Remember me
▼ Content

Water From The Air

Water From The Air09-06-2018 20:05
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
They put together a box about two feet per side with a layer of MOF on top that sits exposed to the air. Every night the temperature drops and the humidity rises, and water is trapped inside the MOF; in the morning, the sun's heat drives the water from the powder, and it condenses on the box's sides, kept cool by a sort of hat. The result of a night's work: 3 ounces of water per pound of MOF used.

That's not much more than a few sips, but improvements are already on the way. Currently the MOF uses zicronium, but an aluminum-based MOF, already being tested in the lab, will cost 99 percent less and produce twice as much water.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/box-sucks-pure-water-dry-235835591.html
09-06-2018 20:33
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
LOL. That happens naturally in any desert.

It's called 'dew'. It is much of the water source for critters in desert environments.
09-06-2018 21:34
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

It's called 'dew'. It is much of the water source for critters in desert environments.

...Amazing, you are simply amazing itn. You think you are smart because you know what any 2nd grader does.
09-06-2018 22:54
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
...What itn doesn't understand is that such ideas can be better developed. This is just an initial first step for those involved. Who knows, maybe one day they can use a fan to pull air through it and when it catches enough water it just starts flowing out of it. With something like this that would be the goal. This is because a vacuum would be achieved between the fan and the MOF which would create a "cooler" area that would mimic the arid atmosphere at night. Even shading and misting water over an area can drop the temperature 20° F. with no decrease in atmospheric pressure. This means the water they capture could be used to make the process more efficient.
10-06-2018 09:10
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

...Amazing, you are simply amazing itn. You think you are smart because you know what any 2nd grader does.

Which is apparently much more than YOU know.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-06-2018 09:19
(21582)
James___ wrote:
...What itn doesn't understand is that such ideas can be better developed.

Only to a point.
James___ wrote:
This is just an initial first step for those involved.

Meh.
James___ wrote:
Who knows, maybe one day they can use a fan to pull air through it and when it catches enough water it just starts flowing out of it.

Not gonna happen. You can only get so much water out of the air. BTW, did you know dew forms even in windy desert conditions?
James___ wrote:
With something like this that would be the goal. This is because a vacuum would be achieved between the fan and the MOF which would create a "cooler" area that would mimic the arid atmosphere at night.

Fans don't create a vacuum. They do, however, create a positive pressure on their lee side (assuming the blades aren't stalled).
James___ wrote:
Even shading and misting water over an area can drop the temperature 20° F.

True. It's one of the reasons it's not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.
James___ wrote:
with no decrease in atmospheric pressure.
This means the water they capture could be used to make the process more efficient.

If you're going to spend energy to get water out of the air, why not just use a compressor?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Water From The Air:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Scientists say Florida Keys coral reefs are already bleaching as water temperatures hit record highs1429-07-2023 20:14
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Lake Mead Water Levels Stage A Comeback?431-05-2023 23:03
LOL, California has way way way too much water at this point1702-05-2023 20:59
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact