Remember me
▼ Content

The seas are saving us from runaway global warming, but for how long?

The seas are saving us from runaway global warming, but for how long?15-03-2019 00:40
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/14/global-warming-earths-oceans-saving-us-absurd-heat/3165920002/
15-03-2019 01:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
USA Today. Another piece of fake news.

It is time now for my treatise again on what happens when someone like this tries to add additional energy out of nothing but Magick Holy Gas (in other words energy from nothing!).

Ignoring the 1st law of thermodynamics like this is also ignoring the law of energy conservation. To ignore these laws creates a perpetual motion machine of the 1st order.

Such a machine, if it existed, would utterly destroy the Earth. It is ALWAYS a runaway reaction.

Let's say a body has a total energy of 1. We will use an arbitrary unit here instead of watts or anything. Our starting amount of energy is simply 1.

But now, additional energy comes out of nowhere and adds to this energy. Let's say its small, like 0.001 unit of energy per hour.

Now we have 1.001 units total. In another hour, we have 1.002 units. After 1000 hours, we will have 2 units of energy. Another 1000 hours, we have 3 units. This goes on until our body has accumulated so much energy it is vaporized. End of experiment.

This is assuming a constant supply of additional energy. Does the same thing happen if it is, say, cut in half each time?

Yes. As long as the amount added is greater than zero, a point will always be reached that vaporizes the body in question. This is because the amount added is always greater than zero. However small, even if it reducing in value, the added energy is added forever (until the body in question is destroyed).

Let's apply this to CO2, our usual Magick Holy Gas.

X amount of CO2 is the mechanism for adding this additional energy of 0.001 (the actual value doesn't matter, so long as it is greater than zero). This doesn't change regardless of the temperature the body accumulates. The same thing happens. It turns out ANYTHING causing a nonzero value to be added to our body in this way is ALWAYS a runaway reaction.

Fortunately, perpetual motion machines don't exist. The Earth is safe.

It is not possible to create energy out of nothing, fortunately for the Earth (and anywhere else!). It is not possible to construct a perpetual motion machine of the 1st order.

Sometimes, people argue that you can heat the Earth's surface using a colder gas (usually CO2, our typical Magick Holy Gas). This defies the 2nd law of thermodynamics and creates a perpetual motion machine again, this time of the 2nd order.

The same thing will happen. It doesn't matter if you try to heat a warmer body with a colder one, or try to simply create energy out of nothing. the same thing happens.

The whole concept of 'greenhouse gas', if it were actually true, would destroy the Earth as we know it. It would be destroyed quite probably within hours or days. There will be no Earth. Just a very hot gas where the Earth once existed (and us!). It will be destroyed utterly.
15-03-2019 10:05
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
Warming only happens on half the planet, at any given moment in time, the half exposed to the sun. The other half is cooling. The amount of warming and cooling is effected by the seasons. Peak warming only happens during the summer months. Areas of the planet under heavy cloud cover, miss out on some of the warming for that day. Sure, we'll get some uncomfortable hot periods, but, we really have more cooling time, as much of the country has been experiencing lately... The geography of the surface comes in a huge variety, and the solar energy responds differently, depending on the characteristics of the terrain. Even the vast portions covered in water, has huge variations. It's a very complex system, changes all the time. We don't think fast enough to deal with it all at once, computers aren't fast enough to do the work in real time, if everything was taken into consideration. We narrow the scope of what we study, only just as much as we can handle, which excludes quite a lot. Climatology tries to select only those that focus on warming and CO2. Like most every religion, Climatology is for-profit. Churches get a tax-free, non-profit status, yet they have quite a few luxuries, where that donation money would have been better spent helping some misguided soul. Haven't bothered looking in more than a decade, but there was a pretty good size list of churches, with a net-worth in the millions. Trump should pull the non-profit, tax exempt status, since they aren't performing the charity function as much as they should, to justify the status, and our tax dollars are being donated anyway. If the Climatology wasn't receiving government donations, doubt they would exist at all, just not profitable.
15-03-2019 12:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Into the Night wrote: It is time now for my treatise again on what happens when someone like this tries to add additional energy out of nothing but Magick Holy Gas (in other words energy from nothing!).

Thank you. It's always good to get the annual refresher. It reminded me to apply the correct spelling "magick" in the appropriate context.

Into the Night wrote: The whole concept of 'greenhouse gas', if it were actually true, would destroy the Earth as we know it. It would be destroyed quite probably within hours or days. There will be no Earth. Just a very hot gas where the Earth once existed (and us!). It will be destroyed utterly.

... and begs the question why it never happened. The earth has been around a while. I think it was around before the Industrial Revolution. Shouldn't the earth have gone supernova by now?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
15-03-2019 12:35
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/14/global-warming-earths-oceans-saving-us-absurd-heat/3165920002/

The article involves the "ocean acidification" myth. I've already heard it before and I know the ending. It's a great work of fiction.

Dismissed.

Doyle Rice, USA TODAY Published 6:20 p.m. ET March 14, 2019
But there is a cost to the ocean: carbon dioxide dissolved into the sea causes the water to acidify, which limits how shellfish and corals build their skeletons; it also affects the health of other fish and marine species. This process is known as ocean acidification, which is sometimes called the "quiet threat" from climate change.

Here we have a moron who is trying to appear smart and who is desperate to feel important, directing gibberbabble at a target audience of the scientifically illiterate.

Doubly dismissed.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
15-03-2019 18:48
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote: It is time now for my treatise again on what happens when someone like this tries to add additional energy out of nothing but Magick Holy Gas (in other words energy from nothing!).

Thank you. It's always good to get the annual refresher. It reminded me to apply the correct spelling "magick" in the appropriate context.

Into the Night wrote: The whole concept of 'greenhouse gas', if it were actually true, would destroy the Earth as we know it. It would be destroyed quite probably within hours or days. There will be no Earth. Just a very hot gas where the Earth once existed (and us!). It will be destroyed utterly.

... and begs the question why it never happened. The earth has been around a while. I think it was around before the Industrial Revolution. Shouldn't the earth have gone supernova by now?

Yup. But only if water vapor, methane, and CO2 actually does what the Church of Global Warming says it does. It doesn't matter whether they use the Magick Blanket Argument or the Magick Bouncing Photon Argument. Both build perpetual motion machines (just different orders of them).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-03-2019 18:54
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

The article involves the "ocean acidification" myth. I've already heard it before and I know the ending. It's a great work of fiction.

Dismissed.

Doyle Rice, USA TODAY Published 6:20 p.m. ET March 14, 2019
But there is a cost to the ocean: carbon dioxide dissolved into the sea causes the water to acidify, which limits how shellfish and corals build their skeletons; it also affects the health of other fish and marine species. This process is known as ocean acidification, which is sometimes called the "quiet threat" from climate change.

Here we have a moron who is trying to appear smart and who is desperate to feel important, directing gibberbabble at a target audience of the scientifically illiterate.

Doubly dismissed.

People that make these arguments just don't understand the pH scale, the concept of neutralizing an alkaline, what happens to CO2 when it is dissolved in water (think soda) and how little of it actually turns into carbonic acid, the buffering properties of other minerals dissolved in ocean water and that exist on the sea floor, or the concept of scale in the worlds oceans.

In other words, they know almost as much about acid-base chemistry as my cat.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate The seas are saving us from runaway global warming, but for how long?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Ding Dong the Witch is dead. That said queen elizabeth lived long enough to kill Princess Diana first25204-10-2022 18:36
As long as we're talking about scams and climate ...1716-04-2022 20:38
The New Global Saving Storage Currency Project Seeking Investors & Update On The ICO Event005-11-2021 11:21
How long will the dollar last?1830-01-2021 04:30
Doctors to study possible long-term effects on patients that died from COVID-19428-08-2020 06:09
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact