Remember me
▼ Content

Early IPCC Reports

Early IPCC Reports07-07-2019 05:51
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14366)
Can anyone dig up early IPCC reports, like say the Third reports from 2001?

I remember reading them back in the day, but I find that the IPCC keeps adjusting and modifying and changing their outlook ... and burying previous reports.

I'd really like to scrutinize the wording of their early "predictions." If anyone can find them, please post them here.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
07-07-2019 07:53
(14366)
I found an OCR of the 1992 IPCC Climate report.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/05/ipcc_wg_II_1992_suppl_report_full_report.pdf

Here are some exerpts I enjoyed:

The prevailing uncertainties in the prediction of likely future changes of climate, particularly on regional scales, therefore represent a major difficulty in pursuit of the task given to Working Group II.

Translation: "We aren't going to be correct. This is our disclaimer up front."

Any predicted effects of climate change must be viewed in the context of our present dynamic and changing world.

... as opposed to the context of some other kind of world?

The precise prediction of climate change at regional level is subject to great uncertainty. Prediction of precipitation changes is particularly uncertain

More disclaimer.

Work on improving regional predictions using the palaeo-analog method continues in Russia and other countries.

You'll love this one. Translation: "We use wildly unrelated proxy data to claim we have a method for predicting "vegetation dynamics" ... as our undefined "Climate" changes ... and to give it an aura of validity, we call it the Paleo-analog Method."

(Note: They never got around to elaborating on any of these "predictions" nor anything about these fascinating "vegetation dynamics.)

The question of the validity of the technique of palaeoanalog for the prediction of regional climate change needs further debate. Although palaeo-data concerning past cliiiiates are of great value, clear analogs from the past
which can be applied to future climate changes have not yet been identified. In the further work of the IPCC, all methods of regional climate prediction should be reviewed and assessed on a continuing basis.

"Paleoanalog" is their special term for proxy data. "Paleo" means from a long time ago and "Analog" says that it relates in some way. Anyway, this is how they attempt to legitimize making prophesies based on "signs" that only religious leaders can decipher ... but call them "predictions."

Uncertainties in the predictions of climate change, particularly those concerning timing, magnitude and regional patterns of climate change, are associated with
imperfect knowledge of:
* future rates of man-made emissions;
* how these will change the atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases (GHG); and
* the response of climate to these changed concentrations.

There are no predictions offered nor any methods for "predicting" anything based on the above.

The only prediction horizon of proven reliability is that provided by weather forecast models extending for days or, at most, weeks into the future.

What are they admitting right here?

One of the major goals of climate impact assessment, especially concerning aspects of future climatic change, is the prediction of future impacts. A growing number of model projections has become available on how global climate may change in the future as a result of increases in greenhouse gas (GHG) concentrations (eg see IPCC 1990a)

Notice the avoidance of the word "will" in deference to writing "may."

The testing of predictive models is, arguably, the most critical stage of an impact assessment. Most studies rely almost exclusively on the use of models to estimate future impacts. Thus, it is crucial for the credibility of the research that model performance is tested rigorously.

This was written in 1992. Read the above paragraph and guess what has not happened since then?

Validation involves the comparison of model predictions with real world observations to test model performance. The validation procedures adopted
depend to some extent on the type of model being tested.

A critical consideration for conducting impact experiments is the time horizon over which estimates are to be made. Three elements influence the time horizon selected: the limits of predictability, the compatibility of projections and whether the assessment is continuous or considers discrete points in time.

What? If there were actual science involved they wouldn't need this section; they could just follow the scientific method.

No method yet exists of providing confident predictions of future climate. Instead, it is customary to specify a number of plausible future climates

Instead of pursuing science, just "fabricate" the possible range of options.

Predicted global warming may increase the ozone concentration in this and other metropolitan areas and increase the extent of this pollution as well (Ando 1991).

Improved prediction of potential future hydrological regimes (including estimates of changes in soil moisture and groundwater availability) continues to be a critical need for agricultural impact studies. Recent work on climate change scenarios suggests that the frequency of heavy rainfall events at almost all latitudes may increase with global warming, while the numbers of raindays in
mid latitudes may decrease

They wrote "may" and not "will" ... and they call it "prediction."

In contrast, predictions based on palaeoclimate analogs show a significant rise in productivity in Russia for a doubling of atmospheric COj (Sirotenko et al. 1990), especially when direct COj effects are taken into account (Menzhulin 1992).

Translation: "Proxy data show that Russia, which is mostly buried in snow and ice, will benefit from Global Warming. "

Peat dynamics is a key element in the prediction of future climate change.

Who knew?

However, specific regional changes in precipitation and runoff are as yet impossible to predict with any degree of confidence

The task of predicting regional hydrologic and water management consequences of climate change is a formidable one. At present, we can offer Only a semblance of consensus on insights about how certain managed and
uncontrolled watersheds could respond under a variety of climate change scenarios.

Rogers essentially concluded that even if the GC M models were scientifically well grounded and their prediction considered perfect, the information provided is largely peripheral to practical engineering decisions.

One of the most important aspects of climate change is the impact of the predicted (IPCC 1990b) sea-level rise on coastal and marine ecosystems. The ecological situation will change, the life cycle of many organisms will be
disturbed, and a decrease in the habitat of sea animals and/or their redistribution will occur.

Relative sea-level rise is the net effect of tectonic uplift or subsidence, eustatic change due to continental ice melt, winds and ocean currents, plus expansion or contraction of the water column. During the Holocene (last 10 000 years) in Jamaica, for example (Hendry 1992), maximum sealevel rise is- 0.27 cm/year, or less than half the 0.6 cm/year implied by the IPCC. (1990b); in the last 3000 years sea-level rise has been almost nil. Al l other things being equal, 0.6 cm/year (35 cm between 1990 and 2050) is expected to place an unusual stress on coastal ecosystems.

Climate change involves much more than sealevel rise and temperature increase; precipitation, evaporation, humidity, wind velocity, hurricanes, cloudiness, solar irradiance, ocean currents, waves, mixing, riverine input
etc, are all important variables. If precipitation changes (for example) are markedly underesfimated, the impact on agriculture and coastal ecosystems could be far more important than sea-level and/or temperature rise.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
07-07-2019 16:30
boreallfor
☆☆☆☆☆
(19)
IBdaMann wrote:
Can anyone dig up early IPCC reports, like say the Third reports from 2001?

I remember reading them back in the day, but I find that the IPCC keeps adjusting and modifying and changing their outlook ... and burying previous reports.

I'd really like to scrutinize the wording of their early "predictions." If anyone can find them, please post them here.

2001? Wow, so you've worked for the oil industry a long time
Edited on 07-07-2019 16:31
07-07-2019 17:09
(14366)
boreallfor wrote:2001? Wow, so you've worked for the oil industry a long time

Why the extreme envy of those who work for petroleum and other science-based industries? Why the lashing-out trolling in response to requests for IPCC documents?

One can only conclude that you are extremely embarrassed at the scientifically illiterate basis of your WACKY religious Climate dogma.

07-07-2019 17:46
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
IBdaMann wrote:

Why the extreme envy of those who work for petroleum and other science-based industries? Why the lashing-out trolling in response to requests for IPCC documents?

One can only conclude that you are extremely embarrassed at the scientifically illiterate basis of your WACKY religious Climate dogma.

Apparently there's no all time records highs being broken today so the orgasm is over for boreallfor. By the way Mr. Boreallfor, the highest temperature ever recorded here in the United States was in 1936. When do we start to warm?

IBdaMann, those quotes are some real gems! What jumps out at me is the honesty about uncertainty. So that begs the question...what technology? What new revelation? What new techniques? What IS it that allows for so much certainty today versus back then?

What changed besides the amount of money and power involved?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 07-07-2019 17:47
08-07-2019 01:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Apparently there's no all time records highs being broken today so the orgasm is over for boreallfor. By the way Mr. Boreallfor, the highest temperature ever recorded here in the United States was in 1936. When do we start to warm?

IBdaMann, those quotes are some real gems! What jumps out at me is the honesty about uncertainty. So that begs the question...what technology? What new revelation? What new techniques? What IS it that allows for so much certainty today versus back then?

Anchorage broke it's all time high by 5°. Guess you don't read the paper. One reason why climate change is accepted is because of glacial melt. I like to think that ice melts as it warms and water freezes as it cools.
08-07-2019 02:04
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

If you pick up a recent copy of the IPCC assessment report, you'll find pretty much the same uncertainty. I read through pats of one last year (repetitious), just new, and colorful graphs, hopeful breakthroughs, more hype and urgency, but mostly, a lot of uncertainty, nothing really concrete. Almost every sentence has a 'can', 'may', 'might', or 'could'. They don't seem to have a lot of confidence in their own work. I get the impression that this is intentional, they can make any claim they want, and can back away at anytime. Basically, if anyone challenges any part, they have a way out. No one is going to challenge every claim, and they can continue to add new ones.
08-07-2019 03:46
(14366)
James___ wrote: Anchorage broke it's all time high by 5°. Guess you don't read the paper.

Great, then we have to accept Global Cooling on an immense scale based on the anecdotes from Alaska.

Remember, this is more than a century and a half after the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, with constantly increasing Greenhouse Gas emissions.

From the Anchorage Daily Express
December 02, 2017 of the 1989 record cold

From Homer to Barrow, the temperatures fell each day. Fairbanks experienced six consecutive days where the high temperature was no warmer minus-40. On Jan. 25, much of the state received a light break when a storm system in the Gulf of Alaska stirred the air over the state somewhat. In Fairbanks it warmed to 33 below.

But we hadn't seen anything yet. A dome of extremely cold air moved from Alaska's north slope to the western interior on January 26th. As Thoman, then stationed in Nome, reported, records toppled at every weather station west of a line from Manley Hot Springs to Lake Minchumina. That same day, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner announced that an Alaska milestone was in jeopardy: "The Weather Service predicts Alaska's state record low of 80 below, recorded January 23, 1971 at Prospect Creek on the Dalton Highway, is likely to fall this week, possibly even today."

James___ wrote: One reason why climate change is accepted is because of glacial melt. I like to think that ice melts as it warms and water freezes as it cools.

When you write "climate change is accepted" I notice that you use the passive voice to avoid denoting that it is only accepted by scientifically illiterate morons. Oh yeah, I notice that you accept it. Enough said.

08-07-2019 05:46
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Anchorage broke it's all time high by 5°. Guess you don't read the paper. One reason why climate change is accepted is because of glacial melt. I like to think that ice melts as it warms and water freezes as it cools.

I guess I wasn't clear enough for you. I was referring to boreallfor's orgasm over the hottest temp ever recorded in France. I was comparing the all time highest recorded temp in the US...1936. By the way, the hottest temp ever recorded in Alaska was in 1915....100 degrees in Fort Yukon.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
08-07-2019 07:48
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
What I see in all these over-hype record highs, is that they happen about as frequently as they always have. There is no global warming, no climate change, other wise, we would be seeing records broken everyday, all over the world. It should be happening so often, it's not even worth wasting air-time reporting anymore. It's really kind of sad, how the climatologist jump on the smallest, insignificant things, having to really push the hype, in an effort to gain some small bit of credibility. Well established science, grasping at straws... With less than 11 years left, before we reach the point of no return, and not a whole lot being done, as the demand, guess they'll need to fabricate a miracle, to buy some more time, before it's to late.

Join the debate Early IPCC Reports:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Washington Post reports that a majority of covid deaths are happening to vaccinated people5304-12-2022 06:24
IPCC AR 61522-08-2021 19:26
uniting nations - IPCC TABLES1314-03-2020 07:20
Made a graph of low equilibrium climate sensitivity estimates to show that the IPCC's best estimate o203-03-2020 02:17
Burning Trees (carbon neutral) and the IPCC314-01-2020 21:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact