Remember me
▼ Content

Flat Earth

Flat Earth07-08-2019 20:15
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
99% of Flat Earth Scientists agree the earth is flat.

Flat Earth Scientist: one who believes the earth is flat.

Environmental Scientist: one who believes in "global warming" and "climate change."
Edited on 07-08-2019 20:28
07-08-2019 20:36
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
What about 1% of them? How can they be called Flat Earth scientists if they don't believe in a flat Earth?
What does a flat Earth religion have to do with climate?
07-08-2019 20:43
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
99% sounds better than 100%.

Same logic.
07-08-2019 21:43
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
Into the Night wrote:
What about 1% of them? How can they be called Flat Earth scientists if they don't believe in a flat Earth?
What does a flat Earth religion have to do with climate?

Flat is sort of a relative term, probably some disagreement with how flat. Some, may think flat, like a beer bottle cap, others might think flat, like an M&M.
07-08-2019 22:56
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
olyz wrote:Environmental Scientist: one who believes in "global warming" and "climate change."

Nope. Environmental scientists are scientists who study environments.

Climate Scientists are not scientists. They are the ones who believe in a global climate called Climate and in the grand violation of physics called Global Warming.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
08-08-2019 09:02
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
olyz wrote:Environmental Scientist: one who believes in "global warming" and "climate change."

Climate Scientists are not scientists. They are the ones who believe in a global climate called Climate and in the grand violation of physics called Global Warming.

Can you prove the Earth isn't flat?
08-08-2019 16:09
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:Can you prove the Earth isn't flat?

That depends.

* Are you asking if I can convince you that the earth is of a particular shape?

* Are you asking if I can construct a logical/mathematical proof of the "roundness" of the earth?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
08-08-2019 20:00
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
olyz wrote:
99% sounds better than 100%.

Same logic.

So there isn't any. Gotit.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
08-08-2019 21:07
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Can you prove the Earth isn't flat?

I can.
08-08-2019 23:07
(3979)
Tim the plumber wrote:
I can.

Me too.

I don't know what version of photoshop was out when we first photographed the Earth from space but I'm calling that reliable evidence.
08-08-2019 23:14
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
tmiddles wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
I can.

Me too.

I don't know what version of photoshop was out when we first photographed the Earth from space but I'm calling that reliable evidence.

I can demonstrate that the earth rotates in a cave without reference to the sky.

It is easy.
08-08-2019 23:17
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:I can demonstrate that the earth rotates in a cave without reference to the sky.

It is easy.

Interesting. How would you determine the direction of rotation?

08-08-2019 23:20
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:

Easy, I'm American so I know I live on top of the world. North over South. Knowing the top I can tell you it's clockwise!
09-08-2019 02:51
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Easy, I'm American so I know I live on top of the world. North over South. Knowing the top I can tell you it's clockwise!

Actually, run me through your experiment, step by step if it's not too much trouble. Maybe it will jog my mind for a different problem I am trying to solve.

09-08-2019 03:10
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:run me through your experiment, step by step

So the joke was based on:

Clockwise/Counter Clockwise are dependent on having a primary side, top/front/face, to the plane you're rotating on. If a clear glass clock is looked at from the back it will run backwards.

So it's only clockwise if you assume that the north pole is up, the plane of rotation being the equator.
09-08-2019 03:53
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:So it's only clockwise if you assume that the north pole is up, the plane of rotation being the equator.

So, going back to Tim the Plumber's assertion, would you be able to tell how the earth is rotating were you in a cave with only basic things like rocks, sticks, leaves, dirt, branches(wood), rope, knives, animal skins, flint, etc...

09-08-2019 06:40
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote:So it's only clockwise if you assume that the north pole is up, the plane of rotation being the equator.

So, going back to Tim the Plumber's assertion, would you be able to tell how the earth is rotating were you in a cave with only basic things like rocks, sticks, leaves, dirt, branches(wood), rope, knives, animal skins, flint, etc...

Ah!

No, If I were in a cave I would have a much longer list of things I couldn't figure out leading up to something like the rotation of the earth.

I would have to outside, accept that the Earth was a spinning ball, know my north form my south, and the sun rising in the east and setting in the west would be enough to feel I got it right.
Edited on 09-08-2019 06:40
09-08-2019 14:02
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
IBdaMann wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:I can demonstrate that the earth rotates in a cave without reference to the sky.

It is easy.

By the direction the fall of the plumb bob went.

That is it will land east of the point it dropped from.

You can work out the latitude of your position from it as well.
09-08-2019 14:40
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
The detail of the experiment is this;

Using a tall room, or cave, anywhere you can close the windows and make sure that the wind is not a factor.

Have a hook or something you can pass a thread over as high as possible.

Take a heavy small ball, something like a lead ball of 2 inch diameter is the idea but whatever, a large ball bearing will do. Or a cannon ball if you have one.

Taking a thread, as thin as you can whilst still being able to lift the ball, tie the ball onto the thread and pass it over the hook. You will want to start the ball a low level.

Have a sand tray or something similar on the floor so you can lower the ball onto it slowly. You will find it will swing about, you will have to steady it. lower the ball onto the sand tray and mark the position. Some lines in the sand will do. This is by definition the point directly below the hook.

Take the ball up to the top of the room by pulling the tread over the hook. It will swing about again. You will have to stop it and allow to settle.

Using a lighter or candle flame cut the tread between the hook and the ball. This is to ensure that you do not impart any sideways motion to the ball.

It will land on the sand tray east of the point that was directly below the hook.

This happens because the ceiling is moving east faster than the floor. So the ball will fall vertically due to gravity but retain its' eastwards velocity.

The period of time it takes to drop compared to the distance away from the vertical below hook position will give you a way to calculate the difference in eastward velocity.

Edited on 09-08-2019 14:41
09-08-2019 15:06
(3979)
Tim the plumber wrote:the ceiling is moving east faster than the floor.

OK If that does work that's pretty cool. I tried to find this any links?
11-08-2019 22:03
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
tmiddles wrote:

It will work. You need a 2 story room or some such. Otherwise the difference is a bit too small to see easily.
12-08-2019 01:29
(3979)
Tim the plumber wrote:
tmiddles wrote:

It will work. You need a 2 story room or some such. Otherwise the difference is a bit too small to see easily.

I did the math in IBdamann's thread on this. other thead Came out to 0.18 MM difference with a 4.9M fall.

Join the debate Flat Earth:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Shocking BBC bias against flat earthers.7028-08-2017 02:01
Sharing a flat with IBdaMann002-09-2016 03:49
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact