Remember me
▼ Content

warmer is always better

warmer is always better04-12-2016 17:26
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Take a look. How many people live in the tropics and subtropics and warm places like Britain, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Denmark, Poland, Japan. That's 90% of the world's people right there. How many people live in the Arctic and the Antarctica? That's a few thousand + 0. Global warming is beneficial, not detrimental. And I challenge you to argue otherwise.
Edited on 04-12-2016 17:35
04-12-2016 20:13
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Sweden is not normally considered a warm place.

But yes, the warmer the climate the generally more populous and fertile it is generally.

The great deserts of the world are dry due to being next to the equitorial regions where the moisture of the air is concentrated and the air over the deserts is generally wandering equatorwise and sucking up moisture thus creating deserts.

When the world was warmer it was wetter in most deserts.

Edited on 04-12-2016 20:13
04-12-2016 21:20
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Tim the plumber wrote:

Not as warm as Germany, but quite warm compared to say Canada.

Check the Stockholm weather. Seems to be pretty much above 0 C all winter.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=UmxEWNH6NaiC8QeM_5OoDw&gws_rd=ssl#q=stockholm+weather
04-12-2016 21:46
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Tim the plumber wrote:

But yes, the warmer the climate the generally more populous and fertile it is generally.

The great deserts of the world are dry due to being next to the equitorial regions where the moisture of the air is concentrated and the air over the deserts is generally wandering equatorwise and sucking up moisture thus creating deserts.

Not how deserts are formed.

Descending air creates deserts. Rising air creates rainfall.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-12-2016 22:32
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14390)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

I thought that a lack of precip caused a desert.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
04-12-2016 23:38
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

I thought that a lack of precip caused a desert.

Quite true. Descending air is generally drier.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 04-12-2016 23:42
05-12-2016 17:53
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

Yes, air decends at 40degrees North/South or so and then sweeps across the surface moving west and towards the equator. As it does so it heats up and gathers moisture. This continues untill in the equitorial regions it rises, dropping it's moisture as it cools/expands due to increased altitude.

The air then moves at high altitude to 40 North/South where it drops again.

Increased general temperatures mean a general increase in moisture content in the air which will result in a general increase in rainfall.
05-12-2016 20:51
(21588)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

Yes, air decends at 40degrees North/South or so and then sweeps across the surface moving west and towards the equator. As it does so it heats up and gathers moisture. This continues untill in the equitorial regions it rises, dropping it's moisture as it cools/expands due to increased altitude.

Increased general temperatures mean a general increase in moisture content in the air which will result in a general increase in rainfall.

Not really. We have a working example of rainfall in warm water and cold water already. There is no real difference.

The Parrot Killer

05-12-2016 23:50
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

Not really. We have a working example of rainfall in warm water and cold water already. There is no real difference.

He's correct. Warmer air can hold more moisture.

"Heads on a science
Apart" - Coldplay, The Scientist

IBdaMann wrote:
No, science doesn't insist that, ergo I don't insist that.

I am the Ninja Scientist! Beware!
06-12-2016 00:04
(21588)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

Holding more moisture does not cause rain.

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2016 15:46
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

What?

Do you mean weather?

Do you understand what actually causes rian to happen?

Did you go to school?
06-12-2016 15:48
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Into the Night wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

It causes the amount of rain to be more for a given drop from one temperature to amother. This will often make it rain when it otherwise would not of.

Rain is the result of moist air cooling. If the air is already cold or notmoist it will not cause rain.

Hot air holds more water. When it cools it rains more and more often.
06-12-2016 15:51
(14390)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote: Not really. We have a working example of rainfall in warm water and cold water already. There is no real difference.

Did you go to school?

Ooooh, the gauntlet has been thrown.

btw ... there are no major deserts on the equator. Would you remind me how the equator causes deserts?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-12-2016 16:05
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
IBdaMann wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote: Not really. We have a working example of rainfall in warm water and cold water already. There is no real difference.

Did you go to school?

Ooooh, the gauntlet has been thrown.

btw ... there are no major deserts on the equator. Would you remind me how the equator causes deserts?

Oh God....

I say it again then....

The air in the areas next to the hotest (over the whole day) zone of the earth, those would be the equitorial jungle bits, is moving towards the equitorial zones.

As it does it gets hotter. Thus taking up moisture. Thus not dropping it.

I don't know where you went to school but when I was 13 this is what I learnt in geography class. It's very basic.
06-12-2016 20:01
(14390)
Tim the plumber wrote:
The air in the areas next to the hotest (over the whole day) zone of the earth, those would be the equitorial jungle bits, is moving towards the equitorial zones.

As it does it gets hotter. Thus taking up moisture. Thus not dropping it.

Tim, over the whole day, the temperature increases and gets hot over the Amazon rain forest as well as over the Arabian desert. Air moves over both.

One is a desert and one is thriving with life and no shortage of water. The rain forest is closer to the equator than the Arabian desert.

Just an observation.

Tim the plumber wrote:I don't know where you went to school but when I was 13 this is what I learnt in geography class. It's very basic.

Yes, Surface Detail has explained how brilliant he is for his British education (students master quantum mechanics by age 13 or something like that). I won't question your geography acumen.

06-12-2016 21:02
(21588)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

What?

Do you mean weather?

Did you go to school?

Yes. I mean weather. Prevalent weather over a region. Some people like to say 'climate' here. It is a correct use of the term.

Yes. I understand exactly what makes rain to happen. You do NOT need warm water or air to make rain happen. All you need is rising air with moisture in it. Air rises because of a difference in temperature, not because it is hot.

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2016 21:14
(21588)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

It causes the amount of rain to be more for a given drop from one temperature to amother. This will often make it rain when it otherwise would not of.

Rain is the result of moist air cooling. If the air is already cold or notmoist it will not cause rain.

No, it does not rain more, or even more often. Only rapidly rising air causes it to rain harder, if it rises past the point of condensation. It does not rain more, just harder. It does not rain more often. Just harder when it does rain.

More rain occurs where there are nearby oceans to supply it, especially if the ocean is to the west, especially where rising air predominates such as the equator and about 49 deg latitude.

Up here near Seattle, for example, there are areas that get more rain than any tropical jungle.

The Parrot Killer

07-12-2016 00:50
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Every single civilization began in warm places. Iraq. Egypt. Greece. Rome. China. India. Mexico. No. Not one civilization in the Arctic.
07-12-2016 01:21
(14390)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Every single civilization began in warm places. Iraq. Egypt. Greece. Rome. China. India. Mexico. No. Not one civilization in the Arctic.

What about the Alaskan civilizations?

07-12-2016 01:50
(21588)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

What about the Pictish?

The Parrot Killer

07-12-2016 04:06
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Into the Night wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

What about the Pictish?

Scotland is warm. Above 0 C all winter.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=scotland+weather&oq=scotland+weather&gs_l=serp.3..0l10.49025.51133.0.51274.17.9.0.0.0.0.263.895.0j1j3.4.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..13.3.716.0..46j0i46k1j0i20k1.bSWlEZNreUI
Edited on 07-12-2016 04:06
07-12-2016 11:15
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

No, it does not rain more, or even more often. Only rapidly rising air causes it to rain harder, if it rises past the point of condensation. It does not rain more, just harder. It does not rain more often. Just harder when it does rain.

More rain occurs where there are nearby oceans to supply it, especially if the ocean is to the west, especially where rising air predominates such as the equator and about 49 deg latitude.

Up here near Seattle, for example, there are areas that get more rain than any tropical jungle.

Rainfall can be caused by moist air cooling in several ways.

The air being pushed over mountains such as in Norway, Western Scotland or the Rockies near Seattle will cause cooling as the air gains altitude and thus the pressure drops causing cooling.

If the air has more water in it it will rain more. And do so more often. Taking those occaisions where it almost rained to it actually happening.

How much rainfall do you get in the wettest parts of the Pacific North West? Are they up to the levels of some bits of Scotland or Norway (5m per year)? There are still wetter places that get a double monsoon though...
07-12-2016 11:57
(21588)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
jwoodward48 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Oh God....

Rainfall can be caused by moist air cooling in several ways.

The air being pushed over mountains such as in Norway, Western Scotland or the Rockies near Seattle will cause cooling as the air gains altitude and thus the pressure drops causing cooling.
This is rising air.
Tim the plumber wrote:
If the air has more water in it it will rain more.
Not necessarily. This is dependent on the rate of cooling in the air.
Tim the plumber wrote:
And do so more often.
Again, not necessarily. Very moist air may produce no rainfall at all.
Tim the plumber wrote:
Taking those occaisions where it almost rained to it actually happening.
The difference is cooling air, most often caused by rising.
Tim the plumber wrote:
How much rainfall do you get in the wettest parts of the Pacific North West? Are they up to the levels of some bits of Scotland or Norway (5m per year)? There are still wetter places that get a double monsoon though...

Thanks for agreeing with my argument. You just shot down yours.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate warmer is always better:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
How a cooler body heats a warmer body.8627-05-2020 21:02
What makes IPCC scientists sure warmer air hundreds of millions of years ago due to7106-06-2019 23:39
Climate change is unavoidable, so is a warmer or cooler climate more desireable?6223-10-2018 02:16
No one cares even if 97% of climate scientists think more CO2 causes warmer weather. Because of Galileo.2421-03-2017 16:40
there is no proof past climate was significantly warmer when CO2 was much more327-02-2017 04:06
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact