Remember me
▼ Content

Confirmed: Convection is a Factor in Thermal Energy Flow

Confirmed: Convection is a Factor in Thermal Energy Flow26-06-2020 01:00
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
In the past, Into the Night has made the bold assertion that convection is a factor in the flow of thermal energy through the atmosphere.

I decided to research the matter.

This demonstration of pouring hot water into liquid nitrogen confirms that convection can get up and talk to you ... and it can bring out the stupid in some people.

Demonstration: Very Hot Water Poured Into Liquid Nitrogen

I sure hope the Master List has a Denial of Convection fallacy.

p.s. The manner in which that cloud rose indicates that none of the very hot water reduced the temperature of any of the liquid nitrogen as tgoebbles would have me believe.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-06-2020 01:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
In the past, Into the Night has made the bold assertion that convection is a factor in the flow of thermal energy through the atmosphere.

This demonstration of pouring hot water into liquid nitrogen confirms that convection can get up and talk to you ... and it can bring out the stupid in some people.

p.s. The manner in which that cloud rose indicates that none of the very hot water reduced the temperature of any of the liquid nitrogen as tgoebbles would have me believe.

This then supports the rationalization that as O2 decreases and Co2 increases that less heat is moved from the troposphere up into the stratosphere. As a result, the stratosphere would cool. That is based on ITN's theory that convection moves thermal energy in our atmosphere.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/mystery-stratospheric-temperature-trends

Myself, I would consider stratospheric ozone which requires O2 type oxygen but it's not politically correct or incorrect.
26-06-2020 02:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:

Nice demonstration of convection, IBD!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 26-06-2020 02:17
26-06-2020 02:15
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

This then supports the rationalization that as O2 decreases and Co2 increases that less heat is moved from the troposphere up into the stratosphere. As a result, the stratosphere would cool. That is based on ITN's theory that convection moves thermal energy in our atmosphere.

Myself, I would consider stratospheric ozone which requires O2 type oxygen but it's not politically correct or incorrect.

Neither O2 nor CO2 is thermal energy.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 26-06-2020 02:16
26-06-2020 10:44
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Neither O2 nor CO2 is thermal energy.

It's like all of the hot air that you're spewing. Electromagnetic radiation emissions are thermal energy. There are thermal lifts along mountains that gliders and birds use to gain altitude.
This is an example of how convection of thermal energy works. See? I'm actually agreeing with you and now you're saying that convection doesn't transport thermal radiation from the lower troposphere up into the upper atmosphere.
And when that happens, cooler air from the upper atmosphere circulates into the lower troposphere. Then we have a warmer stratosphere and a cooler troposphere.
Of course this is why Vikings went to Valhalla from a pyre on the water. The Valkyrie had wings like an angel.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LZ1dpCWoNz9p1m488
Attached image:

Edited on 26-06-2020 10:50
26-06-2020 11:05
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This is an example of how birds like the Valkyrie use convection of electromagnetic radiation to conserve their own energy.

https://youtu.be/8MuBYn928cc
26-06-2020 19:23
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
IBdaMann wrote:

Wow!

This is why I love the internet. I always had to try stupid stuff, but now my kids can just watch stupid on YouTube!

Hey, maybe pnibbles can calculate the net flow for us?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
28-06-2020 04:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Wow!

This is why I love the internet. I always had to try stupid stuff, but now my kids can just watch stupid on YouTube!

Hey, maybe pnibbles can calculate the net flow for us?

I had to watch the video because you like it GG. Am curious, ever put dry ice in someone's beer in a bar? The beer will foam out. The guy who made the video wrote the header wrong. It was liquid hydrogen being poured onto dry ice.
If not knowing about the beer/dry ice interaction, I might not have noticed the faux pas. If you ever work in a repair facility you might find out that they use dry ice to shrink shafts so they can place a bearing on the journal.
Then when the shafts/journal warms to room temperature, the race on the bearings aren't going anywhere. And to remove the bearings, you take out a blow torch and warm them up until they become loose. Then you take a hammer.
Just not sure on this but I'd think cooling the shaft before heating the bearing would improve results. Of course it might be that whole water and hot metal exploding thing. Just don't know for sure.
p.s., the fog is liquid nitrogen being warmed by the dry ice. Liquid nitrogen is
-321º F. while dry is is -110º F.
And you guys didn't think that science could be interesting.
Edited on 28-06-2020 04:19

Join the debate Confirmed: Convection is a Factor in Thermal Energy Flow:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Superconducting qubits cover new distances, Bell's theorem is confirmed813-05-2023 04:58
Confirmed: Global floods, droughts worsening with warming9923-03-2023 01:50
NET THERMAL RADIATION : You in a room as a reference.62230-01-2023 04:40
Climate Change blends with Toroidal Energy Flow314-03-2020 04:53
thermal radiation and EM radiation901-03-2020 23:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact