▼ Content

Energy and resource crisis in the future

Page 5 of 10<<<34567>>>
20-12-2019 18:10
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
few trillion years

The oil age is over after a few decades and after that the game is over.
20-12-2019 18:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
Xadoman wrote: The oil age is over after a few decades and after that the game is over.

You are mistaken. You are preaching idiocies that you have been directed to regurgitate. You are a very obedient minister of your faith. It must suck to be you but I'm sure you are considered a valuable asset to your church.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
20-12-2019 18:32
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
You are mistaken. You are preaching idiocies that you have been directed to regurgitate. You are a very obedient minister of your faith. It must suck to be you but I'm sure you are considered a valuable asset to your church.

Hiding the head in the sand does not suck?
20-12-2019 18:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:
few trillion years

The oil age is over after a few decades and after that the game is over.

We have more oil available than ever. The stuff's cheap right now. It is also a renewable resource.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-12-2019 18:50
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:

Hiding the head in the sand does not suck?

You would know. The energy markets are public knowledge. People trade in energy. But you ignore this.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-12-2019 19:45
(14377)
Xadoman wrote: Hiding the head in the sand does not suck?

I'm just now reading the memo directing you to respond in that manner.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
20-12-2019 20:35
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
It is also a renewable resource.

I use wood to heat the house. I takes at least 30 years for a tree to grow up to meaningful size. If everyone would start to use wood to heat the house then all the forests are gone very soon. The same story with oil. At current rate of consumption it is going to be depleted soon. Global warming is simply a distraction for the real problem- depletion of oil.
20-12-2019 20:46
(14377)
Xadoman wrote: The same story with oil. At current rate of consumption it is going to be depleted soon.

You are pretending to know things that no human knows, probably because your Global Warming church leaders made you believe that your unquestioning faith somehow bestows divine knowledge upon you ... and that you are now some sort of scientific genius.

1) You do not know the current supply of hydrocarbons in the earth.

2) You do not know the rate at which the earth produces hydrocarbons.

3) You do not know exactly how the earth produces hydrocarbons because no human has ever observed the earth producing hydrocarbons, but we generally have a good idea from labratory synthesis of petroleum via conditions present in the earth's crust and mantle.

If you'd like a better understanding, you might be able to coax Into the Night into reviewing the process.

20-12-2019 21:28
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:...oil ...is also a renewable resource.
A wildly speculative theory stated as fact. Citation ITN? Does the industry agree with you? Safe to say they are motivated experts on the subject.
IBdaMann wrote:You do not know ...You do not know ...You do not know...
ITN seems to magickally know IBD, ask him.

Xadoman wrote:If everyone would start to use wood to heat the house then all the forests are gone very soon.
Wouldn't you agree this is a population/consumption based issue? The current trends have the population leveling off and possibly even beginning to contract in the next 100 years. Of course it's also going to be a more opulent lifestyle across the board as things are going so usage will likely go way up.

BUT if the population drops and we actually manage our resources I think there is plenty of time to get it right. I like your focus though as a better way of focusing the debate on human welfare.
20-12-2019 21:34
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:
It is also a renewable resource.

I use wood to heat the house. I takes at least 30 years for a tree to grow up to meaningful size.
The average age of a Christmas tree from a farm is about 5-7 years. The average age of a tree in the papermaking farms is about 7 years. The average age of a tree from the lumber farms is about 30 years. As a fuel, wood is inefficient. Why are you using wood for fuel?
Xadoman wrote:
If everyone would start to use wood to heat the house then all the forests are gone very soon.

Most people have advance beyond the use of wood for fuel, dude (except for campfires).
Xadoman wrote:
The same story with oil.
Oil is a renewable resource. So are trees.
Xadoman wrote:
At current rate of consumption it is going to be depleted soon.

Oil is not being depleted.
Xadoman wrote:
Global warming is simply a distraction for the real problem- depletion of oil.

Oil is not being depleted.

There is plenty of oil on the market right now. It's cheap. YOU don't get to dictate energy markets.

The Parrot Killer

20-12-2019 21:39
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
A wildly speculative theory stated as fact. Citation ITN?

Already given to you. RQAA.
tmiddles wrote:
Does the industry agree with you?
Yes. RQAA.
tmiddles wrote:
Safe to say they are motivated experts on the subject.
That they are. They also know a hell of lot more about oil than you do.
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:You do not know ...You do not know ...You do not know...
ITN seems to magickally know IBD, ask him.
IBDaMann is correct. We do not know any of these things. However, the whole Earth is making oil, and our puny little wells are not much of a draw on that resource.
tmiddles wrote:
Xadoman wrote:If everyone would start to use wood to heat the house then all the forests are gone very soon.
Wouldn't you agree this is a population/consumption based issue? The current trends have the population leveling off and possibly even beginning to contract in the next 100 years. Of course it's also going to be a more opulent lifestyle across the board as things are going so usage will likely go way up.

BUT if the population drops and we actually manage our resources I think there is plenty of time to get it right.

YOU don't get to dictate energy markets.
tmiddles wrote:
I like your focus though as a better way of focusing the debate on human welfare.

Fascism is not human welfare.

The Parrot Killer

20-12-2019 22:22
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:However, the whole Earth is making oil, ....
Stated as fact with zero evidence.

You post so endlessly and yet pretend you can't find the time to link to things.

Such BS.
20-12-2019 22:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
tmiddles wrote:
A wildly speculative theory stated as fact. Citation ITN? Does the industry agree with you? Safe to say they are motivated experts on the subject.

Umm, depends on what you consider oil to be. If you're talking about about aviation fuel and gasoline, it might become a renewable energy source. It would of course take energy and when electricity becomes cheap enough, could happen.
This would also keep things that use fuel from increasing CO2 levels.
With the world population, it would be nice if people choose to have fewer kids but then 1 out of 5 Americans lives in either the New York, Chicago or Los Angeles metropolitan areas.
Watch Demolition Man, it takes place in the L.A.-San Diego metroplex. Wouldn't be surprised if one day Los Angeles and San Diego become one metropolitan area. Then people could live in at an expensive destination. And that is status which people like.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2019/10/08/carbon-engineering-taking-co2-right-out-of-the-air-to-make-gasoline/
20-12-2019 22:48
(3979)
James___ wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2019/10/08/carbon-engineering-taking-co2-right-out-of-the-air-to-make-gasoline/
Yeah that's badass! If it's humans creating it there's very little you can rule out.
20-12-2019 22:51
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)

3) You do not know exactly how the earth produces hydrocarbons because no human has ever observed the earth producing hydrocarbons, but we generally have a good idea from labratory synthesis of petroleum via conditions present in the earth's crust and mantle.

1) I know the consuption. It is enormous . And the fact that oil wells are depleted and they need to search for new wells constantly.

2) We know the rate of consumption. The oil wells get depleted and will be abandoned. The formation of oil ( if there is any ) is smaller than the rate of pumping.

3)We also know that it is possible to clone organism in the lab. Does not mean that somewhere in the jungle cloning just happens.
20-12-2019 22:59
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
It would of course take energy and when electricity becomes cheap enough

Not possible when coal etc resources used are depleting each and every day. The price could only go up.
20-12-2019 23:07
(3979)
Xadoman wrote:
3)We also know that it is possible to clone organism in the lab. Does not mean that somewhere in the jungle cloning just happens.
Good one!

Yes "possibly" doesn't mean "actually"
21-12-2019 00:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:
Yeah that's badass! If it's humans creating it there's very little you can rule out.

The one constant I keep coming up with is that a better solar panel might be one of the most important innovations. When you consider desalination, turning captured carbon into fuel, etc., a cheap source of energy is needed.
With hydrocarbons, the main issue might be trying to keeping our planet from becoming like Beijing
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-pollution-beijing/chinas-capital-beijing-vows-air-quality-improvement-but-gives-no-target-idUSKCN1Q90TU

One issue not mentioned is new housing construction. Is the lumber used from a sustainable market source or is it deforestation? I haven't seen anything on the amount of solar radiation absorption being lost. This increases the net amount of solar radiation in the atmosphere.
This is where a better solar panel can reduce the amount of solar radiation in the atmosphere.
Edited on 21-12-2019 00:32
21-12-2019 00:52
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:However, the whole Earth is making oil, ....
Stated as fact with zero evidence.

You post so endlessly and yet pretend you can't find the time to link to things.

Such BS.

RDCF RQAA

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 00:53
(21559)
James___ wrote:
tmiddles wrote:

Umm, depends on what you consider oil to be.

Raw crude oil.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 00:55
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:

You are now locked in another paradox. Which is it, dude?

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 00:58
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:

1) I know the consuption.

No, you don't.
Xadoman wrote:
It is enormous.

Incomplete comparison...against what?
Xadoman wrote:
And the fact that oil wells are depleted and they need to search for new wells constantly.

Oil wells refill.
Xadoman wrote:
2) We know the rate of consumption.

No, you don't.
Xadoman wrote:
The oil wells get depleted and will be abandoned.

Nope. They are capped temporarily and they refill.
Xadoman wrote:
The formation of oil ( if there is any ) is smaller than the rate of pumping.

You don't know the rate of formation.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 00:59
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:
It would of course take energy and when electricity becomes cheap enough

Not possible when coal etc resources used are depleting each and every day. The price could only go up.

Then why has been going down???

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 01:00
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
Xadoman wrote:
Good one!

Yes "possibly" doesn't mean "actually"

Go read up on the cloning procedure, dumbass.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 01:04
(21559)
James___ wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:

The one constant I keep coming up with is that a better solar panel might be one of the most important innovations. When you consider desalination, turning captured carbon into fuel, etc., a cheap source of energy is needed.
With hydrocarbons, the main issue might be trying to keeping our planet from becoming like Beijing
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-pollution-beijing/chinas-capital-beijing-vows-air-quality-improvement-but-gives-no-target-idUSKCN1Q90TU

Not likely. Most folks burn their fuel much more efficiently than in Bejing.
James___ wrote:
One issue not mentioned is new housing construction. Is the lumber used from a sustainable market source or is it deforestation?
Sustainable. It all comes from farmed trees.
James___ wrote:
I haven't seen anything on the amount of solar radiation absorption being lost. This increases the net amount of solar radiation in the atmosphere.
This is where a better solar panel can reduce the amount of solar radiation in the atmosphere.

Word salad.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 02:03
(14377)
tmiddles wrote:You post so endlessly and yet pretend you can't find the time to link to things.

You ignore endlessly and yet expect people to continue expending effort.

Such BS.

21-12-2019 03:17
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:

People can manufacture hydro carbons. We can also grow fuel and plants can grow without any help from us ABOVE GROUND. What there is no evidence of whatsoever is that oil is being made underground right now. You have nothing to support that and you state it as a fact.

because you are insane.

IBdaMann wrote:...expect people to continue expending effort.
You never made any attempt to answer anything in my sig for example. There is nothing to link to because it never happened.

Because you got OWNED! De to the bunked!!

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them
Edited on 21-12-2019 03:20
21-12-2019 03:47
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:

People can manufacture hydro carbons. We can also grow fuel and plants can grow without any help from us ABOVE GROUND. What there is no evidence of whatsoever is that oil is being made underground right now. You have nothing to support that and you state it as a fact.

Irrational. Which is it, dude? You are still locked in paradox.
tmiddles wrote:
because you are insane.

It is YOU making irrational arguments.
tmiddles wrote:
You never made any attempt to answer anything in my sig for example. There is nothing to link to because it never happened.

You have entered another paradox. Now you are being irrational about sigs in posts.
tmiddles wrote:

Void argument fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 04:52
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
James___ wrote:

because you are insane.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them

Crude oil is possibly created from wetlands and marshes. After enough millenia the land builds up around and over them.
When dinosaurs roamed the Earth it was probably a slightly smaller planet. And because of the solar wind and gravity, over the eons it has gained mass.
Theoretically speaking, crude oil is being formed. Just give it about 50 million years give or take a few.
21-12-2019 05:58
Amanbir GrewalProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(123)
they kill you Grant, that is the 'event' in a Bernoulli scheme of things.

I will put this climate change right in the middle of the right as a military formation.

OYE, You listen to me, we been with each other before, yes we have,

LOL, oi, you relax!! relax!!
21-12-2019 12:41
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
The average age of a tree in the papermaking farms is about 7 years.

Maybe in the tropical jungle. 7 years old tree is a christmas tree , I agree, but to cut it to feed the paper industry is silly. I have never seen such thing in real life. The wood is cut when the forest is matured and then you have to wait 70-80 years to cut it again.

As a fuel, wood is inefficient. Why are you using wood for fuel?

It is the cheapest way to heat the house . I also happen to have 50 hectars of forest so I do not have to pay for wood at all. Only physical labour is required which I take as a workout.

Most people have advance beyond the use of wood for fuel, dude (except for campfires).

The reason for that is that it is not possible to heat all homes with wood. All forest would be gone in a couple of months.

People can manufacture hydro carbons.

Using coal etc. quickly depleting resource. It is a dead end.
21-12-2019 14:31
Amanbir GrewalProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(123)
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ON ABOUT YOU FREAK!
21-12-2019 15:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:

Maybe in the tropical jungle. 7 years old tree is a christmas tree , I agree, but to cut it to feed the paper industry is silly. I have never seen such thing in real life. The wood is cut when the forest is matured and then you have to wait 70-80 years to cut it again.

It is the cheapest way to heat the house . I also happen to have 50 hectars of forest so I do not have to pay for wood at all. Only physical labour is required which I take as a workout.

The reason for that is that it is not possible to heat all homes with wood. All forest would be gone in a couple of months.

Many paper mills in the US have tree farms. This ensures a supply of pulp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsPwW047mKo

Captured CO2 can be converted back into fuel again. It can allow for an indefinite supply of oil. I posted a link in my previous post in this thread. This way if electricity (battery powered) planes are not viable, then aviation fuel can be manufactured even if there is no oil in the ground.
21-12-2019 18:57
(14377)
James___ wrote: Theoretically speaking, crude oil is being formed. Just give it about 50 million years give or take a few.

Why do you believe that forming hydrocarbons requires millions of years when you know that they can be created in a lab within hours?

James___ wrote: Crude oil is possibly created from wetlands and marshes.

Why would you imagine it is somehow possible in wetlands and marshes if high temperatures and pressures are required?

21-12-2019 19:51
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: Theoretically speaking, crude oil is being formed. Just give it about 50 million years give or take a few.

Why do you believe that forming hydrocarbons requires millions of years when you know that they can be created in a lab within hours?

Why would you imagine it is somehow possible in wetlands and marshes if high temperatures and pressures are required?

Natural vs synthetic.

Water is drawn into the ground. That's how aquifers are replenished. An oil well might be nothing more than compost from a wetland or marsh migrating into the earth's mantle over a period of many years/eons.
21-12-2019 21:01
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:

Maybe in the tropical jungle.

Nope. Everywhere papermaking trees are farmed. No tree is used in papermaking anymore that isn't farmed.
Xadoman wrote:
7 years old tree is a christmas tree , I agree, but to cut it to feed the paper industry is silly.
I have never seen such thing in real life.

What are you on? I never made such a relation.
Xadoman wrote:
The wood is cut when the forest is matured and then you have to wait 70-80 years to cut it again.

Nope. Lumber is made from trees about 30 years old.
Xadoman wrote:

It is the cheapest way to heat the house.
I also happen to have 50 hectars of forest so I do not have to pay for wood at all.
Only physical labour is required which I take as a workout.

Okay. You live in a forest you own. Not everyone owns a forest or is fit enough to cut their own wood for their own fires.
Xadoman wrote:

The reason for that is that it is not possible to heat all homes with wood.
Never suggested that anybody should heat their homes with any particular fuel. Heat your home with what you like.
Xadoman wrote:
All forest would be gone in a couple of months.
Nothing burger. Not all people are trying to heat their homes with wood.
Xadoman wrote:

Coal is cheap and widely available. So far, there are no indications it is depleting at all.

YOU don't get to dictate energy markets. If people want coal, they will buy coal. YOU don't get to decide for them.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 21:05
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Natural vs synthetic.

Water is drawn into the ground. That's how aquifers are replenished. An oil well might be nothing more than compost from a wetland or marsh migrating into the earth's mantle over a period of many years/eons.

Synthesizing oil uses conditions similar to that found naturally underground. There is no reason the Earth doesn't naturally synthesize oil the same way.

Why would a wetland or marsh migrate 10,000 feet into the Earth? Water boils down there.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2019 22:35
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)

Nope. Everywhere papermaking trees are farmed. No tree is used in papermaking anymore that isn't farmed.

Not here where I live.

Never made a relation. I agreed that a seven year old tree is suitable for christmas tree and then I simply said that selling 7 year old wood to paper industry is silly. The do not even accept this material here.

Never suggested that anybody should heat their homes with any particular fuel. Heat your home with what you like.

Just pointed out that it is not possible to heat all the houses with wood.

Wanted to make absolutely clear why it is not possible to heat all the houses with wood. Some people here do not understand what depletion and unsustainable means.

Coal is cheap and widely available. So far, there are no indications it is depleting at all.

YOU don't get to dictate energy markets. If people want coal, they will buy coal. YOU don't get to decide for them.

I am absolutely happy about it. But the future is depletion of coal.
21-12-2019 22:51
(21559)
Xadoman wrote:

Not here where I live.

Yup. Where you live too.
Xadoman wrote:

Never made a relation. I agreed that a seven year old tree is suitable for christmas tree and then I simply said that selling 7 year old wood to paper industry is silly.

Not at all. You want a tree with long fibers. The fastest growing trees are best for that. Paper tree farms raise scrub alder or other fast growing tree. Some use bamboo. Hemp is still occasionally used. All of it is farmed.
Xadoman wrote:
The do not even accept this material here.

So you don't accept that you can heat your home with what you like?? WTF????
Xadoman wrote:
Just pointed out that it is not possible to heat all the houses with wood.

Wanted to make absolutely clear why it is not possible to heat all the houses with wood. Some people here do not understand what depletion and unsustainable means.

Nothing burger. Not all people are trying to heat their houses with wood.
Xadoman wrote:

I am absolutely happy about it. But the future is depletion of coal.

Lie. You are NOT happy about it. Put away your Magick Holy Entrails. You can't predict the future.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 21-12-2019 22:52
21-12-2019 23:41
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
Yup. Where you live too.

Nope, we do not have such tree farms. We live in different regions. It take 100 year for a spruce to mature. They can live up to 250-300 years but the best age to cut them down in 100 years. Alder takes 30 -50 years to mature to cut for firewood. We do not have bamboo here.

So you don't accept that you can heat your home with what you like?? WTF????

Wanted to point out there are minimum dimensions for wood to sell for paper wood. 7 years old wood does not qualify. They do not want junk, they have enough proper dimension wood. Junk goes into the chipper and is used to make pellets or used directly for heat.

Nothing burger. Not all people are trying to heat their houses with wood.

There is not enough wood to do that.

Lie. You are NOT happy about it. Put away your Magick Holy Entrails. You can't predict the future.

Of course I am happy. Without coal we would be in a very dark cold place right now. But coal is depleting fast each and every day.
Page 5 of 10<<<34567>>>

Join the debate Energy and resource crisis in the future:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
THE FUTURE OF HYDROGEN POWER3109-08-2023 19:29
The 'crisis' that will 'steal' the 2024 election.215-05-2023 05:02
Climate Change: The Science of Global Warming and Our Energy Future, just $133.79419-02-2023 14:09
Climate Crisis!804-12-2022 07:10
Make Natural Resource Currency Great Again130-07-2022 22:43
Articles
Appendix C - China's Environmental Crisis
Barack Obama: Securing Our Energy Future
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact