Remember me
▼ Content

Why Americans Might Never Notice Climate Change's Hotter Weather


Why Americans Might Never Notice Climate Change's Hotter Weather04-03-2019 03:14
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1016)
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/03/its-getting-warmer-but-americans-may-never-notice-climate-change/583570/
04-03-2019 03:52
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(603)
Great... Now social media is evidence that global warming is happening. Wonder if people are aware of how there social media posts, are sold and used in these studies. I'm guessing they don't take into account, sarcasm. I'm usually joking about my perception of our local climate, least for the cold days we get occasionally, knowing the folks a little further north are scraping ice, and shoveling snow. It's consistent with any other Climatology research though, accuracy doesn't matter, and plenty of room to play with the numbers, be selective of what is good and bad data. They try to make a big deal, out of nothing useful.
04-03-2019 06:10
JustTheFacts
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Actually if you look at the data from over 10,000 years it clearly shows that this is actually cold compared to other times. We might infact be going into a global cooling phase and even a miniature ice age. If you look at the size of the polar ice caps you can see that they haven't been shrinking, but growing and now they are 4/3 the size since 2013. People are not realizing that we might be going into a disaster that no one is prepared for. There have been polar vortexes, people literally freezing to death, and we are all focused on the wrong thing.
04-03-2019 10:51
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(603)
There is no actual data from 10,000 years ago, few hundred years is stretching what little is available. Applying any recorded data, on a global scale doesn't really apply, huge margin of error, much larger than any temperature swing. Historically, we've been through the same, or worse weather events in the past, many times. Good bet, those events will continue to repeat in the future. I do believe the CO2 levels are rising, and the planet continues to warm. I don't believe that mankind has a whole lot to do with it, nor is there anything we can do to effect it. Why would we anyway? Much easier to deal with a warmer climate, most plants and animals prefer it. Plants are the basis of food, for all life on this planet, and do best in a warm climate. Plants also like CO2, and do incredibly well in greenhouses augmented with much higher levels of CO2, than we will ever see in our lifetime. CO2 only makes up 0.04% of the atmosphere, a very tiny amount.

The article was about psychology, and how people perceive the environment (climate). They are claiming that we base or perception on basically our experiences of the past five years, so we don't tend to notice a couple of degrees warming, spread out over a lifetime. World has gone through a lot of changes, occasionally sometimes pretty major changes, it's the nature of the world we live. Climate Change is a pipe dream, a scam, sort of cult-like in the way it works, takes a lot of faith to believe, that mankind is the cause, and the IPCC has the cure. If we follow their commandments, we'll be rewarded with a clean, green dream. If we deny them, then we are all going to burn in hell...
04-03-2019 19:54
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7678)
JustTheFacts wrote:
Actually if you look at the data from over 10,000 years it clearly shows that this is actually cold compared to other times. We might infact be going into a global cooling phase and even a miniature ice age. If you look at the size of the polar ice caps you can see that they haven't been shrinking, but growing and now they are 4/3 the size since 2013. People are not realizing that we might be going into a disaster that no one is prepared for. There have been polar vortexes, people literally freezing to death, and we are all focused on the wrong thing.


There is no data for the temperature of the Earth from 10,000 years ago. It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth today. You ARE correct that the arctic winter polar ice extent is larger than 2013, though. In 2014, the Antarctic winter polar ice extent reached the highest level ever recorded.

A 'polar vortex' is a media invented term. High pressure areas are normal at the poles, and surface polar air typically flows south, especially into the central U.S. and Canada for the American continent. It's what gives Siberia it's reputation of being the cold inhospitable place that it is.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 04-03-2019 19:59
10-03-2019 05:49
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
Into the Night wrote:
You ARE correct that the arctic winter polar ice extent is larger than 2013, though. In 2014, the Antarctic winter polar ice extent reached the highest level ever recorded.


I normally try to stay focused on the fact that ice is matter and is measured in volume, not surface area. When discussing sea ice we can only talk about surface area because satellite photos are all we can analyze, but they only show us two dimensions. The longer sea water is below freezing the deeper the ice extends below the surface, and satellite images cannot tell us how deep sea ice is at any point.

The surface area of sea ice varies every year per that year's time / area distribution of freezing temperatures vary. You could have the same sea ice mass manifest in differing surface areas.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-03-2019 14:43
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/03/its-getting-warmer-but-americans-may-never-notice-climate-change/583570/

Americans will never notice Climate Change because it isn't real.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-03-2019 17:15
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(603)
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night. Most people don't like to remember extreme climate changes, feel fortunate to have survived, and hope it doesn't get that bad again. We try to enjoy the good/fun memories. The whole 'Climate Change' is confusing, since the difference in temperature, is what drives the weather, separates the seasons. Global Warming could only smooth things out some, not make for more extreme swings. The tiny 0.04% CO2, couldn't possibly have such a huge impact, only a very minor impact, at best. But, it's not really about climate, the weather, or anything important. It's about money, political power, and control. The world is heavily dependent on fossil fuels, which competition, would usually keep the price low, and supply high. Climate Change, hopes to change that, with taxes and regulations, and shift us toward more expensive, less efficient options, where they can better control our energy usage and paychecks. For many, that paycheck will come from the government, as food stamps, and other social programs, where you have to play along, if you want all you are entitled, or you get to struggle along, and try to provide for your own needs. Most people don't have the skills, or the will anymore, and will simply follow the herd.
10-03-2019 18:06
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
HarveyH55 wrote:
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night.

If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-03-2019 19:01
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(603)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night.

If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.


Just look out the window occasionally... Climate is constantly changing, locally, and globally. The IPCC points this out all the time, yet they seem they have a plan to stop the climate from change, and on a global scale. I do believe there is some global warming, the last big ice age wasn't that long ago, still plenty of leftover ice. From fossil records, seems like the previous warmer climate was very good for life on this planet. Not sure what people are so afraid of, that they want to join a doomsday cult.
10-03-2019 19:02
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(603)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night.

If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.


Just look out the window occasionally... Climate is constantly changing, locally, and globally. The IPCC points this out all the time, yet they seem they have a plan to stop the climate from change, and on a global scale. I do believe there is some global warming, the last big ice age wasn't that long ago, still plenty of leftover ice. From fossil records, seems like the previous warmer climate was very good for life on this planet. Not sure what people are so afraid of, that they want to join a doomsday cult.
10-03-2019 20:06
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night.

If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.


Just look out the window occasionally


You avoided my question. I have looked out the window many times, and I have been outdoors all over the world, and I have never witnessed even a single occurrence of the Global Climate changing.

So, If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.

HarveyH55 wrote:
... Climate is constantly changing, locally, and globally. The IPCC points this out all the time, yet they seem they have a plan to stop the climate from change, and on a global scale.


The IPCC is a religious organization, like the Vatican of Global Warming. They avoid science at all costs. They operate like any other fundamentalist church.

HarveyH55 wrote:
I do believe there is some global warming,

Sure, but you recognize that the sun does that, right?

Blackbody science has already answered all our questions about how the earth's average global temperature is achieved and atmospheric composition is not a factor.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
10-03-2019 20:35
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7678)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
You ARE correct that the arctic winter polar ice extent is larger than 2013, though. In 2014, the Antarctic winter polar ice extent reached the highest level ever recorded.


I normally try to stay focused on the fact that ice is matter and is measured in volume, not surface area. When discussing sea ice we can only talk about surface area because satellite photos are all we can analyze, but they only show us two dimensions. The longer sea water is below freezing the deeper the ice extends below the surface, and satellite images cannot tell us how deep sea ice is at any point.

The surface area of sea ice varies every year per that year's time / area distribution of freezing temperatures vary. You could have the same sea ice mass manifest in differing surface areas.


This is quite true. Indeed, it was one of the things you and litebeer liked to bandy back and forth.

I mention the ice extent simply because it is something we CAN measure, and to show that polar ice is NOT melting to nothing as is commonly claimed.


The Parrot Killer
10-03-2019 20:42
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7678)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
The climate changes all the time, every day, every night.

If I were to claim that the Global Climate hasn't changed one iota during my lifetime, how could you prove otherwise.


Just look out the window occasionally... Climate is constantly changing, locally, and globally. The IPCC points this out all the time, yet they seem they have a plan to stop the climate from change, and on a global scale. I do believe there is some global warming, the last big ice age wasn't that long ago, still plenty of leftover ice. From fossil records, seems like the previous warmer climate was very good for life on this planet. Not sure what people are so afraid of, that they want to join a doomsday cult.


Define 'climate change'. What climate is changing? From when to when? Why would those two points in time be significant? Why would any other two points in time NOT be significant?

I look out the window and see weather changing. Is climate just the weather? Most people define 'climate' as something similar to 'weather over a long time'. What IS the 'long time'? Millennia? Centuries? Years? Hours? Minutes? Seconds?

Climate is not a quantifiable thing. It is subjective. Putting the word 'change' with it adds another level of subjective meaning.

'Climate change' can only be defined with itself. In other words, it has no meaning. You can't define a word with itself.

Weather changes. It has no time period associated with it. It just is. Climate has a time period associated with it (even though it's not specified). It is not quantifiable.


The Parrot Killer
11-03-2019 00:25
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
Into the Night wrote:
Define 'climate change'.

Oh, pick me! Pick me!

Climate Change is the first derivative of the Climate function!

... and the 2nd derivative is Climate Acceleration, you know, like when Climate is accelerating faster than scientists feared!

Math just makes this whole Climate Change thing so easy.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
11-03-2019 19:09
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7678)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Define 'climate change'.

Oh, pick me! Pick me!

Climate Change is the first derivative of the Climate function!

... and the 2nd derivative is Climate Acceleration, you know, like when Climate is accelerating faster than scientists feared!

Math just makes this whole Climate Change thing so easy.


LOL. Believe it or not, you actually have the best definition so far!


The Parrot Killer
11-03-2019 22:28
Longview
☆☆☆☆☆
(13)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/03/its-getting-warmer-but-americans-may-never-notice-climate-change/583570/

I suspect the reason most Americans would not notice it getting warmer,
is that it is only minimally warmer.
Most of the observed increase in average temperatures is in the minimum
temperatures.
This is what Tyndail expected, a lessening in the diurnal and seasonal
variations of temperature.
One need only look at NOAA's climate at a glance page to see this.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmax/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000
vs
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmin/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000
12-03-2019 03:28
Into the Night
★★★★★
(7678)
Longview wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/03/its-getting-warmer-but-americans-may-never-notice-climate-change/583570/

I suspect the reason most Americans would not notice it getting warmer,
is that it is only minimally warmer.
Most of the observed increase in average temperatures is in the minimum
temperatures.
This is what Tyndail expected, a lessening in the diurnal and seasonal
variations of temperature.
One need only look at NOAA's climate at a glance page to see this.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmax/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000
vs
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmin/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000


Is it warmer? Is it cooler? Is it the same? We don't know. It's not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.


The Parrot Killer
12-03-2019 03:59
James___
★★★★☆
(1187)
Into the Night wrote:
Longview wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/03/its-getting-warmer-but-americans-may-never-notice-climate-change/583570/

I suspect the reason most Americans would not notice it getting warmer,
is that it is only minimally warmer.
Most of the observed increase in average temperatures is in the minimum
temperatures.
This is what Tyndail expected, a lessening in the diurnal and seasonal
variations of temperature.
One need only look at NOAA's climate at a glance page to see this.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmax/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000
vs
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/national/time-series/110/tmin/12/12/1934-2019?base_prd=true&firstbaseyear=1901&lastbaseyear=2000


Is it warmer? Is it cooler? Is it the same? We don't know. It's not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.



And how do we measure ITN's IQ? Like this,
1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 0, 0 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, etc.
12-03-2019 13:28
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
James___ wrote: And how do we measure ITN's IQ? Like this,
1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 0, 0 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, etc.


An IQ of 100111000000110? I think you're giving Into the Night a wee bit too much credit. Frankly I wouldn't even put his IQ over 100,000 ... substantially lower actually.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-03-2019 23:11
gfm7175
★★☆☆☆
(153)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Define 'climate change'.

Oh, pick me! Pick me!

Climate Change is the first derivative of the Climate function!

... and the 2nd derivative is Climate Acceleration, you know, like when Climate is accelerating faster than scientists feared!

Math just makes this whole Climate Change thing so easy.


LOL. Believe it or not, you actually have the best definition so far!

Beats a typical attempt such as "variations of weather over time"...
12-03-2019 23:14
gfm7175
★★☆☆☆
(153)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: And how do we measure ITN's IQ? Like this,
1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 0, 0 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, etc.


An IQ of 100111000000110? I think you're giving Into the Night a wee bit too much credit. Frankly I wouldn't even put his IQ over 100,000 ... substantially lower actually.


It appeared to me as if he was attempting to express ITN's IQ in binary... I've never really put much stock into IQ scores myself...
12-03-2019 23:21
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3537)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: And how do we measure ITN's IQ? Like this,
1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 0, 0 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, etc.


An IQ of 100111000000110? I think you're giving Into the Night a wee bit too much credit. Frankly I wouldn't even put his IQ over 100,000 ... substantially lower actually.


It appeared to me as if he was attempting to express ITN's IQ in binary... I've never really put much stock into IQ scores myself...


It appears that you, Into the Night and I are completely on the same page.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist




Join the debate Why Americans Might Never Notice Climate Change's Hotter Weather:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
China is building its 4th aircraft carrier for world domination. So why Americans spend101-05-2019 20:43
Do Americans think they can stop China buy Iran oil?028-04-2019 18:14
If Americans didn't bother with CO2 during the wars against Nazi Germany and Soviet Union, why526-04-2019 20:35
Medieval warm period was way hotter than today's climate. 1 C hotter globally. So why IPCC do not ack019-04-2019 16:33
Americans' energy use surges despite climate change concern019-04-2019 14:57
Articles
Appendix B - Calculating The Economic Costs of Extreme Weather Events
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact