Remember me
▼ Content

Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher

Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher22-02-2015 13:19
orogenicman
★☆☆☆☆
(57)
Looks like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. tsk tsk.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...Soon.html?_r=0

But newly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon's work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests.

He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.

More at the link.

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens
23-02-2015 12:59
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
Thanks for this article. I was just looking at this same thread at USMB. The immediate, vicious, puerile and completely fact-free response of your opponents was unsurprising.
24-02-2015 01:04
orogenicman
★☆☆☆☆
(57)
Didn't surprise me a bit. I went to the "original science forum" yesterday, where they were discussing this announcement. There were people on both sides of the argument who expressed surprise that he had done this. It was actually a very civil discussion. But we have to remember that he worked part time with the Smithsonian, and had to fund his own work. That he opted for corporate funding instead of applying for a grant indicates that his pay check was more important to him that the research he was conducting, which I suppose is understandable. In which case, he should not have committed an ethics violation by intentionally withholding his source of funding.
24-02-2015 01:53
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
Yup.
24-02-2015 05:10
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
I was able to read this article at first at the new york times too...it comes as a good evidence that this so called deniers are indeed receiving something from big corporations. Scientific bias at its finest.

Join the debate Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
FBI agent who led the Trump Russia probe arrested for ties to Russian oligarch, and money laundering224-01-2023 03:39
CO2 is O2C is order to cash so CO2 is profitable?123-04-2019 11:24
Fed researcher warns climate change could spur financial crisis027-03-2019 15:50
I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations1330-03-2017 20:38
Corporate Spies120-12-2012 18:34
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact