight is passing through the atmosphere of Des Moines and is not reflecting off of the ground (albedo). This is when things get complicated. The overnight low temperature is forecast to be 60º F. And this is usually just before sunrise.

Edited on 13-08-2021 16:46
14-08-2021 02:34
(1643)
Hi IBdaMann,

I told you the camera was set to manual for shutter speed, ISO, white balance, and focus. Seems you just can't accept that...

The Sun feels hotter at 2:00 p.m. than 5:30 p.m., but doesn't appear brighter.

What I meant by degree is, how can you measure the wavelength, frequency, and amplitude of visible light?

Here are 2 examples of visible light acting like a wave and particle.

The top picture shows visible light reflecting off water and showing a pattern like a wave would.

The bottom picture shows visible light shining through a window and showing a pattern like a particle would.

Usually visible light appears to show a pattern like a particle would, unless it passes through something like water, or when a dim laser passes through 2 tiny slits inside a darkened box.

Since radiation is measured in wavelength, that sounds to me like it is usually a wave.

14-08-2021 02:36
(1643)
Hi James,

On clear summer days, it is often not warmer at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m., and radiation is always less powerful at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m. In my experience of these kinds of summer days, the temperature usually plateaus around 1 to 4 p.m. and then starts cooling off after 4 p.m. Today in Des Moines high noon is about 1 p.m. That's when radiation peaks, then plateaus. The radiation power feels pretty close to the same from 1 to 4 p.m. In Des Moines today, the temperature climbs a bit from 1 to 4 p.m., then dips by 5 p.m., which I think shows there is a lag time between when the most radiation hits, and when temperature climbs in response. There is also a lag time between when radiation decreases, and when temperature decreases. Of course in Des Moines, the temperature doesn't instantly drop to 60 F as soon as the sun sets.

Unlike the radiation on summer days, which starts decreasing after 4 p.m., and is noticeably quite less by 5:30 p.m., the visible corona of sunshine around the Sun appears to increase.

I think the increase in the visible corona of sunshine around the Sun is due to greater reflection and refraction when the Sun shines through greater thickness of our Sky.

The question I'm wondering, does more Nitrogen and Oxygen reflect and refract more visible light? I thought these particles act like a veil, and absorb sunshine more than they reflect and refract sunshine...

14-08-2021 02:48
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Interesting theory James.
14-08-2021 04:41
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
Interesting theory James.

Thank You! It is a part of what I am pursuing.
14-08-2021 04:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
deleted
Edited on 14-08-2021 05:30
14-08-2021 05:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Hi James,

On clear summer days, it is often not warmer at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m., and radiation is always less powerful at 5:30 p.m. than 2:00 p.m. In my experience of these kinds of summer days, the temperature usually plateaus around 1 to 4 p.m. and then starts cooling off after 4 p.m. Today in Des Moines high noon is about 1 p.m. That's when radiation peaks, then plateaus. The radiation power feels pretty close to the same from 1 to 4 p.m. In Des Moines today, the temperature climbs a bit from 1 to 4 p.m., then dips by 5 p.m., which I think shows there is a lag time between when the most radiation hits, and when temperature climbs in response. There is also a lag time between when radiation decreases, and when temperature decreases. Of course in Des Moines, the temperature doesn't instantly drop to 60 F as soon as the sun sets.

Unlike the radiation on summer days, which starts decreasing after 4 p.m., and is noticeably quite less by 5:30 p.m., the visible corona of sunshine around the Sun appears to increase.

I think the increase in the visible corona of sunshine around the Sun is due to greater reflection and refraction when the Sun shines through greater thickness of our Sky.

The question I'm wondering, does more Nitrogen and Oxygen reflect and refract more visible light? I thought these particles act like a veil, and absorb sunshine more than they reflect and refract sunshine...

When you say nitrogen and oxygen, you are actually saying N2 and O2. Element vs molecule. This changes refraction.
14-08-2021 05:36
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Hi James,

Since we have differing opinions, we can observe recorded meteorological data and see what it shows.

When you ask;
The question I'm wondering, does more Nitrogen and Oxygen reflect and refract more visible light? I thought these particles act like a veil, and absorb sunshine more than they reflect and refract sunshine

Your pictures showed that as the albedo effect decreases, the Sun appears larger. Your pictures and I am merely agreeing with you. I did say I was wrong and what you observed is real. Why is it real?
I think that's what we need to be on about.

I have my own theory. When you say nitrogen and oxygen you are actually referring to N2 and O2.
14-08-2021 05:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
What people in here need to accept is that I will say what you observed is real. The albedo effect is dependent on refraction/reflection. Your images suggest something else. This does not agree with accepted science. Your pictures shows radiance is dependent on an atmosphere changing the behavior of incoming solar IR.
And Spongy, if such is true, Langley made images of the Sun. Think about it.

p.s., if you need a clue, his drawings are still used in school today. He was known for elevating the University of Pittsburgh about 1900 before becoming the head of the Smithsonian Institution. If people aren't familiar with this, it's not my position to educate them.

p.s.s., Spongy, I am comparing your pictures to the drawings Langley made over 100 years ago. Suck it up. I have said that I think you proved something very important about the Earth's atmosphere. I've now given you proper context.
Edited on 14-08-2021 06:08
14-08-2021 06:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy, this is Langley. http://www.codex99.com/illustration/119.html
It is from 1873. Proper context. Langley's observation of a sunspot was simply better. What Langley showed were magnetic lines. This gets into the heart of astrophysics.

p.s., with this "Allegheny Observatory and professor at the Western University of Pennsylvania", think Pittsburgh University. Again, I'm not your teacher and it had no science dept. before he showed up.

FYI., Allegheny Observatory and Western University of Pennsylvania became
Pittsburgh University. Before Langley it was nothing. With him, it became America's preeminent university when studying the Sun.
Edited on 14-08-2021 06:59
14-08-2021 06:42
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
@Spongy, kind of what your pictures suggest. They do support some of what I have been pursuing in atmospheric chemistry. And if what your pictures shows is correct, in science they could be an important discovery. Proper context.
14-08-2021 07:14
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Images of the Sun really don't matter.
14-08-2021 07:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
It helps to start with the basics; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxEZZ-idun0
14-08-2021 10:04
(14389)
James___ wrote:@Spongy, kind of what your pictures suggest. They do support some of what I have been pursuing in atmospheric chemistry.

You should bring him up to speed.

Page 4 of 7<<<23456>>>

Join the debate From ice core analysis to temperature curves:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
Articles
Analysis - Explaining China's Climate Policy
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact