Remember me
▼ Content

climate change is wrong grammer

climate change is wrong grammer03-04-2019 19:40
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
You can't put two nouns together. It should be either climatic change or changing climate.
10-04-2019 07:37
gadianddeborahslade
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Well, Good information. But everybody understands it as a part of open style English
10-04-2019 08:19
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14366)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
You can't put two nouns together. It should be either climatic change or changing climate.

dog bowl, lamp post, lamp shade, fire fighter, car port, security protocol, climate debate, mail man, goat herder, ball point, race track, match box, cracker jack, night vision, pile driver, desert storm, chump change, ..

... and I don't think that is all of them.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-04-2019 10:38
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
From the multitude of the english version user's manuals I've read, from chinese made products, guessing our language is complicated, and isn't easy to translate well...
10-04-2019 17:59
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21552)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

What about 'cherry pie'?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-04-2019 18:08
(21552)
HarveyH55 wrote:
From the multitude of the english version user's manuals I've read, from chinese made products, guessing our language is complicated, and isn't easy to translate well...

That works both ways. it's tough for people to learn Chinese or Japanese for someone from a Western language culture (such as the United States). Translations can translate words, but you can't translate the idioms. Words have a history in their meaning.

We might say 'Out of sight, out of mind'. When you translate this into Japanese, they don't get the meaning of it. Translating it back can easily become 'invisible idiot'.

All translations suffer from this problem, but it's especially acute translating between Western languages and Eastern languages.

It's perfectly legit to put two nouns together in English.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-04-2019 19:00
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

I'll remember that next time I say Ford Truck. Or Microsoft Company. Or US Air Force. Or Banana Republic. Or Chinese Communists.
10-04-2019 19:29
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14366)
Into the Night wrote: It's perfectly legit to put two nouns together in English.

"parrot killer"?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-04-2019 20:27
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

That works both ways. it's tough for people to learn Chinese or Japanese for someone from a Western language culture (such as the United States). Translations can translate words, but you can't translate the idioms. Words have a history in their meaning.

We might say 'Out of sight, out of mind'. When you translate this into Japanese, they don't get the meaning of it. Translating it back can easily become 'invisible idiot'.

All translations suffer from this problem, but it's especially acute translating between Western languages and Eastern languages.

Yeah, I get the language difference, they all have some subties, and depend on how they are spoken, or the context in which they are used. Just knowing the words, doesn't mean you know how to use them correctly. But China though, lot of Americans living and working over there, as well as many other English speaking countries, taking advantage, as we do. You'd think they wouldn't have trouble finding one to look over the google-translate of user manuals, before printing. But then again, maybe they do, and some kid is just having a little fun with words. Don't remember any weird to read fortune cookies...
10-04-2019 21:57
(21552)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yeah, I get the language difference, they all have some subties, and depend on how they are spoken, or the context in which they are used. Just knowing the words, doesn't mean you know how to use them correctly. But China though, lot of Americans living and working over there, as well as many other English speaking countries, taking advantage, as we do. You'd think they wouldn't have trouble finding one to look over the google-translate of user manuals, before printing. But then again, maybe they do, and some kid is just having a little fun with words. Don't remember any weird to read fortune cookies...

I sure do! You gotta eat at the right restaurants, that get their cookies from China instead of some source in the U.S. (where most fortune cookies come from!).

We used to laugh over a Honda manual translated from Japanese to English apparently by someone that only spoke Swahili.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 10-04-2019 22:11

Join the debate climate change is wrong grammer:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Every time I say that this board is dead, someone says something to prove me wrong, but901-01-2024 05:08
It is not if, but when will North become South and the Geese will fly the wrong way7824-11-2023 03:35
A conservative website that gets it wrong about Global Warming320-06-2023 19:34
As I said, Quantum Experiment Shows How Einstein Was Wrong416-05-2023 21:31
Einstein Was Maybe Slightly Wrong4416-04-2022 19:22
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact