Remember me
▼ Content

the difference between light and heat

the difference between light and heat08-01-2016 18:37
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
I think, a lot of people are confused of light and heat. When most people hear the word infrared, they immediately think of heat. Infrared is electromagnetic radiation. In layman's terms, electromagnetic radiation is light. Light is not heat. Light and heat are completely different kinds of energy.

If light is absorbed by a material, light is converted into heat. When a cooler thing emits infrared radiation at a hotter thing, does the temperature of the hotter thing increase? No. Because a hotter thing reflects incoming infrared radiation that have weaker longer wavelengths than what itself already emits, just like a mirror reflects incoming light back.

For example, if two hot light bulbs of equal temperature are placed next to each other, both light bulbs emit infrared radiation at each other, but neither light bulb will change its temperature.

This is why, no matter how much infrared radiation greenhouse gases in the cooler air emit at the warmer surface, the temperature of the surface does not increase. This is why, the greenhouse effect theory is not correct.

Indeed, if a cooler thing can heat, or in a layman's terms, increase the temperature of a warmer thing, then free energy would have been created out of nothing and a Nobel prize would be in order.

This is junk science told by NASA at the order of the draconian Obama administration.

https://youtu.be/ZzCA60WnoMk
Edited on 08-01-2016 19:01
08-01-2016 19:48
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Tai Hai Chen wrote: I think, a lot of people are confused of light and heat.

Who do you imagine is confused by the two?

Tai Hai Chen wrote: When most people hear the word infrared, they immediately think of heat.

When people hear "visible light" they often think of colors.

Tai Hai Chen wrote: Infrared is electromagnetic radiation. In layman's terms, electromagnetic radiation is light. Light is not heat. Light and heat are completely different kinds of energy.

Thank you for the primer.

Tai Hai Chen wrote: If light is absorbed by a material, light is converted into heat.

Not exactly. It is converted to thermal energy.

Heat is a flowing of thermal energy.

Tai Hai Chen wrote:For example, if two hot light bulbs of equal temperature are placed next to each other, both light bulbs emit infrared radiation at each other, but neither light bulb will change its temperature.

You picked a very bad example. Are the very hot light bulbs "on" and being powered or are they just very hot after being turned off?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
Join the debate the difference between light and heat:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Some can take the heat, and214-10-2023 13:26
LOL, Anheuser Busch is shutting down plants and laying off employees due to the woke fag bud light ads003-07-2023 03:36
Quantum Light Experiment Proves Photosynthesis Starts with a Single Photon1522-06-2023 23:00
Faggy/trannie advertising scheme cost Bud Light stock 27 billion so far001-06-2023 04:18
Traffic light joke of the day225-05-2023 12:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact