▼ Content

Climate change, how it is viewed through social media

Page 1 of 212>
Climate change, how it is viewed through social media22-09-2016 21:17
Schoolkid
☆☆☆☆☆
(3)
Ok, so to start this debate.
How do people think climate change is a threat? ya the worlds climate is changing constantly - we always have one day cooler than the other and another day warmer than another- the climate is changing.
22-09-2016 21:19
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Schoolkid wrote: ya the worlds climate is changing constantly - we always have one day cooler than the other and another day warmer than another- the climate is changing.

That's the weather. You need to learn the difference between "climate" and weather.

The weather changes all the time.

"Climate" never changes.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
22-09-2016 21:29
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
So even during the Ice Ages, there was no trend of "most places are 1.5 degrees colder than before"? Intriguing.
23-09-2016 05:44
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:
So even during the Ice Ages, there was no trend of "most places are 1.5 degrees colder than before"? Intriguing.

Is that the figure your religion is preaching?

Besides, that's weather. You don't even know the difference between weather and "climate"!

What a bonehead. Don't you know anything?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-09-2016 08:31
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
If crops fail that is a threat, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see how changes in temperature could have negative effects.
23-09-2016 09:18
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
spot wrote:
If crops fail that is a threat, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see how changes in temperature could have negative effects.

Crops fail. How is that different from any other day?
Crops are bountiful. How is that different from any other day?

You can take your "End of the World is Nigh" and shove it back into the dark hole of your Church of Global Warming.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-09-2016 09:24
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Shove it in the dark hole? Are you sure this is the right forum for you?
23-09-2016 11:43
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
spot wrote:

Yes indeed.

Cooling would be very bad.

Greenhouses are kept warmer and full of high levels of CO2.

A warmer world is a wetter world. There will be the occaisional drought and stuff as always but the really big civilization killers happened during the cold snaps.
23-09-2016 12:02
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Tim the plumber wrote:
spot wrote:

Yes indeed.

Cooling would be very bad.

Greenhouses are kept warmer and full of high levels of CO2.

A warmer world is a wetter world. There will be the occaisional drought and stuff as always but the really big civilization killers happened during the cold snaps.

Warming is the issue because this is what is happening, if we were altering climate to be cooler we could talk about the benefits/drawbacks of that.
23-09-2016 12:48
(14373)
spot wrote:If crops fail that is a threat, it doesn't take much of an imagination to see how changes in temperature could have negative effects.

Sure, but it's not a threat from Santa Claus or gremlins or Global Warming or of anything else that isn't real.

23-09-2016 14:52
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
CO2 can be bad for plants. Just like how oxygen can be bad for humans.
23-09-2016 17:44
(14373)
spot wrote:Shove it in the dark hole? Are you sure this is the right forum for you?

It's interesting to note that you are inclined to reading in a particular message. I'll try to feed that need of yours.

Sometimes it's dark at the end of the tunnel, like when the sun isn't shining there.

23-09-2016 18:29
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Spot, please stop. You're making us look bad. Stop being juvenile.
Edited on 23-09-2016 18:29
23-09-2016 18:52
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
who cares this place is a joke.
23-09-2016 18:57
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Yeah. But I'd like to be on the side of maturity, not the side of "is correct, but is just like the other side in every other way".
23-09-2016 19:26
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote: Yeah. But I'd like to be on the side of maturity, not the side of "is correct, but is just like the other side in every other way".

Is that your reason for not providing any "climate" science? ...that you don't want to be like the "other side" who is basing everything on science?

I see where you're going with that.

23-09-2016 19:27
(14373)
spot wrote: who cares this place is a joke.

Yeah, spot, just ignore him. You're doing fine.

23-09-2016 19:27
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Just shut up, IB. I'm sick of your constant insults and attacks. You're the one who's misusing science. We're using it correctly.
23-09-2016 19:40
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:Just shut up, IB. I'm sick of your constant insults and attacks. You're the one who's misusing science. We're using it correctly.

Remember, you have worked hard for all the derision you receive. You should consider giving up being a bulveristic dumbass. Respect is a two-way street. If you want some you need to show some. If you want no disrespect then you shouldn't dish it out.

Scientific illiterates like yourself are particularly vulnerable to mockery so you should be careful who you accuse of "not knowing anything." People who live in glass houses, etc...

Oh, but if you are telling me to shut up, I guess I had better obey. I don't want to get on your bad side, especially if you are getting "sick" of all the insults you beg me to throw your way. Of course I'll just shut up. You can count on it. Absolutely.

23-09-2016 19:49
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
**** you. Just, seriously, shut up.
23-09-2016 20:48
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
CO2 can be bad for plants. Just like how oxygen can be bad for humans.

And at what concentration of CO2 is it bad for plants?

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-09-2016 20:49
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Spot, please stop. You're making us look bad. Stop being juvenile.

It's too late. Spot can't make you look more juvenile that you've already made yourself look.

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 20:51
(21559)
spot wrote:
who cares this place is a joke.

HAHAHAHAHA! I met this climate debate forum one day and ........ ?

I don't get it.

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 20:52
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Just shut up, IB. I'm sick of your constant insults and attacks. You're the one who's misusing science. We're using it correctly.

You can't even define science without building a paradox. How can you use it correctly?

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 20:53
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:**** you. Just, seriously, shut up.

I can't just jovially shut up? You want me to seriously shut up? OK. As you wish. I'll get right on it. Say no more, say no more. You don't have to tell me twice. You bark "shut up!" and I ask "how high?"

...or I could ask "Shall I drop my pants right now so you can blome E.?"

Were you going to post the "climate" science that you reviewed and understand that convinced you "greenhouse effect" is real and active in our lives?

23-09-2016 20:55
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
**** you. Just, seriously, shut up.

Do you really think you can just order people around?

What a childish little dictator you have become.

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 21:06
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
How about you stop being arseholes, and then I'll stop losing my temper. Can we agree on that?
23-09-2016 21:11
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:How about you stop being arseholes, and then I'll stop losing my temper. Can we agree on that?

Not at all. I thoroughly enjoy when bulveristic ashsoles lose their temper. Lose-away!

You keep placing requirements on others. You never concern yourself with how you behave.

Nah,let's just keep it the way it is. At least that way we have no pretenses. It's not like you are positively contributing anyway.

23-09-2016 21:19
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
How about you stop being arseholes, and then I'll stop losing my temper. Can we agree on that?

No.

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 21:37
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
No clue. Just saying that it can be harmful, and that it isn't necessarily good to increase its concentration. Especially since if M2C2 is true, the weather will (somehow) get worse and that will... be worse for plants? I guess? What does "worse" even mean? More storms? More rain doesn't seem like a bad thing for plants, though. Hmm.
23-09-2016 21:44
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
No clue. Just saying that it can be harmful, and that it isn't necessarily good to increase its concentration. Especially since if M2C2 is true, the weather will (somehow) get worse and that will... be worse for plants? I guess? What does "worse" even mean? More storms? More rain doesn't seem like a bad thing for plants, though. Hmm.

Then you're guessing.

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 21:59
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Yeah, I guess so.
23-09-2016 22:05
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote: No clue. Just saying that it can be harmful, and that it isn't necessarily good to increase its concentration. Especially since if M2C2 is true, the weather will (somehow) get worse and that will... be worse for plants? I guess? What does "worse" even mean? More storms? More rain doesn't seem like a bad thing for plants, though. Hmm.

It's bogus to base your actions solely on fear. It's even worse to base your actions solely on fear should a religion be true. Otherwise you should let Pascal's Wager guide you to Christianity.

Ask Into the Night if we've been getting ever increasing storm activity since the Industrial Revolution.

23-09-2016 22:06
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
You're right, but what if I'm afraid of a train hitting me? Wouldn't it be logical to stay off the train tracks?
23-09-2016 22:21
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
You're right, but what if I'm afraid of a train hitting me? Wouldn't it be logical to stay off the train tracks?

The train might still hit you. Trains sometimes leave tracks. Some trains run with no tracks at all. They have tires. Some of those trains run on streets, sidewalks, or even inside buildings.

Now that you know this, are you going to live your life in fear of getting hit by a train?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 23-09-2016 22:22
23-09-2016 22:21
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:You're right, but what if I'm afraid of a train hitting me? Wouldn't it be logical to stay off the train tracks?

Yes. Perhaps I should have distinguished between fear of something real/tangible vs. fear of the imagined.

Politicians all invoke fear to further their agendas. They try not to use anything verifiable lest they be called on it. Global Warming is entirely based on fear of the unfalsifiable/unverifiable/untestable.

On the other hand, if a lion is on the loose, get to safety.

23-09-2016 22:24
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:You're right, but what if I'm afraid of a train hitting me? Wouldn't it be logical to stay off the train tracks?

Yes. Perhaps I should have distinguished between fear of something real/tangible vs. fear of the imagined.

Politicians all invoke fear to further their agendas. They try not to use anything verifiable lest they be called on it. Global Warming is entirely based on fear of the unfalsifiable/unverifiable/untestable.

On the other hand, if a lion is on the loose, get to safety.

Awww...it's just a pussycat....

The Parrot Killer

23-09-2016 22:26
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
But what if GW is actually happening? Shouldn't we reduce CO2 emissions... just in case?

No, wait, that's Pascal's Wager again. Shit.

And I also don't like how politicians invoke fear, and this is a political issue... Hmm.
23-09-2016 22:31
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:But what if GW is actually happening? Shouldn't we reduce CO2 emissions... just in case?

No, wait, that's Pascal's Wager again. Shit.

We have a winner! Good job! You got that before I could spring it on you. Bonus points are in order.

23-09-2016 22:58
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
But surely an entire branch of science can't be wrong...

Wait, that's a variant of argument from authority.

This is kind of fun.
Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Climate change, how it is viewed through social media:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Layers of the Atmosphere as Viewed in Blue2227-01-2024 23:16
None Of You Know The Real Intend, Purpose Of Climate Change Issue On The Media704-12-2023 04:02
Biden is starting WW3 by sending 3000 troops to Poland/Belarus border and no American media cares1117-08-2023 20:14
Trump appointed federal Judge Limits Federal Government's Contact with Social Media Companies306-07-2023 18:11
How America Got Divorced from Reality: Christian Utopias, Anti-Elitism, Media Circus - Kurt Andersen2014-04-2022 19:02
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact