Remember me
▼ Content

Can CO2 be temporarily stored if necessary?

Can CO2 be temporarily stored if necessary?10-10-2020 19:23
AMinterx
☆☆☆☆☆
(7)
It seems to me as though it is easier to capture CO2 than permanently store it underground.

If carbon capture began in a region where there was nothing in place to allow for its permanent storage then would it be possible to temporarily store it until permanent storage is possible?

At least then it wouldn't be necessary to wait until the infrastructure for permanent storage is in place before we can start capturing CO2 on a large scale.

P.S. Climate change deniers need not reply.
Edited on 10-10-2020 19:59
11-10-2020 00:16
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Sure, trees store CO2 for decades, even centuries... Why waste energy on capturing CO2, which only makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere, when nature can do it for free? We could also plant food baring trees, and store CO2 in our stomachs, though might increase methane production. CO2 isn't really evenly distributed around the planet, like a blanket, in a Bill Nye video. Always looking at 'averages', kind of glosses over what's really going on with the planet...
11-10-2020 01:39
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
AMinterx wrote:
It seems to me as though it is easier to capture CO2 than permanently store it underground.

If carbon capture began in a region where there was nothing in place to allow for its permanent storage then would it be possible to temporarily store it until permanent storage is possible?

At least then it wouldn't be necessary to wait until the infrastructure for permanent storage is in place before we can start capturing CO2 on a large scale.

Sure, we could permanently store food too....although if we deprived the Earth of CO2 there wouldn't be much to food to store. You do know greenhouses supplement CO2 by quadruple the current atmospheric content?

Gosh, it doesn't make much sense to store food or CO2.

Oh shit, I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to reply. My bad.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 11-10-2020 01:41
11-10-2020 02:55
AMinterx
☆☆☆☆☆
(7)
For ****'s sake...

See ya, guys!
11-10-2020 03:33
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I am a climate change querier so I can play.What is the process for removing CO2 from the air and are you related to the person that thinks we should send a big umbrella in to space to shade us from the sun
RE: CO2 sensor11-10-2020 05:43
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
[img][/img]I am having trouble posting the photo but todays CO2 reading is 495ppm.It is a cool spring day with a gentle breeze.At this concentration are we not supposed to be on fire

duncan61
Edited on 11-10-2020 05:44
11-10-2020 17:58
(5196)
duncan61 wrote:
[img][/img]I am having trouble posting the photo but todays CO2 reading is 495ppm.It is a cool spring day with a gentle breeze.At this concentration are we not supposed to be on fire

Is there anything left to burn, after last year's wildfires? Must be, California is much smaller, and they burn every year...

Well, CO2 should build up some over the Fall/Winter seasons, as there is less plant growth. Doesn't really apply in Florida, plant growth slows down some for a couple months, but doesn't really stop, like up north. As the spring greening begins, the CO2 levels should start to drop, at an 'alarming' rate...

Too bad they couldn't incorporate a CO2 sensor into a cell phone, maybe a separate device, connected with BlueTooth. If we could get a lot of people, taking readings, that include time, data, latitude, longitude, altitude (all provided by GPS). An app could send the data over the internet, to a website, that could parse and plot the readings on a world map, in almost real-time. More of a University level project.

I'm fine with CO2 getting up to 1200-1500 ppm. I think it would be relatively safe, for most everyone, and everything. Not hard to adapt to, minimal health issue, for those with difficulties (covid-19). I like a warmer climate, not looking forward, the freezing cold winter months, which is only 2-3 months away. Really brutal last year, dropped down below 40 F a few times. Almost got down to actual freezing once. Just kidding, of course. We seldom get frost or freezing, in Florida, but it can get a little chilly, some time for almost a whole week.

CO2 isn't evenly distributed around the world. Can't see it, like clouds in the sky, but suspect it moves in a similar fashion. Kind of why I'd like to see a lot of people, with meters, and mapping the readings online. The climate change guys like to promote the continuous layer model, like a blanket. Plant starve and die at 150 ppm, but they can go a few days without a meal, and get by for a while, on less. Don't think we have to worry about CO2 droughts, lasting months, that would kill off plants. But, we should have a healthy buffer. 400-600, would be decent. Talk of carbon capture/sequester is disturbing, since we just have a reasonable level to begin with.
11-10-2020 20:22
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
AMinterx wrote:

It is not necessary to capture CO2 to protect the Earth. CO2 has absolutely no capability of warming the Earth.

We do, however, extract CO2 out of the atmosphere to bottle it. Typically this gas is also used industrially for making soda, certain welding applications, or for high school science demonstrations of cold temperatures.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-10-2020 20:23
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Sure, trees store CO2 for decades, even centuries... Why waste energy on capturing CO2, which only makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere, when nature can do it for free? We could also plant food baring trees, and store CO2 in our stomachs, though might increase methane production. CO2 isn't really evenly distributed around the planet, like a blanket, in a Bill Nye video. Always looking at 'averages', kind of glosses over what's really going on with the planet...

Trees do not store CO2. No plant stores CO2. It does not act like a blanket at all. It actually conducts thermal energy better than most any other gas in the atmosphere. It cannot block light.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-10-2020 20:24
(21588)
AMinterx wrote:
For ****'s sake...

See ya, guys!

See ya. Guess you couldn't handle being outside the kiddie pool.

The Parrot Killer

12-10-2020 01:40
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Trees do not store CO2. No plant stores CO2. It does not act like a blanket at all. It actually conducts thermal energy better than most any other gas in the atmosphere. It cannot block light.

Do plants use CO2 to do photosynthesis and expel the O2?

duncan61
12-10-2020 07:49
(21588)
duncan61 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Do plants use CO2 to do photosynthesis and expel the O2?

Plants use CO2 and water to produce carbohydrates (otherwise known as food). This is a higher energy molecule, so energy has to taken from somewhere for this reaction. Plants use the energy from the Sun (or grow lights). This chemical reaction also releases oxygen.

Of course, plants also use nitrates, potassium, and a few other chemicals to make things like leaves, flowers, and fruit, but the basic reaction is CO2 + H2O + Sun -> CH2O(n) + O2.

This is chemical energy stored as potential energy. You can convert it to thermal energy by eating it or burning it. It's a way to convert electromagnetic energy into potential energy stored chemically, then converting that to thermal energy or mechanical energy...what we get out of eating the food.

The Parrot Killer

13-10-2020 16:07
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
AMinterx wrote:
For ****'s sake...

See ya, guys!

Boo hoo, people aren't blindly agreeing with me... people aren't blindly buying my faith... wahhhhhhhhh

Grow up...
14-10-2020 06:41
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Nice one gfm
14-10-2020 16:27
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Thank you.
16-10-2020 07:22
SanieZehra
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Hi everyone,
How are you all? I work in a company called catalyst enterprises and they have invented a solution to excessive C02. I am more than happy to explain it if anyone would like to know.
16-10-2020 10:14
(5196)
SanieZehra wrote:
Hi everyone,
How are you all? I work in a company called catalyst enterprises and they have invented a solution to excessive C02. I am more than happy to explain it if anyone would like to know.

I find it hard to imagine our world have excessive CO2, since we are at only about half the ideal level for plant growth. I am curious about new technologies, and how they plan to collect and store a trace gas. Might be interesting, if not too expensive, when I start brewing beer. My current plan, is to just vent outdoors. But, that sort of concerns me, since a constant, consistent temperature is important. Little concerned about outside contaminants. Removing dangers CO2, without a lot of duct work, filters to change frequently, energy wasted on climate control, could be an appealing option.

Indoors, I can see the value, and use. But for outdoors, climate change, seems impractical. CO2 is a trace gas, 0.04% of the atmosphere. Seems like you would need to move a lot of air, to capture an significant quantity. More likely to collect a lot of particulates, which would require frequent cleaning.
16-10-2020 11:58
(21588)
SanieZehra wrote:
Hi everyone,

Oxygen is represented by an 'O', not a zero '0'.

There is no excessive CO2 in the atmosphere.

The Parrot Killer

16-10-2020 16:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
SanieZehra wrote:Hi everyone,

Sure, explain it. Where and when would it be used? It sounds like a release valve for a CO2 tank. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about it.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-10-2020 18:51
(5196)
IBdaMann wrote:

Sure, explain it. Where and when would it be used? It sounds like a release valve for a CO2 tank. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about it.

What to do, after catching a few of those elusive molecules... Seems sort of risky just compressing them in tanks. At work, a CO2 tank fell off a pallet once, back when we use to fill them for convenience store soda fountains. The valve broke of, and that take took off like a rocket across the warehouse floor, slammed into a wall, and spun around for a will. Pretty cool. Guess it could have been a little dangerous, but then it wouldn't be fun to watch. Guess they could convert the CO2 into crude oil, and pump it back into the ground, for future generations to pump back out and burn, when all those solar panels and windmills fail. Maybe they could just extract the carbon, and make diamonds. Lots of industrial uses, women seem to like them, and their 'forever'. No way anybody will ever release the 'evil' CO2 on this planet again. Of course, plant life might die off, but least the vegan's will be first to starve...
16-10-2020 21:12
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

What to do, after catching a few of those elusive molecules... Seems sort of risky just compressing them in tanks. At work, a CO2 tank fell off a pallet once, back when we use to fill them for convenience store soda fountains. The valve broke of, and that take took off like a rocket across the warehouse floor, slammed into a wall, and spun around for a will. Pretty cool. Guess it could have been a little dangerous, but then it wouldn't be fun to watch. Guess they could convert the CO2 into crude oil, and pump it back into the ground, for future generations to pump back out and burn, when all those solar panels and windmills fail. Maybe they could just extract the carbon, and make diamonds. Lots of industrial uses, women seem to like them, and their 'forever'. No way anybody will ever release the 'evil' CO2 on this planet again. Of course, plant life might die off, but least the vegan's will be first to starve...

Glad no one was hurt from that broken CO2 bottle! Those things can punch a hole right through a concrete wall when they take off like that!

Capturing CO2 is easy. Any gas liquefaction plant extracts this gas as the first stage of liquefaction. It is not only bottled and sold (often to welders and restaurants for their soda machines), it is also used a coolant for the next stage of liquefaction. These places make dry ice too (solid CO2) for use when making that Halloween Haunted Punch at parties and such. Our local grocery store specially carries an extra supply during October.

All those sodas, Halloween punch, beer, bread and buns, all of it is putting CO2 into the atmosphere. Of course, we just extract it out again...

Funny how the temperature doesn't get warmer when I open a cold soda.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-10-2020 21:14

Join the debate Can CO2 be temporarily stored if necessary?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
Second case of top-secret Biden documents found stored at Staples near the printer012-01-2023 01:46
CO2 Is Helping the Ozone Layer to Recover113-08-2022 05:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact