(3314)
keepit wrote:
Merry Christmas to all my frenemies.

Merry Christmas, keepit!
26-12-2021 03:05
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
We had a maximum of 42.8 C on Christmas day due to North Easterlies blowing down from the Pilbara where it was 46-48 C.The warmazombies are going to go crazy on this even though it was a lot hotter in 1968.Death toll.Zero.And it has cooled of already.
26-12-2021 04:13
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Our Christmas was in the upper 70s F. Not sure what it peaked at, spent most of the day with family. Unmasked... I was the only one unvaccinated. Guess it's on me, if anyone catches the 'sniffles'. They knew I wasn't vaccinated, and not likely to join the club. Still felt a little uncomfortable, since Omicron is evasive, and mom is 88 years old. None of us ever had trouble with cold or flu. Mom is still in good health, no fist full of meds daily. Brother's dog has a serious sweet tooth. Even wrapped, he new which presents had chocolates, and made a try for them, every chase he got. Not as fast as he use to be...
26-12-2021 17:58
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine
27-12-2021 16:55
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Our Christmas was in the upper 70s F.

Ours was in the lower 40s F.

HarveyH55 wrote:
Not sure what it peaked at, spent most of the day with family. Unmasked... I was the only one unvaccinated.

I spent it with a few family members who I enjoy being around. We are all unmasked and unvaccinated.

HarveyH55 wrote:
Guess it's on me, if anyone catches the 'sniffles'.

According to the installed White House occupant, people like you and I are going to be filling up hospitals and dead. Yet, I'm not in a hospital and haven't even been slightly sick for numerous years, let alone dead. I guess ol' Joe was lying and fear mongering again.

HarveyH55 wrote:
They knew I wasn't vaccinated, and not likely to join the club. Still felt a little uncomfortable, since Omicron is evasive, and mom is 88 years old. None of us ever had trouble with cold or flu. Mom is still in good health, no fist full of meds daily. Brother's dog has a serious sweet tooth. Even wrapped, he new which presents had chocolates, and made a try for them, every chase he got. Not as fast as he use to be...

A majority of the family members who I interact with are adamantly against the jabs for one reason or another (or else simply see no use for them) and will not get them. A number of them have gotten the jabs for convenience, to keep a job, or other reasons. None of us are grumpy at each other about the jab choices that we've made.
27-12-2021 17:43
(5197)
I seldom catch a cold. Never had a bad one, that kept me in bed. I'll leave up to God, and take the natural immunity. 5-10 days of the 'sniffles' isn't a deadly threat. There is a potential risk for any medicine. Even the annual flu shots have list of potential problems. Won't know, until it's in your arm, and can't be removed... The covid vaccine facilitated Omicron becoming the dominant strain worldwide, in less than 60 days. So much for ending the pandemic through vaccination... A vax card, is now a License to Spread.
27-12-2021 18:42
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21596)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I seldom catch a cold. Never had a bad one, that kept me in bed. I'll leave up to God, and take the natural immunity. 5-10 days of the 'sniffles' isn't a deadly threat. There is a potential risk for any medicine. Even the annual flu shots have list of potential problems. Won't know, until it's in your arm, and can't be removed... The covid vaccine facilitated Omicron becoming the dominant strain worldwide, in less than 60 days. So much for ending the pandemic through vaccination... A vax card, is now a License to Spread.

There is no such thing as an 'Omicron' variant of covid19. You can't have a variant of a variant.

The 'pandemic' will not end until people stand up to these oppressive governments.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
27-12-2021 23:58
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
Could you explain yourself regarding your idea that "it is not possible to have a variant of a variant"
28-12-2021 01:41
(5197)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Could you explain yourself regarding your idea that "it is not possible to have a variant of a variant"

It's the semantics. He wants to debate/argue. Variants, are mutations of a virus. But that isn't precisely correct, since a variant isn't just a few changes. Most mutations are fatal, in that they aren't beneficial, and get replicated/passed to other hosts. Variants are the ones that continue to spread. It's also like genealogy of the virus. The variants are similar and related to the same strain. I suppose the issue is that each variant should be called a new strain, ignoring the genealogy aspect. Or maybe all variants/mutations are still just a single strain. Who knows, plenty to nitpick.

I mostly adjust my vocabulary, and try to focus on what the speaker means, rather than whether words are used correctly. Probably because I work with people who learned English as a second language. There is also some cultural variations. I'm not looking for arguments or debates, just trying to follow along, and gain some understanding of what's being communicated. It's all covid-19, but the virus gains new characteristics with each mutation that survives and replicates. Usually something subtle, and of no actual consequence. Makes for great fear mongering media though.
28-12-2021 01:49
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14404)
keepit wrote:itn, Could you explain yourself regarding your idea that "it is not possible to have a variant of a variant"

Don't mind if I step in. Replace the word "variant" with "brother."

Let's say you are talking with a dude who is your brother. Then your brother has to go talk to his brother who is not you. Guess what. That brother of your brother is just your brother, not the brother of your brother.

A variant of a COVID variant is just a COVID variant. There is no such thing as a variant of a variant that is anything more than just a variant.
Attached image:

28-12-2021 19:05
(21596)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

It's the semantics. He wants to debate/argue. Variants, are mutations of a virus. But that isn't precisely correct, since a variant isn't just a few changes. Most mutations are fatal, in that they aren't beneficial, and get replicated/passed to other hosts. Variants are the ones that continue to spread. It's also like genealogy of the virus. The variants are similar and related to the same strain. I suppose the issue is that each variant should be called a new strain, ignoring the genealogy aspect. Or maybe all variants/mutations are still just a single strain. Who knows, plenty to nitpick.

I mostly adjust my vocabulary, and try to focus on what the speaker means, rather than whether words are used correctly. Probably because I work with people who learned English as a second language. There is also some cultural variations. I'm not looking for arguments or debates, just trying to follow along, and gain some understanding of what's being communicated. It's all covid-19, but the virus gains new characteristics with each mutation that survives and replicates. Usually something subtle, and of no actual consequence. Makes for great fear mongering media though.

No, it is not a semantics argument I am making. It is a semantics argument Democrats are making.

Covid19 is a variant of the Covid/SARS series of viruses. There is only one of them. There aren't any 'mutations' of covid19 that are still covid19. That is not possible.

There is no 'Delta' variant of covid19. There is no 'Omicron' variant of covid19. It is just covid19. There is no variant of this variant. It is not possible to have a variant of a variant.

Viruses themselves cannot mutate. They are not alive. They cannot reproduce. The only way they can copy themselves is by using a host. A host may cause a mutation, but the virus itself has no way to do it. Any such mutation will probably be destroyed by antibodies (if the mutation is close enough) or by white blood cells. A few may escape to the outside world, there, it can no longer change.

Anything different from covid19 is a completely different virus, with it's own characteristics. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with covid19.

It could be a new variant of the Covid/SARS series of viruses.
It could be the beginning of a completely different series of viruses.
It could be anything.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 28-12-2021 19:10
28-12-2021 19:06
(21596)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote:itn, Could you explain yourself regarding your idea that "it is not possible to have a variant of a variant"

Don't mind if I step in. Replace the word "variant" with "brother."

Let's say you are talking with a dude who is your brother. Then your brother has to go talk to his brother who is not you. Guess what. That brother of your brother is just your brother, not the brother of your brother.

A variant of a COVID variant is just a COVID variant. There is no such thing as a variant of a variant that is anything more than just a variant.

Well put, even including pictures for the illiterate.

The Parrot Killer

28-12-2021 19:42
(21596)
Human beings are not susceptible to most viruses, and most viruses don't even cause anything harmful to the host (other than hijacking a few cells). A hijacked cell may and probably will still function normally, at least until a white blood cell comes along and recognizes the difference.

When a normal cell copies itself, it makes a copy of the DNA within it. That copy mechanism actually has error correcting capability built within it. It is quite good. The only damage is loss of a few telomeres, essentially dummy (no operation, or NOP) pieces of code. A cell can actually replace these as part of its internal housekeeping.

A virus uses RNA to store it's coding. It has little to no error correction capability when copied. When the copy process creates such a 'typo', you have a completely new virus. Bits may be missing, may be added, or a bit may be just modified. Such viruses such as those in the influenza series or the rhinovirus series are relatively simple, and such mutations are common, creating a completely new virus probably in that series. This is why there are thousands of variants in each series. It is not possible to build a vaccine for all of them. In addition, any such mutation may create a completely new series. It may even be possible the mutation can no longer make use of human cells to replicate.

A virus from the Covid/SARS series is different. Despite being RNA, it's coding DOES have an error correction method. It's not as good as DNA, but it also keeps the virus from mutating. If a mutation does occur, it may escape to the outside world, but again, is it another variant of the Covid/SARS series, or something else completely different? Will the mutation have the same error correction capability of the original virus?

That said...

The so-called Delta virus appeared in the news in mid-November of 2020, during the news cycle of the week before Thanksgiving. It appeared with a huge splash across the headlines and was suddenly everywhere at once. It was accompanied by articles suggesting that it would be unsafe to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas with family. It was then the predominant virus through the year, used to keep the fear mongering going.

The so-called Omicron virus appeared in the news in mid-November of 2021, during the news cycle of the week before Thanksgiving. It appeared with a huge splash across the headlines and was suddenly everywhere at once. It was accompanied by articles suggesting that it would be unsafe to celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas with family. It will probably be used throughout 2022 to keep the fear mongering going.

Mutations don't happen on a clock. They don't appear everywhere at once. No virus travels at supersonic speeds. Remember the time of announcement of a new virus and given a point of origin to becoming a 'major concern infecting thousands' in a nation on the other side of the world was the length of a single weekly news cycle!
28-12-2021 21:30
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

I have an entry in my Cult Of The Mask almanac on Politiplex regarding the "mutations" / "variants".

MUTATION / VARIANT: noun
According to the Cult of the Mask, mutation (aka "variant") is believed to be an ability possessed by COVID-19 whereby he can super boost his infection ability (making it exponentially more contagious and lethal than before) via altering his identity while simultaneously retaining his identity.

This means that the fabled "variants" of COVID-19 are being considered as "variants of a variant" (since COVID-19 is ALREADY a variant of the SARS-CoV series of viruses), and it is not logically possible for "Delta variant" or "Omicron variant" to be COVID-19 yet be something other than COVID-19. These beliefs, like many other Cult of the Mask beliefs, fall under Settled Science.

To put what's happening politically into different words, let me ask you which of these two 'media reporting' options comes off as "more dire and scarier sounding":

[1] COVID-19 is nothing more in severity than a flu virus is. It has spread through the population and now most everyone has some sort of immunity to it (whether via natural exposure or via vaccination) and it is now just another insignificant part of the viral landscape (as are common colds, flus, and etc)... The "COVID-19 pandemic" is over, after causing [X cases] and [X deaths], and now a couple of other SARS-CoV series variants are spreading around the world, with the latest and soon-to-be most prevalent one (Omicron) killing essentially nobody and presenting itself as a common cold.

[2] COVID-19 is now on its second year (and counting) of ravaging the world's population, and has mutated several times now (Alpha variant, Beta variant, Delta variant, Omicron variant, ... ...) all because science-denying anti-vaxxer morons refuse to get vaccinated. New COVID-19 cases continue to spike, and total COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to climb (now up to 53M and 818K, respectively).

There is a precise reason why Delta and Omicron are purposely reported as BEING covid-19 rather than being SOMETHING OTHER THAN covid-19.
Edited on 28-12-2021 22:14
28-12-2021 21:44
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
Your explanation of your thinking about "variants of variants" involves the news media as a reaason.
Doesn't that tell you that you are just talking about semantics and not the biology of viruses?
By the way, there are both rna and dna viruses.
29-12-2021 03:04
(21596)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Your explanation of your thinking about "variants of variants" involves the news media as a reaason.
Doesn't that tell you that you are just talking about semantics and not the biology of viruses?

It is precisely the semantics in the news media. It has nothing to do with virology. There is no 'biology of viruses'.

Most viruses are RNA.

The Parrot Killer

29-12-2021 03:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

It is precisely the semantics in the news media. It has nothing to do with virology. There is no 'biology of viruses'.

Most viruses are RNA.

Have you ever considered that if the body fought off the common cold (RNA) that it would be fighting itself because DNA is more complex? I mean how to fight off 2y + 2x = when you're defending yourself against (2xy)(2xx) = ?
Edited on 29-12-2021 03:13
29-12-2021 03:28
(5197)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

Most viruses are RNA.

Have you ever considered that if the body fought off the common cold (RNA) that it would be fighting itself because DNA is more complex? I mean how to fight off 2y + 2x = when you're defending yourself against (2xy)(2xx) = ?

Bacteria have DNA, and we fight off those infections just as well...
29-12-2021 03:34
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

Most viruses are RNA.

So you're saying the more specialized something is, the easier it is to deal with?

As for Christmas; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOFIsNnDOI
Edited on 29-12-2021 03:38
29-12-2021 07:23
(5197)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

Most viruses are RNA.

So you're saying the more specialized something is, the easier it is to deal with?

As for Christmas; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOFIsNnDOI

You're "special", and we deal with you, just like anyone else...
29-12-2021 20:24
(21596)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
itn,

Most viruses are RNA.

Indeed. Antibiotics are more available than antiviral drugs as well.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Christmas:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Ho Ho Ho, did everyone send in their Christmas list? A few ground rules though228-12-2023 19:16
Merry Christmas, rejoice for a child is born to guide the stringing of Chinese made sweatshop lights025-12-2022 14:35
Tornados 2 Weeks Before Christmas?7421-12-2021 23:38
Count Dracula, Christmas, Batman and global warming1929-12-2019 21:42
It's Going to Be the Warmest Christmas at the North Pole Ever628-12-2016 18:53
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact