▼ Content

Engineers

Page 2 of 4<1234>
29-06-2021 14:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
So, if you put a gravity wheel device in the direct path of the Norwegian Jet Stream, it will spin perpetually? The acceleration of the gravity wheel, is dependent on how much of the ozone layer is depleted. The bigger the ozone hole, the faster it goes?

Yet if doctors knew where the intestines went, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we? If you notice, your stomach isn't where your tummy is. It counter balances your liver. So when you get a "tummy" ache, that's your small intestines being irritated.
At the same time, 9.999 out of 10 Americans don't know where their stomach is.
And if you showed them a map, they would be confused because the map looks wrong.
As for the ozone layer, I would say that it is depleted because of ODSs and hydrocarbons.

Attached image:

Edited on 29-06-2021 15:08
29-06-2021 15:14
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And Harvey, with the Champlain Towers, when water from the Biscayne Aquifer rises through the ground, did the Champlain Towers (its foundation) divert the flow of water? If so then we know where erosion occurred and why, right? Something diverted the flow of water and channeled it in a different direction.
With the investigative editor at the Miami Herald, if this was the cause of the collapse, then when such structures start cracking, it would be time to become concerned. This would show that the said structure is stressed.
29-06-2021 17:46
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With the building inspector, if he made the engineers report known, could the building have been made safe to occupy? This is where it would need to be known where the failure occurred. From what I've read, it was in the basement and not above ground level.
This suggests that the upper floors were structurally sound. This link https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/06/25/engineer-suggests-corrosion-might-be-to-blame-for-champlain-towers-south-partial-collapse/ if correct would mean that the areas exposed to the elements, namely in the basement failed.
And could those supports have been reinforced or repaired? Why Surfside is responsible. Its own building inspector found the building to be safe.

p.s., with something like the building being known to be sinking, did this allow its supporting structure to be compromised?
Edited on 29-06-2021 18:16
29-06-2021 21:44
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14395)

James___ wrote: As for the ozone layer, I would say that it is depleted because of ODSs and hydrocarbons.

At the same time, you would have to admit that the ozone layer is not depleted.

30-06-2021 18:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote: As for the ozone layer, I would say that it is depleted because of ODSs and hydrocarbons.

At the same time, you would have to admit that the ozone layer is not depleted.

The ozone layer is recovering. My initial interest was in understanding this process so a sustainable solution could be pursued. I think that's what the focus should be on but it isn't.
And if things work out for me, then I might be able to change that. And since I live in Kentucky, I thought they would like something like that but they don't.
30-06-2021 19:10
(14395)

James___ wrote: The ozone layer is recovering.

The ozone cannot "recover" if it was never depleted in the first place.

James___ wrote: My initial interest was in understanding this process so a sustainable solution could be pursued.

Let me aid your understanding.

The sun is a hugely successful ozone creator.

The sun is, for all intents and purposes, a sustainable source.

James__, I have great news! We already have a sustainable source for earth's ozone! We can start celebrating today!

James___ wrote:I think that's what the focus should be on but it isn't.

Naturally we shouldn't focus on finding a solution that we already have, especially when that solution is already hooked up and operational.

James___ wrote: And if things work out for me, then I might be able to change that.

You don't have to wait. You can already abandon your focus for the sustainable solution that we already have. Consider this your lucky day.

30-06-2021 20:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote: The ozone layer is recovering.

The ozone cannot "recover" if it was never depleted in the first place.

James___ wrote: My initial interest was in understanding this process so a sustainable solution could be pursued.

Let me aid your understanding.

The sun is a hugely successful ozone creator.

The sun is, for all intents and purposes, a sustainable source.

James__, I have great news! We already have a sustainable source for earth's ozone! We can start celebrating today!

James___ wrote:I think that's what the focus should be on but it isn't.

Naturally we shouldn't focus on finding a solution that we already have, especially when that solution is already hooked up and operational.

James___ wrote: And if things work out for me, then I might be able to change that.

You don't have to wait. You can already abandon your focus for the sustainable solution that we already have. Consider this your lucky day.

Any chance that you're a "born again" Christian like gfm? I think this is why I was not comfortable going to church. The church doesn't really care for people to have other interests. I think that like with you, they don't understand that Jesus ministry has grown. With that said Jesus did say Matthew 5:15; Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
This is where many Christians like yourself and gfm say that a person needs live according to the scripture as their church says even when the scripture says that the church should be a guiding light. I think this is where Christians like yourself cause me problems. I don't belong to your church.
30-06-2021 21:41
(14395)

James___ wrote: Any chance that you're a "born again" Christian like gfm?

There's absolutely a very high likelihood that I am due to my being an atheist. It was very astute of you to notice.

James___ wrote:I think this is why I was not comfortable going to church.

I totally understand. Church is very uncomfortable, mostly because of the pews. Also, a huge contributing factor to the discomfort is all the sitting, standing, sitting, kneeling, standing, sitting, kneeling, standing, kneeling, standing, kneeling, sitting, standing, sitting, kneeling, [repeat].

I think you have a particularly valid point.

James___ wrote:The church doesn't really care for people to have other interests.

Au contraire mon frère, the Catholic Church, for example, has a lot at stake to motivate all Catholic adults to have rampant and frenetic sex (within the sanctity of marriage, of course) and to produce as many children as humanly possible which are then quickly baptized into the Church. This is why birth control is absolutely prohibited and why a woman being barren is the only valid reason for divorcing her.

James___ wrote: ... Jesus did say Matthew 5:15; Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.

Yup. Jesus was talking about bikinis. This was the way people of Jesus' day said "Girl, if you've got it, flaunt it! ... and people will totally respect you for your mind so shake it, baby, shake it."

... or you can say the light-on-a-stand thing.

James___ wrote: This is where many Christians like yourself and gfm say that a person needs live according to the scripture as their church says even when the scripture says that the church should be a guiding light.

I think you owe gfm7175 a double-apology. One for lumping him in with the likes of me and two, for forcing him to parse this bizarre clause.

James___ wrote: I think this is where Christians like yourself cause me problems. I don't belong to your church.

Could you tell me what part of my fundamentalist Christian dogma is currently giving you problems?

01-07-2021 01:49
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
James your obsession with the Ozone in the atmosphere was a proven hoax 30 years ago.You are making it up
01-07-2021 02:08
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
There is some sort of relationship between arctic ice, and the ozone holes. Every year arctic ice melts (at an alarming rate), at the same time, the ozone hole shrinks. This happens during the summer months. The winter, the ice reforms, the ozone hole get bigger. It's insane. Crazy planet we live on, and yet the polar bears and penguins manage to survive, and strive. Mostly from knocking over garbage cans, and spreading trash all over the neighborhoods.

Back to Miami... These were condos, not HUD project housing. The basement was probably one of the few places where the structure was exposed.
01-07-2021 03:28
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
James your obsession with the Ozone in the atmosphere was a proven hoax 30 years ago.You are making it up

With ODSs reducing the amount of oxygen in the Chapman cycle, there wasn't much of a debate over it like there is with CO2 causing global warming. Scientists were pretty much in agreement.
Besides, one reason for my "obsession" is that I may have made a couple of important discoveries. I am mindful of this. I'll take a moment to boast if you don't mind. I asked a question and he lost it. He accused me of posting a new theory of which I asked if anyone had observed a certain relationship.
Attached image:

01-07-2021 03:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And this is where he went on a rant. With the what I was asking about, it was about a specific relationship between gravity and something else. And as he mentioned, he went to university while I didn't. So I can't ask if a certain mathematical relationship has been observed. By his reaction, it hadn't.
From my perspective, they were defending their territory much like a "real" American would. And if my experiment and the other observations I made are found to be correct, then I'd be suggesting that astrophysics plays a role in atmospheric chemistry and physics. Kind of why I'd like to work with actual scientists on this.
Basically this is PhD level work. If I'm right, then the work I am pursuing will be important to better understanding GeoSciences.

p.s., I hear in Australia they need people who are willing to adopt koalas. Since I'm not a scientist that might be worth my looking into.

Some know I have asked Southern Cross University in East Linsmore to perform a basic atmospheric chemistry experiment. Friends of the Koala is an easy walk through a park to their campus. And if I don't make it to Australia, those who like koalas will know I support what they're doing.

p.s.s., as for me, a lot of what I've worked on is because of my medical situation.
There is no one in the US who can help me. And by being successful, accountability might be considered. As for scientists, I represent a dilemma. If you had a PhD, would you want someone who isn't a scientist showing you what you missed?
In astronomy, amateur astronomers are accepted. After that there are no amateur scientists. Why there's a dilemma.

As for the image, he deleted my post. This is where if someone made an accurate timeline for work that is related to atmospheric chemistry, they're reconsider a few things. And it is my interest in the ozone layer that made me aware of what was in the IPCC's 2013 report. This gave me a process to "verify" just as someone would do in trigonometric identities. Basically try and figure out how the more complicated side can equal the less complicated side.

Attached image:

Edited on 01-07-2021 04:12
03-07-2021 12:06
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
duncan61 wrote:...One mechanical engineer ...was inspiring...it is too complicated to prove....For some reason I found this compelling...

You found what you wanted to hear compelling.

Duncan you do realize this is that very definition of confirmation bias right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You are looking for what you want to find and then find your opinion confirmed when you find it.

Watch Behind the Curve https://www.netflix.com/title/81015076 and you'll see a Mechanical Engineer who believes the Earth is flat.

Something he has in common with Steven Brandenburg, the Wisconsin pharmacist who destroyed COVID-19 vaccines.

Here is the real question:
What is your methodology for determining what is true?

It is certainly not the Scientific Method so far.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is valid for IBD or ITN
Edited on 03-07-2021 12:07
03-07-2021 18:08
(5196)
James___ wrote:
And this is where he went on a rant. With the what I was asking about, it was about a specific relationship between gravity and something else. And as he mentioned, he went to university while I didn't. So I can't ask if a certain mathematical relationship has been observed. By his reaction, it hadn't.
From my perspective, they were defending their territory much like a "real" American would. And if my experiment and the other observations I made are found to be correct, then I'd be suggesting that astrophysics plays a role in atmospheric chemistry and physics. Kind of why I'd like to work with actual scientists on this.
Basically this is PhD level work. If I'm right, then the work I am pursuing will be important to better understanding GeoSciences.

p.s., I hear in Australia they need people who are willing to adopt koalas. Since I'm not a scientist that might be worth my looking into.

Some know I have asked Southern Cross University in East Linsmore to perform a basic atmospheric chemistry experiment. Friends of the Koala is an easy walk through a park to their campus. And if I don't make it to Australia, those who like koalas will know I support what they're doing.

p.s.s., as for me, a lot of what I've worked on is because of my medical situation.
There is no one in the US who can help me. And by being successful, accountability might be considered. As for scientists, I represent a dilemma. If you had a PhD, would you want someone who isn't a scientist showing you what you missed?
In astronomy, amateur astronomers are accepted. After that there are no amateur scientists. Why there's a dilemma.

As for the image, he deleted my post. This is where if someone made an accurate timeline for work that is related to atmospheric chemistry, they're reconsider a few things. And it is my interest in the ozone layer that made me aware of what was in the IPCC's 2013 report. This gave me a process to "verify" just as someone would do in trigonometric identities. Basically try and figure out how the more complicated side can equal the less complicated side.

You posted your perpetual motion device on a physics forum, and got banned?
04-07-2021 00:54
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Nope. I asked a question about physics and got banned. The mentor said I am an "American". That means that he is like you, an Amazon employee. You win.
04-07-2021 04:18
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
tmiddles wrote:
duncan61 wrote:...One mechanical engineer ...was inspiring...it is too complicated to prove....For some reason I found this compelling...

You found what you wanted to hear compelling.

Duncan you do realize this is that very definition of confirmation bias right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You are looking for what you want to find and then find your opinion confirmed when you find it.

Watch Behind the Curve https://www.netflix.com/title/81015076 and you'll see a Mechanical Engineer who believes the Earth is flat.

Something he has in common with Steven Brandenburg, the Wisconsin pharmacist who destroyed COVID-19 vaccines.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is valid for IBD or ITN

I am meeting a lot of people who have an opinion and I did like this young mans veiw because it did fit in with my veiw he just stated it better than I ever have.Its good to have you back tmiddles you make this forum interesting.I went away for a bit but have failed to find an open debate forum like this

duncan61
04-07-2021 15:26
(5196)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Nope. I asked a question about physics and got banned. The mentor said I am an "American". That means that he is like you, an Amazon employee. You win.

Physics is very large field. Are you sure you were asking at the right forum? There is actual science, and there is an alternative, more 'progressive', liberal science. Which is always agenda driven. If your question doesn't support the agenda, it's dismissed as nonsense. If it something that undermines the agenda, you get banned...
05-07-2021 03:23
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

Physics is very large field. Are you sure you were asking at the right forum? There is actual science, and there is an alternative, more 'progressive', liberal science. Which is always agenda driven. If your question doesn't support the agenda, it's dismissed as nonsense. If it something that undermines the agenda, you get banned...

I think the moderator got upset because it's entirely possible that I made a new discovery. He told me that I could not post new theories and I told him that I was asking if what I realized had been observed before.
He also told me that if my work were published in a journal which is peer reviewed then I could discuss it in that forum. I told him I could submit a paper to a journal but he was to busy attacking me.
At the same time, he went to university so I couldn't know something that he doesn't. At the same time, that is also how work is stolen. I do have my work posted online and a Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics in Germany knows about it. This gets into CO2 + H2O > CH2O and O2.
Then 2CH2O > CH4 and CO2. There are a few reports that say (MBL means Marine Boundary Layer) and oxidation simply means that oxygen is the catalyst that causes a reaction to happen.

However, a detailed investigation including meteorological effects such as precipitation scavenging and convection reveals an uncertainty in state-of- the-art model predictions for CH2O in the MBL that is too large for a meaningful test of the current understanding of CH4 photo-oxidation.

I did request the full report from its authors. I did let them know that I am pursuing my own theory. With my theory, conservation of energy or momentum is what allows for the process to work. And my process goes from CH2O to CH4.
In the physics forum, I noticed a mathematical relationship in astrophysics and atmospheric pressure. And that kind of goes with my work in atmospheric chemistry. It is odd to think about it but if doctors didn't screw me over then I wouldn't be pursuing stuff like this. At the same time, if my work proves out then I'll be rewriting a few things in physics.
Basically, if I am right about 2CH2O which is the same as CH2O + CH2O > CH4 and CO2, then the process might be named after me. And Harvey, I do understand this stuff. My hearing loss gave me a lot of time to read, learn and consider things.
05-07-2021 06:15
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I have met another engineer this time structural and retired.He had no answers but was concerned for his childrens future however freely admitted to not knowing anything about the subject just that electric cars will not be the solution as you have to plug them in somewhere
06-07-2021 17:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21592)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
So, if you put a gravity wheel device in the direct path of the Norwegian Jet Stream, it will spin perpetually? The acceleration of the gravity wheel, is dependent on how much of the ozone layer is depleted. The bigger the ozone hole, the faster it goes?

As for the ozone layer, I would say that it is depleted because of ODSs and hydrocarbons.

The ozone layer isn't depleted and never was. It is not possible to destroy the ozone layer or even damage it. As long as there is oxygen and sunlight you will have an ozone layer.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
06-07-2021 17:53
(21592)
James___ wrote:
The ozone layer is recovering.

There is no recovery. The ozone layer was never damaged. It is not possible to destroy the ozone layer, even if we wanted to.
James___ wrote:
My initial interest was in understanding this process so a sustainable solution could be pursued.
You do not want to understand how ozone is created and destroyed. You deny it all to pursue your religion.
James___ wrote:
I think that's what the focus should be on but it isn't.

The Church of the Ozone Hole is still there and still bases it's beliefs on a denial of physics. You have come up with all kinds of wacky ways to explain your belief, all of them deny physics in some way.

The ozone layer thinning story and the creation of this religion was started by the DuPont corporation.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
06-07-2021 17:55
(21592)
James___ wrote:
Any chance that you're a "born again" Christian like gfm?

You're asking this of IBD????!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'll let him explain it to you!

The Parrot Killer

06-07-2021 17:57
(21592)
James___ wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

With ODSs reducing the amount of oxygen in the Chapman cycle, there wasn't much of a debate over it like there is with CO2 causing global warming. Scientists were pretty much in agreement.

Converting oxygen to ozone and back again doesn't reduce oxygen.

The Parrot Killer

06-07-2021 18:00
(21592)
tmiddles wrote:

Science has no method. Science is a set of falsiffiable theories, not a Universal Truth.

The Parrot Killer

06-07-2021 18:02
(21592)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

I think the moderator got upset because it's entirely possible that I made a new discovery. He told me that I could not post new theories and I told him that I was asking if what I realized had been observed before.
He also told me that if my work were published in a journal which is peer reviewed then I could discuss it in that forum. I told him I could submit a paper to a journal but he was to busy attacking me.
At the same time, he went to university so I couldn't know something that he doesn't. At the same time, that is also how work is stolen. I do have my work posted online and a Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics in Germany knows about it. This gets into CO2 + H2O > CH2O and O2.
Then 2CH2O > CH4 and CO2. There are a few reports that say (MBL means Marine Boundary Layer) and oxidation simply means that oxygen is the catalyst that causes a reaction to happen.

However, a detailed investigation including meteorological effects such as precipitation scavenging and convection reveals an uncertainty in state-of- the-art model predictions for CH2O in the MBL that is too large for a meaningful test of the current understanding of CH4 photo-oxidation.

I did request the full report from its authors. I did let them know that I am pursuing my own theory. With my theory, conservation of energy or momentum is what allows for the process to work. And my process goes from CH2O to CH4.
In the physics forum, I noticed a mathematical relationship in astrophysics and atmospheric pressure. And that kind of goes with my work in atmospheric chemistry. It is odd to think about it but if doctors didn't screw me over then I wouldn't be pursuing stuff like this. At the same time, if my work proves out then I'll be rewriting a few things in physics.
Basically, if I am right about 2CH2O which is the same as CH2O + CH2O > CH4 and CO2, then the process might be named after me. And Harvey, I do understand this stuff. My hearing loss gave me a lot of time to read, learn and consider things.

It is not possible to have any theory of science conflict with any other theory of science. One or both are false.

The Parrot Killer

06-07-2021 19:47
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
James___ wrote:

IBD says that he is an atheist. Last I checked, that is not a "born again" Christian (as I am).

James___ wrote:
I think this is why I was not comfortable going to church. The church doesn't really care for people to have other interests.

Churches, as far as I am aware, are fine with people having various interests besides attending church, giving an offering, and reading The Bible.

James___ wrote:
I think that like with you, they don't understand that Jesus ministry has grown. With that said Jesus did say Matthew 5:15; Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.

Yes, Christians have a mission to share the gospel to the world, and they are to "let their light shine" (bring light into the darkness) so that those living in darkness might be saved.

James___ wrote:
This is where many Christians like yourself and gfm say that a person needs live according to the scripture as their church says even when the scripture says that the church should be a guiding light.

I agree with IBD that you owe me a double apology.

I'm not clear as to what you're trying to say here...

James___ wrote:
I think this is where Christians like yourself cause me problems. I don't belong to your church.

How so?

06-07-2021 23:59
(14395)
gfm7175 wrote:IBD says that he is an atheist. Last I checked, that is not a "born again" Christian (as I am).

Hold on ... are you saying that they are not the same? Now I'm confused. I thought that both Born-Again Christians and Atheists hold that air and freedom are good, that one should return to Caesar what is Caesar's, and that he who is without sin gets to throw out the first pitch.

James___ wrote:Churches, as far as I am aware, are fine with people having various interests besides attending church, giving an offering, and reading The Bible.

... but the Catholic Church would prefer you first get their permission in writing, which comes with a nominal paperwork fee.

James___ wrote:Yes, Christians have a mission to share the gospel to the world, and they are to "let their light shine" (bring light into the darkness) so that those living in darkness might be saved.

Are you sure it's not because God is concerned about us reading with proper lighting?

James___ wrote:I agree with IBD that you owe me a double apology.

By now it would be more like a 2.087x apology (with interest).

07-07-2021 01:20
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
James___ wrote:

IBD says that he is an atheist. Last I checked, that is not a "born again" Christian (as I am).

It's just that the 2 of you are like 2 peas in a pod. Just difficult to tell you apart.
07-07-2021 16:41
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:IBD says that he is an atheist. Last I checked, that is not a "born again" Christian (as I am).

Hold on ... are you saying that they are not the same? Now I'm confused. I thought that both Born-Again Christians and Atheists hold that air and freedom are good, that one should return to Caesar what is Caesar's, and that he who is without sin gets to throw out the first pitch.

IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:Churches, as far as I am aware, are fine with people having various interests besides attending church, giving an offering, and reading The Bible.

... but the Catholic Church would prefer you first get their permission in writing, which comes with a nominal paperwork fee.

Good ol' Catholics...

IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:Yes, Christians have a mission to share the gospel to the world, and they are to "let their light shine" (bring light into the darkness) so that those living in darkness might be saved.

Are you sure it's not because God is concerned about us reading with proper lighting?

You might be onto something there...
Humans DO have poor night vision compared to many animals... I suppose God could've just given us some decent night vision to begin with, but nope, he opted to turn on the lights instead.

IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:I agree with IBD that you owe me a double apology.

By now it would be more like a 2.087x apology (with interest).

True... I assume that this is compounding interest?
07-07-2021 16:45
(3314)
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
James___ wrote:

It's just that the 2 of you are like 2 peas in a pod. Just difficult to tell you apart.

... ??? Really??

I think it's pretty easy to tell us apart... Oh well.
07-07-2021 18:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
gfm7175 wrote:
James___ wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
James___ wrote:

... ??? Really??

I think it's pretty easy to tell us apart... Oh well.

I think she speaks for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA
09-07-2021 15:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With this about the condo collapse in Florida, the floor of the garage is of no interest. Yet if it sank by millimeters per year for 3 decades, that could add up to 10 centimeters or 4 inches. The floor of the garage was tied into the support for the building itself. If it wasn't "settling" evenly then it could place more load on some of the support columns.
The pool was above the garage and engineers that have "weighed" in say they sees no signs of images before the collapse that were of any real concern. And with a loud creaking sound having came from the building days before the collapse, that could've been the result of how that part of the building was "settling".

Two days prior to the building collapse, a pool contractor noted deep standing water in a similar location as one of the largest puddles visible in the 2020 video. The contractor also documented significant corrosion to a beam around the pool, although the damage he photographed was not in the area of the building that collapsed.

The 2020 video also shows a large crack in the concrete floor of the basement-level garage but experts said that was likely not something that should be a major cause for concern. The crack was unlikely to have contributed to the progressive collapse of the whole north side of the structure, which began after what experts described as slab failure in the garage ceiling visible in a video taken moments before the building collapsed.

"This slab is laying on top of the dirt," Batista explained. "So an engineer, walking through [the basement garage], is more concerned with any cracks or spalling that are at the floor level and above, not really anything that is at the floor level and below."
09-07-2021 18:49
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With water pooling up on the floor of the garage, did it come from the Biscayne aquifer under south Florida? If so, then that could change the ground density under the building. It did seem to start it's collapse from the center. And if any has lived in the Seattle area they know about liquification of the ground.
09-07-2021 23:21
(21592)
James___ wrote:
With water pooling up on the floor of the garage, did it come from the Biscayne aquifer under south Florida? If so, then that could change the ground density under the building. It did seem to start it's collapse from the center. And if any has lived in the Seattle area they know about liquification of the ground.

Oddly enough, they don't. Neither do you.

The Parrot Killer

10-07-2021 04:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

That's just sad ITN.
10-07-2021 18:49
(21592)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

That's just sad ITN.

I agree. Even what you 'know' even about the Pacific Northwest is wrong.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 10-07-2021 18:50
11-07-2021 04:21
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Back to the young Engineer who stated "The global warming theory is a social exersize"I have just downloaded an app from recfishwest on Freshwater angling in W.A.We are very limited here with few streams that flow all year and I recall from the 70s to now how everyone keeps claiming there is less and less rainfall.Recfishwest state on the app that due to climate change its going to be harder and harder to stock the rivers.Friday it rained so hard all the streets flooded and people were stranded on the freeway.I saw it coming and heard the warnings on the radio plus the room I was working in became to dark to see.I had a choice set up lighting or pack my gear and go home.I went home and just made it before the deluge.There is no way it could of been the cold front coming from Antartica and colliding with warm moist air from the North.It was CO2 and proof we have to turn off the power or you guessed it.We are all going to die
11-07-2021 06:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This article discusses some about the issues of underground garages in South Florida.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/fl-ne-underground-garages-florida-20210710-54ifquwylzfqlnd6fnrx5o4tha-story.html
11-07-2021 06:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
Back to the young Engineer who stated "The global warming theory is a social exersize"I have just downloaded an app from recfishwest on Freshwater angling in W.A.We are very limited here with few streams that flow all year and I recall from the 70s to now how everyone keeps claiming there is less and less rainfall.Recfishwest state on the app that due to climate change its going to be harder and harder to stock the rivers.Friday it rained so hard all the streets flooded and people were stranded on the freeway.I saw it coming and heard the warnings on the radio plus the room I was working in became to dark to see.I had a choice set up lighting or pack my gear and go home.I went home and just made it before the deluge.There is no way it could of been the cold front coming from Antartica and colliding with warm moist air from the North.It was CO2 and proof we have to turn off the power or you guessed it.We are all going to die

Wait until summer mate!
11-07-2021 06:41
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
What will happen then??
Page 2 of 4<1234>

Join the debate Engineers:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact