Remember me
▼ Content

"Freakishly Warm" Arctic Weather Has Scientists Reconsidering Worst-Case Scenarios on Climate

"Freakishly Warm" Arctic Weather Has Scientists Reconsidering Worst-Case Scenarios on Climate28-05-2018 03:54
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Woj4OyIY0

61 hours so far above freezing at the North Pole in the middle of winter, and at night - the sun set in October. Pack socks a thick jumper and a flask of tea, you're good to go.

Apologies for the guy wearing CGI glasses you keep waiting for the special effects to kick in.

"Bring us your sick and tired, your educated ..."
Edited on 28-05-2018 03:54
28-05-2018 19:32
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Somebody should get this guy an astronomy book. The sun doesn't set in October at the north pole and has already risen.

Did you know there's was more ice this winter than last year in the Arctic?
28-05-2018 23:45
(436)
Only paraphrasing the clip but yes that's what happens up north - it's called the Land of the Midnight Sun because of the summer - rest of the time it's the land of the mid-day midnight and 6 months of it but that don't sell the place so well.

As for your ice update - it's a bit early to call this year as it's measured at the end of the arctic summer, pencil something in for september.
29-05-2018 09:43
(21559)
monckton wrote:
Only paraphrasing the clip but yes that's what happens up north - it's called the Land of the Midnight Sun because of the summer - rest of the time it's the land of the mid-day midnight and 6 months of it but that don't sell the place so well.

As for your ice update - it's a bit early to call this year as it's measured at the end of the arctic summer, pencil something in for september.

Nope. It's measured during the winter.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
29-05-2018 14:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
monckton wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Woj4OyIY0

61 hours so far above freezing at the North Pole in the middle of winter, and at night - the sun set in October. Pack socks a thick jumper and a flask of tea, you're good to go.

Apologies for the guy wearing CGI glasses you keep waiting for the special effects to kick in.

You might this interesting. If you look at the first 100 days it does show Arctic warming. Still, as I told one woman I know is that I don't think we're getting climate change right. Assumptions were made by scientists about how our atmosphere works. Kind of why I'm hoping to try an atmospheric chemistry experiment this year.
..I tend to think that ozone depletion and waste heat have caused changes in the Arctic that allow for more warming.

http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php
29-05-2018 15:04
(436)
Arctic not so chill this record warm winter: scientists
http://www.presstv.com/DetailFr/2018/03/07/554624/Arctic-US-Europe-scientists-global-warming-Alaska-weather

"It's just crazy, crazy stuff," said Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado, who has been studying the Arctic since 1982. "These heat waves, I've never seen anything like this."

It's been so unusually warm that the land weather station closest to the North Pole — at the tip of Greenland — spent more than 60 hours above freezing in February. Before this year, scientists had seen the temperature there rise above freezing in February only twice before, and only ever so briefly...
29-05-2018 15:05
(436)
Into the Night wrote:
Nope. It's measured during the winter.

Give yourself a chance - don't measure it during the winter.

"Bring us your sick and tired, your educated ..."
29-05-2018 15:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
monckton wrote:

..Up there during the winter daytime can be 4 to 6 hours of twilight.
29-05-2018 15:23
(436)
"Sweating in Twilight" - be a good name for a band.

Outlook shows no break in the heat
http://www.thearcticsounder.com/article/1813outlook_shows_no_break_in_the_heat

"With the average temperature hovering north of negative this winter, Utqiaġvik and much of the Arctic once again broke records with a season that didn't match up to historic expectations...

... Arctic sea ice reached its annual maximum extent on March 17, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, with cover at 5.59 million square miles. It's the second-lowest cover on record and just 23,000 square miles more extensive than the record low, which happened last year. The four lowest maximum extents on record have happened recently, in 2015, 2016, 2017 and now, 2018."
29-05-2018 19:30
(21559)
monckton wrote:
"Sweating in Twilight" - be a good name for a band.

Outlook shows no break in the heat
http://www.thearcticsounder.com/article/1813outlook_shows_no_break_in_the_heat

"With the average temperature hovering north of negative this winter, Utqiaġvik and much of the Arctic once again broke records with a season that didn't match up to historic expectations...

... Arctic sea ice reached its annual maximum extent on March 17, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, with cover at 5.59 million square miles. It's the second-lowest cover on record and just 23,000 square miles more extensive than the record low, which happened last year. The four lowest maximum extents on record have happened recently, in 2015, 2016, 2017 and now, 2018."

While at the same time, Antarctica had a maximum record ice extent ever recorded.

Funny how that works, isn't it.?

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-06-2018 11:02
Ablbert_Einstein
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
If climate change was not true why has club penguin disappeared?
Checkmate climate deniers!!!
04-06-2018 20:50
(21559)
Ablbert_Einstein wrote:
If climate change was not true why has club penguin disappeared?
Checkmate climate deniers!!!

Spam.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate "Freakishly Warm" Arctic Weather Has Scientists Reconsidering Worst-Case Scenarios on Climate:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Hey gfm7175 - The Atheist's Worst Nightmare1429-03-2024 15:37
Previous Panics by *Scientists*027-03-2024 20:35
weather2727-02-2024 22:55
Scientists say Florida Keys coral reefs are already bleaching as water temperatures hit record highs1429-07-2023 20:14
New Type of Entanglement Lets Scientists 'See' Inside Nuclei7816-06-2023 18:15
Articles
Appendix B - Calculating The Economic Costs of Extreme Weather Events
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact