Remember me
▼ Content

The Sun


The Sun11-08-2018 13:16
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
While off-topic it's still interesting.

Part of the sun erupted on Sept. 1, 1859. English astronomer Richard Carrington noticed a brilliant white solar flare on the sun, brighter than the sunspots he usually observed. Roughly a day later, a blast of charged particles — known as a coronal mass ejection, or CME — arrived at Earth, jostling the planet's magnetic bubble. People as far south as Cuba saw the sky light up with auroras.

This link is to auroras https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/videos/1900055320320888/?t=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/08/09/this-nasa-spacecraft-is-about-to-probe-one-of-earths-scariest-threats-the-sun/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d67e9e38de18&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1
11-08-2018 18:11
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
While off-topic it's still interesting.

Part of the sun erupted on Sept. 1, 1859. English astronomer Richard Carrington noticed a brilliant white solar flare on the sun, brighter than the sunspots he usually observed. Roughly a day later, a blast of charged particles — known as a coronal mass ejection, or CME — arrived at Earth, jostling the planet's magnetic bubble. People as far south as Cuba saw the sky light up with auroras.

This link is to auroras https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/videos/1900055320320888/?t=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/08/09/this-nasa-spacecraft-is-about-to-probe-one-of-earths-scariest-threats-the-sun/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d67e9e38de18&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1


Yup. Auroras are pretty cool. It's amazing how far south (or north for the southern auroras!) they can go sometimes.


The Parrot Killer
01-09-2018 00:19
Wake
★★★★★
(3396)
James___ wrote:
While off-topic it's still interesting.

Part of the sun erupted on Sept. 1, 1859. English astronomer Richard Carrington noticed a brilliant white solar flare on the sun, brighter than the sunspots he usually observed. Roughly a day later, a blast of charged particles — known as a coronal mass ejection, or CME — arrived at Earth, jostling the planet's magnetic bubble. People as far south as Cuba saw the sky light up with auroras.

This link is to auroras https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/videos/1900055320320888/?t=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/08/09/this-nasa-spacecraft-is-about-to-probe-one-of-earths-scariest-threats-the-sun/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d67e9e38de18&wpisrc=nl_az_most&wpmk=1


These flares are caused by a 2,500 times higher interior temperature of the sun than the surface temperature. So they are intrinsically not predictable any more than an evenly heated pan of water can predict where exactly the bubbles of boiling water will erupt.
05-09-2018 11:19
Gamul1
☆☆☆☆☆
(19)
Into the Night wrote:

Yup. Auroras are pretty cool. It's amazing how far south (or north for the southern auroras!) they can go sometimes.


Sadly - its too rare for me to have ever seen an aurora (Boston area). I think a couple of times I have known they might be visible in my area but those coincided with cloud cover to the point of not being able to see anything.

Being able to see them is on my bucket list I hope to do some day. Best chances are in winter in the north but I have not been exactly willing to spend any length of time in the middle of nowhere freezing my butt off on the off chance it might happen.
05-09-2018 17:12
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
Gamul1 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Yup. Auroras are pretty cool. It's amazing how far south (or north for the southern auroras!) they can go sometimes.


Sadly - its too rare for me to have ever seen an aurora (Boston area). I think a couple of times I have known they might be visible in my area but those coincided with cloud cover to the point of not being able to see anything.

Heh. Try Seattle. We have the same problem but even worse. We can get stratus clouds that cover the area for what seems like eight months at a time.

You might try a trip to Norway some time in the winter, or a trip to the Fairbanks area of Alaska. Both locations not only are under the Auroras much of the time, but you can rent a heated room (that is actually just a transparent dome with a bed in it) to watch the Auroras from.

Another option is to take a cruise to Antarctica. You can watch the Aurora Australis from the comfort of a cruise ship deck. Such cruises take a few weeks, leave from Miami, travel down the coast of South America visiting other cool places, and return up the west coast of South America and finish by going through the Panama Canal and sailing back to Miami. Pick a cruise that will be in Antarctica during the new moon. Being at sea makes it nice and dark.

You can even travel to someplace like the Dakotas, or head into Canada somewhere in the midwest. The weather is usually clearer too.

The trick is to get somewhere when the weather is clear, it is close to the new moon, and you are away from city lights. The northern Auroras are always moving, so there is no set place to go see them, but they tend to center around the 67 deg latitude (magnetic) when there is little activity from the Sun. Best viewing is in the winter, when it is darkest at the poles. The Auroras are not as bright as shown in the pictures, which are long exposure images.

Fortunately, we can predict likely Auroral activity much like the weather. NOAA operates the Space Weather Prediction Center at https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/content/tips-viewing-aurora. A map of geomagnetic latitudes for Auroras in the Americas can be found at https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/images/u2/Aurora_Kp_MapNorthAm.png.

Gamul1 wrote:
Being able to see them is on my bucket list I hope to do some day.

Find a place outside of the protective cloud cover of Boston, away from city lights, during the winter, near a new moon, use the prediction center to help guide you to a good viewing spot, and trust to luck.
Gamul1 wrote:
Best chances are in winter in the north but I have not been exactly willing to spend any length of time in the middle of nowhere freezing my butt off on the off chance it might happen.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees when it comes to Aurora viewing, but at least there are options for keeping warm during Aurora viewing, despite the cold clear nights of winter.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 05-09-2018 17:18
05-09-2018 17:17
Gamul1
☆☆☆☆☆
(19)
Into the Night wrote:

A whole bunch of good advice....



All good advice. I think it just has to wait until my retirement. I let life get in the way of these kinds of priorities. I want it to come to me (highly unlikely given my location). Poor excuse - but its all I have.

Thanks though for the thoughtful reply.
05-09-2018 17:25
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
Gamul1 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

A whole bunch of good advice....



All good advice. I think it just has to wait until my retirement. I let life get in the way of these kinds of priorities. I want it to come to me (highly unlikely given my location). Poor excuse - but its all I have.

Thanks though for the thoughtful reply.


If you get lucky, a simple trip up into New Hampshire away from the city lights on a clear night with no moon might be enough. Keep tabs on the prediction center and use the map I referenced for you. That can give you a good date to go. You might not even have to travel north of Manchester, although once north of Concord you do reduce the city light problem a lot. Say hello to Nashua if you pass by for me. I used to work there.


The Parrot Killer
06-09-2018 13:12
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Gamul1 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

A whole bunch of good advice....



All good advice. I think it just has to wait until my retirement. I let life get in the way of these kinds of priorities. I want it to come to me (highly unlikely given my location). Poor excuse - but its all I have.

Thanks though for the thoughtful reply.



..Maybe one day you could visit Senja, Norway ? That's what I plan on doing.

https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzK13BysrHgiCxe9h2cGnO1BmjFx1sOvrlSKjvmRFLfaA%3AAdwWv5FMZroPRVsX-rlRhO4xAlj7fzzLxSohOFHuk9DurQ
06-09-2018 13:23
Gamul1
☆☆☆☆☆
(19)
James___ wrote:

..Maybe one day you could visit Senja, Norway ? That's what I plan on doing.

https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzK13BysrHgiCxe9h2cGnO1BmjFx1sOvrlSKjvmRFLfaA%3AAdwWv5FMZroPRVsX-rlRhO4xAlj7fzzLxSohOFHuk9DurQ


Yes - I think if we're going to do it, going to some place like Norway, which both you and ITN suggested, makes sense. Probably more to do there for fun than northern Canada in case the lights dont show up.

Can't be done short term right now as I have kids in or about to go to college. Funds are tight for a little while. But I think it might be doable in a few years.
06-09-2018 18:39
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
Gamul1 wrote:
James___ wrote:

..Maybe one day you could visit Senja, Norway ? That's what I plan on doing.

https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzK13BysrHgiCxe9h2cGnO1BmjFx1sOvrlSKjvmRFLfaA%3AAdwWv5FMZroPRVsX-rlRhO4xAlj7fzzLxSohOFHuk9DurQ


Yes - I think if we're going to do it, going to some place like Norway, which both you and ITN suggested, makes sense. Probably more to do there for fun than northern Canada in case the lights dont show up.

Can't be done short term right now as I have kids in or about to go to college. Funds are tight for a little while. But I think it might be doable in a few years.


Heh. You might be right! You might get lucky though and see them anyway, right near your own neighborhood. You will have to get away from the city lights to see them though.


The Parrot Killer
06-09-2018 21:55
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Gamul1 wrote:
James___ wrote:

..Maybe one day you could visit Senja, Norway ? That's what I plan on doing.

https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzK13BysrHgiCxe9h2cGnO1BmjFx1sOvrlSKjvmRFLfaA%3AAdwWv5FMZroPRVsX-rlRhO4xAlj7fzzLxSohOFHuk9DurQ


Yes - I think if we're going to do it, going to some place like Norway, which both you and ITN suggested, makes sense. Probably more to do there for fun than northern Canada in case the lights dont show up.

Can't be done short term right now as I have kids in or about to go to college. Funds are tight for a little while. But I think it might be doable in a few years.



...itn knows I'm biased towards Norway because I lived there when he was a kid. With visiting some place like Senja it'd probably be more like slowing down and just enjoying the view. It is about 69° N. Latitude. The Arctic Circle is 66.5625° N. latitude.
..The link is what itn refers to as a Holy Link. I say it's a link to useful information. Different perspectives. The city is Aalesund, Norway and it's live cameras. During the day you can see it's not like an American city. It's where I lived. The 2 cameras Fjellstua and Brosundet.

https://www.smp.no/webkamera/
Edited on 06-09-2018 21:57
06-09-2018 22:00
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
At the moment this live


https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/videos/1652132904913850/?notif_id=1536182127412245&notif_t=live_video
06-09-2018 22:10
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
Gamul1 wrote:
James___ wrote:

..Maybe one day you could visit Senja, Norway ? That's what I plan on doing.

https://www.facebook.com/visitsenja/?fb_dtsg_ag=AdzK13BysrHgiCxe9h2cGnO1BmjFx1sOvrlSKjvmRFLfaA%3AAdwWv5FMZroPRVsX-rlRhO4xAlj7fzzLxSohOFHuk9DurQ


Yes - I think if we're going to do it, going to some place like Norway, which both you and ITN suggested, makes sense. Probably more to do there for fun than northern Canada in case the lights dont show up.

Can't be done short term right now as I have kids in or about to go to college. Funds are tight for a little while. But I think it might be doable in a few years.



...itn knows I'm biased towards Norway because I lived there when he was a kid. With visiting some place like Senja it'd probably be more like slowing down and just enjoying the view. It is about 69° N. Latitude. The Arctic Circle is 66.5625° N. latitude.
..The link is what itn refers to as a Holy Link. I say it's a link to useful information. Different perspectives. The city is Aalesund, Norway and it's live cameras. During the day you can see it's not like an American city. It's where I lived. The 2 cameras Fjellstua and Brosundet.

https://www.smp.no/webkamera/


Who knows where you lived? You keep lying about where you lived.

No, I don't consider this a Holy Link. You are not using it as your argument.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 06-09-2018 22:11
06-09-2018 22:52
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Into the Night wrote:


Who knows where you lived? You keep lying about where you lived.

No, I don't consider this a Holy Link. You are not using it as your argument.



...Talk about a broken record that no one likes listening to. Attacking me for being 1/2 Norwegian is what a bigot does.
..And you might as well say I'm lying about having a Norwegian immigrant for a father. Anything to spread your hate. And anymore itn I am really sick and tired of being given crap for being the son of an immigrant. And to think you can't be banned for being an open bigot.
Edited on 06-09-2018 23:40
07-09-2018 00:05
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...itn,
..This sucks. A French singer covering the song of an American singer with a song about something Spanish. Maybe you can insult this as well ? We need to put a stop to this crap. Vrais ? Il est vrais mon ami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-aTe77bkA


..@All, with the scientist who might be doing the groundwork for the experiment I'd like to see tried immigrated from Argentina. He knows I am the son of an immigrant. One thing I did mention to him is that people will bring up immigration issues but would it be possible for me and him to have an interest in Atmospheric Chemistry because there is something that we both like about it.

And itn right now I would like to be the fock out of you. I am that pissed off. I think you deserve to have your ass beat.
Edited on 07-09-2018 01:01
07-09-2018 06:02
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...itn,
..Do you know what is hilarious ? Your friend who owns this forum is Danish. He is Scandinavian. Yet he supports your bigotry against a Scandinavian. Why I think this is your forum. As you say, both of you prefer logic and philosophy which is as you believe. Climate change is the wrong subject for either of you to be pursuing yet here is this forum for philosophy to be discussed. And at the same time anyone who is Scandinavian can be ridiculed for not being honest like an American.
..See where I'm going with this ? I'm a liar because of my heritage (1/2 Norwegian) and where I've lived (Scandinavia like the owner of this forum) while you are honest because you are here to discuss philosophy and how science can be falsified as it is a religion that people like me worship.
..If Scandinavians are liars then who owns this forum is a liar and philosophy states that this forum is a lie as well. Kind of why I think it's your forum itn.
..A definition for you.

de·ceit
dəˈsēt/
noun
noun: deceit; plural noun: deceits

the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth.

..It's just that litesong got banned for posting about climate change still comes off wrong. She was posting something relevant. Then again she also said that you go to Pow Wows in Oregon. I think that's the real reason you banned her. She made known information about you that you didn't want known.
07-09-2018 06:04
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:


Who knows where you lived? You keep lying about where you lived.

No, I don't consider this a Holy Link. You are not using it as your argument.



...Talk about a broken record that no one likes listening to. Attacking me for being 1/2 Norwegian is what a bigot does.

I didn't attack you for being Norwegian. I attacked you for lying. I have no idea if you are Norwegian or not. Frankly, I don't believe anything about what you say you are anymore.
James___ wrote:
..And you might as well say I'm lying about having a Norwegian immigrant for a father. Anything to spread your hate.

And anymore itn I am really sick and tired of being given crap for being the son of an immigrant. And to think you can't be banned for being an open bigot.

Paranoid.


The Parrot Killer
07-09-2018 06:08
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...deleted nonsensical rant...
..@All, with the scientist who might be doing the groundwork for the experiment I'd like to see tried immigrated from Argentina.

Why don't you conduct the experiment yourself? You keep talking about this mysterious 'experiment' but never perform it nor mention what your theory is that you are testing.
James___ wrote:
He knows I am the son of an immigrant.
I could care less. I don't believe anything about what you say you are anymore.
James___ wrote:
One thing I did mention to him is that people will bring up immigration issues but would it be possible for me and him to have an interest in Atmospheric Chemistry because there is something that we both like about it.

Which has nothing to do with this mysterious 'experiment' of yours.
James___ wrote:
And itn right now I would like to be the fock out of you. I am that pissed off. I think you deserve to have your ass beat.

Join the club. You have no idea what you're dealing with.


The Parrot Killer
07-09-2018 06:11
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...itn,
..Do you know what is hilarious ? Your friend who owns this forum is Danish. He is Scandinavian.

That he is. He also has done a wonderful job constructing and maintaining this forum.
James___ wrote:
Yet he supports your bigotry against a Scandinavian. Why I think this is your forum. As you say, both of you prefer logic and philosophy which is as you believe. Climate change is the wrong subject for either of you to be pursuing yet here is this forum for philosophy to be discussed. And at the same time anyone who is Scandinavian can be ridiculed for not being honest like an American.
..See where I'm going with this ? I'm a liar because of my heritage (1/2 Norwegian) and where I've lived (Scandinavia like the owner of this forum) while you are honest because you are here to discuss philosophy and how science can be falsified as it is a religion that people like me worship.
..If Scandinavians are liars then who owns this forum is a liar and philosophy states that this forum is a lie as well. Kind of why I think it's your forum itn.

I have no bigotry against Scandinavian. I just think you're a liar.

No, it's not my forum.
James___ wrote:
..A definition for you.

de·ceit
dəˈsēt/
noun
noun: deceit; plural noun: deceits

the action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth.

..It's just that litesong got banned for posting about climate change still comes off wrong. She was posting something relevant. Then again she also said that you go to Pow Wows in Oregon. I think that's the real reason you banned her. She made known information about you that you didn't want known.


You really are paranoid.


The Parrot Killer
07-09-2018 12:53
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...You're a bigot itn. Attacking me because I lived where my father
was from is bigotry. You're attacking me because he wasn't an American.
Yep, you said I lied about living in Norway or even Seattle. You're educated.
You do know what you are doing. A lot of people live in Seattle just as
Norwegians are known for living in Norway. Why would living in either
place be an issue ? Because my father wasn't from the U.S. like you.


Definition of bigotry
plural bigotries
1 : obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigotry


...You fit the definition itn. As you say, we have to define things. Bigotry
has already been defined.
Edited on 07-09-2018 13:49
07-09-2018 15:36
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...You're a bigot itn. Attacking me because I lived where my father
was from is bigotry.

No, it isn't. I didn't attack you because you lived where your father was either. Paranoia.
James___ wrote:
You're attacking me because he wasn't an American.
No. Paranoia.
James___ wrote:
Yep, you said I lied about living in Norway or even Seattle.
You lie about a lot of things. Telling you that isn't bigotry.
James___ wrote:
You're educated. You do know what you are doing.
That I do.
James___ wrote:
A lot of people live in Seattle just as Norwegians are known for living in Norway.
So?
James___ wrote:
Why would living in either place be an issue?
It isn't. Where YOU say YOU live is the issue.
James___ wrote:
Because my father wasn't from the U.S. like you.
So?
James___ wrote:

Definition of bigotry
plural bigotries
1 : obstinate or intolerant devotion to one's own opinions and prejudices

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigotry


...You fit the definition itn. As you say, we have to define things. Bigotry
has already been defined.

I've a better one. Bigotry is a compositional error involving people as the class.

Remember, dictionaries do not define words.


The Parrot Killer
07-09-2018 17:07
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...You're a bigot itn. Plain and simple. Where I either lived or have lived is not the issue. Where would you expect a Norwegian to live ? If it's not Norway then I guess that would be your issue. You're a bigot because you have an issue with a Norwegian moving his family to Norway. Maybe we wouldn't have moved there if it weren't for bigots like you having an issue with a Norwegian having a family in the U.S. with an American woman. Lots of bigots in America just like you. And ti is an issue. You're from the U.S. just as both of your parents were. I need to understand why you're better than me. That's bigotry no matter how you look at it.
07-09-2018 20:48
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...You're a bigot itn. Plain and simple. Where I either lived or have lived is not the issue.

You made it the issue. You made it the issue by lying about where you live.
James___ wrote:
Where would you expect a Norwegian to live?

Anywhere they like.
James___ wrote:
If it's not Norway then I guess that would be your issue.
You're a bigot because you have an issue with a Norwegian moving his family to Norway. Maybe we wouldn't have moved there if it weren't for bigots like you having an issue with a Norwegian having a family in the U.S. with an American woman. Lots of bigots in America just like you. And ti is an issue. You're from the U.S. just as both of your parents were. I need to understand why you're better than me. That's bigotry no matter how you look at it.

Paranoid.


The Parrot Killer
07-09-2018 21:38
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
...You're a bigot itn. Plain and simple. Where I either lived or have lived is not the issue.

You made it the issue. You made it the issue by lying about where you live.



...itn, the other people in this forum do not understand that this is the reason you are here. You're a bigot and you need willing victims. You get off on it.
07-09-2018 22:47
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...@All, I'm going to see about staying out of this forum. But as itn has shown even when new people come in here he'll start trolling them as well.
08-09-2018 00:00
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
...You're a bigot itn. Plain and simple. Where I either lived or have lived is not the issue.

You made it the issue. You made it the issue by lying about where you live.



...itn, the other people in this forum do not understand that this is the reason you are here. You're a bigot and you need willing victims. You get off on it.

Paranoid.


The Parrot Killer
08-09-2018 00:00
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...@All, I'm going to see about staying out of this forum. But as itn has shown even when new people come in here he'll start trolling them as well.

Seeya. Go be paranoid in the kiddie pool somewhere.


The Parrot Killer
08-09-2018 01:17
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
...@All, I'm going to see about staying out of this forum. But as itn has shown even when new people come in here he'll start trolling them as well.

Seeya. Go be paranoid in the kiddie pool somewhere.



...This is what itn is thinking when he see's someone post something, he calls it a phallusy; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqgqCZb6dLk
he just can't get enough
itn, you go Dog!!
Edited on 08-09-2018 01:18




Join the debate The Sun:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Sun II1718-09-2018 22:54
Red Sun Images in England323-10-2017 18:54
ITS THE SUN, STUPID3306-09-2016 02:45
CO2 makes Earth much cooler than the Moon because it blocks the Sun's IR1610-02-2016 12:50
CO2 blocks the Sun's incoming short wave and blocks Earth's outgoing long wave, so increasing it1208-01-2016 14:32
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact