Remember me
▼ Content

Climate Change funding?

Climate Change funding?15-12-2018 19:43
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
So, I was wondering (mind wanders a lot), just how much money our government has dumped into this non-issue, since it started in the 90's. I looked at several government reports (.gov websites), and had trouble finding any very direct answers, or current figures. Seems like 2014 was sort of a public cutoff year. Really thought government spending was public record, for much of it anyway. Maybe it's hidden under a different title, which they didn't bother to mention, or there are some abnormalities, they haven't found an explanation, or created one for as yet.

I could understand that 2018 might not be included, since it's not over yet, and many agencies scramble to use up their surplus budgets, but 3 years of only bits and pieces, from a few agencies, only slightly involved in Climate Change.

I left the .GOV search, as it wasn't getting me to the information I was hoping to find, and found this site...
https://www.climatedollars.org/full-study/us-govt-funding-of-climate-change/
It stops a 2014, but discusses some more current spending, think they hit the same lack of government reporting, I discovered. Wondering why something like this never makes mass media. How our tax dollars are used/wasted has been public interest story forever, people want to know. It's suppose to be public record, to catch the politicians with the sticky-fingers, to keep the rest, basically honest. We aren't talking pocket change, it's hundreds of million dollars, billions, if you include tax credits (lost tax revenue), international aid, and grants.

Just seemed really odd, that up through 2014, it's pretty easy to get totals and break downs of spending on 'Climate Change', then it suddenly stops. I'm going to guess that it got shifted to another department, or a newly created one, and I just don't know where to look yet.
15-12-2018 20:55
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
So, I was wondering (mind wanders a lot), just how much money our government has dumped into this non-issue, since it started in the 90's. I looked at several government reports (.gov websites), and had trouble finding any very direct answers, or current figures. Seems like 2014 was sort of a public cutoff year. Really thought government spending was public record, for much of it anyway. Maybe it's hidden under a different title, which they didn't bother to mention, or there are some abnormalities, they haven't found an explanation, or created one for as yet.

I could understand that 2018 might not be included, since it's not over yet, and many agencies scramble to use up their surplus budgets, but 3 years of only bits and pieces, from a few agencies, only slightly involved in Climate Change.

I left the .GOV search, as it wasn't getting me to the information I was hoping to find, and found this site...
It stops a 2014, but discusses some more current spending, think they hit the same lack of government reporting, I discovered. Wondering why something like this never makes mass media. How our tax dollars are used/wasted has been public interest story forever, people want to know. It's suppose to be public record, to catch the politicians with the sticky-fingers, to keep the rest, basically honest. We aren't talking pocket change, it's hundreds of million dollars, billions, if you include tax credits (lost tax revenue), international aid, and grants.

Just seemed really odd, that up through 2014, it's pretty easy to get totals and break downs of spending on 'Climate Change', then it suddenly stops. I'm going to guess that it got shifted to another department, or a newly created one, and I just don't know where to look yet.

A big part of the problem is the federal government doesn't even know how big it is. Accurate figures for most any major program are sketchy.

In addition, most of this waste isn't government money at all. It's private money, sometimes spent to 'further the cause', other times spent to cover the costs of some government regulation caused by the Church of Global Warming or the Church of Green (they are closely related).

It's kind of like trying to figure out how much money is spent to further Marxism.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-12-2018 21:00
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Climate alarmism is a political and not a scientific issue. The vast majority of money that is spent on AGW is on climate alarmism and was completely unnecessary. This is partially what is meant by Deep State - when the government bureaucrats spend YOUR tax money without the slightest oversight from the people's elected leaders. This sort of authority has to be removed entirely from government agencies except for the military in times of emergency.
16-12-2018 01:15
(21559)
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Climate alarmism is a political and not a scientific issue. The vast majority of money that is spent on AGW is on climate alarmism and was completely unnecessary. This is partially what is meant by Deep State - when the government bureaucrats spend YOUR tax money without the slightest oversight from the people's elected leaders. This sort of authority has to be removed entirely from government agencies except for the military in times of emergency.

There actually IS oversight from Congress. The House has the purse strings. They also review the regulations written by these agencies from time to time, especially if a lot of people start complaining about them.

Even the military is funded this way.

No, the Deep State is not about lack of oversight by Congress, it's about those in Washington DC that seek power through illegitimate means.

It is the organized crime that exists in Washington DC. Many of these people work in various federal agencies. Lately, many have come to act like the KGB. To them, there is no rule of law.

The Deep State is not the various federal agencies themselves, it's some of the people that are in them.

You are right that it is the Deep State that continues to push the Global Warming agenda.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 16-12-2018 01:18
16-12-2018 01:42
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

There actually IS oversight from Congress. The House has the purse strings. They also review the regulations written by these agencies from time to time, especially if a lot of people start complaining about them.

No, the Deep State is not about lack of oversight by Congress, it's about those in Washington DC that seek power through illegitimate means.

It is the organized crime that exists in Washington DC. Many of these people work in various federal agencies. Lately, many have come to act like the KGB. To them, there is no rule of law.

The Deep State is not the various federal agencies themselves, it's some of the people that are in them.

You are right that it is the Deep State that continues to push the Global Warming agenda.

Congress assigns a dollar amount budgeted to each department. Other than that the ONLY way they can have any oversight at all is by passing a law against what one of these departments may be doing. And these departments have successfully lobbied against any interference in their management EVERY SINGLE TIME the question has come up.
16-12-2018 20:58
(21559)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Congress assigns a dollar amount budgeted to each department. Other than that the ONLY way they can have any oversight at all is by passing a law against what one of these departments may be doing. And these departments have successfully lobbied against any interference in their management EVERY SINGLE TIME the question has come up.

Not true. Congress can and does pass a law to change what one of these departments is doing. The FAA, the FCC, the EPA, and the FTC are examples of this. Congress passed laws to change these departments.

The Parrot Killer

16-12-2018 21:40
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Not true. Congress can and does pass a law to change what one of these departments is doing. The FAA, the FCC, the EPA, and the FTC are examples of this. Congress passed laws to change these departments.

Name ONE issue in which Congress interceded on the part of America over the interests of the bureaucracy.

Each of these departments turns in a budget to the House who assembles a national budget and votes on it and the President must sign or veto it. If this occurs there is quibbling but not much and rarely effectively.

This country is run almost entirely by unfettered bureaucrats. What more would you need slapping you in the face than there not being any arrests in the case of the Yellow River EPA disaster?
16-12-2018 22:26
(21559)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Name ONE issue in which Congress interceded on the part of America over the interests of the bureaucracy.

The FAA wanted to implement 'user fees' for accessing ATC services and weather reports. Congress directed them to cease and desist, and further required the FAA to provide these services by ignoring union contracts. Today, both services are non-union.

The FCC wanted to reallocate several amateur radio bands to commercial services. Congress told them to cease and desist. Congress further directed the FCC to designate Ghz range frequencies for these services according to ITU treaty.

The EPA was directed by Congress and Obama to consider CO2 as a 'pollutant'.

Wake wrote:
Each of these departments turns in a budget to the House who assembles a national budget and votes on it and the President must sign or veto it. If this occurs there is quibbling but not much and rarely effectively.

This is partially true. The effect of budgets on these departments is real. Sometimes they get what they asked for, sometimes not. Most of the time they get what they asked for, or even more than that. This is the fault of Congress, not the departments.
Wake wrote:
This country is run almost entirely by unfettered bureaucrats.

No, it is Congress that is the problem. They have the authority to remove any one of these departments any time they want to. They rarely do.
Wake wrote:
What more would you need slapping you in the face than there not being any arrests in the case of the Yellow River EPA disaster?

Irrelevant. Strawman fallacy. The sheriff of that county is not at issue here.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-12-2018 22:27
16-12-2018 22:57
(5195)
The Yellow River spill was a long time in the works, was just a matter of time. Their continued messing with it, is what caused the big spill. That slug was draining out since they started mining, which some folks didn't like, so they started plugging off the natural drainage points, to make the locals happy, and keep the mine going, business as usual. Cheaper to leave the byproducts of the mining where it lay, than haul it out with the ore. Water naturally seeps through the rock, and gravity keeps pulling it down, creates pressure, something will give way eventually, rocks erode over time.

Some of the mines in that area, are over 100 years old, and been seeping mining debris into the rivers the whole time. Don't know when the environmentalist started complaining, and pushed to get the drainage plugged, but they had to know there wasn't going to be tons of mining waste removed from the old tunnels, and dump somewhere else. Nobody was charged, because the fault doesn't really fall on anyone, or group. That stuff would have found it's own way out eventually, and the pressure would have kept building until it did.
17-12-2018 20:40
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
The Yellow River spill was a long time in the works, was just a matter of time. Their continued messing with it, is what caused the big spill. That slug was draining out since they started mining, which some folks didn't like, so they started plugging off the natural drainage points, to make the locals happy, and keep the mine going, business as usual. Cheaper to leave the byproducts of the mining where it lay, than haul it out with the ore. Water naturally seeps through the rock, and gravity keeps pulling it down, creates pressure, something will give way eventually, rocks erode over time.

Some of the mines in that area, are over 100 years old, and been seeping mining debris into the rivers the whole time. Don't know when the environmentalist started complaining, and pushed to get the drainage plugged, but they had to know there wasn't going to be tons of mining waste removed from the old tunnels, and dump somewhere else. Nobody was charged, because the fault doesn't really fall on anyone, or group. That stuff would have found it's own way out eventually, and the pressure would have kept building until it did.

This scenarios sounds quite plausible. Thank you.

The Parrot Killer

18-12-2018 00:08
(5195)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Wonder if they just plugged the hole, and are focused on the river. If they aren't providing drainage for the mines, it'll just be a similar problem sometime in the future. Guess it'll be somebody else's problem, and expense, the democrat's solution...
18-12-2018 01:27
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Wonder if they just plugged the hole, and are focused on the river. If they aren't providing drainage for the mines, it'll just be a similar problem sometime in the future. Guess it'll be somebody else's problem, and expense, the democrat's solution...

These mines were really mishandling their tailings in the first place. It was probably inevitable the river would get polluted. The EPA just happened to be ones to 'pull the plug'.

The Parrot Killer

18-12-2018 19:51
(5195)
Wonder how this partial government shut down will effect climatology. Sort os suspect that the Obama administration locked that into the budget for the next hundred years or so. Never really understood the shut down thing, we pay all these people to represent us on capital hill, and it takes a whole year, or more, to agree how to spend money, we can't afford. It would make some sense, if they didn't have to keep borrowing trillions of dollars each year. Could understand the borrowing, if so crisis came up, after the decided on the budget, but it seems to be part of the process, the plan on borrowing.
18-12-2018 21:50
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Wonder how this partial government shut down will effect climatology.

It won't.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Sort os suspect that the Obama administration locked that into the budget for the next hundred years or so.
Try earlier. Some of this stuff goes back to the Carter years or even earlier (Keeling developed his instruments during the Kennedy years).
HarveyH55 wrote:
Never really understood the shut down thing, we pay all these people to represent us on capital hill, and it takes a whole year, or more, to agree how to spend money, we can't afford. It would make some sense, if they didn't have to keep borrowing trillions of dollars each year. Could understand the borrowing, if so crisis came up, after the decided on the budget, but it seems to be part of the process, the plan on borrowing.

Think of the government shutdown as kind of a paid holiday for many in the federal government. None of the affected government workers will see a reduction in their pay.

The Parrot Killer

18-12-2018 22:03
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:

You seem to have missed what this is: The Trump administration wanted to turn the FAA towers and controllers over to private subcontractors at each airport. This would save the American people billions of dollars every year. There would still be bureaucratic oversight but the departments would have lost 90% of their power. Congress PROTECTED the spending of the FAA retaining the size and power of those Bureaucrats and not the other way around. This was the same with the other agencies. Why don't you actually look into these things instead of shouting foul without any knowledge?
19-12-2018 20:35
(21559)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You seem to have missed what this is: The Trump administration wanted to turn the FAA towers and controllers over to private subcontractors at each airport.

Many of them ARE private subcontractors at each airport.
Wake wrote:
This would save the American people billions of dollars every year. There would still be bureaucratic oversight but the departments would have lost 90% of their power. Congress PROTECTED the spending of the FAA retaining the size and power of those Bureaucrats and not the other way around. This was the same with the other agencies. Why don't you actually look into these things instead of shouting foul without any knowledge?

Blame Congress, not the FAA. The FAA's power does not rest in it's air traffic controllers!

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-12-2018 20:36

Join the debate Climate Change funding?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Pelham gets funding to hire climate change co-ordinator412-03-2019 23:17
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact