Remember me
▼ Content

Climate Change Question

Climate Change Question26-06-2019 13:53
ManOnAMission
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Hypothetically, if all carbon emissions were eradicated tomorrow and the world stopped warming, would any damage done to the earth sort itself out? Would glaciers that have melted reform?

Something that made me curious recently.

Thanks!
26-06-2019 15:32
boreallfor
☆☆☆☆☆
(19)
No because the cascading effects are already being seen. The ice extent on greenland, arctic basin, and antarctica are all at record lows. I think the term salvage is more appropriate. But what we are seeing is the opposite-a huge denial campaign by the right, and very little being done.
Edited on 26-06-2019 15:32
26-06-2019 15:48
ManOnAMission
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Thanks for your reply.

Salvage, ok, sounds a bit bleak but I agree, very little seems as if it's being done. David Attenborough says we have till 2030 before we hit the first tipping point. If that doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will.

It should be the number one priority for all governments right now. To tackle carbon emissions and plastic usage.
Edited on 26-06-2019 15:49
26-06-2019 15:49
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14378)
ManOnAMission wrote:Hypothetically, if all carbon emissions were eradicated tomorrow

This would imply all breathing life forms are no longer breathing, i.e. dead.

No, they can't come back to life.

ManOnAMission wrote: ... and the world stopped warming,

The world isn't warming.

ManOnAMission wrote: would any damage done to the earth sort itself out?

There hasn't been any damage to the earth. No lack of damage needs to "sort itself out."

ManOnAMission wrote: Would glaciers that have melted reform?

No, they would not. But the ones that are growing will continue to grow. All in all, the net global ice balance will remain the same as long as the earth remains in the same orbit and the amount of terrestrial water remains the same.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-06-2019 15:59
(14378)
boreallfor wrote: No because the cascading effects are already being seen.

Only by people who are imagining things, or who are hallucinating, or who are under deep hypnosis, or who are clinically insane.

boreallfor wrote: The ice extent on greenland, arctic basin, and antarctica are all at record lows.

The ice mass of Antarctica and of the Greenland Ice Sheet continues to steadily increase, accumulating ice on the surface at a rate of meters per year.

It takes a special type of gullible to allow oneself to be conned into believing that either Greenland ice or Antarctica ice is somehow vanishing.

boreallfor wrote: I think the term salvage is more appropriate.

Nothing need be done. The earth is fine. Just stop imagining things, ... or stop taking the hallucinogenics, ... or snap out of your hypnosis, ... or check yourself into an apprpriate clinic.

boreallfor wrote: But what we are seeing is the opposite-a huge denial campaign by the right, and very little being done.

One cannot "deny" that which is merely being imagined (or hallucinated).

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-06-2019 16:05
(14378)
ManOnAMission wrote:Salvage, ok, sounds a bit bleak but I agree, very little seems as if it's being done.

Someone got up on the gullible side of the bed this morning.

ManOnAMission wrote: David Attenborough says we have till 2030 before we hit the first tipping point.

Why do you care about the ravings of an old television producer? Shouldn't that point you in the opposite direction?

ManOnAMission wrote:If that doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will.

It will only "wake up" the extremely gullible morons of the world.

ManOnAMission wrote: It should be the number one priority for all governments right now. To tackle carbon emissions and plastic usage.

Why?

26-06-2019 18:34
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
ManOnAMission wrote:
Hypothetically, if all carbon emissions were eradicated tomorrow and the world stopped warming, would any damage done to the earth sort itself out? Would glaciers that have melted reform?

Something that made me curious recently.

Thanks!

What's to 'sort out'? Why do you consider a glacier that has receded 'damage'?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-06-2019 18:39
(21559)
boreallfor wrote:
No because the cascading effects are already being seen. The ice extent on greenland, arctic basin, and antarctica are all at record lows.

Lie. The 2019 winter ice extent on both poles last winter were greater than the 2018 ice extent. In 2014, the Antarctic had the largest ice extent ever measured. In 2012 the Arctic had a record minimum ice extent. It has been growing since. No one is measuring Greenland's ice. Ice extents do not show the amount of ice.
boreallfor wrote:
I think the term salvage is more appropriate.

I use the term 'out of date' when people like you describe ice extents.
boreallfor wrote:
But what we are seeing is the opposite-a huge denial campaign by the right, and very little being done.

Try English. It works better.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-06-2019 18:44
(21559)
ManOnAMission wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Salvage, ok, sounds a bit bleak but I agree, very little seems as if it's being done. David Attenborough says we have till 2030 before we hit the first tipping point.

Why would a film maker's opinion mean anything?
There is no such thing as a 'tipping point'. Unstable systems would have already triggered long ago.
ManOnAMission wrote:
If that doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will.

Don't Panic. 'Climate change' doesn't have a meaning.
ManOnAMission wrote:
It should be the number one priority for all governments right now. To tackle carbon emissions and plastic usage.

Carbon is an element of nature. It is not being emitted. It is a fuel.
Plastics are useful. What do you have against plastic? You DO realize that the computer you are typing this on couldn't function without it, don't you?

The Parrot Killer

26-06-2019 22:16
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
ManOnAMission wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Salvage, ok, sounds a bit bleak but I agree, very little seems as if it's being done. David Attenborough says we have till 2030 before we hit the first tipping point. If that doesn't wake people up, I don't know what will.

And I just got into 3D printing. Can't you guys tackle something else for a while? I'd willing swap my 2003 Ford Explorer for anything that runs decent, and a smaller carbon footprint. I'm not really an SUV guy, it's just the first decent used car, in my price range I could find, after Obama destroy most of the good ones, with Cash-4-Clunkers. I'd have prefered another sporty car, like the Grand Prix that got burned up by a motorcycle.
27-06-2019 01:51
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
ManOnAMission wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

And I just got into 3D printing. Can't you guys tackle something else for a while? I'd willing swap my 2003 Ford Explorer for anything that runs decent, and a smaller carbon footprint. I'm not really an SUV guy, it's just the first decent used car, in my price range I could find, after Obama destroy most of the good ones, with Cash-4-Clunkers. I'd have prefered another sporty car, like the Grand Prix that got burned up by a motorcycle.

How much cargo do you need to be able to carry?

The Parrot Killer

27-06-2019 03:51
(5195)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
ManOnAMission wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Mostly, I just need basic transportation to work, and room to haul weekly groceries. Not really much. On those few occasions I need to haul more, or larger things, I can borrow a truck, or rent one. I like a small truck, practical, unfortunately, lot of other people like them too, so a used one ain't cheap, or in need of lot a repair work. Basically, I'll drive anything, just needs to get me to work reliably. I've had some nice cars (well, maybe didn't look it, on the outside so much), and I've had some pretty crappy cars, that needed fluids added daily. Had a few that I knew were going to die anytime, but never seemed to, being the cost of repairs would exceed just buying a replacement vehicle.
27-06-2019 09:48
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
ManOnAMission wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

Mostly, I just need basic transportation to work, and room to haul weekly groceries. Not really much. On those few occasions I need to haul more, or larger things, I can borrow a truck, or rent one. I like a small truck, practical, unfortunately, lot of other people like them too, so a used one ain't cheap, or in need of lot a repair work. Basically, I'll drive anything, just needs to get me to work reliably. I've had some nice cars (well, maybe didn't look it, on the outside so much), and I've had some pretty crappy cars, that needed fluids added daily. Had a few that I knew were going to die anytime, but never seemed to, being the cost of repairs would exceed just buying a replacement vehicle.

Older cars do tend to require repairs. If you can learn to do your own repairs, your options open for finding a car for cheap. Usually someone doesn't want it because of some repair they don't want to pay for.

I've seen cars go for next to free because they needed a new injector or a sensor replaced. Critical sensors are the crankshaft hall effect sensor, the camshaft hall effect sensor, and the mass airflow sensor. Everything else is just trim adjustments for the engine. Investing in an ODBC II reader is a great way to diagnose what's going on. The car's computer will generally tell you everything about the sensors.

Many cars develop leaks in their radiators. You can either replace it, or if it is plastic, you can repair it yourself using simple epoxies and fiberglass (available from your local boat shop).

The large aorta hoses to and from the radiator should be checked. See if they are developing unusual hardness or soft bulges. If one of those go, it's never at a good time for some reason!

When looking at used cars, check the oil. If it's coffee colored, no sale. It's a head gasket. If it's black, that means they haven't been taking care of it. If an automatic, check the transmission fluid. Look for sand on the stick. That will mean a tranny rebuild.

A modest set of socket wrenches, an ODBC II tool, and a couple of the specialty wrenches or star drive screwdrivers will fix most things on your car. You will also need a #2 Phillips screwdriver. You can get all you need as you need it at your nearest Harbor Freight for cheap.

See your local auto store for the ODBC II tool.

The Parrot Killer

28-06-2019 04:41
(5195)
I've always done my own repairs, on everything, with one exception, my water heater. It wasn't installed by the previous owner, in such a way that it was going to be an easy swap, and they took a lot of shortcuts. Need cut-off valves, pipes extended, few other things upgraded. Figured it was worth getting it done quickly, and right in a day (few hours), than going a few days without water, while struggle through a solution. Shouldn't take a half hour to swap out now.

I don't do internal engine work, and only change the transmission filter occasionally (messy job). But do all the other work myself. I'll just buy another car, if the parts or problem is going to exceed the price of a replacement. Not that pick about what I drive, it's just transportation.
28-06-2019 05:13
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I've always done my own repairs, on everything, with one exception, my water heater. It wasn't installed by the previous owner, in such a way that it was going to be an easy swap, and they took a lot of shortcuts. Need cut-off valves, pipes extended, few other things upgraded. Figured it was worth getting it done quickly, and right in a day (few hours), than going a few days without water, while struggle through a solution. Shouldn't take a half hour to swap out now.

I don't do internal engine work, and only change the transmission filter occasionally (messy job). But do all the other work myself. I'll just buy another car, if the parts or problem is going to exceed the price of a replacement. Not that pick about what I drive, it's just transportation.

Oddly enough, Priuses are going for a good price right now. Everyone wants fully electric cars instead of hybrids anymore.

The Parrot Killer

28-06-2019 06:48
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
When looking at used cars, check the oil...... If it's black, that means they haven't been taking care of it.

True, but I have to tell you I firmly believe the best thing you can do for a vehicle is drive it to operating temperature for a period of time EVERY DAMN DAY!

I bought my 04 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton in 2012 with 78,000 miles on it for $12K. Perfect condition...I stole it!

My business exploded shortly after I bought it and suddenly I was working 14-16 hour days and running about 250-350 miles a day....no time for important things like oil changes!

In 2014 I found another steal deal on a 2008 so I bought that and decided to keep it nice and not use it until the 04 was driven into the ground. Shouldn't be long right? Every time this truck left the driveway it was dragging a three thousand pound load or it was pushing snow. I had only changed the oil twice and now there was 180,000 miles on it.

It began to burn a little oil at idle, but that was just valve guides, so I'd just add some every so often when I'd hear a push rod start banging. Usually I'd have to add 4 quarts to get it where it needed to be...6 quart system.

A couple times I thought she was done when the banging got loud and wouldn't go away with adding oil. But I'd then drain the oil and let her idle for 5 minutes on a gallon of diesel fuel in the crank case to get it cleaned out. Dump the diesel and put in some new cheap ass Walmart oil and purring like a kitten again.

No joke this engine was as strong as the day day I bought it. (5.7 Hemi) Even had a friend driving me home one night after one too many. We were on the hwy and behind a slower car. I said pas him! He said no, not enough time. I told him to get his foot in the firewall. He did and his eyes popped, it was so funny. He's actually said "My Ford would NEVER have done THAT!

So, in the winter of 2017 on a -25F morning in January, I accidentally killed her. She was cranking slow and I got lazy. I didn't feel like taking off the entire air induction to give it a shot of Ether at the throttle body, so I drilled a small hole just passed the filter and gave it a big squirt through the hole. Crank, crank, crank....BOOOM!

Whoopsi, I blew up the intake manifold. I still find small pieces of it here and there. I decided to send her down the road for parts. We had a good run...472,000 miles!!!

I treated this truck like total shit, but I drove it every damn day. I probably changed the oil and filter 4 times...NEVER changed the transmission fluid or filter. 472,000 miles, original block, transmission, and transfer case.

Could it REALLY have done any better if I had changed that oil every 5 thousand miles??

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan

Join the debate Climate Change Question:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
12V DC motor question2418-02-2024 23:24
Just one simple question3925-10-2023 02:31
General Question in General Forum.15818-06-2023 10:00
Honest Question for Christians10229-12-2022 16:57
Question for Fauci and Rand Paul about covid 19. Sir's are there any classified files on covid 191802-12-2022 13:48
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact