Remember me
▼ Content

Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?



Page 2 of 2<12
30-01-2023 01:40
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21898)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
kent5915 wrote:All gases absorb thermal radiation. It is part of a misguided science that says otherwise.

This is one thing that distinguishes this site from the vast bulk of others. We point out this error regularly. Well done.

kent5915 wrote:If you look at one of those horrible greenhouse gas experiments where they shine a light with a strong infrared component on two bottles, one filled with CO2 and the other filled with air. You will see the bottle filled with CO2 heat up faster than the bottle with air. and fools then claim that this proves the greenhouse gas effect.

On this site, we often refer to that little deception as "the standard parlor trick." It is not an experiment. It is a demonstration, and it simply demonstrates that CO2 has a higher absorptivity and radiativity (Kirchhoff's Law) of infrared wavelengths than oxygen or nitrogen.

Otherwise, you'll notice that the standard parlor trick is always performed in a darkened basement where no sunlight can get in and mess up the results. You'll wonder why they claim that the demonstration shows "greenhouse effect" when they never perform the demonstration outdoors in direct sunlight and normal atmospheric conditions.

.

...
1d.

...
40a.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-01-2023 02:09
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21898)
kent5915 wrote:
into the night stated
Absorbing light does not make a 'thermal blanket'.
CO2 has better thermal conductivity then pretty any gas in the atmosphere.

You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy.
You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Atmosphere does trap heat.

It is not possible to trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
If it did not then our Earth's temperatures would like the moon's - too hot for life on the bright side of the moon and too cold for life on the dark side

Heat has no temperature. The Moon is the same distance from the Sun and is therefore similar temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
Our atmospheric temperatures are not like the moons

Heat has no temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
This is because our atmosphere traps the heat radiating from Earth's surface plus the heat generated by mankind's use of energy

You cannot trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
Does it trap all such heat. No but it traps enough to make a difference - e.g. keep us warm at night (sort of thing) - without this trapping our temperatures would start to approach temperature nearer absolute zero than we could bear

You cannot trap heat. Heat has no temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
think of the nighttime sky - cloudy nights tend to be warmer than clear nights because the clouds increase the atmosphere's ability to trap heat

Clouds cannot trap heat. It is not possible to trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
The reason we do not boil in the daylight, is our upper atmosphere absorbs most of our Sun's incident infrared radiation. This explains why the thermosphere is so darn hot. Our thermosphere is dilute (gases and charged particles) and is hundreds of km thick. In here infrared energy from our sun is absorbed and scattered

Absorption of a photon DESTROYS that photon. It no longer exists. You can't scatter what no longer exists.
kent5915 wrote:
Below the thermosphere is the very cold mesosphere - cold cuz most of our sun's infrared has been absorbed

Infrared light reaches the surface of Earth.
kent5915 wrote:
Below the mesosphere is the stratosphere - bit warmer than mesosphere

And below that is where we hang, the troposphere - the place where much/some of the energy radiating from Earth's surface and generated by man is held

You cannot trap thermal energy either. There is always heat.
kent5915 wrote:
Understand that photons energy/momentum can be absorbed by matter.

This DESTROYS the photon. It no longer exists. Not all photons are equal. Now you are ignoring Planck's law.
kent5915 wrote:
Think of a solar sail being powered to fly through outer space by trapping the momentum of photons (from our Sun or from a laser pointed at them)

You cannot trap the momentum of a photon.
kent5915 wrote:
In order for a photon's energy/momentum to absorbed by a gas molecule the photon has to hit the molecule/atom.

So there is a scattering cross section based upon the size of the gas molecule and the size of the photon,

Nope. No scattering. The photon is DESTROYED. You cannot scatter what does not exist.
kent5915 wrote:
We know that larger gas molecules do absorb more photons as demonstrated by those greenhouse gas experiments where triatomic CO2 molecules heat up faster than air [predominately (90%) diatomic N2 and O2]. Hence confirms scattering cross section of gas molecules play a role

Nope. Photons don't care the size of the molecule or atom to be absorbed. No atom or molecule will absorb a photon that has less energy than the molecule or atom already has.
kent5915 wrote:
What about scattering cross-sections of photons. The size of photons is still up for debate but one can assume that the longer the photon's wavelength, the bigger its scattering cross section

Wavelength is not absorption or scattering.
kent5915 wrote:
So one can assume that longer wavelength photons (generally infrared) will be absorbed more readily than shorter wavelength

Quite the opposite. No atom or molecule will absorb a photon that has less energy than the atom or molecule already has.
kent5915 wrote:
What about visible light. it is said that 70% of our Sun's visible light makes it through our atmosphere to Earth's surface. Of this a percentage is reflected as color while the rest is absorbed becoming heat.

Light is not heat.
Visible light does not convert to thermal energy when it is absorbed.
kent5915 wrote:
This heat is eventually radiated

Heat has no point location. It doesn't radiate.
kent5915 wrote:
as longer wavelength blackbody (whose peak is in the infrared). and it is this radiated heat that s absorbed by our atmosphere, thus keeping us from freezing at night. lucky us

Infrared light emitted by the surface cools that surface. Yes... a warmer object can heat a colder one by radiance (not radiation).
kent5915 wrote:
Unfortunately the man on moon has no such luck. When it is dark on the moon he freezes his nuts off and turns blue

And when it is light on the moon he roasts alive and his nuts burn.

No,
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-01-2023 04:52
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5734)
Into the Night wrote:
kent5915 wrote:
into the night stated
Absorbing light does not make a 'thermal blanket'.
CO2 has better thermal conductivity then pretty any gas in the atmosphere.

You cannot trap heat.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy.
You are ignoring the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Atmosphere does trap heat.

It is not possible to trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
If it did not then our Earth's temperatures would like the moon's - too hot for life on the bright side of the moon and too cold for life on the dark side

Heat has no temperature. The Moon is the same distance from the Sun and is therefore similar temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
Our atmospheric temperatures are not like the moons

Heat has no temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
This is because our atmosphere traps the heat radiating from Earth's surface plus the heat generated by mankind's use of energy

You cannot trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
Does it trap all such heat. No but it traps enough to make a difference - e.g. keep us warm at night (sort of thing) - without this trapping our temperatures would start to approach temperature nearer absolute zero than we could bear

You cannot trap heat. Heat has no temperature.
kent5915 wrote:
think of the nighttime sky - cloudy nights tend to be warmer than clear nights because the clouds increase the atmosphere's ability to trap heat

Clouds cannot trap heat. It is not possible to trap heat.
kent5915 wrote:
The reason we do not boil in the daylight, is our upper atmosphere absorbs most of our Sun's incident infrared radiation. This explains why the thermosphere is so darn hot. Our thermosphere is dilute (gases and charged particles) and is hundreds of km thick. In here infrared energy from our sun is absorbed and scattered

Absorption of a photon DESTROYS that photon. It no longer exists. You can't scatter what no longer exists.
kent5915 wrote:
Below the thermosphere is the very cold mesosphere - cold cuz most of our sun's infrared has been absorbed

Infrared light reaches the surface of Earth.
kent5915 wrote:
Below the mesosphere is the stratosphere - bit warmer than mesosphere

And below that is where we hang, the troposphere - the place where much/some of the energy radiating from Earth's surface and generated by man is held

You cannot trap thermal energy either. There is always heat.
kent5915 wrote:
Understand that photons energy/momentum can be absorbed by matter.

This DESTROYS the photon. It no longer exists. Not all photons are equal. Now you are ignoring Planck's law.
kent5915 wrote:
Think of a solar sail being powered to fly through outer space by trapping the momentum of photons (from our Sun or from a laser pointed at them)

You cannot trap the momentum of a photon.
kent5915 wrote:
In order for a photon's energy/momentum to absorbed by a gas molecule the photon has to hit the molecule/atom.

So there is a scattering cross section based upon the size of the gas molecule and the size of the photon,

Nope. No scattering. The photon is DESTROYED. You cannot scatter what does not exist.
kent5915 wrote:
We know that larger gas molecules do absorb more photons as demonstrated by those greenhouse gas experiments where triatomic CO2 molecules heat up faster than air [predominately (90%) diatomic N2 and O2]. Hence confirms scattering cross section of gas molecules play a role

Nope. Photons don't care the size of the molecule or atom to be absorbed. No atom or molecule will absorb a photon that has less energy than the molecule or atom already has.
kent5915 wrote:
What about scattering cross-sections of photons. The size of photons is still up for debate but one can assume that the longer the photon's wavelength, the bigger its scattering cross section

Wavelength is not absorption or scattering.
kent5915 wrote:
So one can assume that longer wavelength photons (generally infrared) will be absorbed more readily than shorter wavelength

Quite the opposite. No atom or molecule will absorb a photon that has less energy than the atom or molecule already has.
kent5915 wrote:
What about visible light. it is said that 70% of our Sun's visible light makes it through our atmosphere to Earth's surface. Of this a percentage is reflected as color while the rest is absorbed becoming heat.

Light is not heat.
Visible light does not convert to thermal energy when it is absorbed.
kent5915 wrote:
This heat is eventually radiated

Heat has no point location. It doesn't radiate.
kent5915 wrote:
as longer wavelength blackbody (whose peak is in the infrared). and it is this radiated heat that s absorbed by our atmosphere, thus keeping us from freezing at night. lucky us

Infrared light emitted by the surface cools that surface. Yes... a warmer object can heat a colder one by radiance (not radiation).
kent5915 wrote:
Unfortunately the man on moon has no such luck. When it is dark on the moon he freezes his nuts off and turns blue

And when it is light on the moon he roasts alive and his nuts burn.

No,
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.


Says the fool who quotes everything in order to demonstrate their lack of intellect. See kid nothing here matters in any way, not that you will ever see this.

Silly


IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?


It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.


Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
30-01-2023 05:45
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21898)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-01-2023 10:06
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14514)
kent5915 wrote:Our Atmosphere does trap heat. If it did not then our Earth's temperatures would like the moon's - too hot for life on the bright side of the moon and too cold for life on the dark side

Your misunderstanding of heat and thermal energy will give you no end of grief. You open yourself up to three egregious problems that you cannot resolve:

1. Your claim that the atmosphere somehow 'traps' heat implies that it strictly increases temperature. This requires you to deny the daytime side of the moon which has no atmosphere yet is much hotter than the daytime side of the earth which has an atmosphere that is supposedly "trapping heat".

2. Your model incorrectly treats the atmosphere as something separate from the earth that is heating the earth, not as part of the earth that simply transfers thermal energy better than the solid lithosphere and simply brings daytime and nighttime temperatures closer together while keeping the average temperature the same. Your model erroneously treats the atmosphere as a second heat source and would serve as nothing more than a source of math errors.

3. You have not shown that there is any difference between the average temperatures of the earth and moon. You can't very well embellish upon differences that you have not established.... and you cannot establish them.
30-01-2023 19:51
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5734)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.


What is your point?


IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?


It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.


Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
31-01-2023 11:05
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21898)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.

...
40a.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
01-02-2023 13:46
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5734)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.

...
40a.


Very well-articulated. I am guessing that your writing skills are just about on par with Joe Xiden's.


IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?


It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.


Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
01-02-2023 20:55
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21898)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.

...
40a.

...
40a.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-02-2023 01:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5734)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
...
you cannot trap heat.
Heat has no temperature.
Heat has no point location.
Light is not heat.
Not all photons are equal.
You cannot heat a warmer object with a colder one.
You cannot trap light.
You cannot trap thermal energy. There is always heat.
You cannot create energy out of nothing.

...
1a.

...
40a.

...
40a.


LOL I agree fully.


IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?


It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.


Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
Page 2 of 2<12





Join the debate Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Van Allen radiation belts and the Tropopause506-01-2024 23:46
Man's energy use actually does explain climate change1809-02-2023 03:27
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
NET THERMAL RADIATION : You in a room as a reference.62230-01-2023 04:40
thermal radiation and EM radiation901-03-2020 23:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact