Remember me
▼ Content

The truth about sea level rise

The truth about sea level rise26-12-2014 01:51
mywifesatan
★☆☆☆☆
(59)
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/papers/reprint/sea_level_not_rising.pdf
26-12-2014 04:41
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
26-12-2014 14:10
mywifesatan
★☆☆☆☆
(59)
This is peer-reviewed literature In actuality I do not completely agree with the assesment..but as you can see there is a problem on this topic when literature can get peer reviewed and still isn't good enough evidence for the majority of scientists. the fact is 30% of the ipcc report is from NON peer reviewed literature. The ipcc report is only suitable to clean someones behind after a bm...Sea level rise has not been covered in a ethical way by anybody. Gmsl is very difficult to obtain but very easy to manipulate. the studies in general grossly overestimate seal level rise rate.
26-12-2014 15:54
(256)
The Science and Public Policy Institute is NOT a peer reviewed journal. It is another climate change denial front group. See http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Science_and_Public_Policy_Institute

mywifesatan wrote:
the fact is 30% of the ipcc report is from NON peer reviewed literature.

The IPCC's Assessment Report adheres to the following:

The IPCC states:
The IPCC process assesses published literature; it does not involve carrying out research. For inclusion in the Second Order Draft (SOD) of a Working Group contribution, literature must be submitted for peer review prior to the finalization of the SOD. In order to be reflected in the AR5, literature must be accepted for publication before the final draft is finalized. Any reference that does not fulfill these criteria was removed from the draft contribution together with the statement(s) that it supports

http://www.ipcc.ch/activities/activities.shtml

mywifesatan wrote:
The ipcc report is only suitable to clean someones behind after a bm...

You need to clean up your act. I had hoped not to have to debate grade school children using scatological references and potty humor.

mywifesatan wrote:
Sea level rise has not been covered in a ethical way by anybody. Gmsl is very difficult to obtain but very easy to manipulate. the studies in general grossly overestimate seal level rise rate.

Substantiate this claim. The Colorado University Sea Level Research Group have been regarded as the world's leading expert source on global sea level measurement for years. Professor Morner, on the other hand:

Wikipedia, speaking of Nils-Axel Morner, said:

Views on sea level change

Mörner disagrees with the view of future rise in sea level caused by global warming. Mörner's self-published 2007 20-page booklet The Greatest Lie Ever Told, refers to his belief that observational records of sea levels for the past 300 years that show variations - ups and downs, but no significant trend. This contrasts with the usual view that sea level rise has been occurring at 2–3 mm/yr over the last century. Mörner asserts that satellite altimetry data indicate a mean rise in the order of 1.0 mm/yr from 1986 to 1996, whereas most studies find a value around 3 mm/yr.

Mörner believes that sea level rise will not exceed 200 mm, within a range of either +100±100 mm or +50±150 mm based on satellite data over the last 40 years and observational records over the last 300 years. In 2004 the president of INQUA wrote that INQUA did not subscribe to Mörner's views on climate change.

In 2000 he launched an international sea level research project in the Maldives which claims to demonstrate an absence of signs of any on-going sea level rise. Despite President Gayoom speaking in the past about the impending dangers to his country, the Maldives, Mörner concluded that the people of the Maldives have in the past survived a higher sea level about 50–60 cm and there is evidence of a significant sea level fall in the last 30 years in that Indian Ocean area. However, these conclusions were disputed by due to lack of known mechanism for a fall in sea level and lack of supporting evidence.

In an interview in June, 2007, Mörner described research he had done in the Maldives that had been reported in the documentary Doomsday Called Off. Specifically, he mentioned a tree he had discovered growing close to the shoreline as evidence to support his claim that sea level had actually fallen rather than risen. He also alleged that the tree had been deliberately destroyed by a group of Australian researchers who were promoting the IPCC view that sea level was rising.

Mörner's claim that sea levels are not rising has been criticised for ignoring correctly calibrated satellite altimeter records, all of which show that sea levels are rising.

Views on dowsing

Mörner has written a number of works claiming to provide theoretical support for dowsing. He was elected "Deceiver of the year" by Föreningen Vetenskap och Folkbildning in 1995 for "organizing university courses about dowsing...". In 1997 James Randi asked him to claim the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, making a controlled experiment to prove that dowsing works. Mörner declined the offer.

Involvement with Copernicus Publications

Main article: Pattern Recognition in Physics

In March 2013, open-access scientific publisher Copernicus Publications began publishing Pattern Recognition in Physics, of which Mörner was the co-editor-in-chief, along with Sid-Ali Ouadfeul. The journal was originally supposed to publish general physics-related research, but a study was nevertheless published in the journal in which the authors stated they "doubt the continued, even accelerated, warming as claimed by the IPCC project." Due to both this study and what he called the "nepotistic" appointment of other scientists to the editorial board by Morner and Ouadfeul, Copernicus' managing director Martin Rasmussen terminated the journal in January 2014. In March 2014 Ouadfeul reopened the journal under a different publisher.

References

http://nonuclear.se/waste2007morner

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0958493042000242936 "The Maldives project: a future free from sea‐level flooding" in Contemporary South Asia, 22 October 2010

"Årets förvillare 1995(vof.se)". Retrieved 2009-04-01. Till Årets förvillare 1995 utsågs docent Nils-Axel Mörner vid Stockholms universitet. Han har anordnat universitetskurser om slagrutor där studenterna pådyvlas sedan länge motbevisade myter i stället för att få stifta bekantskap med den moderna vetenskapliga kunskapen inom området. Han har därigenom sett till att man inte ens vid universitetet går fri från grova förvanskningar av vetenskaplig metodik.

Manne, Rolf (2007). "Klockan som slagruta" (3–7). Folkvett.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/7438683/rising-credulity.thtml

Cliff, Ollier (September 2007). "Review of 'The Greatest Lie Ever Told'". New Concepts in Globa Techtonics Newsletter (morner at pog.nu) 44: 55–7. Retrieved 2012-05-17.

"New Zealanders being misled by unfounded claims about sea level rises". Sci-tech Monday. Scoop Independent News. 6 August 2007.

"Sea Level Changes in the Past, Present and in the Near-Future Global Aspects Observations versus Models". IGCP Project No. 437 Puglia 2003 - Final Conference. February 10, 2005.

Mörner (February 9, 2005). "The expected sea level changes in the next century". Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution, Research Topics (RT) (5). Archived from the original on January 29, 2003.

Mörner, Nils-Axel (2004). "Estimating future sea level changes from past records". Global and Planetary Change 40 (1–2): 49–54. doi:10.1016/S0921-8181(03)00097-3.

"Clague, John J. (Letter written to Yuri Osipov, President of the Russian Academy of Sciences)]". July 21, 2004. Retrieved December 14, 2011.

[[Maumoon Abdul Gayoom|Gayoom, Maumoon Abdul]] (2006-01-06). "Address by his Excellency Mr. Maumoon Abdul Gahoom, President of the Republic of Maldives, at the nineteenth special session of the United Nations General Assembly for the purpose of an overall review and appraisal of the implementation of agenda 21–24 June 1997".

Mörner, Nils-Axel; Tooley, Michael; Possnert, Göran (2004). "New perspectives for the future of the Maldives". Global and Planetary Change 40 (1–2): 177–82. doi:10.1016/S0921-8181(03)00108-5.

Mörner, N.-A.; Laborel J.; Tooley M.; Dawson S.; Allison W.; Islam M.S.; Laborel F.; Collina J.; Rufin C. (February 10, 2005). "Sea Level Changes: The Maldives Project Freed From Condemnation to become Flooded". IGCP Project No. 437 Puglia 2003 - Final Conference.

Woodworth, P.L. (2005). "Have there been large recent sea level changes in the Maldive Islands?". Global and Planetary Change 49 (1–2): 1–18. doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2005.04.001.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xor8w_global-warming-doomsday-called-off_school

http://www.mitosyfraudes.org/Calen7/MornerEng.html

Nerem; et al. (2007). "Comment on "Estimating future sea level change from past records" by Nils-Axel Mörner". Global and Planetary Change 55: 358–60. doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2006.08.002.

http://www.astromeditions.com/library/Bookresp.asp?Book=R56

http://www.randi.org/hotline/1998/0012.html

http://www.vof.se/folkvett/pdf/1997-2-s12.pdf[dead link]

Stokstad, Erik (17 January 2014). "Alleging 'Malpractice' With Climate Skeptic Papers, Publisher Kills Journal". Science Insider. Retrieved 11 February 2014.

You're developing quite a knack for identifying exceptional sources.
Edited on 26-12-2014 16:17
04-02-2015 03:09
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
Are there any other large scale scientific investigations regarding the rise of sea level? Some groups say the sea level is rising, some say nothing to worry about. Can it really be attributed to melting of ice on the polar ice caps?
04-02-2015 06:38
(256)
Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sea_level_rise
05-02-2015 03:23
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
Abraham3 wrote:
Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sea_level_rise

Nice reply for you there brother, pointing me to wikipedia. Anybody here who has firsthand experience with sea level rise?

I remember in my undergrad years, I had this instructor who told the class that he can attest to the rise in sea level. They had a house near the sea and and water reaches sides of the wall of their house. I don't know why built a house in such a location that can be reached by seawater, but he said the level of the water during the past years has indeed risen based on the height on the wall of their house. Probably a single hollowblock in height. At least that's what he told us.
05-02-2015 08:03
orogenicman
★☆☆☆☆
(57)
Does this help?

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html
06-02-2015 13:11
(256)
I guess it did.

PS, GreyViper. If you go to the Wikipedia article to which I linked, you will find a section at the bottom labeled REFERENCES. There you will find an extensive list of links that will take you to external sources, many of which are peer reviewed scientific publications. Those references sources fully support the claims, comments and observations of the Wikipedia article.

Your objection to Wikipedia does not hold up.
17-02-2015 17:53
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
Abraham3 wrote:
I guess it did.

PS, GreyViper. If you go to the Wikipedia article to which I linked, you will find a section at the bottom labeled REFERENCES. There you will find an extensive list of links that will take you to external sources, many of which are peer reviewed scientific publications. Those references sources fully support the claims, comments and observations of the Wikipedia article.

Your objection to Wikipedia does not hold up.

My apologies, I did not really objected in that hard way. But yeah, there are good contributions t0 the page regarding the topic.
22-02-2015 02:59
DesertphileProfile picture☆☆☆☆☆
(33)
Well golly, let's see. A Creationist who believing in dowsing said that sea levels are not rising. Meanwhile, NOAA, NASA, WMO, and the USA Pentagon published evidence showing sea levels are not only rising, but the rate is increasing. Whom to believe..... someone who believes in magic, or all of the world's experts in the subject?
11-10-2015 19:32
Madison
☆☆☆☆☆
(22)
New data coming in showing that sea level rise is accelerating. In 2015 we have seen about 1 cm of sea level rise. That is 3 times as much as the rate since the 1990's.

Also: Look at this new study: https://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/press-releases/burning-all-fossil-energy-would-raise-sea-level-by-more-than-50-meters-2013-and-eliminate-all-ice-of-antarctica

Worth rethinking your statement, mywifesatan?
11-10-2015 23:52
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
The complete melting of Greenland is expected to raise sea levels some 20 feet.

The complete melting of Antarctica is expected to raise sea levels some 200 feet.

I guess that means when the time comes, Atlanta, Georgia (USA), and Paris, France, will be prime ocean front.

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
12-10-2015 06:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
trafn wrote:
The complete melting of Greenland is expected to raise sea levels some 20 feet.

The complete melting of Antarctica is expected to raise sea levels some 200 feet.

I guess that means when the time comes, Atlanta, Georgia (USA), and Paris, France, will be prime ocean front.

Logically, if you believe this, then you will expect sea levels to decrease when you learn that the Greenland Ice Sheet is growing in volume, yes? Maybe this explains why the Maldives haven't been inundated whatsoever.

Yep, sea level doesn't seem to be rising and, as far as anyone knows, it could be lowering right now.

The Maldives. The proof is right there.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-10-2015 10:47
EarthlingProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(107)
Coral atolls prove nothing, apart from the fact that they keep pace with SLR, with or without military bases built on them.

Not one of the over 1,200 islands in the Maldives has disappeared from view, not even the smallest one.
12-10-2015 10:52
(107)
Madison wrote:
New data coming in showing that sea level rise is accelerating. In 2015 we have seen about 1 cm of sea level rise. That is 3 times as much as the rate since the 1990's.
Even if it's true, a one year anomaly proves nothing, so it's best not to conclude it to be the new normal.

Beware jumping to conclusions.

"We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science." John Christy
12-10-2015 12:49
(14389)
Earthling wrote: Coral atolls prove nothing,

Oh yes they most certainly do.

Coral atolls cannot cannot lift air bases that sit atop them. If sea level is not changing noticeably relative to atoll air bases then the sea level is not noticeably changing.

Midway Atoll 1941 (looking from east to west).

Look at it today. Elevation is still what it was back then. Notice, it's all still there
(Google: 28.207875, -177.332741)

Earthling wrote:
Not one of the over 1,200 islands in the Maldives has disappeared from view, not even the smallest one.

Yes, that is what we should expect when the ocean level isn't changing as far as anyone can tell.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-10-2015 13:03
(107)
There is no difference between coral atolls with military bases on them or coral atolls overbuilt with airports, hotels and private dwellings.
12-10-2015 13:17
(14389)
Earthling wrote:
There is no difference between coral atolls with military bases on them or coral atolls overbuilt with airports, hotels and private dwellings.

OK.

12-10-2015 19:36
drm
★☆☆☆☆
(67)
Remember that warming water expands. The warming oceans, as measured in many ways, may cause as much SLR in the short run as melting ice in Antarctica and Greenland. It could be some time before they melt enough to bypass thermal expansion as the larger cause of SLR. But the more they study the melting of Greenland, the fast it seems to be going. New mechanisms that speed up the melting are discovered. Still, in the short run, SLR will not be the most dramatic impact of AGW during most of our lives.
12-10-2015 22:28
(779)
@IBdaMann

Wow! A picture of Midway Island BEFORE all the sea garbage piled up on it! Thanks for the blast from the past!

12-10-2015 23:02
(14389)
drm wrote: The warming oceans, as measured in many ways, may cause as much SLR in the short run as melting ice in Antarctica and Greenland.

Except that the oceans aren't warming as far as anyone can tell, which would explain why ocean water isn't expanding, and thus the ocean isn't rising, as far as anyone can tell.

As far as anyone knows, the average ocean temperature could be cooling right now, which means as far as anyone knows, ocean water might be contracting right now, which means as far as anyone knows, the oceans might be lowering right now.

Due to ice volume growth in the Greenland ice sheet, and ice volume growth in Antarctica, perhaps we should be expecting the ocean levels to decrease.

13-10-2015 11:55
(107)
drm wrote:
Remember that warming water expands. The warming oceans, as measured in many ways, may cause as much SLR in the short run as melting ice in Antarctica and Greenland. It could be some time before they melt enough to bypass thermal expansion as the larger cause of SLR. But the more they study the melting of Greenland, the fast it seems to be going. New mechanisms that speed up the melting are discovered. Still, in the short run, SLR will not be the most dramatic impact of AGW during most of our lives.
You're going to be very disappointed, because there will be no "dramatic impacts of AGW during" the lives of anyone currently living.

"We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science." John Christy
13-10-2015 12:02
(107)
trafn wrote:
@IBdaMann

Wow! A picture of Midway Island BEFORE all the sea garbage piled up on it! Thanks for the blast from the past!
What sea garbage are you referring to?

13-10-2015 18:24
drm
★☆☆☆☆
(67)
You're going to be very disappointed, because there will be no "dramatic impacts of AGW during" the lives of anyone currently living.

That's stated with great certainty. Are you sure? Plenty of people currently living will live to the end of this century. It's possible that it already has dramatically affected some people, but attribution at this point is still not highly certain. But the way attribution works is that it is backward looking. A good example of that was how the agency tasked with identifying recessions didn't classify the 2008 crash until a couple of years later, when they could clearly look at the economic trends that resulted. Since climatic trends take a lot longer, a few decades, clearly identified impacts of AGW will probably occur 20-30 years after those events occur. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people have already been dramatically impacted, but I'm not certain of it. That will take more time. Whether I will be around in 20-30 years time is speculative since I will be just a bit past expected lifespans at that point.

On the other hand, maybe you don't think there will be impacts because humanity will rise up and stop emitting greenhouse gases. But somehow, I don't think that is what you're suggesting.
13-10-2015 19:28
(779)
@Earthling - Wow, thank you for that beautiful, recent photo of Midway Island (or at least one part of it). Actually, after making my prior post, I knew right away that you'd be asking about this. So, after logging off from this website, I hopped on a plane, flew to Midway Island, and I picked up ALL that nasty garbage I had mentioned. If you look closely, down near the lower left edge of the photo you posted, I think you can actually see me picking up the very last bits.

Of course, you chose to only show a photo of the airstrip portion of the island (cherry picking?). You might wanna be sure I didn't miss anything on the other parts of the atoll:

Midway Atoll - Pollution

Edited on 13-10-2015 19:29
13-10-2015 22:59
(107)
drm wrote:That's stated with great certainty. Are you sure?
Absolutely guaranteed.
drm wrote:Plenty of people currently living will live to the end of this century.
Only 8% of the global population is over 65.
drm wrote:It's possible that it already has dramatically affected some people, but attribution at this point is still not highly certain. But the way attribution works is that it is backward looking.
It's not too easy to look forward with any certainty.Ö¿Ö
drm wrote:A good example of that was how the agency tasked with identifying recessions didn't classify the 2008 crash until a couple of years later, when they could clearly look at the economic trends that resulted. Since climatic trends take a lot longer, ..............
I'm still waiting for the 50 million climate refugees promised by the UN for 2010.

14-10-2015 01:04
(779)
@Earthling (a.k.a. - my pretty little Snowflake Earthling) - I know you think you are 100% correct about AGW and M2C2 (man made climate change). But given that when you are 100% certain is when you are most likely 100% wrong (attribution: trafn!), what if you're even just partly wrong and some of the things about AGW or M2C2 actually do come true?

What would it take - how much death, how much destruction - before you would secede from the state of 100% certainty?

14-10-2015 01:12
drm
★☆☆☆☆
(67)
Earthling wrote:
Absolutely guaranteed.

Then what's the point discussing it any further? You already know what is or isn't going to happen in 100 years.

Earthling wrote:I'm still waiting for the 50 million climate refugees promised by the UN for 2010.

That's why I follow the science instead of the UN.
14-10-2015 01:30
(779)
@drm - perhaps what you fail to realize is that Earthling (a.k.a. - my pretty little Snowflake Earthling) is really only espousing the greater good platform from the National Democratic Socialist Party. By preaching denialism, he and others seek to undermine the United State's power base by convincing its citizens that climate change is a hoax (i.e. - "'If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed" - Adolph Hitler). Thus, while the rest of the world ascends into carbon neutral economies, the U.S. will backslide into a second rate technology nation. Then, Earthling and his NDSP comrades can capture the White House and re-educate us all into proper little socialist.

All hail comrade Earthling!

14-10-2015 02:01
(14389)
drm wrote:That's why I follow the science instead of the UN.

You mean that's why you follow "The Science"

14-10-2015 10:52
(107)
drm wrote:
Earthling wrote:
Absolutely guaranteed.

Then what's the point discussing it any further? You already know what is or isn't going to happen in 100 years.

Earthling wrote:I'm still waiting for the 50 million climate refugees promised by the UN for 2010.

That's why I follow the science instead of the UN.
Are you suggesting that the UN don't base its findings on science?

14-10-2015 11:26
(779)
@Earthling - now come, come my pretty little Snowflake Earthling, when you state I suggest you cease and desist forthwith, do I smell a lawsuit pending?

14-10-2015 11:36
(779)
@Earthling - ah, my pretty little Snowflake Earthling. So what valuable lessen have we learned today from your most recent post: snowflakes have noses!

May I quote you on that for my pending publication on Proof On The Existence of Snowflake Noses in the journal Schnoz!
Edited on 14-10-2015 11:36
14-10-2015 11:44
(779)
@Earthling - oh dear, how cute my pretty little Snowflake Earthling! You completely missed my play on words.

When I used the word lessen, instead of lesson, I was simply making a satirical comment on how you have actually "lessened" our knowledge with your persistent posts.

Join the debate The truth about sea level rise:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
Methane big part of 'alarming' rise in planet-warming gases106-04-2023 21:46
The Weather, Climate Change Are Revealing The Truth Of This Corrupt Society System5010-01-2023 16:48
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact