Remember me
▼ Content

Where's the rest of ice core?

Where's the rest of ice core?09-02-2019 14:49
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
They only showed the last 800,000 years. Why don't they show the rest? Maybe it does not fit their hockey stick?
09-02-2019 19:13
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
They only showed the last 800,000 years. Why don't they show the rest? Maybe it does not fit their hockey stick?

They drill those ice cores out of the ice sheets. The length of time they cover is the depth to which they can drill and how long ago that particular part of the Earth was in a more or less frozen state.
09-02-2019 19:18
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Guess it melted... Ice isn't a perfect container, some gasses move freely, like CO2. The longer the air bubble is trapped in the ice, the fewer gasses left to measure and compare. Really old ice wouldn't be useful to promote CO2 levels. Really not sure how they date layers of ice either, since there are usually many events during any year, that can add or subtract ice. Every year we are told about melting arctic ice, 'proving' global warming is a crisis. Basically, it's just another batch of guessing, close enough to use, but doesn't actually have any value, no way to verify. But, if you have faith, and believe everything the IPCC writes, it's easier to accept as 'fact'.
09-02-2019 20:43
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21586)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

There is no 'hockey stick'. Random numbers don't mean anything.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-02-2019 20:44
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Guess it melted... Ice isn't a perfect container, some gasses move freely, like CO2. The longer the air bubble is trapped in the ice, the fewer gasses left to measure and compare. Really old ice wouldn't be useful to promote CO2 levels. Really not sure how they date layers of ice either, since there are usually many events during any year, that can add or subtract ice. Every year we are told about melting arctic ice, 'proving' global warming is a crisis. Basically, it's just another batch of guessing, close enough to use, but doesn't actually have any value, no way to verify. But, if you have faith, and believe everything the IPCC writes, it's easier to accept as 'fact'.

I'm sure that if you had unlimited knowledge you COULD figure out past CO2 in ice cores but the manner of doing so would be so ridiculously difficult and expensive that only a fool would try.
09-02-2019 20:45
(21586)
Wake wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

They drill those ice cores out of the ice sheets.

Good for you, Wake. Did you have to look that up?
Wake wrote:
The length of time they cover is the depth to which they can drill and how long ago that particular part of the Earth was in a more or less frozen state.

Void argument, Wake. What does an ice core 'cover'? It's not temperature, and it's not CO2.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-02-2019 20:45
(21586)
HarveyH55 wrote:

You got it, dude.

The Parrot Killer

09-02-2019 20:47
(21586)
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I'm sure that if you had unlimited knowledge you COULD figure out past CO2 in ice cores but the manner of doing so would be so ridiculously difficult and expensive that only a fool would try.

Really, Wake? Did you already forget that YOU were arguing that you COULD measure how much CO2 was on the Earth using ice cores?

Your memory is getting really bad.

The Parrot Killer

10-02-2019 02:06
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Anyone know how they are measuring the gasses in those tiny little bubbles, without destroying the ice sample? I'm sure the details of how the testing is done, are available some place. I never really spent much time on ice cores, since I doubt they have much value, except maybe during the warm summer months. Are the tests done at the boring site, or do they transport the core samples half way across the planet? What measures do they take to preserve samples, prevent contamination? How do they keep these samples from being bounced around, or safe from vibrations. Ice is a crystal after all, and room for gasses to escape, if the structure is disturbed. If the sample is destroyed (melted), then it wouldn't be very scientific, since the measurement couldn't be repeated, or verified.
10-02-2019 19:12
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Anyone know how they are measuring the gasses in those tiny little bubbles, without destroying the ice sample? I'm sure the details of how the testing is done, are available some place. I never really spent much time on ice cores, since I doubt they have much value, except maybe during the warm summer months. Are the tests done at the boring site, or do they transport the core samples half way across the planet? What measures do they take to preserve samples, prevent contamination? How do they keep these samples from being bounced around, or safe from vibrations. Ice is a crystal after all, and room for gasses to escape, if the structure is disturbed. If the sample is destroyed (melted), then it wouldn't be very scientific, since the measurement couldn't be repeated, or verified.
It is pretty straight forward. There are a lot of airbubbles in those ice sheets because it starts out as a covering of either snow or frost. As they are compressed by the weight of successive layers of snow or frost the bubbles supposedly of normal air are trapped in the ice sheet.

So all they do is use a the equivalent of a hypodermic needle to extract the gases in that bubble leaving behind essentially a vacuum and then put that tiny same through a gas chromatograph. I designed at least one version of those instruments.
Edited on 10-02-2019 19:13
10-02-2019 19:32
(21586)
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
It is pretty straight forward. There are a lot of airbubbles in those ice sheets because it starts out as a covering of either snow or frost. As they are compressed by the weight of successive layers of snow or frost the bubbles supposedly of normal air are trapped in the ice sheet.

So all they do is use a the equivalent of a hypodermic needle to extract the gases in that bubble leaving behind essentially a vacuum and then put that tiny same through a gas chromatograph. I designed at least one version of those instruments.

Don't see how you could have designed one, Wake. You don't know electronics. You don't seem to understand much about light either. My guess is that most your are a script kiddie programmer that likes to claim a lot of stuff he did that he never did.

The Parrot Killer

10-02-2019 21:50
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Don't see how you could have designed one, Wake. You don't know electronics. You don't seem to understand much about light either. My guess is that most your are a script kiddie programmer that likes to claim a lot of stuff he did that he never did.
We're all really impressed with the dope who denies science telling me what I do and don't know. What I've done and not done. Is that part of your stand-up comedy act that never went anywhere either? You're a certified aircraft mechanic who never has any work for pretty obvious reasons and want to tell us all about how entire sciences don't exist because you say they don't. You're pretty impressive in a way that shows idiocy.
11-02-2019 01:24
(21586)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

We're all really impressed with the dope who denies science

It is YOU that denies science, Wake. You deny the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
Wake wrote:
telling me what I do and don't know.
You have already indicated with your own posts what you don't know.
Wake wrote:
What I've done and not done.
You have already indicated with your own posts what you have not done because you don't know about how to do them.
Wake wrote:
Is that part of your stand-up comedy act that never went anywhere either?
Nah. Never went into doing stand-up comedy.
Wake wrote:
You're a certified aircraft mechanic
That I am.
Wake wrote:
who never has any work
It is not my line of work, Wake. I own a company that designs and builds instrumentation for industrial, medical, aerospace, and entertainment markets. I did have to pass an FAA exam for that certification, though. An exam where you couldn't even pass the first question I gave you.
Wake wrote:
for pretty obvious reasons
Do you fly, Wake? You are using some of my instruments. Do you have paper in your house? My instruments helped make it.
Wake wrote:
and want to tell us all about how entire sciences don't exist because you say they don't.

Never said any branch of science doesn't exist, Wake.
Wake wrote:
You're pretty impressive in a way that shows idiocy.

...and your usual anger and insults.

The Parrot Killer

11-02-2019 01:55
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

It is YOU that denies science, Wake. You deny the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:
You have already indicated with your own posts what you have not done because you don't know about how to do them.
Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:
That I am.
Wake wrote:
who never has any work
It is not my line of work, Wake. I own a company that designs and builds instrumentation for industrial, medical, aerospace, and entertainment markets. I did have to pass an FAA exam for that certification, though. An exam where you couldn't even pass the first question I gave you.
Wake wrote:
Do you fly, Wake? You are using some of my instruments. Do you have paper in your house? My instruments helped make it.
Wake wrote:
and want to tell us all about how entire sciences don't exist because you say they don't.

Wake wrote:

As I have noted before - you don't even understand the Stefan-Boltzmann law and I'm not going to repeat myself about your stupid errors.

You just said that specific heat means nothing. That is part and parcel of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and you show that you don't know what.

Arguing with a fool like you is nothing more than debilitating. You are so stupid you don't even know how stupid you are.
12-02-2019 01:15
(21586)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:
That I am.
Wake wrote:
who never has any work
Wake wrote:
Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

As I have noted before - you don't even understand the Stefan-Boltzmann law

It is YOU that is trying to change it, Wake. It is YOU that doesn't understand this law.
Wake wrote:
and I'm not going to repeat myself about your stupid errors.

Good. I'm tired of you attempting to add a frequency term to the equation.
Wake wrote:
You just said that specific heat means nothing.
Never said that, Wake.
Wake wrote:
That is part and parcel of the 2nd law of thermodynamics
Has nothing to do with specific heat, Wake.
Wake wrote:
and you show that you don't know what.
Insult fallacy, Wake.
Wake wrote:
Arguing with a fool like you is nothing more than debilitating. You are so stupid you don't even know how stupid you are.

Insult fallacies, Wake.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Where's the rest of ice core?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
QAnon Group Was Are Deceiving The Rest Of The World For Individual Gain021-07-2023 06:09
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
Arctic sea ice cover1909-04-2022 08:29
New Ice age by 203014004-04-2022 16:10
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact