Remember me
▼ Content

What if Greenland Was on the North Pole?

What if Greenland Was on the North Pole?21-02-2016 12:35
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
How would you look to the current climate debate when Greenland 'came' from the North pole?

What if Greenland was actually on the North pole, shifted to its current location, and we simply don't know that? It might be hard to imagine for some of us who are quite stuck in their ideas.

Wouldn't that change the climate debate forever? What do you think?

http://hubpages.com/education/Alignment-of-Pyramids-to-Former-North-Poles
Edited on 21-02-2016 12:44
21-02-2016 13:01
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Mulder and Scully are back in business they should look into it.
21-02-2016 16:35
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14403)
spot wrote:

Spot doesn't understand a hypothetical scenario. This would explain spot's inherent difficulty with word problems and inabilty to work with basic math.

Why spot considers science to be a sinister conspiracy is a mystery, but I'm sure the truth is out there.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
21-02-2016 17:30
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
IBdaMann wrote:
spot wrote:

Spot doesn't understand a hypothetical scenario. This would explain spot's inherent difficulty with word problems and inabilty to work with basic math.

Why spot considers science to be a sinister conspiracy is a mystery, but I'm sure the truth is out there.

Indeed that seems so. Even the hypothetical question 'what if' seems to be overlooked. What more would they be overlooking?
21-02-2016 21:09
(14403)
Buildreps wrote:Indeed that seems so. Even the hypothetical question 'what if' seems to be overlooked. What more would they be overlooking?

I suppose warmizombies are focused on glorifying "Climate" and that they don't want to get distracted by hypotheticals that might permit science to slip in and threaten the dogma.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
21-02-2016 23:40
Hank Samler
☆☆☆☆☆
(45)
Buildreps wrote:

Of course it can't be ruled out that poles have shifted and that other mechanisms are in place that we still have no clue about, let alone understanding how they happen. It became clear to me what the end of the last ice age probably erased watching Graham Hancock years ago.

And I haven't read all your articles yet, but what do you think it means for the climate debate?
22-02-2016 00:46
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Hank Samler wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

Of course it can't be ruled out that poles have shifted and that other mechanisms are in place that we still have no clue about, let alone understanding how they happen. It became clear to me what the end of the last ice age probably erased watching Graham Hancock years ago.

And I haven't read all your articles yet, but what do you think it means for the climate debate?

When Greenland would be have been on the North pole and shifted to its current location, it would be melting very slowly. Like switching an ice cream from a freezer to a cold fridge. Wouldn't that be a logical reason why it is melting anyway? And wouldn't we see a kind of 'bouncing up' effect? Our current warming?

When a polar region shifts to a warmer region, and a warmer region to the polar region, what would your global readout be on your thermometer? (the temperature proxies in this case)

What would happen when you're researching ice ages and you've no idea that the crust has shifted. How would your interpretations look like?
Edited on 22-02-2016 00:48
22-02-2016 00:55
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21596)
Buildreps wrote:
Hank Samler wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

When Greenland would be have been on the North pole and shifted to its current location, it would be melting very slowly. Like switching an ice cream from a freezer to a cold fridge. Wouldn't that be a logical reason why it is melting anyway? And wouldn't we see a kind of 'bouncing up' effect? Our current warming?

When a polar region shifts to a warmer region, and a warmer region to the polar region, what would your global readout be on your thermometer? (the temperature proxies in this case)

What would happen when you're researching ice ages and you've no idea that the crust has shifted. How would your interpretations look like?

So when did the cherry on top fall off the North Pole?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-02-2016 01:31
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Hank Samler wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

How exactly do you propose that Greenland suddenly (in geologic terms) shifted from the North Pole to its current location? Continents drift slowly across the magma; they don't suddenly decide to scuttle a couple of thousand miles. And the axis of rotation of the Earth can't just change by itself; they would violate conservation of angular momentum. What you are proposing is simply physically impossible.
22-02-2016 04:39
(14403)
Surface Detail wrote:How exactly do you propose that Greenland suddenly (in geologic terms) shifted from the North Pole to its current location? Continents drift slowly across the magma; they don't suddenly decide to scuttle a couple of thousand miles.

Didn't it suddenly scuttle along with the unprecedented change in emissivity and the change in earth's radius to compensate for T?

Surface Detail wrote: And the axis of rotation of the Earth can't just change by itself; they would violate conservation of angular momentum.

Conservation of angular momentum goes out the door when you toss out the laws of physics. Maybe the axis suddenly changed when the earth's temperature increased but its radiance decreased. That's probably when it happened.

What you are proposing is simply physically impossible.[/quote]

22-02-2016 10:45
Hank Samler
☆☆☆☆☆
(45)
Surface Detail wrote:
And the axis of rotation of the Earth can't just change by itself; they would violate conservation of angular momentum. What you are proposing is simply physically impossible.

He hasn't revealed what he thinks is the mechanism for "wandering" poles. I am quite curious how that could work:-)

The only thing that I could imagine is that the axis was "adjusted" because of the weight of Antarctica causing a centering effect. It's certainly not something I could describe using physics.

And besides, it's not about whether any of us could imagine it, now, is it?
22-02-2016 13:47
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
No, that's a too superficial view. You now regard earth as one complete solid object, while it consists of multiple parts: heavy solid, heavy liquid, light solid and light liquid. Preservation of angular momentum where you're talking about is a composition of these parts. So, regarding the preservation of angular momentum we can split up earth in several compositions.

Celestial objects react in their rotation speed when the eccentricity of their orbit changes, which is also part of the preservation of this same angular momentum.

Measurements have shown that the closer earth comes to the sun the slower it rotates. Which law governs this phenomenon? Science simply lacks knowledge here.

When you talk about the conservation of angular momentum, you could try to imagine what happens with the different masses of the earth that will react on this change in rotation speed. There could be a threshold where the system as a whole becomes unstable. Can you imagine this?

The crust will be held in its position by the syrupy properties of the asthenosphere until the differences in angular momentum will reach a threshold and the crust can break loose. Because earth rotates around its axis, this reaction will be perpendicular to this rotation axis.

The heavier parts might react less intense on eccentric changes than the heavier inner parts.

What if you knew that Greenland was once on the North pole? How would that change your attitude towards all the climate phenomenons we are seeing today?

It's crucial to let your imagination work to make any scientific progress.
Edited on 22-02-2016 13:53
22-02-2016 14:30
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Measurements have shown that the closer earth comes to the sun the slower it rotates. Which law governs this phenomenon? Science simply lacks knowledge here.

What measurements?
22-02-2016 14:45
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

Measurements of the USNO. Why would I throw pearls before swine for free?
22-02-2016 14:47
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

As I thought, you're making stuff up again. Why the need to keep lying?
22-02-2016 14:50
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

No, I'm not. You can checkout the website of the USNO yourself.
22-02-2016 14:54
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

Checked it out. You're lying.
22-02-2016 15:04
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

You fool. The site is now offline. You haven't checked anything, and that makes you a vicious liar. Good to know. Don't call me a liar because you are too stupid to check things yourself.
Edited on 22-02-2016 15:04
22-02-2016 15:08
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

You fool. The site is now offline. You haven't checked anything, and that makes you a vicious liar. Good to know. Don't call me a liar because you are too stupid to check things yourself.

No, it's not offline. It's here and very much online:

The United States Naval Observatory (USNO)

It's just one lie after another with you, isn't it?
22-02-2016 15:11
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

It's still offline, liar.
22-02-2016 15:13
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

Copied and pasted from their website:

3450 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20392-5420
Urania Clear

The United States Naval Observatory (USNO) provides a wide range of astronomical data and products, and serves as the official source of time for the U.S. Department of Defense and a standard of time for the entire United States.

USNO products support activities in the following areas:
Astrometry

Integrated Image and Catalog Archive Service, star catalogs, fundamental reference frames, space astrometry.
Astronomical Applications

Astronomical data calculators (e.g., rise/set times, Moon phase, etc.), information on astronomical phenomena and related topics, astronomical and navigational almanacs, software products.
Earth Orientation

Daily, weekly, and long-term EO products (e.g. IERS Bulletin A), GPS-based products (rapids, ultra-rapids, UTGPS), VLBI-based products, background information, technical and scientific publications and software.
Precise Time

USNO Master Clock, Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers, web-based time synchronization, GPS timing products and services, Two-Way Satellite Time Transfer, and Loran-C timing products.
The James M. Gilliss Library

USNO's library holds one of the most complete collections of astronomical literature in the world.
Tours & Events

Information on tours of the Naval Observatory, upcoming scientific colloquia, and other events.

About Us

Information about the U.S. Naval Observatory.

You don't like it when you get called out on your lies, do you?
22-02-2016 15:16
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

Urania Clear

The United States Naval Observatory (USNO) provides a wide range of astronomical data and products, and serves as the official source of time for the U.S. Department of Defense and a standard of time for the entire United States.

Astrometry

Integrated Image and Catalog Archive Service, star catalogs, fundamental reference frames, space astrometry.

Astronomical data calculators (e.g., rise/set times, Moon phase, etc.), information on astronomical phenomena and related topics, astronomical and navigational almanacs, software products.
Earth Orientation

Daily, weekly, and long-term EO products (e.g. IERS Bulletin A), GPS-based products (rapids, ultra-rapids, UTGPS), VLBI-based products, background information, technical and scientific publications and software.
Precise Time

USNO Master Clock, Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers, web-based time synchronization, GPS timing products and services, Two-Way Satellite Time Transfer, and Loran-C timing products.

USNO's library holds one of the most complete collections of astronomical literature in the world.
Tours & Events

Information on tours of the Naval Observatory, upcoming scientific colloquia, and other events.

About Us

Yes, that's because it just now became back online. That still makes you the liar. Now you can check the measurements.
22-02-2016 15:20
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Buildreps wrote:

What measurements?

Urania Clear

Astrometry

Earth Orientation

Precise Time

Tours & Events

About Us

Yes, that's because it just now became back online. That still makes you the liar. Now you can check the measurements.

Stop being so bloody childish. If you have any evidence whatsoever that the Earth's rotation speed slows as it comes closer to the sun, just post a link or a quote. I've had enough of your stupid games.
22-02-2016 15:42
Buildreps
★☆☆☆☆
(100)
You spoiled my appetite completely, surface.

Join the debate What if Greenland Was on the North Pole?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
It is not if, but when will North become South and the Geese will fly the wrong way7824-11-2023 03:35
Greenland: Zombie Apocalpse Happening NOW!!!105-09-2022 05:02
The Fastest Way To End The Virus Pandemic Is Using The North Korea Strategy, Policy & Environment010-08-2021 03:22
2021 Has Started With A Roar In The North Pacific17406-02-2021 02:28
NASA/GRACE lies about Greenland's ice mass loss1004-04-2020 23:16
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact