Remember me
▼ Content

The 2 minute warning clock on climate change

Page 2 of 2<12
08-10-2015 22:12
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Hi Earthling,

It seems IBdaMann is suggesting in his post, above, that you and I are on the same page regarding man-made climate change. If so, I apologize for my misinterpretation of your prior posts.

To see if we really do share at least some common ground, here are a few of my positions:

1. I believe that man-made climate change does exist, and has so since the mid-1800's.

2. I believe that prior events like acid-rain and the damaged ozone hole are proof that people can detrimentally influence the atmosphere as well as both the weather and the climate which it (the atmosphere) produces. Our response to these two past issues also proves to me that we can, when so inclined to do so, correct at least some of our mistakes.

3. I believe that there are many crucial tipping points of no return involved in man-made climate change, the most important of these being the event which occurred at Spindletop, Texas, at 10:30 a.m. on January 10th, 1901. This particular tipping point produced a radical and abrupt change to our values, which may make it the most difficult tipping point of all to reverse.

4. I believe that if we remain on our current trajectory relative to the man-made climate change issue, that we will destroy all life (not just our own) on this planet well before the end of this century. I wrote a book about this very possibility last year, and I'm currently preparing its 2nd edition for 2016. I have attached a free PDF copy of the first edition for your reading and opinion, if you are interested. You may also share it with others as you please.

I look forward to your response.

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!

Attached file:
burstingtheatmosphere_1stedition2014_3.pdf
08-10-2015 22:35
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
trafn wrote:
Hi Earthling,

It seems IBdaMann is suggesting in his post, above, that you and I are on the same page regarding man-made climate change. If so, I apologize for my misinterpretation of your prior posts.

I should have specified more clearly that he is not of the man-made" catastrophist sect.

He believes in "greenhouse" gases and that earth would be an ice ball if it weren't for the CO2 in our atmosphere, hence he adheres to strict, fundamentalist "greenhouse effect" catechism.

Earthling is firmly convinced that "climate" is defined within the body of science because he found that word in his dictionary.

It's just that your denomination's theology about humanity's ability to negatively affect the "climate" is opposed by his denomination.

John Christy is Earthling's minister and is quoted far too often, but Christy is definitely mobilizing his denomination against yours.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
08-10-2015 22:47
(779)
You mean a kind of global warming war of the words?

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
RE: Indoctrination works.09-10-2015 11:07
EarthlingProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(107)
drm wrote:That video clip merely shows Schneider commenting that taking actions (geoengineering) to intentionally warm the planet are risky. Nowhere in it does he say that global cooling is a threat or likely. And it's hard to know the context for the 45 second clip. Can you find anything in which he specifically says that global cooling is a serious threat?
The ice-age U-turn that set the stage for the climate debate
https://simpleclimate.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/the-ice-age-u-turn-that-set-the-stage-for-the-climate-debate/

"We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science." John Christy
Edited on 09-10-2015 11:17
09-10-2015 11:16
(107)
Ceist wrote:
Expecting the Unexpected: Abrupt Climate Change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=419&v=EmIkppjplqU

As Prof Richard Alley says in the video above "The uncertainties are mostly on the 'bad' side"
Global Warming where is the alarm? with Dr. John Christy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=UcGgLoPpbBw

"We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science." John Christy
09-10-2015 11:23
(107)
trafn wrote:
Hi drm,

Yes, it would seem given Earthling's defensive refusal to address my request for clarification, that like another member of our community, he is only behaving in this manner so as to draw attention to himself and create conflict on this website. It also raises the likelihood, as you suggested, that he really has little of value to add to this thread at this time.

Perhaps Earthling will reconsider his approach here and become a valued member of our community. As for now, the type of behavior he displays resembles that of a child who lacks the maturity to interact politely with adults.

I'd suggest we leave him in the corner where he belongs. Shall we?

Does that mean I'm not invited to belong to your gang of climate catastrophist crusaders and that I've been black balled unless I behave like the other sheeple?

I'm a proud denier, allegedly.

09-10-2015 11:48
(107)
trafn wrote:
Hi Earthling,

It seems IBdaMann is suggesting in his post, above, that you and I are on the same page regarding man-made climate change.
In some ways we're all on the same page.
trafn wrote:If so, I apologize for my misinterpretation of your prior posts.
Apology accepted.
trafn wrote:To see if we really do share at least some common ground, here are a few of my positions:

1. I believe that man-made climate change does exist,
Agreed.
trafn wrote:and has so since the mid-1800's.
Why not go back to when man learned how to make fire?
trafn wrote:2. I believe that prior events like acid-rain and the damaged ozone hole are proof that people can detrimentally influence the atmosphere as well as both the weather and the climate which it (the atmosphere) produces. Our response to these two past issues also proves to me that we can, when so inclined to do so, correct at least some of our mistakes.
Acid rain was a joke, and I'll wait until the ozone hole closes before congratulating those who signed the Montreal Protocol.
trafn wrote:
3. I believe that there are many crucial tipping points of no return involved in man-made climate change, the most important of these being the event which occurred at Spindletop, Texas, at 10:30 a.m. on January 10th, 1901. This particular tipping point produced a radical and abrupt change to our values, which may make it the most difficult tipping point of all to reverse.
I don't share your faith.
trafn wrote:
4. I believe that if we remain on our current trajectory relative to the man-made climate change issue, that we will destroy all life (not just our own) on this planet well before the end of this century. I wrote a book about this very possibility last year, and I'm currently preparing its 2nd edition for 2016. I have attached a free PDF copy of the first edition for your reading and opinion, if you are interested. You may also share it with others as you please.

I look forward to your response.
OMG, THE END IS NIGH.

09-10-2015 16:17
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Earthling wrote:
trafn wrote:and has so since the mid-1800's.

Why not go back to when man learned how to make fire?

Why not go back to when the first human took a dump?

Earthling wrote: THE END IS NIGH[/b].

I thought it already happened. Haven't we already destroyed "Climate"?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-10-2015 17:36
(107)
It isn't possible to 'destroy' something you don't believe exists.
09-10-2015 18:55
drm
★☆☆☆☆
(67)
Earthling wrote:
It isn't possible to 'destroy' something you don't believe exists.

It is if you're wrong.
09-10-2015 20:16
(779)
Earthling, it may not be possible to destroy something you don't believe exist, but it is possible to be destroyed by something you don't understand.

As for your and IBdaMann's comments on fire (and dumping), even petrochemical use can be absorbed to a point, and at the turn of the last century there were far fewer people around emitting far fewer GHG's which, for the most part, the atmosphere and planet could adjust to without being over taxed (taxed in the ecological sense, not the monetary one). Today with 7 Billion plus people on board the numbers are entirely different and the planet's operating on overload.

I'm amazed both of you have such cheery positions on where we're headed with all of this. Especially you, Earthling, as you say you at least believe man-made climate change does exist. If you do, how far do you think its serious impacts will go?
09-10-2015 22:51
(107)
I'm cheerful for simple reasons.
Almost 75, healthy, wealthy, happy, warm, comfortable and haven't had to work since 1988.
I didn't inherit money, or win it, it was earned by physical labour and planning, now I'm enjoying it.

I'm not sure where you think "we're headed" at all, because no one living today will be harmed by "anthropogenic" climate change, it's too minuscule to count.
10-10-2015 00:04
(779)
You're right in that not many people of your generation will be around to see how bad it gets. So I can see you "I don't give a shit, cause it won't bother me" attitude. We, as a species, are short lived and short sighted. We only tend to care, as you do, about what happens to you and your immediate world. But there's a lot more going on out there beyond your doorstep, and you're connected and contributing to it, whether you like it or not.

Nero played the fiddle. You play the retirement card. Enjoy!
Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate The 2 minute warning clock on climate change:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
'Mutual suicide': US issues stark warning on climate change6305-03-2021 23:42
Clock charge cellphones115-09-2019 17:50
The 'grandfather' of climate science leaves a final warning for Earth304-03-2019 00:46
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact