Page 1 of 3123>
XKCD earth temperarture;13-09-2016 00:58
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
13-09-2016 02:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
The chart gets high marks for aesthetics.

It looks completely fabricated.

There's a lot wrong with it in principle as well.

Beautiful color selection, though.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-09-2016 02:32
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Hope it didn't offend you go on, spend all night writing a screed nobody is going to read on what exactly you think Is wrong with it.
Edited on 13-09-2016 02:51
13-09-2016 05:07
(14373)
spot wrote:
Hope it didn't offend you go on, spend all night writing a screed nobody is going to read on what exactly you think Is wrong with it.

I said that I liked the color scheme.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-09-2016 11:54
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Are you bothering with the usual thing in science where you link to the data you are using or just doing the typical alarmist fiction thing?
Edited on 13-09-2016 11:54
13-09-2016 12:35
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Nope it's based on common knowledge so I think it's incorrect to call it fiction, sorry you find it alarming though.
13-09-2016 13:19
(14373)
spot wrote:
Nope it's based on common knowledge so I think it's incorrect to call it fiction, sorry you find it alarming though.

Like I said, totally fabricated.

Nice color scheme.

13-09-2016 14:08
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Your a self taught super-genius so I can't argue with your logic but the colour scheme is unremarkable in my opinion, always have to have the last word haven't you?
13-09-2016 14:20
(14373)
spot wrote:Your a self taught super-genius so I can't argue with your logic but the colour scheme is unremarkable in my opinion,

The "super-genius" part was just a fortunate gift at birth. All I really did with it was pay attention through life and apply what I had learned.

As a result I don't get conned into stupid religions that claim to be science.

spot wrote:... always have to have the last word haven't you?

Not at all. I always ensure the people of my signature block (below) get the final word, each and every time.

13-09-2016 14:25
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
When I use that phrase I'm being sarcastic.
13-09-2016 16:56
(14373)
spot wrote:When I use that phrase I'm being sarcastic.

You don't say. Imagine how it would be if you were actually effective!

So while we're on the topic, what do you consider an acceptable margin of error for an average global temperature?

13-09-2016 17:18
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
How would I know what was acceptable or not I'm not clever like you I haven't deduced that long held concepts In atmospheric science are disproved by the laws of thermodynamics.
13-09-2016 17:47
(14373)
spot wrote: How would I know what was acceptable or not I'm not clever like you

Forgiven.

spot wrote:I haven't deduced that long held concepts In atmospheric science are disproved by the laws of thermodynamics.

Yes, most long-held misconceptions are destroyed by science.

Did you ever doubt the laws of thermodynamics?

13-09-2016 18:07
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
No I know perfectly well changes in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere can alter temperature. And the laws of thermodynamics were well understood by the people that figured that out.
13-09-2016 20:44
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
spot wrote:

I have never heard of the temperature record of previous millenia being common knowledge before.

I certainly don't have such knowledge lodged in the back of my head and would question anybody who did.
13-09-2016 20:55
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Well we covered it in secondary school. Its commonly known by informed people.
13-09-2016 21:27
(14373)
spot wrote: No I know perfectly well changes in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere can alter temperature.

Could you be a little clearer? Are you saying that you believe that the atmospheric composition is a factor in a body's/planet's average temperature?

spot wrote: And the laws of thermodynamics were well understood by the people that figured that out.

There was never any violation of physics that was "figured out."

How do you believe that a body, that has a constant energy source, will increase in temperature by increasing its amount of "greenhouse gas"?

13-09-2016 21:29
(14373)
spot wrote: Well we covered it in secondary school. Its commonly known by informed people.

Great, so you are trying to hijack the word "informed" to mean "mistaken."

14-09-2016 00:20
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
IBdaMann wrote:
spot wrote: No I know perfectly well changes in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere can alter temperature.

Could you be a little clearer? Are you saying that you believe that the atmospheric composition is a factor in a body's/planet's average temperature?

spot wrote: And the laws of thermodynamics were well understood by the people that figured that out.

There was never any violation of physics that was "figured out."

How do you believe that a body, that has a constant energy source, will increase in temperature by increasing its amount of "greenhouse gas"?

Of course I'm saying that atmospheric composition is a factor in a planets temperature you troll.

Tell me is being a pompous ,obtuse, deluded monomanic a persona or the real you?
14-09-2016 00:23
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Dude, calm down. It's just one idiot. There are tens thousands just like him, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Also, IBdaMann, if it has a constant energy source, either it is constantly heating up, or it's somehow losing energy. If that egress of energy is partially obstructed, what happens to the energy?

*1st LoT dance*
14-09-2016 01:22
(14373)
IBdaMann wrote:How do you believe that a body, that has a constant energy source, will increase in temperature by increasing its amount of "greenhouse gas"?

spot wrote:Of course I'm saying that atmospheric composition is a factor in a planets temperature you troll.

Great dodge! I asked you "how" it increases temperature. Stefan-Boltzmann says that's not possible.

14-09-2016 01:27
(14373)
[quote]jwoodward48 wrote:Also, IBdaMann, if it has a constant energy source, either it is constantly heating up, or it's somehow losing energy. If that egress of energy is partially obstructed, what happens to the energy?

It's not possible to reduce the egress (emission) without lowering the temperature.

L e a r n . t h e . s c i e n c e

14-09-2016 07:53
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
y . o . u . * . l . e . a . r . n . * . i . t . * . f . i . r . s . t

The incoming and outgoing radiation have (has?) different wavelength profiles, so one can be blocked by greenhouse gases more than the other. The incoming radiation is not blocked as much as the outgoing, so the outflow of energy is less than the inflow.

So yes, it is entirely possible to reduce emission without reducing temperature. That's because the absorption spectra of greenhouse gases don't follow Planck's Law or the S-B Law - why would they? Those laws concern radiation, black body radiation in fact. A non-black body absorbing light has nothing to do with them.

Also, re: your sig? Unless the average temperature of the Earth is below 0F, the S-B equations don't produce the right temperatures without considering atmosphere.
Edited on 14-09-2016 07:56
14-09-2016 09:42
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
IBdaMann wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:How do you believe that a body, that has a constant energy source, will increase in temperature by increasing its amount of "greenhouse gas"?

spot wrote:Of course I'm saying that atmospheric composition is a factor in a planets temperature you troll.

Great dodge! I asked you "how" it increases temperature. Stefan-Boltzmann says that's not possible.

google not working? Why ask me I'm not a teacher.
14-09-2016 16:13
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
S-B only concerns the emission of radiation via black body radiation from a body. Something getting in the way of that radiation =/= violating S-B. Especially since the Earth does radiate by S-B. Are sunglasses a violation of S-B? They block the radiation from the Sun.
14-09-2016 16:19
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Here's another way of thinking about it:

S-B just says that X Joules of energy will be emitted from the Earth via black body radiation. It doesn't care what happens after that. It could go up. It could hit the Moon. It could hit spacedust. It could hit the Sun. It could go back down. It could go to the side. For all S-B cares, each individual photon could turn into a pink magical talking feline and start singing "O Fortuna". Once the energy has left the surface, S-B is done.

Of course, S-B then applies to the Moon, the spacedust, the Earth with extra energy, and the magic cats. But that's a new object. Your assertion of "S-B says Earth will emit exactly XXX terajoules of energy, and that's exactly how much will leave" makes no sense. If I stick a mirror above Earth, S-B wouldn't care. Less energy would reach space - and that's fine. S-B is perfectly okay with all of this.
Edited on 14-09-2016 16:21
15-09-2016 16:09
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote: S-B only concerns the emission of radiation via black body radiation from a body. Something getting in the way of that radiation =/= violating S-B. Especially since the Earth does radiate by S-B. Are sunglasses a violation of S-B? They block the radiation from the Sun.

The atmosphere is part of the body we call earth. It cannot alter its own absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation.

Also, you certainly like to use the word "block" like there is a quarterback to protect. Could you be any less technical? The word "block" makes your assertions technically incorrect. The only viable response to you is to tell you to learn what is going on ...

... and then to ask you to glance at Stefan-Boltzmann and notice that emission cannot decrease while temperature increases.

15-09-2016 16:29
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
If your logic is correct the sunglasses are part of the earth as well, they are well within the atmosphere.
15-09-2016 17:12
(14373)
spot wrote:If your logic is correct the sunglasses are part of the earth as well, they are well within the atmosphere.

Correct!

15-09-2016 17:19
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
If everything is the same object the everything should have the same temperature then?
15-09-2016 18:06
(14373)
spot wrote:If everything is the same object the everything should have the same temperature then?

No. Everything individually is not the body. Everything collectively is the body. Everything individually is of different temperatures. Everything collectively comprises the overall average temperature value T.

The T of Stefan-Boltzmann is the "average global temperature" of Global Warming fame.

15-09-2016 18:46
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
So this is all about your interpretation of a wording and nothing to do with reality, got it.
15-09-2016 19:25
(14373)
spot wrote:So this is all about your interpretation of a wording and nothing to do with reality, got it.

This is all about clearly specifying reality and eliminating your ability to weasel.

Get it?

15-09-2016 19:32
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Reality doesn't always correspond neatly to our conceptions.
15-09-2016 19:55
(14373)
jwoodward48 wrote:Reality doesn't always correspond neatly to our conceptions.

Weaseling becomes the tool of choice for science deniers when reality does not conveniently align with their beliefs.

16-09-2016 01:47
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Weaseling becomes the tool of choice for anybody when reality doesn't conveniently align with their beliefs. [sarcasm]Unless you're IB, in which case you can't possibly have flaws. Flaws belong to other people.[/sarcasm]

People can think that they are right and still be wrong. This could be you, IB, but you'd never know it. [sarcasm]You use science. Science must be right. Therefore, you must be right. People who argue with you are wrong. Science is you, and you are right. Therefore, anybody who argues with you is a religious idiot.[/sarcasm] You are unfalsifiable! (At least to yourself.)
Edited on 16-09-2016 01:49
16-09-2016 02:34
DRKTS
★★☆☆☆
(305)
IBdaMann wrote:
The atmosphere is part of the body we call earth. It cannot alter its own absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation.

OK, that's one of the dumber things you have said which is a remarkable achievement in and of itself.

Of course it can alter its own absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation, if its composition changes.

Different gases absorb electromagnetic radiation at different wavelengths.

Add more of one gas or less of another and the opacity of the atmosphere changes.

That in turn will heat (or cool) parts of the atmosphere, so the characteristic wavelength of the emitted radiation will change too. (Wien's Law which with Plank's Law and S_B define what radiation you observe from any object under specific conditions)

So the Earth can change its absorption and emissivity with a change in atmospheric composition.
16-09-2016 03:22
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Btw, I can't tell if my post was overly mocking. I'm not good at reading my own tone. What I do know is that I was less angry as I wrote it, which seemed to me to be a good sign. I apologize if sarcasm is an inappropriate way of conveying criticism.
16-09-2016 11:24
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
My personal suspicion is that intothenight and Ibaman know exactly what they are doing, and are winding us up, what they claim is absurd, they are obviously smart enough to know that.

I'm not sure though they might be insane.

I must admit I also wonder if responding to them at all is healthy.
16-09-2016 11:38
DRKTS
★★☆☆☆
(305)
spot wrote:
My personal suspicion is that intothenight and Ibaman know exactly what they are doing, and are winding us up, what they claim is absurd, they are obviously smart enough to know that.

I'm not sure though they might be insane.

I must admit I also wonder if responding to them at all is healthy.

I would vote Insane
Page 1 of 3123>

Join the debate XKCD earth temperarture;:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact