Remember me
▼ Content

Climate Change

Page 2 of 2<12
22-12-2020 11:23
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Too much corn whiskey...

I'm programming for microcontrollers, not computers. The compiler uses 'C', or likely something 'mostly'. Not sure if there are other optional languages, other than assembly language. The parts libraries for the various hardware, like these NRF24L01+ Transceivers, make it a lot easier to program. I can maybe go a different language to compile, bu I'd like lose some/all support for other things. Anyway, I go, I'd still have to learn a new language, this one is best supported.

Don't really care what kids these days can do, when I was their age, there were no desktop computers yet. Very few people even had access to computers at all. I was in high school, when home computers were just starting to come out. I did learn BASIC, and 6502 assembly, one 8-bit home computers, but pretty much stopped, after Windows screwed everything up. I'm more into electronics, than computers and programming.
22-12-2020 11:47
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Too much corn whiskey...

I'm programming for microcontrollers, not computers. The compiler uses 'C', or likely something 'mostly'. Not sure if there are other optional languages, other than assembly language. The parts libraries for the various hardware, like these NRF24L01+ Transceivers, make it a lot easier to program. I can maybe go a different language to compile, bu I'd like lose some/all support for other things. Anyway, I go, I'd still have to learn a new language, this one is best supported.

Don't really care what kids these days can do, when I was their age, there were no desktop computers yet. Very few people even had access to computers at all. I was in high school, when home computers were just starting to come out. I did learn BASIC, and 6502 assembly, one 8-bit home computers, but pretty much stopped, after Windows screwed everything up. I'm more into electronics, than computers and programming.

It sounds like you're talking about linking your controller to your drone. And with you, why delete files and cache and install a new OS when you can follow the instructions provided to you. It's easier to use what the factory installed, right?
Anyway, seems to be what you're saying.
22-12-2020 16:30
(5196)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Too much corn whiskey...

It sounds like you're talking about linking your controller to your drone. And with you, why delete files and cache and install a new OS when you can follow the instructions provided to you. It's easier to use what the factory installed, right?

WTF?

No, I want to remotely control and Airsoft turret, to shoot raccoons in my backyard. I need the bi-directional communication, for a motion detector to give me the alert first, so I can locate my cats, or a least see what I might be shooting at. I already have video security cameras, but that's useless for shooting at a specific target. Airsoft isn't real accurate to begin with, so I just want to sweep the general direction, less than 180 degrees.

I probably could use an old RC transmitter, and decode the PCM from the receiver, or control the servo directly, but still need to control the gun, and would get a motion alert. I seldom see the raccoons live on camera, just after their visit, or when they come in the house. Down to just 4 of them now...
22-12-2020 19:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Too much corn whiskey...

WTF?

No, I want to remotely control and Airsoft turret, to shoot raccoons in my backyard. I need the bi-directional communication, for a motion detector to give me the alert first, so I can locate my cats, or a least see what I might be shooting at. I already have video security cameras, but that's useless for shooting at a specific target. Airsoft isn't real accurate to begin with, so I just want to sweep the general direction, less than 180 degrees.

I probably could use an old RC transmitter, and decode the PCM from the receiver, or control the servo directly, but still need to control the gun, and would get a motion alert. I seldom see the raccoons live on camera, just after their visit, or when they come in the house. Down to just 4 of them now...

I thought one of the joys with living in Central Florida was the wild life.
Can't you mount a camera next to your turret? If you could, then maybe you could use a joystick to control your turret and for firing at hostile targets you acquire.
Will the motion sensor wake up your system?
22-12-2020 22:10
(5196)
I can program it any way I want. I had a lot of hopes and dreams, but it's been exhausting, to just getting the radios to talk. Probably just use the motion detector to sound an alert in the house, and a single button, to start the sweep, firing as quick as the gun can cycle. Probably just two passes, per press of the button. There will be a camera, but think it will be fixed. Think moving it, would just give blurry video at night. I'll be able to add and change, as needed. It's raccoons, they are persistent, and not real bright. Might scare them off, but likely to come back. My other attempts only worked a couple of times. These pellets won't hurt them, might sting a little, if 10-15 feet away. Mostly it's the sound and motion. Worry about getting something to work, and them improve or modify as needed.
22-12-2020 22:56
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Too much corn whiskey...

WTF?

The old PIC in the eye, eh? Happy shootin'!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-12-2020 01:22
(5196)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Too much corn whiskey...

WTF?

The old PIC in the eye, eh? Happy shootin'!

I first started with the Atmel ATTiny series. It was the assemble command set, which was closer to 6502, which I was already familiar. Microchip's PIC, has a really small instruction set, something about paying for a compiler too... Just recently started using Arduino boards, which are fine for most of what I do, plug right into the USB port. My chip programmer had a bunch of jumpers, and needed configured for different chips. Bought 10 Nano boards for $28, shipped, been hooked since. Not much bigger than most of the boards I etched myself.
23-12-2020 04:56
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I can program it any way I want. I had a lot of hopes and dreams, but it's been exhausting, to just getting the radios to talk. Probably just use the motion detector to sound an alert in the house, and a single button, to start the sweep, firing as quick as the gun can cycle. Probably just two passes, per press of the button. There will be a camera, but think it will be fixed. Think moving it, would just give blurry video at night. I'll be able to add and change, as needed. It's raccoons, they are persistent, and not real bright. Might scare them off, but likely to come back. My other attempts only worked a couple of times. These pellets won't hurt them, might sting a little, if 10-15 feet away. Mostly it's the sound and motion. Worry about getting something to work, and them improve or modify as needed.

Not sure if you've tried it but quite often red light is ignored by wildlife. That might give you some extra time for a better aim.
23-12-2020 10:22
(5196)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Not sure if you've tried it but quite often red light is ignored by wildlife. That might give you some extra time for a better aim.

Who ever told you that? The trail camera I used in the raccoon video, gives off a visible read glow. Haven't uploaded the most recent (20 m
, but it shows one attacking the camera. The cats sit there looking at it.
23-12-2020 17:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Who ever told you that? The trail camera I used in the raccoon video, gives off a visible read glow. Haven't uploaded the most recent (20 m

They use them all the time in nature documentaries. One kid in Africa (not a nature documentary) found out that blinking lights kept lions away.

In this link, it's #3. https://blog.nwf.org/2005/10/mother-natures-late-show-9-tips-for-watching-wildlife-at-night/

If you try blinking lights, just wire some 40 watt (or lower) bulbs together. If a timer is possible. Then maybe your motion sensor could turn it on. It's just that nocturnal animals might want avoid lights because it will make it more difficult for them to see. And with low wattage bulbs, them being on for a short amount of time might not be noticed inside someone's home.
23-12-2020 21:51
(21582)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

They use them all the time in nature documentaries. One kid in Africa (not a nature documentary) found out that blinking lights kept lions away.

In this link, it's #3. https://blog.nwf.org/2005/10/mother-natures-late-show-9-tips-for-watching-wildlife-at-night/

If you try blinking lights, just wire some 40 watt (or lower) bulbs together. If a timer is possible. Then maybe your motion sensor could turn it on. It's just that nocturnal animals might want avoid lights because it will make it more difficult for them to see. And with low wattage bulbs, them being on for a short amount of time might not be noticed inside someone's home.

What works for a lion in Africa does not work for a racoon in Florida or even all lions or all cats.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 23-12-2020 21:52
23-12-2020 22:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

What works for a lion in Africa does not work for a racoon in Florida or even all lions or all cats.

Just trying to help Harvey. If raccoons can see red light, he needs to know that.
For other wildlife on his property, it gives him an idea of what he might need to know.
I mean seriously, him shooting a raccoon with BBs will deter THOSE raccoons.
Raccoons might displace other raccoons from their territory. What needs to be considered.
The issue is, how to resolve what he considers as a pest control problem. As someone who likes wild life, I also like non-lethal ways of preventing loss of life.
In places like Africa, this is a serious issue. Why with Harvey, he can keep what he considers as pests out. I will support that. At the same time, does it require killing "pests"?
And with me, Harvey can be a nice guy by allowing for pests while keeping his property free of what he doesn't like. Not an easy way to pursue an objective but it is one that I support.
23-12-2020 23:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Specifically speaking of lions, they scavenge the prey a lioness killed. Lions don't hunt. Lions avoid elephants. The King of the Jungle avoids what will kill it. Kind of why it's king. Others do its killing for it.
Edited on 23-12-2020 23:19
24-12-2020 02:11
(5196)
I could simply call Animal Control, or pest removal service. Living near downtown, likely the city would send someone out to trap them. I don't really want to kill them, just persuade them to hangout someplace else. Raccoon traps, are also cat traps... They aren't doing damage, or even making a mess, actually pretty well behaved, for wild animals.

I initially tried lights, loud sounds, Xenon strobes, with only a couple of nights of success, then ignored, or played with. Tried zapping them, got one cat, the raccoons weren't that impressed. It was kind of wet, not ideal. May try again in dryer weather. The plastic pellets, are relatively harmless, but most critters run, but doesn't stop them from returning, much. I'm not sure this project will be the solution, but it's an interesting journey. I'll be able to use what I learn, for other projects.
24-12-2020 02:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I could simply call Animal Control, or pest removal service. Living near downtown, likely the city would send someone out to trap them. I don't really want to kill them, just persuade them to hangout someplace else. Raccoon traps, are also cat traps... They aren't doing damage, or even making a mess, actually pretty well behaved, for wild animals.

I initially tried lights, loud sounds, Xenon strobes, with only a couple of nights of success, then ignored, or played with. Tried zapping them, got one cat, the raccoons weren't that impressed. It was kind of wet, not ideal. May try again in dryer weather. The plastic pellets, are relatively harmless, but most critters run, but doesn't stop them from returning, much. I'm not sure this project will be the solution, but it's an interesting journey. I'll be able to use what I learn, for other projects.

You're a source of food. What you put in your trash is a food source.
Options are providing food outside of your target area. When hostiles target you, what is the best response?
If eliminating the targets by peaceful means (death) is not acceptable, then alternative methods need to be considered. How to engage the enemy?
Allowing for live targets only allows for more hostiles. Are we sure that more hostiles are the solution? It seems that peacefully (sending to heaven) illuminating targets is the correct approach.

p.s., Merry Christmas

Edited on 24-12-2020 02:26
24-12-2020 03:38
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Specifically speaking of lions, they scavenge the prey a lioness killed. Lions don't hunt. Lions avoid elephants. The King of the Jungle avoids what will kill it. Kind of why it's king. Others do its killing for it.

Lions hunt. Unlike most cats, lions will coordinate their hunting.

The Parrot Killer

24-12-2020 03:41
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:

You could always try an electric fencer. Both raccoons and your cats will avoid the wire, once they learn what it is. It will not harm either one.

The Parrot Killer

24-12-2020 04:34
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I think everyone knows that Lions don't hunt. That's the purpose of the pride.
24-12-2020 04:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You could always try an electric fencer. Both raccoons and your cats will avoid the wire, once they learn what it is. It will not harm either one.

Nocturnal animals will avoid light. Cats are domesticated,
24-12-2020 06:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
If President Trump vetoes this legislation, I support him.
The legislation would show that Senator Mitch McConnell
is in control. We do not need China in control.
Trump at this time needs to stand for America.
24-12-2020 06:45
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
The lights have changed. It's written in time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Dh-I0_m5Y

In reality, a British Lord died. Why the song. He was the richest person in England.
He died because the model whose life he saved mattered to him. The song A Day In The Life was written about him.
More specifically, when John and Paul read it on the front page, it became a hit for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usNsCeOV4GM

Yep, someone's death made them a hit song. John Lennon read in the Daily Mail newspaper: Guinness heir Tara Browne dying when he smashed his lotus into a parked van,

The lucky man who made the grade. His girlfriend the model survived. He used his body to protect her in the crash. The song got it wrong.

And today, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney are "Lords". With Tara who died protecting his girlfriend? The richest guy in Europe. It seems that the British Invasion changed life in more ways than one. Now the guys in the bars are the "Lords".
Edited on 24-12-2020 07:16
24-12-2020 09:26
(5196)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Guess raccoons aren't nocturnal. since they have been in my kitchen several times, with the lights on. They also come on the back porch, which is lighted, well most of the night. It's solar powered, and goes until the 12 volt battery runs down to the set point. Nocturnal animals take advantage of darkness, and work the night shift. Like anything else, sudden brightness, temporarily blinds them, but they adjust.
24-12-2020 11:31
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I think everyone knows that Lions don't hunt. That's the purpose of the pride.

They hunt as a pride, or starve.

The Parrot Killer

24-12-2020 11:37
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

No, they don't. Raccoons, owls, coyotes, bats, etc. will routinely be seen in lights. Bats will even go toward the lights, though they fly at night.

The Parrot Killer

Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate Climate Change:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact