Remember me
▼ Content

The right approach

The right approach16-05-2019 05:49
Tideman
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
We are all running around like chickens, trying to stop Climate Change without any idea of the reality of the current situation. Yes, there is a climate change that is happening, and us humans are being affected by rising sees. storms, droughts et'c and we are lead to believe that it is all our fault.
We think that listening to politicians telling us who to vote for in the next election is all we have to do to fix everything....wrong !!The fact is we have to change the mindset of Fixing Climate Change to Surviving Climate Change.
The climate is ever changing, as much as the Universe is expanding and even though we are told that temperatures have never been higher according to the records means nothing because the records have only been kept for a fraction of time compared to the elapsed time of the planet. The realty is that, yes, we do have to rescue people from low lying islands because the see is rising and yes we do have to be prepared for massive storms and other weather events, because the Climate is changing. Closing down Coal fuel power stations or reducing car emissions is not going to make the slightest difference.
We are all going to have to accept that Climate does change and fluctuate over time and just because it may not happen in our lifetime we have to adjust to the idea of helping people survive during this change.
16-05-2019 07:03
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Tideman wrote:
We are all running around like chickens, trying to stop Climate Change without any idea of the reality of the current situation. Yes, there is a climate change that is happening, and us humans are being affected by rising sees. storms, droughts et'c and we are lead to believe that it is all our fault.
We think that listening to politicians telling us who to vote for in the next election is all we have to do to fix everything....wrong !!The fact is we have to change the mindset of Fixing Climate Change to Surviving Climate Change.
The climate is ever changing, as much as the Universe is expanding and even though we are told that temperatures have never been higher according to the records means nothing because the records have only been kept for a fraction of time compared to the elapsed time of the planet. The realty is that, yes, we do have to rescue people from low lying islands because the see is rising and yes we do have to be prepared for massive storms and other weather events, because the Climate is changing. Closing down Coal fuel power stations or reducing car emissions is not going to make the slightest difference.
We are all going to have to accept that Climate does change and fluctuate over time and just because it may not happen in our lifetime we have to adjust to the idea of helping people survive during this change.

Climates do not change. There are simply different climates. There is no global climate.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
16-05-2019 07:23
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
There is no need to be concerned about the increasing temperature. Its the coming cold we have to be worry about, but we have thousands of years to do so.
16-05-2019 10:35
Tideman
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Thanks for the heads up Parrot...
Can you explain what Climate is?
16-05-2019 11:02
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
Climate is how an individual perceives the surrounding environment. What's 'normal', or comfortable, is subjective. The climate does change, all the time, for some areas, the change is dramatic through out the year, different seasons. The winter can be very cold, spring time, can be wet, summers hot and humid. In an office cubical-type environment, there is usually a lot of fighting over the thermostat settings. Usually a policy is set, and everyone needs to dress appropriately to deal with it. There is no global thermostat, we don't get to select our climate, we do have to dress appropriately. The weatherman can't predict the weather all that accurately in advance, on whether the conditions are favorable. The premise, that climatologists can predict weather a hundred years in the future is nonsense. We don't control weather, we have no control over climate. If some people are worried about predictions and possibilities, they should be working on ways to adapt to them, not wasting time and resources on fighting them.

The oceans aren't rising, coastal/beach erosion is a real thing, natural and normal. Here in Florida, where beach tourism is still a large draw of revenue, we just keep adding fresh sand every year or so, as needed.
16-05-2019 13:32
Tideman
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year. ... The two major causes of global sea level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the ocean (since water expands as it warms) and increased melting of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets.
This will change in time when the poles freeze due to colder influences and draw the sea away from land masses.
16-05-2019 15:53
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14378)
Tideman wrote: We are all running around like chickens, trying to stop Climate Change without any idea of the reality of the current situation.

Like Chicken Little we're running around screaming "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" ... when there's no such thing as the sky falling.

Tideman wrote: Yes, there is a climate change that is happening,

There's no global climate. There's no problem to solve. Forgive me if I don't panic.

Tideman wrote: The fact is we have to change the mindset of Fixing Climate Change to Surviving Climate Change.

That should be easy since there is no Climate Change. It's just a religious myth.

Tideman wrote: The climate is ever changing,

The myth hasn't ever changed.

Tideman wrote: The realty is that, yes, we do have to rescue people from low lying islands because the see is rising

I'll tell you what. You convince people to abandon their beachfront property and I will gladly occupy it.

Tideman wrote: Closing down Coal fuel power stations or reducing car emissions is not going to make the slightest difference.

It most certainly will ... to the economy. It could even be catastrophic.

Tideman wrote: We are all going to have to accept that Climate does change and fluctuate over time

Nope. Count me out. I'm not a member of that religious congregation.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-05-2019 15:57
(14378)
HarveyH55 wrote: Climate is how an individual perceives the surrounding environment.

Exactly. A climate is a subjective human characterization. No data is required.

HarveyH55 wrote: The oceans aren't rising, coastal/beach erosion is a real thing, natural and normal. Here in Florida, where beach tourism is still a large draw of revenue, we just keep adding fresh sand every year or so, as needed.

You're two for two. There are easy things any person can do to verify that the oceans aren't rising at any perceptible rate.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-05-2019 16:00
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Tideman wrote:
humans are being affected by rising sees. storms, droughts et'c ........and we do have to be prepared for massive storms and other weather events, because the Climate is changing.

Thanks for the heads up Tideman.

Can YOU explain THIS?
16-05-2019 16:01
(14378)
Tideman wrote: Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year.

That's a WACKY belief to have. Please tell us why you believe this. I'd like to know if you believe this simply because you were instructed to believe it.

Tideman wrote:... The two major causes of global sea level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the ocean (since water expands as it warms) and increased melting of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets.

So it's your contention that if the earth is cooling then the sea level is lowering due to thermal contraction and decreased melting of land-based ice, yes?

16-05-2019 16:57
(21559)
Tideman wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Parrot...
Can you explain what Climate is?

Usually it's defined something similar to 'prevailing weather over a long time'.

There is no global weather, and 'a long time' is not specified.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 16-05-2019 16:57
16-05-2019 17:03
(21559)
Tideman wrote:
Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year.

It is not possible to measure the global sea level. There is no valid reference point.
Tideman wrote:
... The two major causes of global sea level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the ocean (since water expands as it warms)

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the oceans. We don't have enough thermometers.
Tideman wrote:
and increased melting of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets.

It is not possible to measure the amount of ice on Earth. We don't have enough sounding equipment. You are ignoring glaciers that are increasing, or that winter polar ice extents have been expanding these past few years at both poles. THAT we can see on satellites, and those records are kept at the snow and ice data center in Boulder, CO.
Tideman wrote:
This will change in time when the poles freeze due to colder influences and draw the sea away from land masses.

Freezing or melting seawater does not change the sea level.

The Parrot Killer

16-05-2019 21:35
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Tideman wrote:
humans are being affected by rising sees. storms, droughts et'c ........and we do have to be prepared for massive storms and other weather events, because the Climate is changing.

Can YOU explain THIS?

Hurricane season starts in two weeks... How do you have droughts, during torrential rainfall? I don't prepare for massive storms any more, after the first couple of years in Florida, it just never seemed like worth the hassle. Been here 31 years now, never really needed any of the prep stuff. If you have to evacuate, you can't take much with you. I've never been ordered to evacuate, and they'd have to drag me and my dog out in irons. My chances at home are as good or better than in an over-crowded shelter. Storms in Florida have gotten mild over the past 15 years or so, not worse. We use to get strong thunderstorms, pretty much every afternoon, move through pretty fast, 20 minutes- to maybe an hour. Lot of rain, strong winds, lightning, tornadoes. The rain last longer, quick showers all day, but no strong winds or lightning. Tornadoes are rare, usually kind of weak. Still do some damage, just not the mile long path of complete destruction. Heat? We uses to get honest triple digits every summer. Sometimes weeks at a time. Now the need to use a heat index on TV, to get 'feels like' triple digit day here and there. If you park your car in the sun, and forget to leave a window open a little, it gets hot...
17-05-2019 00:40
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Tideman wrote:

Can YOU explain THIS?

Hurricane season starts in two weeks... How do you have droughts, during torrential rainfall?

Heh. How do you have droughts in Florida?
HarveyH55 wrote:
I don't prepare for massive storms any more, after the first couple of years in Florida, it just never seemed like worth the hassle. Been here 31 years now, never really needed any of the prep stuff.

What?? You don't join the massive panic club at the Home Depot anymore? That's...like...antisocial or something!

HarveyH55 wrote:
If you have to evacuate, you can't take much with you. I've never been ordered to evacuate, and they'd have to drag me and my dog out in irons. My chances at home are as good or better than in an over-crowded shelter. Storms in Florida have gotten mild over the past 15 years or so, not worse. We use to get strong thunderstorms, pretty much every afternoon, move through pretty fast, 20 minutes- to maybe an hour. Lot of rain, strong winds, lightning, tornadoes.

Last time I was in central Florida, several strong thunderstorms moved through. Of course, that was in The Villages. Strange things happen there.
HarveyH55 wrote:
The rain last longer, quick showers all day, but no strong winds or lightning. Tornadoes are rare, usually kind of weak.

Usually embedded in some hurricane passing through. Someone's boat embedded in the billboard sign I saw kinda said it all. Apparently they just left it there.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Still do some damage, just not the mile long path of complete destruction. Heat? We uses to get honest triple digits every summer. Sometimes weeks at a time. Now the need to use a heat index on TV, to get 'feels like' triple digit day here and there. If you park your car in the sun, and forget to leave a window open a little, it gets hot...

The nice thing about Florida vegetation is that a tornado can hit it and nothing much happens to it. Much of the stuff just bends with the wind. Even trailer parks are somewhat protected by these dense wads of vegetation nearby.

Places like The Villages are built better too. They don't get ripped up my the tornadoes and hurricanes. Even in Orlando or down in Miami, buildings and houses are improving their structure.

The Parrot Killer

17-05-2019 04:49
Tideman
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Seems we are all passionate about one thing......survival.
Only the great powers unknown in the universe hold the answers to the final curtain for us all.
In the meantime its fun just chatting away and guessing what may be.
Stay happy guys.
17-05-2019 05:14
Tideman
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
A note for IBdaMann, If all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. Florida would go under as well for the 5th time.
17-05-2019 05:38
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
It would take 13000 years for all of that ice to melt and the temperature is going to be falling a lot sooner than that. The interglacial period will in with in 5000 years. At that time, Canada will be covered with a mile thick ice.
17-05-2019 10:22
(21559)
Tideman wrote:
Seems we are all passionate about one thing......survival.

If that's all you're interested in, sucks to be you. I'll go ahead and do much more than just survive. I travel, I learn, I meet many interesting people, I have many hobbies...I have fun.
Tideman wrote:
Only the great powers unknown in the universe hold the answers to the final curtain for us all.

What those great powers are, what form they take, or whether they exist at all, is just guessing.
Tideman wrote:
In the meantime its fun just chatting away and guessing what may be.
Stay happy guys.

Speculation does seem to be a popular pastime. Keeps 'Vegas making money most of the time anyway!

The Parrot Killer

17-05-2019 10:22
(21559)
Tideman wrote:
A note for IBdaMann, If all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. Florida would go under as well for the 5th time.

Argument from randU fallacy. You are making up numbers again.

The Parrot Killer

17-05-2019 10:24
(21559)
dehammer wrote:
It would take 13000 years for all of that ice to melt and the temperature is going to be falling a lot sooner than that. The interglacial period will in with in 5000 years. At that time, Canada will be covered with a mile thick ice.

Who cares? Are you going to live 5000 years? Man...THAT won't be pretty!

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate The right approach:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Did A Socialist Country Take The Right Approach?229-04-2020 23:37
Why we won't approach the real reason behind climate change.6819-08-2019 07:18
Would the "Red Team" Approach Be An Improvement Over Peer Review?3128-04-2017 17:37
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact