Remember me
▼ Content

covid19 prevalence

covid19 prevalence24-11-2020 20:41
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Does any one think that almost everyone has already contracted covid19 and that the diagnostic tests aren't that reliable (sensitive or specific)?
This would mean that there is a great variety in the expression of the disease and that covid19 is sort of like a fertilizer of symptoms. Harvey could be right.
24-11-2020 23:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
keepit wrote:
Does any one think that almost everyone has already contracted covid19 and that the diagnostic tests aren't that reliable (sensitive or specific)?
This would mean that there is a great variety in the expression of the disease and that covid19 is sort of like a fertilizer of symptoms. Harvey could be right.

The University of Kentucky just closed 5 operating rooms so they'll have more room to treat Vivid 19 patients. While I had surgery at the V.A., it was doctors from the University of Kentucky hospital that treated me.
It seems in a way I was fortunate to have surgery that I had been needing for many months.
25-11-2020 00:24
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
James,
I'm glad you got what you needed.
25-11-2020 00:51
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
keepit wrote:

No test is perfect, and the rushing these through. Magnifies the probability of error. I think it's just a cold virus, new to humans. The fatalities are almost exclusive to people already in bad shape. I suspect the totals are misrepresented. The patient died, but the role of testing positive for covid, may not have been significant. Like a head-on traffic accident in Florida (July).

I do believe a lot more people have had it, and never got tested, or reported it. I've talked to to people at work, who tested positive. Both said mild cold, one smoked like chimney. Plenty of others online, and on the news, describe it similarly.

The virus doesn't scare me, never been bed ridden from a cold or flu. Symptoms never so bad, to consider OTC relief. Doubtful I'll ever be presented with having to be vaccinated. I won't do it by choice. The threat, does rise to taking a risk of having something injected into my body. I don't do drugs, that aren't absolutely necessary, or likely to speed recovery. The covid vaccines will still be in the experimental phase, when distributed. The population, is the final test. Trial volunteers are screened, a chosen, so there are minimal fatalities, or serious complications. Many of the people at the top of the priority list, are people who would have been rejected, as trial volunteers. I do wish all the lab-rats well, because I would like to see the masks, and restriction go away soon. Still think that's not going to happen for at least another year, likely closer to two.
25-11-2020 02:08
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Hunches aren't evidence and you don't have a track record of accurate hunches.
25-11-2020 10:29
(5197)
keepit wrote:

But, you do trust the predictions of weather and climate computer models without question... Computer models for covid, predicted 2-3 million deaths this year. Of course, masks made a huge difference... Then again, we still have another 6 weeks in the year, maybe those computer models are correct, and we will be stacking smelly, rotting corpses at the curb, about 10 bodies high by then.
25-11-2020 14:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

But, you do trust the predictions of weather and climate computer models without question... Computer models for covid, predicted 2-3 million deaths this year. Of course, masks made a huge difference... Then again, we still have another 6 weeks in the year, maybe those computer models are correct, and we will be stacking smelly, rotting corpses at the curb, about 10 bodies high by then.

Where I live, the weather forecasts are quite accurate. With computer models, it's possible that their data isn't complete. At the same time, when it comes to the pandemic, you play the tough guy role.
Common sense suggests that wearing a mask and when going out, keep a little space between yourself and others helps to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Things like that would help restaurants and bars to stay open but their patrons through contact tracing have shown to increase the number of cases of Covid-19.
Yep, the people who didn't hide in their basement as you put it were busy spreading Covid-19.
25-11-2020 18:17
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

Where I live, the weather forecasts are quite accurate. With computer models, it's possible that their data isn't complete. At the same time, when it comes to the pandemic, you play the tough guy role.
Common sense suggests that wearing a mask and when going out, keep a little space between yourself and others helps to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Things like that would help restaurants and bars to stay open but their patrons through contact tracing have shown to increase the number of cases of Covid-19.
Yep, the people who didn't hide in their basement as you put it were busy spreading Covid-19.

To us surface-dwellers, it's just a cold. Sucks for maybe a week, and we get over it. There really isn't a huge percentage of the population, in such poor health, the can't handle riding out a simple cold virus. It's just natures way of culling the herd, of inferior stock, that tend to live more like parasites on society.
25-11-2020 21:31
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
I'm starting to think covid is highly contagious and that it affects every cell of one's body. Which ever cells are the weakest, those are the ones covid affects the most, whether it is lungs, kidneys cardiovascular or whatever. Some of the cells covid affect aren't detectable.
25-11-2020 22:40
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
James___ wrote:
keepit wrote:

The University of Kentucky just closed 5 operating rooms so they'll have more room to treat Vivid 19 patients. While I had surgery at the V.A., it was doctors from the University of Kentucky hospital that treated me.
It seems in a way I was fortunate to have surgery that I had been needing for many months.

Covid19 does not require surgery to be treated.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
25-11-2020 22:42
(21597)
keepit wrote:

Actually, he does.

Masks do not stop a virus.
6 feet does not stop a virus.
Shutting down a business does not stop a virus and is unconstitutional.

Indeed, it's ALL unconstitutional.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
25-11-2020 22:45
(21597)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

You don't need a computer model to forecast the weather. It's like watching waves come in off the ocean and breaking on the shore.

A front already exist and it's speed and direction are tracked before anyone forecasts when it will cross their area. That's not a computer model. That's just watching a wave.

The Parrot Killer

25-11-2020 22:46
(21597)
keepit wrote:
I'm starting to think covid is highly contagious and that it affects every cell of one's body. Which ever cells are the weakest, those are the ones covid affects the most, whether it is lungs, kidneys cardiovascular or whatever. Some of the cells covid affect aren't detectable.

Fear mongering. No virus affects every cell.

The Parrot Killer

25-11-2020 22:49
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ITN,
What makes you think "no virus affects every cell"? I did say it was just a thought but what is your evidence? Did you measure the virus load in every cell?
Edited on 25-11-2020 22:50
26-11-2020 04:06
(5197)
keepit wrote:

Guessing you didn't do so well in biology class... There would be no way to measure, without cutting into people, and taking tissue samples. Fighting off an infections, isn't the ideal time to go exploring with a knife...

People use what you can't see, and most people don't really understand very well, to scare and panic others. Mostly for fun, and profit. There has been a lot of fear mongering with covid, which would be entertaining, if it wasn't screwing everything up. Mostly, a respiratory infection is spread through cough, sneezing, and globs of mucus deposited on surfaces. It's very rare, and only technically possible to spread the viruses any other way. Everybody has to wear masks, because under ideal laboratory conditions, a virus can spread, just be speaking? This is really stretching the truth. All these guidelines, might have had some effect, in a small, containable outbreak, but don't apply to a pandemic. There is no safe zones (except your basement), no chance to completely isolate or control, the infected area.
26-11-2020 04:48
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Harvey,
In science it is the practice to advance hypotheses on a regular basis. Some are disproved, some aren't. That's how science advances. It isn't the way of this board but maybe some will learn.
According to my hypothesis, most transmission is airborne and subsequently inhaled.. After being inhaled, the virus enters the blood stream and then goes where ever blood goes, which is almost everywhere. That would be how every cell is affected. You should listen more and talk less.
26-11-2020 05:28
(21597)
keepit wrote:
ITN,
What makes you think "no virus affects every cell"? I did say it was just a thought but what is your evidence? Did you measure the virus load in every cell?

No need. No virus has ever been found that infects every type of cell. Viruses are specialized, attacking specific types of cells. Covid19 attacks lungs and cells lining the throat and respiratory tract. It's about like any rhinovirus series, influenza series virus or SARS/Covid series virus before it that way.

Because any of these viruses can attack lung tissue, any one of them can cause pneumonia, a potentially lethal bacteriological infection of the lungs.

Other viruses attack different types of cells. AIDS, for example, attacks white blood cells, the body's first line of defense. This leaves it open to any opportunist bacterium or virus that comes along.

Treatments against viruses depend on the body's immune system. Because the white blood cell count is severely reduced, and because of the many opportunistic infections, AIDS can be a particularly difficult virus to deal with.

The Covid/SARS series viruses are respiratory viruses. That's the system they attack. They are airborne. They are everywhere and on every surface. Masks won't stop it. 6 feet won't stop it. Plastic barriers merchants put up in their stores won't stop it. Shutting down businesses won't stop it. Banning travel won't stop it.

Masks can and do harbor bacteria.
All businesses are essential businesses. They support their owners and their employees. They are dying off because they can't operate due to unconstitutional restrictions and also by damage from rioters (also funded and supported by the Democrats).

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 26-11-2020 05:28
26-11-2020 05:29
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

Guessing you didn't do so well in biology class... There would be no way to measure, without cutting into people, and taking tissue samples. Fighting off an infections, isn't the ideal time to go exploring with a knife...

People use what you can't see, and most people don't really understand very well, to scare and panic others. Mostly for fun, and profit. There has been a lot of fear mongering with covid, which would be entertaining, if it wasn't screwing everything up. Mostly, a respiratory infection is spread through cough, sneezing, and globs of mucus deposited on surfaces. It's very rare, and only technically possible to spread the viruses any other way. Everybody has to wear masks, because under ideal laboratory conditions, a virus can spread, just be speaking? This is really stretching the truth. All these guidelines, might have had some effect, in a small, containable outbreak, but don't apply to a pandemic. There is no safe zones (except your basement), no chance to completely isolate or control, the infected area.

No need to explore with a knife. This kind of thing can be studied with cultures of human tissue.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 05:32
(21597)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,
In science it is the practice to advance hypotheses on a regular basis. Some are disproved, some aren't. That's how science advances. It isn't the way of this board but maybe some will learn.
According to my hypothesis, most transmission is airborne and subsequently inhaled.. After being inhaled, the virus enters the blood stream and then goes where ever blood goes, which is almost everywhere. That would be how every cell is affected. You should listen more and talk less.

The virus does not need to enter the bloodstream at all. The tissues it infects are directly exposed to outside air. This virus does not infect any blood cell or any other organ.

If you happen to swallow it (common), the stomach will simply digest it like anything else, killing it.

What tests are looking for is the formation of antigens. They do travel by bloodstream and by the lymphatic system.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 05:37
(21597)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,

No, a hypothesis is part of an existing theory. All hypothesis stem from a theory, not the other way around. An example is the null hypothesis of a theory. A hypothesis takes the form of a question. A theory is an explanatory argument.

What you are describing is a theory. It is falsified. We know the infection vectors of this virus and what kind of cells it attacks. It attacks no other type of cell. It cannot reproduce there.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 06:30
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Very little of what you said is true ITN.
26-11-2020 17:17
(5197)
keepit wrote:

How come there are viruses that are specific to different animals, but don't infect humans? Why do viruses that infect humans, not infect our pets? If any cell can be a host to a virus why is cross-over between species so rare?

The membrane surrounding all cells, keep the stuff that belongs in there in, and only lets certain things in and out. A virus, has that magic key, that lets it in to specific type of cell.

If viruses traveled through the blood stream, would pretty much anybody, with a cut, scratch, or scrape, be instantly infected by hundreds of different viruses and bacteria?
26-11-2020 17:52
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

How come there are viruses that are specific to different animals, but don't infect humans? Why do viruses that infect humans, not infect our pets? If any cell can be a host to a virus why is cross-over between species so rare?

The membrane surrounding all cells, keep the stuff that belongs in there in, and only lets certain things in and out. A virus, has that magic key, that lets it in to specific type of cell.

If viruses traveled through the blood stream, would pretty much anybody, with a cut, scratch, or scrape, be instantly infected by hundreds of different viruses and bacteria?

Kind of why people should wear PPE if they are treating an open wound on an animal. In case that person has any open wounds which would include a scratch. Sometimes an animal's saliva can transfer disease into a person if their bite breaks the skin. Then whatever is in their saliva is in a person's body similar to being given a shot.
Edited on 26-11-2020 18:27
26-11-2020 19:00
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Harvey,
Obviously you aren't a cell biologist and neither am i yet you sound like you think you know what you're talking about, yet you don't.
Me, I don't know much but i did take a graduate course in virology 40 years ago. The science i learned there is old and my memory is old but i remember a few things. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.
Anyway, between different cells there are differences and there are similarities. That applies to different species and different organs. Some differences are important and some are not. Regarding a virus, it may be that the virus doesn't care what type of organ it is going to infect. Maybe the virus gets to the lungs first and by the time it gets a chance to get to the heart the immune system has slowed it down. If you think covid doesn't attack cardiovascular, kidney, brain, and other cells you are dead wrong.
Now, for example, dog cells have enough differences from human cells that they are incompatible with covid. There may be exceptions. When you don't know what the differences are, why draw a line in the sand regarding brain cells vs lungs cells regarding covid. There's a lot to learn about covid.
Regarding theory vs hypothesis. In the us educational system the word theory is reserved for macro concepts like the theory of relativity, tectonic plate theory, and the theory of evolution. Then there is the word hypothesis - that is reserved for micro theories that have yet to be examined such as my hypothesis about covid having the ability to attack almost any human cell. It kind of boils down to dna and mitochondrial dna regarding the ability or inability of that machinery to respond to the rna of covid and make amino acids that are usable by the host cells.
One thing i learned in college is that there are no stupid questions. Ask what ever you want was the rule in us colleges. I think it still is.
Edited on 26-11-2020 19:03
26-11-2020 19:43
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I do not belive in masks. There are indeed some special gas masks that block particles smaller than coronavirus but the seal between the face and mask will never be hermetic. Also you are not going to wear the mask on all the time. You need to eat and drink. The mask also needs changing and it is not possible to change the mask without exposure to dangerous viruses.
26-11-2020 20:12
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
The masks are far from perfect but they and distancing do make a difference.
26-11-2020 21:40
(21597)
keepit wrote:

Argument of the stone fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 21:41
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

Bingo. He's completely ignoring the immune system of the body, and of the immune system built into each and every cell.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 21:45
(21597)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:

Kind of why people should wear PPE if they are treating an open wound on an animal.

Many hunters routinely skin an animal without any PPE. They are still alive and hunting today. They just wash their hands after handling such a mess.
James___ wrote:
In case that person has any open wounds which would include a scratch.

Everyone has scratches. We don't die from them, despite viruses and bacteria in the air all around us all the time.
James___ wrote:
Sometimes an animal's saliva can transfer disease into a person if their bite breaks the skin.

Depends on whether the animal is diseased, and what kind of disease.
James___ wrote:
Then whatever is in their saliva is in a person's body similar to being given a shot.

You are again failing to account for the body's own immune system.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 21:47
(21597)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,
Obviously you aren't a cell biologist and neither am i yet you sound like you think you know what you're talking about, yet you don't.
Me, I don't know much but i did take a graduate course in virology 40 years ago. The science i learned there is old and my memory is old but i remember a few things. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Expert worship. I don't believe you have ever taken any biology or virology classes and passed.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 21:52
(21597)
Xadoman wrote:
I do not belive in masks. There are indeed some special gas masks that block particles smaller than coronavirus but the seal between the face and mask will never be hermetic.

They can be hermetic. Such masks are uncomfortable. They require air tanks or an air pump so you can breath. I've used them in toxic chemical environments such as when working in a cloud of chlorine gas. They work, but they are a major pain.

They are also not relevant here. The discussion is about N95 masks and cloth masks.
Xadoman wrote:
Also you are not going to wear the mask on all the time.

True.
Xadoman wrote:
You need to eat and drink.

True.
Xadoman wrote:
The mask also needs changing and it is not possible to change the mask without exposure to dangerous viruses.

The mask needs removal, not changing.

N95 masks do not stop a virus. Cloth masks are even worse.

The Parrot Killer

26-11-2020 21:53
(21597)
keepit wrote:
The masks are far from perfect but they and distancing do make a difference.

The masks do absolutely nothing. They are completely useless against viruses.
6 feet does not stop a virus.
Shutting down businesses does not stop a virus and is unconstitutional.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 26-11-2020 21:53
26-11-2020 23:45
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ITN,
When you say you don't believe i've ever taken a class in virology or biology, that statement says more about you than it says about me.
BTW, in what country did you take your virology, cell biology, human biology, etc. classes?
And what are your qualifications regarding human biology subject matter?
And what are your qualifications regarding climatology and atmospheric physics?

I've noticed you've NEVER or almost never cited any evidence for your wild claims.
Edited on 26-11-2020 23:49
27-11-2020 01:24
(21597)
keepit wrote:
ITN,
When you say you don't believe i've ever taken a class in virology or biology, that statement says more about you than it says about me.

BTW, in what country did you take your virology, cell biology, human biology, etc. classes?
I've noticed you've NEVER or almost never cited any evidence for your wild claims.

False authority fallacies. Expert worship. Science is not a degree or a license. It needs no reference other than the theories themselves.

The Parrot Killer

27-11-2020 03:20
(5197)
keepit wrote:
ITN,

I got my book learning in Oregon... Took Anatomy and Physiology, just the 120 series of class. Cutting up a cat, was enough for me. The next class, would have be a human cadaver. Just not that rich, or curious. My science requirement was satisfied anyway.

I do believe you are a 'little' confused on a few things, but, panic a fear can do that to you.

Join the debate covid19 prevalence:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Cell phones are now blamed for covid19?1913-11-2021 22:41
Covid1922818-11-2020 01:50
Covid19's future1310-07-2020 02:08
Climate Change And Covid198301-05-2020 03:33
Covid19 "modeling"3004-04-2020 00:07
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact